Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

What's the point of New Game+?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

So I recently completed Dead Space 3 on coop, overall thoughts are it's OK. Heap load of issues left and right, and it's undoubtedly the worst Dead Space of the three but eh, it's still OK. I want to write up a user-review in any case, but I feel like I should actually put in some time with it from a single-player perspective at that. So considering that you can then just replay any chapter you wish with all of your gear, from any difficulty, that got me wondering just what exactly is the point of NG+? Does it unlock something extra? Because it doesn't say as such on the menu and its description reads pretty much what I can already do now, just currently with more freedom since I've already got all of the chapters unlocked as it is.

I suppose it's purely for those additional circuit upgrades you can find? I could just start a new game+ but I'm admittedly a little hesitant... I'd rather be completely sure of what could happen and furthermore if there's really any reason to anyway.

Also, extra question: For classic mode, I take it you can still only carry 2 weapons at a time?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Everything carries over. So you can clean up any missed items and the what not. Nothing sure special.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Everything carries over. So you can clean up any missed items and the what not. Nothing sure special.

But again, I can already just play through any chapter as it is with everything unlocked on any difficulty to go back and pick up any missed collectibles or completing every chapter on Impossible mode ect. without starting a NG+ playthrough.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @yummylee said:

@the_laughing_man

said:

But again, I can already just play through any chapter as it is with everything unlocked on any difficulty to go back and pick up any missed collectibles or completing every chapter on Impossible mode ect. without starting a NG+ playthrough.

* shrugs*

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Teran

@yummylee said:
    @the_laughing_man said:

New Game+ has better item drops. Weapon parts in the main story part of the game are often replaced with MKII weapon parts. You also start seeing +3/+1 , +3/+2 , and +3/+3 circuits though this isn't much of a bonus if you collected everything your first time through and already have access to the +3/+3 some of those unlock.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could use New Game + to obtain some of the +3 nodes and Mk-II weapon parts. But you can also get these things by beating the game on a higher difficulty on your existing save file and playing Pure Survival mode (which you should try anyway).

There's a point, it just isn't a good one.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm also sure that having NG+ as a bullet point was a big thing for the marketing department if they weren't going to include competitive multiplayer.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could use New Game + to obtain some of the +3 nodes and Mk-II weapon parts. But you can also get these things by beating the game on a higher difficulty on your existing save file and playing Pure Survival mode (which you should try anyway).

There's a point, it just isn't a good one.

Man, I was so eager to jump into a Pure Survival run... but as of now I'm currently through my 2nd run to complete it on Impossible mode, and I'm already feeling kinda exhausted with the game. I had envisioned that I would Platinum the fuck outta this like I did with the first two, but considering that I've already put in like 36 hours so far and I've still got at least another 3 playthroughs to go, amongst a lotta collectible hunting, I'm not so sure if I can be bothered.

Camoufrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I can relate. I have gotten the platinum trophy for the last two Dead Space games, but I am REALLY not looking forward to doing anything like that this time around. It's odd because I like the game, just many more enticing things to do right now.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By nerdsbeware

@yummylee: It's odd because I like the game, just many more enticing things to do right now.

I always have grand ambitions to play a NG+ on games that I really like (I'm on chapter 13 so far in DS3 and yea it's alright) but then I never end up doing it. Even for games that I really really like, I just finish and game and either move on to the next big release or play something in my backlog. I wish games sometimes gave more incentive (other than say achievements or whatever) to go back and play through them again. I mean like someone else said above, they do, maybe they just aren't enough incentive for me. Possibly ME1 & ME2 are the only games I've gone back and done a NG+ on, but those are kinda different I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.