Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadlight

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 01, 2012

A zombie plague has ravaged the Pacific Northwest. There is no chance of fighting off the horde. The only choice is to run.

Anyone bought Deadlight? Impressions so far...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

If you bought the game, what are your impressions?

I'm thinking about buying.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dystonym

It's thoroughly ok. The storytelling is poor, the writing is bad and the voice acting isn't very good at all, but the core gameplay of Prince of Persia style platforming is well executed and feels really nice when you pull it off. People have been saying that it is short, and while it is true that the actual game is maybe only 2-3 hours long, that doesn't include deaths or anything and I personally have died absolutely loads of times. I've spent 2 hours in it according to the counter but I know for a fact that I've spent nearer to 4.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rafaelfc

I'll second Brad's opinion. this game is alright up to a point, there are many moments where the game controls are not up to the task they ask of you... and it takes a LOT of trial and error to get through.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust

@Rafaelfc said:

I'll second Brad's opinion. this game is alright up to a point, there are many moments where the game controls are not up to the task they ask of you... and it takes a LOT of trial and error to get through.

I noticed. I'm in the beginning trying to jump into a ladder, and for the life of me I can't. I always end up short of the ladder. It is frustrating.

update: I missed the sprint information.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

All of this "Its alright" talk really bums me out. I was really looking forward to this. Well, looks like I won't be buying any of the SOA games this year. Easily the worst year out of the 5 SOA's.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust

I like the game. I've played one hour and a half, and I'm liking it. The controls seem sometimes a little finicky, but till now they get the job done. The story is barebones, but it is presented in cool ways.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By maskedarcstrike

I bought it today and I've already beaten. At times it had moments where it really visually impressed me, for instance when your running through houses in the suburbs of seattle. At other times it's just man.... It has some of the most awkward and at times inappropriately funny cutscenes that I've seen in a while. There's one graphic novel cutscene in the latter half of the game that is just so god awful awkward with the voice acting.

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TOA_Doom

It's great at the start, then good, then kind of ok...it's just generally downhill after the first hour or so, and the ending is really terrible.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cincaid

@Redbullet685 said:

All of this "Its alright" talk really bums me out. I was really looking forward to this. Well, looks like I won't be buying any of the SOA games this year. Easily the worst year out of the 5 SOA's.

Could not agree more (though I did bite the bullet on Tony Hawk and bought that). But hey, Dust: An Elysian Tail might still take us by surprise...it better, damnit.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Sooperspy

Seems like PSN's PLAY 2012 is better than SOA this year. I'm definitely going to get Sound Shapes, and CS:GO probably since that seems good. Oh, and I'm not sure what Papo & Yo is, but it has a cool look to it and I've heard good things. Aaaaaand, lets just forget about that The Expendables 2 Videogame.

Usually XBLA has a better lineup than PSN, but doesn't seem like it this year.@Cincaid said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Could not agree more (though I did bite the bullet on Tony Hawk and bought that). But hey, Dust: An Elysian Tail might still take us by surprise...it better, damnit.

And maybe Dust will be cool, I just haven't seen anything on it other than some screens. And I will say that Hybrid was cool, which I can say from playing the beta. I just don't think I want to buy it at $15. Still, seems like the best SOA game.

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dystonym

@Redbullet685: Dust looks interesting. Screenshots don't do it justice, you really need to see it in motion. The animation in that game is absolutely absurd.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rafaelfc

@Jeust said:

I like the game. I've played one hour and a half, and I'm liking it. The controls seem sometimes a little finicky, but till now they get the job done. The story is barebones, but it is presented in cool ways.

Let me know how you feel about the game after going through the third act. I think the game isn't terrible or bad I quite like it overall, but it's overly frustrating in spots. Or maybe I just had different expectations based on the names I heard thrown to associate with this game (out of this world, flashback)

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PillClinton

Seems like a game I wanna wait on a discount for, or wait till it gets to Steam and then goes on sale eventually, but I'm intrigued. Anybody know if there are any plans for an eventual Steam release? I know it's a Summer of Arcade title, but a lot of that stuff's gone to Steam.

superbobafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By superbobafett

As mentioned above, there are a lot of scenarios in which the controls simply get in your way. The game is mildly entertaining, the story is laughable - seriously, there is some near (original) Resident Evil quality voice acting/writing in this game.

...I picked up Expendables 2 at the same time, and as janky as that game is - I've had more fun running around as Sly Stallone than I have with Deadlight.

Deadlight is a solid 6, I'd recommend you spend your $ elsewhere.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Twisted_Scot

If you like the Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback etc and/or Zombie you cant go wrong. Having fun with it although as everyone mentions the controls could be better and sometimes its a little hard to see something that will kill you because of the art style but just respawn and try again with no lasting issues. Looks great, plays OK, just ignore the story/writing and your good.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust

@Rafaelfc said:

@Jeust said:

Let me know how you feel about the game after going through the third act. I think the game isn't terrible or bad I quite like it overall, but it's overly frustrating in spots. Or maybe I just had different expectations based on the names I heard thrown to associate with this game (out of this world, flashback)

I agree with you. I liked the game a lot too, but the ending part was just punishing and frustrating. I had to ace each of the hazzards laid and be quick about it. I've seen more insane last levels, but I didn't appreciate the difficulty to them.

I actually liked the ending twist, although it was a little confusing, as

Randall Wayne called the girl at the end his daughter name, what made me confused about wether she was really his daughter or not.
    Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alkaiser

I think my favorite thing about this game is how Seattle doesn't actually have a subway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.