Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Initial (bad) experience playing Dead Space

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

Edited By djames216

I just wanted to get some thoughts off my chest  while they were fresh in my mind.  I bought the PC version of Dead Space from Steam (I couldn't resist at £5.10).  Upon starting it up for the first time, the following things were on by default.  Vertical Sync and maximum brightness.  For those that don't know, Dead Space uses shadow and dark corners to good effect to establish atmosphere.  The brightness issue severely affected this, I didnt realise what the problem was straight away as I couldn't put my finger on it, but after a couple of hours of play, I finaly realised and corrected the error.  Amusingly, adjusting the game's brightness to its minimum garnered the perfect look.  Another thing that struck me was how unbelievably "floaty" the mouse cursor was on the menu screen, (barely moving the mouse would move the pointer almost off the screen) before I had even started the game.  I erroneously dismissed this problem at first, as I was playing it with a 360 controller.  So there I was, playing right up until chapter 5.  I hit a brick wall, I simply could not get past the boss encounter in this area.  I was very low on health and ammo and had no nodes and almost no credits.  Being fed up of hitting this wall, I googled for some help to defeat it.  I stumbled upon a post that detailed the "floaty mouse" problem and explained that V-Sync was to blame.  Turning off V-Sync completely solved the problem.  I was suddenly playing a much more repsonsive game that was no longer "floaty".  A game I feel I would've enjoyed more and progressed through more efficiently (and probably would'nt have hit that wall), if this problem hadn't occurred.  What puzzles me is why this degradation in performance was allowed to happen.  If you coudn't solve the v-sync problem developers, why have it on by default?

These issues could have easily been avoided by merely having different default settings.  But instead my experience of the game has been marred.  I decided to restart the game from scratch.  I am currently in chapter 1 and have more health and ammo than I know what to do with (this didn't happen first time round).  Thanks a lot E.A., while I may well complete it, I seriously doubt I will bother with the sequel, if this is how you sloppily implement a PC game.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By djames216

I just wanted to get some thoughts off my chest  while they were fresh in my mind.  I bought the PC version of Dead Space from Steam (I couldn't resist at £5.10).  Upon starting it up for the first time, the following things were on by default.  Vertical Sync and maximum brightness.  For those that don't know, Dead Space uses shadow and dark corners to good effect to establish atmosphere.  The brightness issue severely affected this, I didnt realise what the problem was straight away as I couldn't put my finger on it, but after a couple of hours of play, I finaly realised and corrected the error.  Amusingly, adjusting the game's brightness to its minimum garnered the perfect look.  Another thing that struck me was how unbelievably "floaty" the mouse cursor was on the menu screen, (barely moving the mouse would move the pointer almost off the screen) before I had even started the game.  I erroneously dismissed this problem at first, as I was playing it with a 360 controller.  So there I was, playing right up until chapter 5.  I hit a brick wall, I simply could not get past the boss encounter in this area.  I was very low on health and ammo and had no nodes and almost no credits.  Being fed up of hitting this wall, I googled for some help to defeat it.  I stumbled upon a post that detailed the "floaty mouse" problem and explained that V-Sync was to blame.  Turning off V-Sync completely solved the problem.  I was suddenly playing a much more repsonsive game that was no longer "floaty".  A game I feel I would've enjoyed more and progressed through more efficiently (and probably would'nt have hit that wall), if this problem hadn't occurred.  What puzzles me is why this degradation in performance was allowed to happen.  If you coudn't solve the v-sync problem developers, why have it on by default?

These issues could have easily been avoided by merely having different default settings.  But instead my experience of the game has been marred.  I decided to restart the game from scratch.  I am currently in chapter 1 and have more health and ammo than I know what to do with (this didn't happen first time round).  Thanks a lot E.A., while I may well complete it, I seriously doubt I will bother with the sequel, if this is how you sloppily implement a PC game.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By sixghost

Seems like the PC version gets ripped because of stuff like this all the time. It's great on consoles though :(

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By djames216

Minutes after completing Dead Space, I watched the Quick Look of Dead Space 2.  I must say, I'm sorely tempted to get it despite the problems I experienced with DS1.  Improvements in Dead Space 2 were immediately noticable to me. e.g. different coloured "breadcumb" lines for Bench, Store etc,  Reloading ammo while running.  Watching discarded empty clips pop up into the air when reloading.  Granted these are little things, but sometimes it's the little things that make something neat.

Anyway, here's hoping there are little to no problems with the PC version of Dead Space 2.

Clockworkfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Clockworkfool

I would just like to say that All the problems i had with Deadspace 1 were completely resolved in Deadspace 2. no floaty mouse, Very responsive gameplay. 

Everything is just a lot better.

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By djames216
    @Clockworkfool:  Thanks, that's reassuring to know.  After hearing the guys talk about the game's content on the podcast i.e. how some content is unlocked if you have this gamesave or own this game/comic/thing.  It occured to me that a GOTY  (PC) edition might be preferable in terms of the best shot at having as much content as possible unlocked in the game, assuming they even release such an edition.  Or is it the case that the content unlocked now is as much as we will get for the PC?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.