Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

So is the flamethrower actually useful for anything?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Shadow

I'm going through again on impossible but I remember not using the flamethrower much at all last time.  The pulse rifle too.  I just couldn't find a good use for them.  They don't have all that much power and you go through ammo like Jeff through choco tacos.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Shadow said:
    "I'm going through again on impossible but I remember not using the flamethrower much at all last time.  The pulse rifle too.  I just couldn't find a good use for them.  They don't have all that much power and you go through ammo like Jeff through choco tacos."
    yeah the flamethrower is not that much effective in this game since the enemies in dead space are wierd enemies . I mean all the enemies in the other games die when you cut off their head , but in this game you gotta cut off their limbs  LOL :D . the same goes for flamethrower .
    If you really like flamethrower though you should try Far Cry 2 !!!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

The flamethrower is actually perfect for when the big bloated slicers end up spewing out all the little crawly things that latch onto your back and you have to do the Macarena or whatever to get them off.

Yeah, the flamethrower works perfect for those.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    "The flamethrower is actually perfect for when the big bloated slicers end up spewing out all the little crawly things that latch onto your back and you have to do the Macarena or whatever to get them off.
    Yeah, the flamethrower works perfect for those.
    "
    I hate those guys. Everytime they jump me when I open a door. Then I mash A, they keep jumping on me. Dead Issac. Going to be fun on Impossible.
    kornholio360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kornholio360

It also works very well on the screaming guys that are attached to the wall by the 8 or so tentacle things and  shoot out the pods with one tentacle from its stomach. (God, I hate, yet at the same time, love trying to describe the different types of necromorphs.)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187

Bloated wall doods?  Yeah, maybe...but that flamethrower doesn't have much range to it, so it could pretty easily get you decapitated trying to do that.

I got my flamethrower fully upgraded last night, and really...I mean, it looks cool and all, but it's good for those little guys and MAYBE the first two levels of the game.  After that, it's almost completely worthless.  I've found that to be true with quite a few of the guns in the game.  The Plasma Cutter, no shit, is the best weapon in the game.  The Pulse Rifle is so fucking bleh.  The Line Gun is amazing.  Force Gun is cool for the mines it throws out, that's about it though.  Otherwise, you gotta be at SUPER close range.  The Ripper is probably the single worst weapon out of them all!!!  I can't kill shit with that thing to save my life.  Judging the distance of the blade from the gun is so difficult.  The Contact Beam is sweet for boss fights, but again, that's about it.  =  /
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Shadow

Really?  The ripper replaced the plasma cutter as my main weapon in my first playthrough.  You could do so much damage with so little ammo.  It's definately garbage if you're trying to deal with large groups though.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Flushes

The main problem with the flamethrower is that is has no stopping power at all... The slasher running at you just becomes a flaming slasher running at you unless you seriously hose it with something like 50 units of ammo.

As far as the other guns, I also found the pulse rifle to be borderline worthless. I hadn't really decided what weapon I wanted to dump my nodes into until I amassed something like 130 ripper blades over the course of 2 chapters... It was a pretty easy decision after that. Fully upgraded, the ripper severs the leg of any enemy in under a second and remains spinning for something like 6 more. If you have trouble judging distance with it, aim it at the floor and walk the trail of sparks up the legs of every enemy you see. The line gun is also incredibly nasty, but I wasn't rolling in line racks until fairly late in the game, limiting the weapon to a strictly situational role.

I also concur with the plasma cutter being off-the-rails awesome. The sound that comes out of that thing makes you feel like you're 10 feet tall.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Flushes said:
    "The main problem with the flamethrower is that is has no stopping power at all... The slasher running at you just becomes a flaming slasher running at you unless you seriously hose it with something like 50 units of ammo.

As far as the other guns, I also found the pulse rifle to be borderline worthless. I hadn't really decided what weapon I wanted to dump my nodes into until I amassed something like 130 ripper blades over the course of 2 chapters... It was a pretty easy decision after that. Fully upgraded, the ripper severs the leg of any enemy in under a second and remains spinning for something like 6 more. If you have trouble judging distance with it, aim it at the floor and walk the trail of sparks up the legs of every enemy you see. The line gun is also incredibly nasty, but I wasn't rolling in line racks until fairly late in the game, limiting the weapon to a strictly situational role.

I also concur with the plasma cutter being off-the-rails awesome. The sound that comes out of that thing makes you feel like you're 10 feet tall."
    Actually the flamethrower does have stopping power. Although I still think the weapon sucks, when you spray it upon an enemy they either fall on the ground or just stop in their place on fire. Still doesn't work as well as other guns though.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Flushes

When I say "stopping power," I pretty much mean the ability to immediately shoot the mobility-enabling parts of an enemy off. The flamethrower can do this, but it isn't as fast or precise as even the pulse rifle.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187

If you are having ammo problems, the solution is simple:  just equip that one weapon.

When I played through doing the One Gun achievement, I only had the Plasma Cutter on me at all times.  9 out of 10 ammo drops were Plasma Energy.  I had so much ammo that it filled about half of my inventory in a level 6 suit.

I tried the same theory with other guns, and it works as well.  Whatever you have equipped on your person, the drops will focus on that ammo to drop for you.  If you have two weapons, it starts getting a little fishy and will favor one over the other.  I think the priority order for it seems to be up directional, left directional, right directional, down directional.
    Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vlademir

I'm assuming it's pretty good against those spider things.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah it's great against the small enemies and that's it. And oh yeah, the flamethrower cant be fired in a vacuum.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By DrRandle

I think the Flame Thrower is best for the Brutes. I use a plasma to get them stunned, run up behind and just light 'em up. Takes them down real good. Probably smells terrible though.

Avatar image for dark_spartan796
    Dark_Spartan796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark_Spartan796

The Flamethrower is good for getting the 20 Gamerscore associated with it. That's about it. I haven't used it for anything else. I use either the Plasma Cutter or the Contact Beam to kill Brutes.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zitosilva

I used the flamethrower for crowd control mostly. If the enemies get too close the second attack type wroks fine for getting them away. The one weapon I only used for its cool factor, but could not make out how to be functional was the reaper. Seems like everything can go right through the blades.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sarnecki

I used the flame thrower whenever I was overwhelmed and I just wanted to burn the entire group.  It's very easy to get control of a group of enemies back when you're dousing them casually with your torch.  The preggers things I mostly used my Line Gun mines on when they gave birth to those mini bats, but it's useful there.  The ideal flamethrower use is against the tall lanky monsters that spew off the little facehugger/Thing tentacled critters.  Burn the mother down, and just keep the ball a rollin!

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Demilich

Line Gun mines take too long to detonate :(

And for the rolly spider things I use the Force Gun.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sarnecki

Force Gun?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

I quite like the Plasma Rifle but the Flamethrower is pretty useless. :(

Plasma Cutter and Line Gun are the best weapons in the game. A fully powered Line Gun is monsterous.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sarnecki

The Line Gin fully upgraded Damage will kill alot of things in one shot.  It's lovely.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Verdugo

Only used it for small annoying enemies.

Actually, after Chapter 6 or something, I stopped using it. Eventually sold it. Not very useful.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23  Edited By dsplayer1010

The flamethrower wasn't that great in Gears 2 either. The one in World at War and the Pyro's are the only effective flame throwers that I've seen recently.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "The flamethrower wasn't that great in Gears 2 either. The one in World at War and the Pyro's are the only effective flame throwers that I've seen recently."

Don't forget Halo's!
    Granted, it's a defensive one.  Still good though (i shot toast)

gears's one is absolutely awful.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#25  Edited By dsplayer1010

I didn't forget Halo's

Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Prime20

I only use it in combonation with the slo-mo.

It becomes very usefull when your up against the thing thats made up of dozen of little aliens. You know the tall lanky one that when you shoot it explodes into a bunch of writhing worm things.

Avatar image for 6zombiepenguins6
    6zombiepenguins6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 6zombiepenguins6

The flamethrower sucks

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.