Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

What happened with the story?

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At the end of dead space 2, you find a text log about some guy named the Overseer who was apparently behind all of the markers Earth Gov was doing. Then in DS3 they do a total 180 and go the unitology route. Wondered what happened there... Well the EA trilogy curse continues I guess. Hopefully Dragon Age 3 can change that.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The earth Gov thing has been going on since the marker was first discovered. The reason the story changed was because Clarke more or less said "Fuck it" and went into hiding until Ellie went missing.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're probably best off not thinking too hard about the story, as I'm pretty sure the devs didn't either.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supposedly, the DLC coming soon will lengthen the ending.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@0blivion: I don't even want to talk about the ending haha that was just dumb. I just thought that they had a really good setup after DS2 and they wasted. Maybe we'll see something better in future pre/sequels.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Voxus

@jayeh said:

@0blivion: I don't even want to talk about the ending haha that was just dumb. I just thought that they had a really good setup after DS2 and they wasted. Maybe we'll see something better in future pre/sequels.

Honestly, I'm hoping them to blow me away with the DLC. I want something batshit crazy. Like the DLC ending in Asuras Wrath. The whole Ellie.... Ellie!? thing really soured my experience.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@0blivion said:

Supposedly, the DLC coming soon will lengthen the ending.

Oh please no... I'm hoping this will be another side-story like Severed was for DS2, with a new protagonist and everything. I haven't cared about Isaac since DS2 and it baffles me as to why he's the star of the series -- so much so that they felt they had to bolt that crappy cliff-hanger at the very end implying that Isaac is still alive..? I mean would anyone actually care if Isaac was killed off for good? Frankly McNeil and Gabe from Extraction were much more likeable characters I'd say, yet they're the ones that had to be killed off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

From the first few lines of dialogue in DS3, they mention how EarthGov has all but fallen apart and the Unitologists are running the show. Plus there was already hints throughout the series that the Unitologists had infiltrated the highest levels of EarthGov. I'm sure there's some novel or transmedia thing that shows the internal power struggle.

I'm actually fine with the end boss, I'm not going to be all snooty like Scoops (more like Snoots amirite?), but I found the post-credits dialogue to be kind of a letdown. In the exact same Solid Snake MGS4 way. They looked at doing something brave and they blinked.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BisonHero

@brodehouse said:

I'm not going to be all snooty like Scoops (more like Snoots amirite?), but I found the post-credits dialogue to be kind of a letdown. In the exact same Solid Snake MGS4 way. They looked at doing something brave and they blinked.

Patrick is snooty about games he either hasn't played or had only a brief, outdated experience with FAR MORE FREQUENTLY than he ever gets any actual news scoops (though his interview-based pieces with developers are quite interesting). I propose that we all start calling him Snoots from now on.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By kerse

So the ending... did they really just pull another "all-story"? Ancient race of aliens wants to eat all life in the galaxy and are the moons, basically they're reapers, another race of ancient aliens did what they could to stop it and left clues to help and were turned into slaves for the moon things. And Isaac is the only one who can stop it because of the needle thing only he can understand their language or whatever. And that alien machine is basically the crucible, I'm not even sure how it was functional at the end there but whatever I guess. Guys I'm not sure if I can take video games doing this story anymore. Dead Space didn't have the most interesting story up til 3 but damn this was disappointing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EXTomar

That is doubly like ME3. :/ "The story we built up before doesn't matter. So we are replacing it in the third chapter and we'll fill in the gaps with DLC."

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mrsignerman44

While I liked Dead Space 3, I thought that the story could have definitely been better. When I heard that log at the end of 2, I thought that Ellie and Isaac were going to go from planet to planet destroying markers and discovering why the overseer is so interested in creating markers. While they ditched the whole overseer thing and went straight for "aliens" as a way of explaining that, I hope that we'll get to still see Ellie, Isaac and Carver travelling around space destroying markers( or moons now, rather) in Dead Space 4.

Since all of the chapters spell BROTHER MOONS ARE AWAKE, I'm starting to think that this is where the series is headed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.