Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

A discrepancy I found in the Dead Space cannon. SPOILER

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So I just finished watching Dead Space: Downfall and something is not sitting right with me. In the movie all the necromorphs cannot come close to the Marker and it keeps them at bay which is a complete contrast to the game where they have no problem getting close to it. 

Did anyone here noticed that too? 

EDIT: I did not noticed I put two N's on the title. Too late now...

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ
    @Mordukai: I actually see 6 "N"s in the title. 7 if you lop off the top of the h. :P
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai
    @AgentJ:  LOL. You know what I meant wise ass.  I am kinda surprised no one noticed that discrepancy in the game and the movie. 
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

I'm not too up on my Dead Space fiction, but wasn't one of the markers a fake? 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai
    @Br3adfan: Well there were two but the one in the game was reversed engineered from an artifact  found on earth. 
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By delta_ass

Yea, I tried to fire that cannon, but it just wouldn't work. It was really bizarre.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Br3adfan: Well there were two but the one in the game was reversed engineered from an artifact  found on earth.  "
    Oh alright.  It's been a while since I've played Dead Space. 

There must have been some sort of miscommunication between the people working on the movie and the game, or something.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By DrRandle

There were a couple discrepancies between the movie, the comic book, and the game. My biggest irk is the killing of Captain Mathias. They showed it in a vid log in Dead Space and it happened differently in Downfall.

I assume the entire team wasn't responsible for all the projects so I'm sure smaller details got by, sure. I'd be willing to wager Extraction has a discrepancy or two itself. In the end though, I really like the game and all it's surrounding media. Dead Space is a really interesting franchise and I can't wait to see what happens next.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai
    @DrRandle: Indeed. It seems that the different teams were not communicating very well in oder to keep the mythos unified on all the different media. Kinda ironic if you think about it since the central religion in the game is Unitology. 
    frostymunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By frostymunky

The original marker is not real. It was a fake, that was "reverse engineered". Obviously not the artifact made by the gods millions of years before. And if you think about it, there is at least 100 feet between where you can get attacked by Necromorphs, and where the artifact is. This is in the original game of course. How do you think that -what's her name- managed to take the artifact back through the facility? She only got taken out by Hivemind after the artifact was hidden from view on the front of the ship.  

Ps: Do you think that Dead Space 2 will be a continuation of the original game, after you find your girlfriend as a Necromorph on your escape shuttle?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

The Dead Space story is garbage so I'm surprised you're concerned.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By AuthenticM
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " The Dead Space story is garbage so I'm surprised you're concerned. "
    It always sucks when there are discrepencies between one story and another. It's basically proof that somebody somewhere did not do his job as he should've.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

I actually never watched the movie, thought about buying it, cause i loved the game. But i have heard from different people that it isn't that good of a movie.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By amir90

I noticed that, but I saw the movie after I completing the game.

It is indeed a great game, just recently finished it for the 5th time

Blaze2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blaze2312

Ok, Marker 3A(red marker) does indeed emmit electromagnetic spectra waves. These invisible waves do cause the recumbant virus/life form(necros) to go into dormancy. If you guys remember at the end of the original game. Isaac places the red marker back on it's pedistol(making it whole again) then the sorrounding necromorphs fall over dead, dormant. 

Also, once you complete the game you get 3 or 4 backlogs. You can find these in the Chapter 12 logbooks. Just bring up your already cleared game, go to isaacs rig and page over to chapter 12. Scroll down and you should find some extra backlogs. These backlogs give crucial information on how the  red marker(marker 3a) was created and how it got to the planet Aegis 7.  

So  the red Marker is able to cause the necros to "die" however, it does not put up a force field like wall that we saw in Dowfall. Instead it just causes them to fall over dead. I feel that it was a gameplay factor that should not have been left out....I know the colony level would have been a cake walk with the marker right next to you, but all the devs had to do was rewrite the colony level.......They could have Isaac place the Marker on the some type of air moving loading machine, that would transport the marker from one end of the colony to the Pedistal chamber room, without Isaac manually walking it there......... 

It was a huge inconsistancy that sghould not have been overlooked. All the different Dead Space devs need to come together and be on the same page for future franchise installments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.