Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead State

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 04, 2014

An open world zombie survival RPG. It promises to focus on the survivor mentality and social interactions that arise from such a disaster scenario.

Dead State - The Real Zombie Outbreak Simulator

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ectoplasma

I discovered this game yesterday and just wanted to make a little advertisement for them. Dead State will be a tactical RPG that tries to portay a 'realistic' version of a zombie outbreak. What completely won me over, was a design update by one of the developers. It reads:

"  With all the debate about gun stats and what kills zombies the best lately, I thought it was time to bring the discussion back to why we’re making this game. In the last decade, the zombie genre has morphed  from a horror genre into a gunchuks and teenage revenge fantasy fulfillment vehicle. The zombies are no longer scary, but moving targets for whatever badass weaponry people hope to get some use out of after gun show buyer’s remorse. There’s this pervasive personal delusion that a crisis situation is going to unleash someone’s inner hero and they’re going to run around the ruins of modern civilization dual-wielding shotguns and yelling “come get some” like it’s an endless game of drunken paintball. The everybody’s stupid/unprepared/panicked/sheeple but me mentality is in full-effect in the modern zombie fan scenario.  

Here’s what it would actually be like (and what we’re aiming for in our presentation). Imagine yourself outside your usual supermarket. It’s the middle of a sunny day. There are only a few cars in the parking lot. You hear a lot of birds, but no automobiles, no people talking, no music – none of the white noise that makes up the average human soundscape. It’s quiet in a way that modern man cannot fathom, stripped completely of the drone of civilization. 

The doors to the supermarket are open, but it’s pitch black inside. You haven’t eaten in over a day and you’re pretty hungry, but there’s something about the store that makes your heart sink into your gurgling stomach. There are other buildings, apartments in the area, but nobody around. It’s been two weeks since you’ve seen a human being. You had a gun, but it’s locked in your gun safe over sixty miles away, because you had to abandon your car when the traffic never cleared. All you have on you is the shirt on your back, a backpack containing nothing but an empty water bottle, and a wooden pole that formerly had a rake attached. 

All of the sudden you see a faint shape at the entrance of the supermarket, just hanging out there. You can’t tell if it’s an actual human. The last actual human you saw took a shot at you, so you don’t want to draw attention to yourself immediately. You’ve learned that it’s better in general to stay quiet as a rule. That last gunshot you heard from the last actual human you saw brought out dozens of the dead from within those darkened storefronts and apartment buildings.  Just the sight of them, the way their sun-ripened heads turn at you on their flimsy necks like you’ve hooked them with a fishing line, makes you want to instinctively run until you reach safety. But there is no safety – no police stations, no military patrols, no house with loved ones to comfort you. You don’t even know if your loved ones are safe. Sometimes you pull out your cellphone like a rabbit’s foot, just to hold it and hope that someone calls you – anyone – just to hear a voice. But it doesn’t even have any juice left – it’s a fetish now, nothing else.

The figure is still standing there, just out of the light a few feet inside the supermarket. Human or not, your stomach rumbles, and you realize that you need to get in there and eat something or you won’t be able to keep moving. You start walking toward it, hand firmly grasping your stick, driven more by the instinctive need to feed than courage. As you close the distance, it hits you as a spring breeze wafts in your direction – the cloud of rot overtaking your nose and making you gag. The shape moves forward and you can see its feet – burs stuck to its pants and a nail sticking right up through the unlaced sneaker. It makes a loud, painful moan like someone choking on tacks and you freeze right in place. Then you hear more noise, behind the shape, weight being dragged on linoleum, metal being knocked onto the floor. Your eyes adjust as a cloud blocks out the sun for a second. There are a dozen bodies in there wobbling in the darkness - they are all moving toward you.

--

And that's kind of what Dead State's about."

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

So...is it an MMORPG or...I'm too lazy to read all of that.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ectoplasma

LOL! So much text ;). No its a tactical rpg. I also wrote it in the first line. It's like, Fallout 1 or 2 from what I gather. But surely the gameplay will not only be that. You gather survivors, need to find food, shelter etc.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Hard to tell what the gameplay will be like from the screenshots/renders. My guess is something like X-Com?

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By endaround

More like the original Fallout

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ectoplasma

I see most people have difficulty reading.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Cincaid

Wow, colour me excited.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By commandercup

I saw a preview of this on PC Gamer, and it is a zombie game that focuses not on killing hordes of zombies and surviving through the usage of gunpower, but instead the moments in between battles. It's almost like a simulation of a zombie outbreak instead of a FPS with a skin. It acknowledges that most people have no real experience with firearms etc.

Looks pretty unique and I'll definitely check up on this when it nears release.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Pie

Damn awesome sounding PC games...

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Dedodido

That description looks very interesting, it's the kind of zombie game I'm looking for (and I'm yet to play one that really is about survival). Hope it comes out soon, in time with the end of my exams would be fantastic.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By FLStyle

Sounds interesting, I especially like the part about being no-where near home because of the traffic not clearing. It's the one scenario no-one thinks of when thinking about an outbreak, but it's the most likely.

I'll pick this up when it's out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.