A multiplayer twin-stick shooter from Armature Studio

This seems great

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, Dead Star is out on ps plus. I downloaded it and played for about 3/4 of an hour. It seems really cool. All a little overwhelming to begin with but I was just about getting the hang of how the game is menant to be played. I was surprised how much fun I was having. The visuals are just splendid to look at, especially when you get involved in some of the larger ship battles, with maybe 15 ship flying around, lasers and beams and rockets going all over the place. What really surprised me the most, though, was how much depth there seems to be to the actual gameplay.

What do you all think?

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks neat. It’s on Steam too.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This game's alright. It doesn't really have the strictly balanced MOBA feel to it and I think team play is overly encouraged. The fast ships die in one hit from most things and every other ship is too slow to escape more than one enemy, so if you want to play capital ships you have to find other capital ships to hang out with and so forth. Took a few hours but I eventually got into a groove and started going ~15-2 every match with one of the super soft craft so presumably the game is skill based to some extent.

Biggest issue the game has other than the harsh learning curve for anyone that wants to play a quick ship is the chance of a comeback happening in a public match is really miniscule; whoever gets the middle node(s) on the map wins almost by default. Of course not every map has a middle node so it's not always an issue.

Really love the random alterations to the map you get each time you start a new match, makes it feel super dynamic. Augments are ridiculously overpowered, like having a 10-25% boost to every ability at max level or something akin to that, so I imagine over time this is going to be even more of a bitch for new players as you'll run into unbeatable premades that have better ships than you and also know the game better just due to experience. The free form upgrade tree is really good, though the lack of ultimates seems like kind of an issue; also split ability paths (what the game recommends for you) are probably not very good in general, just upgrade your overpowered shit/core and that's that.

I already have this trophy, curious how many people beat me to it.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ericjasonwade

Oh so it's a MOBA? I downloaded it but haven't played it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ericjasonwade: It's (usually) 10 v 10 and there are no lanes or creeps (there are AI controlled enemies but they either patrol bases or wander aimlessly in the home sector) or anything, its more of a tug of war space battle than a MOBA.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Okay seems cool. I'm not really into MOBA's because of all of the stat building so this just being shooting dudes in spaceships is refreshing.

KSCK26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually bang my head against MOBAs, especially because of the characters and my inability to practice any one of them consistently. That said, I like the limited ship selection and doversity. They all seem to play a very specific role and compliment each other well. I have yet to play with a friend and really coordinate, but I think this will scratch my itch for a MOBA without being too much of an investment on time.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm eager to get home from work and have another blast at this. Think I'll try some of the other ships out. I definitely lean towards the smaller, faster ships. But what I like about this is it seems you need a combination of ship classes on your team to do well, and know when the right moments are to swap ships.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Like with all the other MOBA games, it's exhilarating to play when you're winning but frustrating and dull when you're losing. I really like the different ship abilities but I wonder how many of them are really useful. Usually I just pick the same 2 abilities and level them up all the way which by that time the match is usually over. The alien frigate class is super fun though, and the Bulldog is fun for playing against new players who don't understand how the suppression field works.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't been able to get into a single working game.

Most times I join a lobby but nothing shows up, no other players. The one time I joined a populated lobby was after I enabled all regions, then I got as far as getting into the match starting. The next part was kind of funny when the announcer said "Remain calm" a moment before it booted me from the game.

The tutorial makes me think it could be good though. Hopefully I can get into a game soon.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's some high level play if you guys are curious what that looks like:

Loading Video...

KyleBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the Justicar!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.