Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Sort of a letdown in my opinion...

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I mean, the game was fun and all, but I'm so disappointed by the lack of horror. Sure, the game's jumpy, but with everybody saying that this was the scariest game they've ever played and all, I was disappointed. I was hoping for scares, you know, SCARES. This game is sure jumpy, but once I turn it off I don't have the "ZOMG I NEED TO TURN ON THE LIGHTS NOW!!!" feeling I would get from Silent Hill or other games. I don't know, is it just me? Sure, this is a great game, but it sure wasn't what I was expecting. I do like this game, I really, do, but I wanted a scary game and it didn't deliver. 5 star for sure though, as it did what Resi 5 did for me. It's a good action game, but dude...why are you guys so scared by this!?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Agree. I loved the game. But it relies on surprise tactics. I am yet to encounter a "Scary" game. 

I also did not buy it for scares. I love sci-fi space stuff. So this was a no brainier for me

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Canberra

Maybe space just doesn't do it for you? Different strokes for different folks. 
     I did enjoy it because it wasn't too scary, if it was i'd have never been able to finish it.    

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Gabriel

The game was all right, but Resident Evil 4 was better.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

What made this game great for me was the sound and atmosphere.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

I got it for 10 euro it was not that scary certain bits were but i mainly enjoy the space Sci-fi setting, great game overall apart from alot of back tracking.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz

I agree, I didn't find it scary at all. In fact, I can never play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time, because it becomes so monotonous in spots. I've yet to get very far into the game. 

I have to say, I'd recommend you try F.E.A.R 2 if you're looking for scares. So many people dismiss it as typical Japanese horror, but it had one of the most disquieting atmospheres in any game I've played, and it's that that made it frightening, not when Alma jumped at your screen. 

It's an odd choice, but that's the only game that has ever genuinely "scared" me, and as a result it's one of my favorite games of last year.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @jukezypoo said:
    " I agree, I didn't find it scary at all. In fact, I can never play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time, because it becomes so monotonous in spots. I've yet to get very far into the game.  I have to say, I'd recommend you try F.E.A.R 2 if you're looking for scares. So many people dismiss it as typical Japanese horror, but it had one of the most disquieting atmospheres in any game I've played, and it's that that made it frightening, not when Alma jumped at your screen.  It's an odd choice, but that's the only game that has ever genuinely "scared" me, and as a result it's one of my favorite games of last year. "
    Well, I played the demo 3 times until I could finally play it through...with a friend. Yeah, it seemed pretty scary. Do you know anything about Condemned? The first one is on the marketplace for $19.99, and I enjoyed the demo for the second one.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

This game was pretty freaky in some spots. The horror has jump scares sure, but it was more the atmosphere and weird creatures I found to be more frightening and fun. That game has a sense of atmosphere like nothing else in the genre to be certain. 

I hated Resi Evil 4, but this one did enough things right.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @XII_Sniper said:

" This game was pretty freaky in some spots. The horror has jump scares sure, but it was more the atmosphere and weird creatures I found to be more frightening and fun. That game has a sense of atmosphere like nothing else in the genre to be certain.  I hated Resi Evil 4, but this one did enough things right. "

I would beg to differ. When I played Silent Hill 2, it did something. It made me feel completely alone. Me, the town, and a fellow with geometry for a face. 

In Dead Space, I felt like any real atmospheric part of the game was just ruined by a random jump scare.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By sixghost

That's weird, I actually loved the game because of it's lack of jump scares. I thought the only 2 jump scares on the game were the two worms that popped out of the wall. The sound design alone was enough to freak me out for 90% of the game.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I feel the exact same way! I bought this game with anticipation of it being scary. Was i wrong though. Although the game-play is pretty fun.   

Resident Evil has not been scary since Resident Evil: Code Veronica in my opinion.

The only game that scared me was F.E.A.R. strangely enough.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jkz
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " I agree, I didn't find it scary at all. In fact, I can never play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time, because it becomes so monotonous in spots. I've yet to get very far into the game.  I have to say, I'd recommend you try F.E.A.R 2 if you're looking for scares. So many people dismiss it as typical Japanese horror, but it had one of the most disquieting atmospheres in any game I've played, and it's that that made it frightening, not when Alma jumped at your screen.  It's an odd choice, but that's the only game that has ever genuinely "scared" me, and as a result it's one of my favorite games of last year. "
    Well, I played the demo 3 times until I could finally play it through...with a friend. Yeah, it seemed pretty scary. Do you know anything about Condemned? The first one is on the marketplace for $19.99, and I enjoyed the demo for the second one. "
    I liked condemned, and it was the same type of "atmospheric" scary, but I never got that same sort of tension that I did with F.E.A.R. 

On a gameplay level, it holds up alright, but it's a little clunky all the same. That's a game I would suggest renting, but others I know have felt much differently (in that they thought it was outstanding), so your mileage may vary.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    Well, I played the demo 3 times until I could finally play it through...with a friend. Yeah, it seemed pretty scary. Do you know anything about Condemned? The first one is on the marketplace for $19.99, and I enjoyed the demo for the second one. "
    I liked condemned, and it was the same type of "atmospheric" scary, but I never got that same sort of tension that I did with F.E.A.R.  On a gameplay level, it holds up alright, but it's a little clunky all the same. That's a game I would suggest renting, but others I know have felt much differently (in that they thought it was outstanding), so your mileage may vary. "
    Hmmm...maybe I'll check it out. I can get whatever I want for free, you know.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By clubsandwich

I beg to differ.

Roflwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Roflwaffles

It's hard to be scared when you can just pull out your Plasma Cutter and cut the enemy to pieces.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Scary? Maybe not, but it's got a memorably creepy atmosphere at least.
    ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArcLyte

we're gonna have to agree to disagree.
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Roflwaffles said:
    " It's hard to be scared when you can just pull out your Plasma Cutter and cut the enemy to pieces. "
    RIGHT!
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ToxicAntidote

I think most people get more tolerant to horror and fear in general with age and also by playing/watching media with these themes. Dead Space is a great horror game,but because of my higher tolerance I didn't get scared that much. The only game I'm still getting scared of by playing is System Shock 2. I guess I've got some kind of mental trauma since I first played it though. But that game is sick as hell.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#21  Edited By Jazz

I thought it was awful. 
    After the awesome pre-release comic video the complete lack of narrative drive, the horrendously boring enemies and monotonous atmosphere got the better of me and i stopped on level 6. 
    I just didn't care any more. 
    That said, what they did with the inventory was very clever, and the beacon light thing was also very clever. 
    To be honest I loathe Visceral as game designers. Dante's Inferno is among the worst games i have ever played...and I've played Armoured Core 4. 

Its good that some people got some enjoyment out of it though

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MythDarK said:
    " I think most people get more tolerant to horror and fear in general with age and also by playing/watching media with these themes. Dead Space is a great horror game,but because of my higher tolerance I didn't get scared that much. The only game I'm still getting scared of by playing is System Shock 2. I guess I've got some kind of mental trauma since I first played it though. But that game is sick as hell. "
    Well, I recently got Silent Hill 2 and that's scaring me alot, so I don't think it has to do with tolerance too much.
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MythDarK said:
    " I think most people get more tolerant to horror and fear in general with age and also by playing/watching media with these themes. Dead Space is a great horror game,but because of my higher tolerance I didn't get scared that much. The only game I'm still getting scared of by playing is System Shock 2. I guess I've got some kind of mental trauma since I first played it though. But that game is sick as hell. "
    Well, I recently got Silent Hill 2 and that's scaring me alot, so I don't think it has to do with tolerance too much. "
    If Silent Hill 2 would have been the very first horror game you ever played, don't you think it could scare you even more?
    I think tolerance has a lot to do with it, but the amount of tolerance differs from person to person. 
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @MythDarK said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @MythDarK said:
    Well, I recently got Silent Hill 2 and that's scaring me alot, so I don't think it has to do with tolerance too much. "
    If Silent Hill 2 would have been the very first horror game you ever played, don't you think it could scare you even more? "
    ...It is.
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ToxicAntidote
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MythDarK said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @MythDarK said:

If Silent Hill 2 would have been the very first horror game you ever played, don't you think it could scare you even more? "
    ...It is. "
    Oh ok. What about other horror themed media? 
    Still, the tolerance can differ a lot depending who you ask. The fact that some people thinks that Dead Space is a scary game, or even the scariest game they played, shows that some are less tolerant. Some may get more tolerance than others by consuming more horror themed media, others get less or even non, no matter how much or often they do. This can also be developed through events in real life of course. 
    The tolerance isn't a value on a static line. It can also differ a lot depending on the different atmosphere. Horror that takes place in a medical environment can scare some people more than one that takes place in a abandoned house.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

If you want a game that will scare you from more than just jumps, play Silent Hill 2. It's actually depressing, yet so so awesome in its sadness. 

EDIT: Now that I see you're playing through it, good job. Amazing game, one of my favorites.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee
    @xyzygy said:
    "If you want a game that will scare you from more than just jumps, play Silent Hill 2. It's actually depressing, yet so so awesome in its sadness. "

With one of Silent Hill's best soundtracks too.
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andheez

I think how you play the game plays a large part.  Yes Dead Space is not a disturbing, I'm going to have nightmares and sleepless nights torturing this in my head kind of scary, but if you play alone, in the dark, with the sound blasting......it can get to you.   Then again if you play it in the middle of the day, with the sun shining surrounded by talking friends or family, its not going to carry as much weight.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By lead_farmer

I think Dead Space was good because I did feel like I was alone on that ship aside from all the xenomorphs.

Tornac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Tornac

I know what you mean. It makes you jumpy, because you don't know what to expect, but it never gets inside your head and really fucks with you like, say, Silent Hill 2 or Eternal Darkness. Anyway, I still love the game, and I definitely can't wait for the sequel.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By c1337us

I didnt find the game to be scary. But it was pretty intense and creepy as hell. The only game that has ever given me some genuine scare was Silent Hill 2.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PillClinton

Yeah, it wasn't as consistently scary as it could have been, but there were definitely moments where I was genuinely tense and just kind of stressed out from the impending doom around every corner.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RE_Player1

This game is near perfect for me. This is my first ever 100% game on the ps3:)

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunExplosions
    @AlwaysAngry: I agree man. I played the game probably 15 times through. I never jumped or got scared by anything. After I beat it, I started seeing posts about how scary it was and was baffled. Was I supposed to be scared by this game? I had no idea. I even played it in the dark (I play most games in the dark anyway). However, I loved the game. I liked the story, the atmosphere, and the action. The anti-gravity gimmick had absolutely no affect on me, either.

Edit: Oh yeah. I saw some kid saying the ambient vent noises were scary. For me, as soon as some background noise was triggered, my gamer brain instantly told me that it was just ambient noise. If anything, the vent noises irritated me, because of their repetitiveness or obviousness.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, I too thought Dead Space was a waste of time. After the end of chapter one when you realise the gimmicks, it becomes a full on grind.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hourai

Dead Space is sort of like Resident Evil 4. It's not really scary, but there's a lot of "oh shit!" moments and the atmosphere is grim and even a little macabre at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.