Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Creatures

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 09, 2009

Deadly Creatures is a Nintendo Wii-exclusive game. The player takes control of either a tarantula or scorpion depending on the level.

Deadly Creatures: Arachnid Survival, with a pinch of SOTC?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

Well, January sure was a slow start on the Wii. Only a couple days ago in Feb did it finally kick in with Tenchu Shadow Assassins, but that's not the main subject. Since that game is out, and has so far received positive feedback, next game to come is an entirely new, and ultimately interesting, IP. Deadly Creatures.

The game, developed by Rainbow Studios and published by THQ, has one of the most awesome concepts I've heard in a while. Playing as two creatures that, normally no one would want to be around (like me), let you see the world and a sinister plot through their eyes. So far, impressions on multiple outlets have been fond of the game, and especially after watching this latest IGN vid, I'm 100% SOLD on this one.

There is one thing that I'm constantly thinking about though, and that is Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thorton's characters, Struggs and Wade. These two antagonists are out searching for buried Civil War treasure in the Arizona desert, and they aren't the kindest of folks, plus you'll be coming across them several times throughout.

No Caption Provided
    What is it about these two characters that have me pondering? It's that I'm feeling a small vibe of Shadow of the Colossus (or SOTC, as I abbrievieted in the title).

Normally, from man's eyes, we see all the arachnids, insects, and other kinds of creatures as small compared to us, yet we fear them. But switch the perspective to a spider's or scorpion's, you'd be scared as well.

And why wouldn't you? They're huge, and to these crawlers, they feel the earth move and shake as these men pass buy. There's always trouble when they're around and you need to keep yourself out their way.

While you don't have to kill sixteen humans inorder to beat the game, I keep seeing just how large the scale of the world within the game is, and seeing how large and colossal these figures are, you realize you can't go up to them and beat them dead. You have to avoid and get around them without getting squashed or killed yourself.

The colossi in SOTC were memorable, because of the sheer size of those behomoths. With Deadly Creatures coming out next week, I think Struggs and Wade give that sort of feeling to the game.

Everything else with the concept, and from what has been described about the gameplay, is amazing. Great dedication and work has been put into this game, and I can't wait to play this game. Please let it be Monday already.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Well, January sure was a slow start on the Wii. Only a couple days ago in Feb did it finally kick in with Tenchu Shadow Assassins, but that's not the main subject. Since that game is out, and has so far received positive feedback, next game to come is an entirely new, and ultimately interesting, IP. Deadly Creatures.

The game, developed by Rainbow Studios and published by THQ, has one of the most awesome concepts I've heard in a while. Playing as two creatures that, normally no one would want to be around (like me), let you see the world and a sinister plot through their eyes. So far, impressions on multiple outlets have been fond of the game, and especially after watching this latest IGN vid, I'm 100% SOLD on this one.

There is one thing that I'm constantly thinking about though, and that is Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thorton's characters, Struggs and Wade. These two antagonists are out searching for buried Civil War treasure in the Arizona desert, and they aren't the kindest of folks, plus you'll be coming across them several times throughout.

No Caption Provided
    What is it about these two characters that have me pondering? It's that I'm feeling a small vibe of Shadow of the Colossus (or SOTC, as I abbrievieted in the title).

Normally, from man's eyes, we see all the arachnids, insects, and other kinds of creatures as small compared to us, yet we fear them. But switch the perspective to a spider's or scorpion's, you'd be scared as well.

And why wouldn't you? They're huge, and to these crawlers, they feel the earth move and shake as these men pass buy. There's always trouble when they're around and you need to keep yourself out their way.

While you don't have to kill sixteen humans inorder to beat the game, I keep seeing just how large the scale of the world within the game is, and seeing how large and colossal these figures are, you realize you can't go up to them and beat them dead. You have to avoid and get around them without getting squashed or killed yourself.

The colossi in SOTC were memorable, because of the sheer size of those behomoths. With Deadly Creatures coming out next week, I think Struggs and Wade give that sort of feeling to the game.

Everything else with the concept, and from what has been described about the gameplay, is amazing. Great dedication and work has been put into this game, and I can't wait to play this game. Please let it be Monday already.
    Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Blind_Evil

Yeah, I decided I'm buying this just because it's kind of bat-shit insane.  Like, really, try this.  Go up to a friend, tell them "Hey, there's a video game about a spider and a scorpion starring Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper.  For the Wii.  Yeah."   See what they say.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but this seems as insane as some EVE online stories.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

Haha, I see what you mean. They have so gone for that look there intentionally on the evidence of the hue they use.

I'm really looking forward to this game, it seems like nothing I have ever played before.

A amusing little vid the motion capture team made.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I like the concept, but this was my lesser February release. I was looking forward to Tenchu more than this, and I'm looking forward to House of the Dead much more than this. It still looks really cool, though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Deadly Creatures will be released this February? Huh. I thought it was further away.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

If I had a Wii, I would definitely buy this game, although, I wouldn't really compare it to SoTC. The fact that any game says that it will be like Shadow of the Colossus automatically means it won't be like Shadow of the Colossus at all.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Red said:
    "If I had a Wii, I would definitely buy this game, although, I wouldn't really compare it to SoTC. The fact that any game says that it will be like Shadow of the Colossus automatically means it won't be like Shadow of the Colossus at all."

He's not saying that, nor is anyone else, he just remarked that pic has that vibe, which it clearly does..

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Watch your final boss battle is gonna be with Billy Bob's boot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.