Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

vsync locked to 30 fps on PC?

strangecargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By strangecargo

Anybody else have issues with this game being locked to 30 fps on PC when vsync is on? Getting 70-120 fps with vsync off, but I don't like the screen tearing.

Update: I was able to get 60 fps vsync by turning it off in game and then turning on adaptive vsync in the nvidia control panel. Makes the game feel so much smoother, but it's a real shame that the in-game settings are broken:(

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By superfriend

I don´t have Dead Space 3 and will probably never purchase it, but you could try this:

Force Vsync on by external means and leave the game´s vsync off. Depending on your graphics hardware, it would either have to be done in Catalyst Control Center or Nvidia Control panel. There are also a bunch of third party tools for vsync and the like.

If you have a Radeon card try Radeon Pro, it even has support for adaptive vsync, something the official drivers don´t do.

Edit: Ugh, a little to slow :P

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Marz

I think it's been like this since Dead Space 1.  But yeah i always use adaptive v-sync ever since they implemented it in nvidia drivers so much better than most in game v-syncs.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By project343

@strangecargo said:

but it's a real shame that the in-game settings are broken:(

Geek.com:

Steve Papoutsis, executive producer on Dead Space 3, has confirmed that the PC version of the game is just a console port. It will not be optimized for the platform, meaning there won’t be DirectX 11 support and there won’t be any higher detail textures included beyond the 720p/1080p versions that ship in the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

The first two Dead Space games had the same issue. They both had no issues crashing or losing saves or whatever; if I'm going to get a bad port then I'll take one that works all the time except for Vsync than one whose options work but the game keeps having issues. Lookin' at you, Halo 2.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By deox

I had the same issue in the the first two games, just force Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel, and turn it off in-game. This worked for me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr

I think most games lock fps when vsync is on?

Dunno, I've definitely noticed this on other titles in the past.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Zurv

vsync normally locks to the refresh rate.. which normally isn't 30 but 60.. ugh :(

FU dead space 3... /me goes to try the vysnc off via control panel

abomunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By abomunist

30 is fine if the game is fun.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@abomunist: For you. Not for me and many others. The game has to be exceptional - say Dark Souls - for me to bother with 30.

Glad to hear you fixed it, since I pre-ordered DS3 literally two minutes before I came here. Never had any issues with forced vsync via d3doverrider in DS1 and DS2.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty

@abomunist said:

That isn't the point though and something I like about PC gaming is being able to play at 60.

60 is the norm for me.

@Zurv said:

vsync normally locks to the refresh rate.. which normally isn't 30 but 60.. ugh :(

FU dead space 3... /me goes to try the vysnc off via control panel

They lock to the refresh rate but some (usually so-so ports) games lock it at 30 instead of 59 or 60.

oops replied to the wrong one, but yah.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

Isn't vsync supposed to sync the game to the refresh rate of your monitor? Doesn't that make syncing at 30 FPS not synching at all?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

@Ravenlight said:

Isn't vsync supposed to sync the game to the refresh rate of your monitor? Doesn't that make syncing at 30 FPS not synching at all?

SHUT UP WITH YER LOGIC.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By StarFoxA

@abomunist said:

Haha, yeah, anytime I see people complaining about framerate I'm like "I would kill to just be able to RUN the game!"

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie
    @StarFoxA

@abomunist said:

Haha, yeah, anytime I see people complaining about framerate I'm like "I would kill to just be able to RUN the game!"

And some people like better quality, shocker.
    Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dacnomaniac

I don't have a solution, and this post isn't useful. With that said. THIS PORT IS FUCKING TERRIBLE AND NOBODY SHOULD BUY IT. That is all.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superfriend

Once you´ve seen a game run at a solid 60 frames on a modern display, you don´t want to go back. It may take a while for your brain/eyes to adjust, but after that you´re just lying to yourself if you say there´s nothing wrong with 30.

That said, there are a few relatively modern games out there that have stupid vsync/framerate-limiting issues on the PC. Crysis 2 for example only runs at something like 25 frames when you display it via HDMI cable.. same thing with Trine 1 (at least for me). The solution in that case was getting some ghetto-ass tool from "mycrysis.com" (yeah, real funny that one) and basically overriding the 1080p/24hz limit it imposed on your display.

In short: Fix yer PC ports and especially yer vsync issues, developers!

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@StarFoxA

@abomunist said:

And some people like better quality, shocker.

No, I understand how it is, if I had a machine capable of running a game like Dead Space 3 at 60+ fps, I'd want that, but on this computer I'd settle for sub 30 fps if I could get it, haha.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killacam

Question from a first time PCer long-time consoler: a bad PC port is generally far better than its console counterpart, yes?

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By linkster7

Is there anyone with an AMD card that managed to fix this?

I've changed the application settings in CCC and even tried Radeon Pro, but for some reason the force Vsync won't take.

This is driving me absolutely nuts.

EDIT: Me stupid. If anyone else are having the same issue, download the preview build of Radeon Pro and use adaptiv vsync. I should say I solved this by reading

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jack268
    @killacam: Not if the game is unplayable no 

And I mean if it's locked to the same graphical quality as the console counterpart which happens in some PC ports it doesn't matter.
    squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By squiDc00kiE

I've found most in-game settings kind of useless. Nvidia Inspector has been far more reliable for me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Bollard

@AlexW00d said:

@Ravenlight said:

SHUT UP WITH YER LOGIC.

I think it should be a multiple of your refresh rate (which 30 is).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By AlexW00d

@Chavtheworld said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Ravenlight said:

SHUT UP WITH YER LOGIC.

30 isn't a multiple it's a factor. PRIMARY SCHOOL MATHS DAWG.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Bollard

@AlexW00d said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Ravenlight said:

SHUT UP WITH YER LOGIC.

30 isn't a multiple it's a factor. PRIMARY SCHOOL MATHS DAWG.

Well it's not an integer multiple but 0.5x still reduces the effect of having a framerate that doesn't match up with your monitor refresh rate.

abomunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By abomunist

I understand that some people want a high framerate.

But here's an analogy: a vast majority of films throughout history run at 24fps. It's what happens within that 24fps that makes the difference.

In an interactive medium like videogames, higher framerates can make a difference in the level of immersion and accuracy. But not necessarily. As long as it's at least above the level where my eye can no longer perceive the slideshow, I'm happy. As long as it doesn't dip past 30, I'm fine. At that point, I'm paying attention to narrative, gameplay logic, and visual presentation.

Here's a neat fact: most parrots see at 160hz. Every man-made light source must look like a terrible strobe light to them.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bybeach

In another thread the OP directed readers to a you-tube video. The upshot was that Adaptive Vsync(what you did) is an excellent way to go. I am not a real computer literate guy(built my first box 2 winters ago) but it seems a good way to go.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@abomunist said:

I like my framerate like I like my women.

Doubled.

I rarely get either.

strangecargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By strangecargo

@abomunist said:

I understand that some people want a high framerate.

But here's an analogy: a vast majority of films throughout history run at 24fps. It's what happens within that 24fps that makes the difference.

In an interactive medium like videogames, higher framerates can make a difference in the level of immersion and accuracy. But not necessarily. As long as it's at least above the level where my eye can no longer perceive the slideshow, I'm happy. As long as it doesn't dip past 30, I'm fine. At that point, I'm paying attention to narrative, gameplay logic, and visual presentation.

Here's a neat fact: most parrots see at 160hz. Every man-made light source must look like a terrible strobe light to them.

I think it's pretty well-established that most people can notice the difference between 24/30fps and higher frame rates. Otherwise people wouldn't complain about the "Mexican soap opera" effect on 120Hz TVs or the 48fps prints of The Hobbit. For this particular game, I noticed a big difference in the gameplay "feel" once I managed to get 60fps without screen tearing. For other types of games, though, I agree about 30fps being totally fine; with the right post-processing, it could actually make the game feel more cinematic, since everybody is used to seeing films at 24fps, plus the motion blur that comes with it.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zenmastah

Been playing with a solid 60 for ages and for my eyes when i dip below that the game becomes almost unplayable every time..

Ive been trying to finish L.A. Noire for awhile, but my eyes begin to hurt after awhile.

So yeah, there definetly is a difference between 30 and 60 frames.

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By decko5

I don't notice any screen tearing by having vsync OFF. Fuck, now I want to try getting it to run at 60FPS with vsync ON. Last time I used Catalyst Control Center I fucked up my system.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By colourful_hippie

Just don't use the in game v sync, enabling v sync through nvidia control panel gets me 60 with no screen tearing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.