Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

A record of what the Director's Cut has changed

• 118 results
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Bocam

I got the game early and have been wanting to re-watch the dual ERs so I thought I'd just make some notes about what was changed and what has been added. I'm going to do this on an episode basis.

General Observations

• The install process is really weird.
    • There's always a weird hitch when saving. The progress bar stops at 50%, waits a few seconds, and finishes.
    • THE FRAME RATE IS SHIT
    • The lip syncing seems much worse
    • The game seems to hiccup when going into new areas
    • The enemies seem weaker and the aiming is better.
    • The main menu music sounds terrible

Pre Title Movie

• The twins voice actor seems different
    • The song has been rerecorded and is of a higher quality
    • Laura's wound looks more like a giant vagina then an actual cut
    • The trees still look like shit

Prologue

• Added a conversation between an old man (It's York) and his granddaughter. The granddaughter wants to be told another story about the FBI.
    • You can now hear another person on the phone when York's telling his Tom & Jerry story
    • The "High Definition Graphics" seem to be referring to the items.

Episode 1 Chapter 1 - 3

• There a scene with the old man and the girl where his favorite TV breaks.
    • There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms
    • Thomas's voice sounds different.
    • The audio levels are fixed in the scene with Polly
    • Driving still sucks and makes the frame rate worse. The stuttering is getting worse
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By shivermetimbers

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable.

The framerate could definitely chug during the driving sequences on the 360, apart from that though, it was /mostly/ manageable.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4 jeanluc  Staff

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

Call me a weirdo, but the idea of this version being somehow worse sounds almost better in a weird way.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How is the install process weird?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bocam

@yummylee: @shivermetimbers: I should clarify what I mean. While the frame rate is worse, what makes it unbearably tedious to play is how the game seems to stutter randomly. But hey, at least it has a better map. I'm amazed it's not coming out at $20.

@metalgearsunny: It has two install progress bars.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Call me a weirdo, but the idea of this version being somehow worse sounds almost better in a weird way.

Gonna hafta explain that one to me... weirdo. ^__________________________________________________________________________________________________________^

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@yummylee: @shivermetimbers: I should clarify what I mean. While the frame rate is worse, what makes it unbearably tedious to play is how the game seems to stutter randomly. But hey, at least it has a better map. I'm amazed it's not coming out at $20.

Maaaan, this fucking sucks to hear right now. I bought this for like £25, which is ridiculously overpriced for a 3 year old rerelease, but... I had hope that this would be the ultimate version -- naturally still the same Deadly Premonition we all know and love/hate, but a little less rough around the edges. Some smoothed out technicalities with some additional content to boot ect. sounded fine by me, and I'm such a fan of the original anyway that I was happy to support anything to do with this game.

Bugger.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By shivermetimbers

@yummylee said:
    @jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Gonna hafta explain that one to me... weirdo. ^__________________________________________________________________________________________________________^

Considering that the game's charm was due to the fact that it was awful and outdated, and had fun with itself regardless, I could see his point. However, the main game was serviceable in it's awfulness, not frustrating....

@bocam said:

Yeah, it's a shame. I'm going to have to rebuy the 360 version.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jeanluc  Staff

@yummylee: I don't know, it just seems... fitting, that a game as weird and busted as Deadly Premonition would get a special edition with new content, only to have it be worse in someways.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@shivermetimbers said:

@yummylee said:
    @jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Considering that the game's charm was due to the fact that it was awful and outdated, and had fun with itself regardless, I could see his point. However, the main gave was serviceable in it's awfulness, not frustrating....

Yeah, Deadly Premonition is a bit of a wreck, but as soon as you got that infinite ammo submachine gun, it was... playable. The gameplay was easy to put up with, for me at least, to savour all of the quirky nonsense surrounding it. Plus, this is 3 years on from the original. This should be the original but better in just about every conceivable way! That it's potentially even worse is heartbreaking.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bocam said:

Pre Title Movie

BECAUSE IT IS A VAGINA!

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

aw crap oh well

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's nice to see the lengths people will go to in order to celebrate a bad game for it's quirkiness.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Winternet

@bocam said:

Prologue

• Added a conversation between an old man (It's York) and his granddaughter. The granddaughter wants to be told another story about the FBI.

What?! They made a "Tell me another story about the Sheppard" thingy? Oh that's so bad.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These things are making me sad.

And they're making wish they weren't charging $40 for this (at least that's what I saw on Amazon), which is twice as much as the original cost.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I've wanted to play DP ever since watching the ERs, but I wanted to wait for this version. Honestly, I'd be willing to sit through some rougher technical issues if it has the definitive story content.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

These things are making me sad.

And they're making wish they weren't charging $40 for this (at least that's what I saw on Amazon), which is twice as much as the original cost.

Which is still only half of what it cost in Japan originally.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @humanity said:

It's nice to see the lengths people will go to in order to celebrate such a wonderfully unique and bizarrely engaging experience like Deadly Premonition.

I agree, Deadly Premonition has quite the devoted fanbase!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#21  Edited By Humanity
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Episode 1 Chapter 1 - 3

• There a scene with the old man and the girl where his favorite TV breaks.
    • There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms
    • Thomas's voice sounds different.
    • Driving still sucks and makes the frame rate worse. The stuttering is getting worse
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

@bocam said:

If that is the scene that I'm thinking of that was my favourite part of this game!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

=/

Loading Video...

My copy's actually arrived today as well.. Though I'm not so eager to jump in as I was just a couple of days ago. Plus I've got Dark Arisen here too, so there's that.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@soap said:

@bocam said:

If that is the scene that I'm thinking of that was my favourite part of this game!

The more I read stuff like this the more I feel like I don't want to play this because they're changing things I loved.

And also the frame rate stuff.

@bocam You should update the main post, rather than just posting updates in the comments. Makes it easier to get it all at once. Just a suggestion!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man, hearing about the framerate issues bums me out.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bocam

@bocam You should update the main post, rather than just posting updates in the comments. Makes it easier to get it all at once. Just a suggestion!

A good suggestion.

I got killed by that white void three times and it's really sapping my motivation for playing it.

rihanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may be wrong, but the leaderboards have also been removed.

Cutting them does not make the game better.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the white void? Is the area not loading or is it something intentional?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Awww, booo. Maybe I'll just import Red Seed Whatever instead. Or maybe I just won't.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Live2bRighteous

Damn... this "directors cut" version is the only version I can get, seeing I no longer own an Xbox 360. I've always wanted to get into this game, so I thought waiting for the directors cut would be worth it.

Either way though, I think I'll be picking it up... I've been missing out on this for waaaaay to long.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

But but but, it's a bad game at the first place. The good part is the quirky weird writing, story, atmosphere, and characters.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's now a white void that kills you if you run too fast between rooms

What do you mean by this?

@sub_o said:

But but but, it's a bad game at the first place. The good part is the quirky weird writing, story, atmosphere, and characters.

I think most people were hoping that the game's biggest problems would be addressed in this version. Seems like it isn't...

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So could i still pick up the original version and be fine?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superwristbands: @metalgearsunny: The game doesn't load the full level and you fall into a white void that kills you

Here's the save hitch I was talking about. This happens every time.

Loading Video...

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Basm321

The messed up audio levels when talking to Polly was one of the BEST parts. WHY WOULD THEY "FIX" THAT!!!!!!!!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc: Damn right!

Amusing that people are complaining about graphical issues in a supremely ugly game as though that were somehow the appeal.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearing all this is extremely disappointing. On the other hand, those extra suits York was wearing in the trailer were all fly as hell.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

Hearing all this is extremely disappointing. On the other hand, those extra suits York was wearing in the trailer were all fly as hell.

All DLC

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@bocam: I've seen similar in other games. It's nothing I'd say is really a problem. It just takes a little longer for the save process to complete. I've also seen at least one other PS3 game (can't remember which it was) that had the dual progress bars.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: I've seen that save thing in PS3 games before. It's just how it saves. Nothing to worry about.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@bocam said:

I am writing college essay about video games, it would really help if you would upload a high resolution image of this.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bocam
    cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By cloudymusic

Wow, you weren't kidding about that framerate. I'm getting a headache just watching it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Yummylee

Yup, the framerate is just as bad as Bocam said it'd be. Totally just pulling a number outta my ass, but I'd guess it's running at like 20fps at best from what I've played thus far... For as hilariously antiquated and cheap the original Deadly Premonition was, a bad or otherwise inconsistent framerate never struck me as a problem. This on the other hand is bordering on unbearable. And it's not like the game looks all that much better either, so it's baffling as to how a game that looks like this, three years on from its original release, can't at least keep a steady 30fps.

The tank controls are gone in favour of something a little more modern, though, so I'm sure that's a plus for a lot of people at least.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh maaaan, what the fuck?! You weren't kidding about the driving, it actually makes the framerate even worse and the game keeps hitching a bit here and there. Plus the engine is so fucking loud! I can't even hear the cool driving theme anymore, and I've also noticed a lot of the dialogue sounds very echo-y.This is so bloody depressing right now. I genuinely enjoyed the original DP and wasn't fazed too much by the admittedly stale gameplay, so you know this port's a fucking messwhen even I'm having trouble with it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Milkman

The fact that this version is actually worse than the original just seems like the best way this could have possibly gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should release it on the PC, then you'd get all the FPS.

All of it.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JohnDudebro

I started rewatching the Endurance Run a while back, then stopped a few episodes in when I decided I would wait to play the Director's Cut.

Now, I guess I'll just go back to the ER. This doesn't sound like a worthwhile upgrade.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WalkerD

@johndudebro: You can always play the original version of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.