Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

Dead Space 3 Demo

• 85 results
    TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheIronWeasel

I just finished playing the Dead Space 3 demo on 360 and I have to say that I am not overly impressed. The section showcased was the same one from E3 2012, really action heavy, no atmosphere.

The weapon crafting system seems pretty neat though, they have essentially made it so you can carry 4 weapons but two serve as alternate fires (if you choose to have the plasma cutter rotate you are locked out of a secondary fire which brings you down to 3 weapons total) you choose from a weapon frame, a main tool and a secondary tool and 2 attachments. This was probably the thing I liked the most.

They leaned heavily on the cinematic moments and there was a QTE section (not new for Dead Space). Overall though what I played didn't impress me, there is something about fighting humans/necromorphs with guns that felt really out of place in a Dead Space game.

Has anyone else checked out the demo? What are your impressions?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By spankingaddict

I didn't even know there was a demo .

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@spankingaddict: Ea was offering sign ups for an early access code to the demo. I got mine via email today.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

Demo? Is it on PSN? Co-op?

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@Venatio: Demo is co-op, but I cannot recall if PSN was an option when I signed up.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ducksworth

@Venatio said:

PSN will get it January 22nd. 360 users are able to get the demo early by following Dead Space on twitter or something like that.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I like the setting a lot, but I do a few issues with it. I don't care for the crafting system. It seems totally fine but its not what I'm looking for in a Dead Space game. I like having a set amount of weapons, each with their own strengths and negatives. Continuing with weapons, the universal ammo bugs the shit out of me. combine that with the crafting and you just create a system where you look online for the best weapon and craft that and use nothing else.

Fighting humans felt really lame. Also I felt like I wasn't getting the good hit reactions when I shot enemies.

I'm sure the game will be fine but I get the feeling I'm not going to have the same passion for it the way I have with the Dead Space and Dead Space 2.

Also I was looking in the game settings and there's something called retro mode. Anybody know what that's about?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

By the way if you play it I recommend you go to settings and switch the aiming to classic. It changes to weapon handing back to original dead space. Why that isn't the default is beyond me.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I got a code too but I decided the 1.9 GB would be a waste of time so I gave it away.

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@JeanLuc: I am running on an hour of sleep, I completely missed the universal ammo. I agree about the hit reactions and the weapons. The cover mechanics felt really, really weak.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@JeanLuc I'm confused about the set amount of weapons part, what do you mean? Like if they took out the RPG levelling up your gun with nodes part? You could always have choice in how you 'built up' your gun, now it's just a little more involved with actually building the specs to your guns.

As "you just look up the best combo and never change it", I can't make a logical difference between "I built the best gun and now I'll always use it" and "I put all the nodes into the Plasma Cutter so I'm using it the entire game".

And really lets face it; it's Dead Space so you just carry the Force Gun everywhere because everything wants to fuck you at melee range and the Force Gun is like God's Shotgun. If anything humans might create more ranged combat, and the wider areas make it a little less repetitive. Dead Space kind of suffers the BioShock problem of "all melee enemies, all corridors, use the shotgun for everything".
    TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@JeanLuc: I am going to try this out now, I also completely missed that.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Crixaliz

@Turtlebird95 said:

I got a code too but I decided the 1.9 GB would be a waste of time so I gave it away.

Oh wow, I was planing to download it when it came out on PSN but 1.9GB is too much for a demo.

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@Brodehouse: When you use a bench you have the option to craft weapons from parts that you find along the way. IE. Hilt, Tool 1 (primary fire) with one modifier, Tool 2 (secondary fire) with one modifier, then two attachments (in the demo there was something about Stasis) and I didn't come across a second one. For example you can craft an assault rifle with a mod to make it burst fire and a line gun as its secondary fire and a modifier to change the nature of how the line gun fires.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@JeanLuc said:

By the way if you play it I recommend you go to settings and switch the aiming to classic. It changes to weapon handing back to original dead space. Why that isn't the default is beyond me.

Hmm? So what's the default like in comparison to its Classic setting? Wait... does the default setting give you a regular crosshair instead of the laser sights?

TheIronWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheIronWeasel

@Yummylee: Yes, it doesn't draw the entire laser sight on the default setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@TheIronWeasel

@Brodehouse: When you use a bench you have the option to craft weapons from parts that you find along the way. IE. Hilt, Tool 1 (primary fire) with one modifier, Tool 2 (secondary fire) with one modifier, then two attachments (in the demo there was something about Stasis) and I didn't come across a second one. For example you can craft an assault rifle with a mod to make it burst fire and a line gun as its secondary fire and a modifier to change the nature of how the line gun fires.

Dude that sounds AWESOME.

What I would actually like from a Dead Space game is something like a Metroidvania setup, where finding a new weapon through exploring lets you open new areas to continue progressing. Where each weapon is an important story point, not just there in the store for you to buy.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

Dead Space 3 is a game I know I'm going to play no matter what, so I'm gonna stay away from the demo. I'm part of the problem.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@TheIronWeasel said:

Haha, that's uncanny.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Yummylee said:

@TheIronWeasel said:

Haha, that's uncanny.

It felt weird. Like its ok but not Dead Space. And as far as the crafting goes, I mean its seems fine, I just don't think its for me. I've never been a huge crafting guy anyways.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Deranged

Haven't received my code yet. Oh well, I'm anxious to see how this game turns out. I'm hopeful for it to surprise me and I always love the addition of co-op.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HerbieBug

Hey, your new game sold pretty well and had good word of mouth. We'd like to sign you on for an additional five games with this IP, but let's talk about smoothing out some of these ideas of yours. D:

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By big_jon

Still have not been emailed my code. >:(

EvanFavreau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By EvanFavreau

Boy, I don't know. It could still turn out to be great, but the unnecessarily-complicated crafting system and the dude fighting worry me. Looks pretty though (except for an isolated spot where the frame rate dropped to low digits, and then to ZERO.)

@JeanLuc said:

That's good to know, the aiming & shooting was one of my complaints as well. Seemed...off.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By big_jon

Still no damn code. FU EA!!

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MiniPato

@TooWalrus said:

Dead Space 3 is a game I know I'm going to play no matter what, so I'm gonna stay away from the demo. I'm part of the problem.

It's a game that I'm cautiously pessimistic about. Huge fan of Dead Space 1 and 2 and what I've heard of 3 sounds disappointing. So I decided after viewing that E3 demo that I'm not going to watch any more previews, demos, screenshots or read any articles about Dead Space 3 in hopes that my expectations have been lowered enough to enjoy it despite the worrying changes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By toowalrus

@MiniPato said:

@TooWalrus said:

It's a game that I'm cautiously pessimistic about. Huge fan of Dead Space 1 and 2 and what I've heard of 3 sounds disappointing. So I decided after viewing that E3 demo that I'm not going to watch any more previews, demos, screenshots or read any articles about Dead Space 3 in hopes that my expectations have been lowered enough to enjoy it despite the worrying changes.

Yeah, I can't say I'm particularly excited by what I've seen, but like you said, I'm a huge fan of the first two games, so even if 3 doesn't quite live up to it's predecessors... I'm still going to play it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By amir90

For those who tried out Co-op, can you pick/decide difficulty settings for each, or do both have to be on the same difficulty setting?

@TooWalrus said:

Good to see that I am not alone on that.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By big_jon

STILL NO CODE! DAMN YOU EA!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Sackmanjones

Bummer it's not on psn yet. Guess ill just be reading comments....

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31  Edited By natetodamax

I'm tentatively excited for the game. I don't think it needed combat against human enemies, but I haven't played the demo yet so I don't know for sure. It's definitely not a day 1 purchase for me.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Sackmanjones

Oh god, this thread reads extremely similarly to the 6 demo thread. Now I had a good time with re6 but it was overall a disappointing experience. I REALLY hope I'm not disappointed with this game. I don't mind some heavy action mixed in with scary elements (F.E.A.R and dead space 2 did it quite well) but I am really hungry for a tense, atmospheric game.

SpaceKangaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#33  Edited By SpaceKangaroo

I thought the demo opened up well, but then lots of open areas and fighting guys with guns behind cover wasn't great.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BoOzak

@amir90 said:

For those who tried out Co-op, can you pick/decide difficulty settings for each, or do both have to be on the same difficulty setting?

@TooWalrus said:

Good to see that I am not alone on that.

Me too ;(

It's for this reason developers keep dumbing down their games to appeal to a broader audience, they know they're going to alienate the fans but it doesnt matter sales wise. We're just too damned weak willed.

(Saying that I tend to rent games so in the end I WIN!)

(RIP Blockbusters)

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By XenoNick

I found the demo OK until cover and crouching was introduced. I found it bizarre that you couldn't crouch and aim at the same time. Why put it in there. ( I've only played the demo once, while half asleep so I need to go through it again)

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By kerse

Crafting seems fine for a dead space game playing as Isaac, he is an engineer after all. But everything else worries me, definitely won't be buying it day one because I need to hear how it turns out first.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanmgraef

I played it.i had been on the fence and I feel better now.feels just like dead space.i liked the gun combo system.and am super anxious to play co op! Also ending teaser did its job well.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By colourful_hippie

@TooWalrus said:

@MiniPato said:

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah, I can't say I'm particularly excited by what I've seen, but like you said, I'm a huge fan of the first two games, so even if 3 doesn't quite live up to it's predecessors... I'm still going to play it.

I'm in the same boat, I just have to know despite already knowing that the idea of shooting humans and the whole coop (yes I know it's optional) nonsense just sounds stupid and unappealing to me. I would like to say that I'll wait for it to be cheap but it being only on Origin I doubt it will be discounted for a while. I'll just wait a week after launch on the off chance there's a 10% discount somewhere.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#39  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

the demo was underwhelming to me because of the atmosphere.... There wasn't any

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WarlordPayne

The gun crafting system really got my attention. Being able to take every primary and alt fire from the previous two games, plus some, and put them together in any pair I want is incredible. You can run around with a pulse rifle with the force gun primary as your alt fire so any time anyone gets close you just blast them back and finish them off. You can even put the exact same gun on primary and alt fire so you can essentially double your ammo before you need to reload.

Then there are mods that can add a scope, or make you immune to explosive damage, or increase magazine size, or add fire damage, or give bullets a stasis effect and so on and you get to add two of those, and then there are slots that work a bit more like the sockets in earlier Dead Space games that are straight stat boosts.

I spent over an hour just playing around with different weapon combos in the weapon customization section of the demo.

As for the gameplay itself, it seemed fine. I didn't particularly like the combat in Dead Space 2 so I wasn't expecting much, and that's what I got.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jimmyfenix

oh man 22nd hurry the heck up! mgr and dead space 3 demo!

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By deathbyyeti

Its a modern video game

Lazy design and gameplay with huge emphasis on fixtures, hand holding, and "epic scale"

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NTM

@Ducksworth said:

@Venatio said:

PSN will get it January 22nd. 360 users are able to get the demo early by following Dead Space on twitter or something like that.

No, you just have to, or had to sign up for it on the Dead Space site, that's all.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

I don't really need to play the demo because I'm going to buy it first day anyways, so I passed on the early access, more so considering it was for the system that I'm not even getting the game on when I buy it. I'll probably try the demo on the 22nd though. I absolutely love Dead Space, and I'm playing two again; nearly done with my twelfth playthrough. I think I'll go back to the original tonight as well.

Dead Space is already one of my favorite series, in all of media, and if three is a great game as well, then that'll be the first time that I've truly loved all games in a trilogy. There's always one game in a trilogy that's either not great, or just underwhelming, and that's usually the second game; good thing Dead Space 2 was absolutely fantastic to me, then again, Assassin's Creed 3 was mostly mediocre to me, and God of War 3 was underwhelming.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45  Edited By spiceninja

It really feels like EA is trying to milk the series for all it's worth and has turned it into an extremely linear, extremely boring, handholdy game that isn't scary and has stripped out everything I love about Dead Space. It's a boring action heavy 3rd person shooter now and that is not at all what I come to Dead Space for.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sooty

Sad to hear, Dead Space 2 on hardcore was rather satisfying.

LordLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LordLOC

Anyone want to do some coop with the demo? I'm not sure if I should just post my gamertag or not, being this thread wasn't started for that purpose (I assume). But hey, I'm having a hell of a hard time finding anyone to coop with, let alone anyone who actually wants to FINISH the demo level....

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mrsignerman44

All I want, is for the story to be as excellent as it was in Dead Space 2. I don't care if it's not scary, I just want this to feel like a good conclusion(?) to the series.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jillsandwich

I loved the demo, it actually got me feeling good about the game for the first time.

I loved the atmosphere, the soundtrack, it looks fucking AMAZING, I think the weappon crafting is fascinating and it legitimately made me jump a few times. Also, that drill sequence freaked the fuck out of me. And the human enemies were not at all a problem, seems like every time that you encounter dudes that have guns, they get snatched up and torn to shreds by some horrific tentacle monster within thirty seconds.

Then, I played the co-op with a friend and I thought all the dialogue was terrible.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50  Edited By natetodamax

I was pretty impressed by the demo, largely because I was disappointed when I saw that there was combat vs human enemies. I still don't think Dead Space needs that, but what I played in the demo was fine. The chaos that ensued when Necromorphs came into the firefight and starting attacking both sides was a pretty cool moment that we haven't seen in a Dead Space game before.

I didn't find the open environments to be as scary as the interiors of the first two games, though they looked gorgeous (and the game still ran at 60 FPS on consoles, which is great).

Assassin's Creed III taught me a lesson when it comes to buying games day 1 (which is to not do it in most cases). This won't be a day 1 purchase for me, but I'm still eager to play through it. Hopefully the game is still focused on encounters with Necromorphs and finds new ways to surprise the player, because I've gotten real good at identifying Dead Space monster closets in the other two games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.