Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Bring it, Dead Space.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mikeeegeee

I've heard mixed things as to whether or not Dead Space is scary. I've never played it, but the time is now. At midnight. Surround Sound. No lights. Whiskey.

And so One Man's challenge to make himself shit his own pants begins.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sixghost

Good luck to you, that's absolutely the correct way to play that game. It's never really SCREAM OUT LOUD AHHAHAAAAAAAAAA scary, more of a slowly increasing sense of dread that makes you want to turn on every light in your house after your done playing.

flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By flannelbeard
    @mikeeegeee: well, at least you are playing it the right way! :) enjoy it!
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Didn't find any part of that game scary, but hopefully you can immerse yourself in the game especially in that environment.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By big_jon

Playing it at night and alone will be scary, or atleast unnerving.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikeeegeee

I played last night for three hours, in pitch black and with surround sound, and I reasoned the following:   

• It is a scary game, but not in the department it most needed to be scary: combat. The enemies pop out at predictable times and from mostly predictable spots. They're bad at sneaking up on you, and they are not really that dangerous.

• Enemies drop ammo and health packs. Why? In terms of atmosphere and plot, it doesn't make a lick of sense. These abominations who want nothing more than to see me dead devolve into delivery receptacles for supplies. And not just any supplies: supplies that are vital to my survival.

• The strongest, scariest part of the game is the atmosphere. Sound and lighting are used to great effect to create truly horrific moments. Shadows danced across the wall, but when I turned around, there was nothing to be found. The game can be downright brilliant in that way.  

• Despite the achievements the game chalked up in terms of sound and lighting, I found very little actual danger posed by them. Ultimately, they only serve as indicators that monsters will be hopping out of an air vent after I walk past a certain point. A prime example where the game could improve: 
    I was working at a Work Bench in a newly discovered room of the ship. The room itself was in awful shape, and I was surprised I hadn't been jumped by monsters upon entering it. Still, I rushed to the Work Bench and began upgrading stuff. While I was doing this, the sound department had a field day. I heard some really nasty stuff and heavy breathing behind me. It crescendoed as something drew closer and closer to me. Finally, the anticipation of something drawing nearer to me became too much, and I almost mashed the 'B' button to exit the Work Bench, whip around, and blast whatever was behind me. But I hesitated. I decided to wait it out at the Work Bench to see if anything would actually tear me away from it. Nothing did. 

In my preliminary experience, I discovered that Dead Space delivers a highly polished experience, although I found it lacking in the horror department. For a real sense of urgency and terror, the game needs to abandon its "gamey" tropes. The disconnect between sound and immediate danger I illustrated at the Work Bench was a prime example. Enemies dropping items vital to my survival was another. The game empowers you in such a way, even from the beginning, that no challenge ever struck me as frightening. I never felt once that I was "surviving," which is unfortunate in a game that some have billed as "survival horror."

The truly scary shit? The scripted events: trapped people you're forced to watch die, a man beating his head against a wall until he kills himself, and more things of that nature. These events helped create an unnerving atmosphere that helped further the tension of the narrative. The actual moments where you had to fight for your life against truly horrendous creatures, ironically, did little in this regard.

Finally, I should offer a disclaimer that I'm playing the game on medium (which is perhaps to blame for some of my quibbles) and that I was a little drunk when I played. I understand if the above points strike you as redundant or nit-pickey, but I thank you for reading anyway.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

Some people treat whether something is scary or not as a test of manliness but with a game I find all you are doing it detracting from the experience. The appeal of the game is being scared. I don't see how you can really enjoy things without finding it a little scary. Good points though.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Hamst3r
    @mikeeegeee said:
    "Enemies drop ammo and health packs. Why? In terms of atmosphere and plot, it doesn't make a lick of sense. These abominations who want nothing more than to see me dead devolve into delivery receptacles for supplies. And not just any supplies: supplies that are vital to my survival."

Necromorphs have health packs and ammo because...
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @mikeeegeee: This is a two week old post, but fuck it: 

Try playing through on hard. Once you have two or three necromorphs bumrushing you that can kill you in a total of two or three hits and you're out of room to run, they will definitely scare the crap out of you and feel like a real threat.
    chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By chu52

for me it was all dread. first time i played it i had to immediately jump into need for speed hot pursuit afterward to calm my nerves

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By 02sfraser

Playing it with loud surround sound in the dark makes it a much scarier game. Apparently the 2nd is much worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.