Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Destructoid Review

• 78 results
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By stephengotlost

It's great when they release reviews like this and give other games scores that drop the average score and cuts the developers out of a bonus.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Cirdain
    @larryrules138:@Zenaxzd: yes and also he said the game is so bad it's good in every way, but the combat and mechanics are genuinelygood which is why the game works so well.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By gike987

Looks like Metacritic removed his review.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#54  Edited By Hailinel
    @Cirdain said:
    " @larryrules138:@Zenaxzd: yes and also he said the game is so bad it's good in every way, but the combat and mechanics are genuinelygood which is why the game works so well. "
    It wasn't so much that he found them genuinely good, but serviceable enough that they weren't a hindrance.
    thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By thwak
    @hinderk said:
    " I bet that 90% of the people that are trashing him and his review haven't even played the game. 50% of you probably didn't even read the review. "
    I also bet that the people saying that Jim Sterling is an attention whore probably didn't read his "Assassins Creed 2" review or his "Heavy Rain" review either. Funny then that they feel the need to use those two reviews in their argument even though they have no idea what they're talking about.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By brukaoru

Totally getting this game sometime just for laughs.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#57  Edited By MildMolasses

I don't know why people think the review is sarcastic. He very clearly mentions the flaws of the game. It's not like he's endlessly praising it for it's high production or anything.  

I think this review is a perfect example of why scores should not be in reviews. His thoughts on the game are explained to the reader quite clearly. If someone were to just see the score and then play the game, they would be really confused. This is why people need to read a review all the way through and not just look at a number posted with it
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I used to really like Destructoid, seriously. It turned my eyes to some games I would not have seen before.

But...it just kept getting more and more pretentious and "IN YOUR FACE" that I just couldn't take it anymore. How many articles are written, on the front page no less, saying "You are an idiot if you think __?" Too many. 

I just don't care what Jim does in his reviews and I hate that he gathers so much attention. It's hard NOT to call him an attention whore at this point. To be fair, I clicked on this review and read it. He justifies it just fine. Then, after reading the thread some more, dug up some other reviews. Looks like he goes out of his way to point out little flaws in big-budget titles for the hell of it, then give it a low score to see some shitstorm hit the site. 

Also, don't forget that his site will now be at the top of Metacritic, getting, again, attention. If it gets pulled from Metacritic, I'll eat a dick* if he doesn't try to pull some stunt with it.

*Dick may or may not be a candy bar.

jerrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By jerrek

This review plus the $10 Gamestop credit I received for buying Darksiders on the cheap = $14 Deadly Premonition on the way to my door.

I'll let you know how terribly brilliant it is once it arrives. :P

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By allprox

I dissaprove of people's hatred for Jim Sterling.  He is the perfect lifeform.

Just so you know I'm not Jim Sterling.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By ieatlions
    @Rmack: its just a video game .
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By cap123

sorry but that cutscene looked brilliant. it almost looked purposefully bad in an ironic way. i actually want to play it hah

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By jakob187

On one hand, I know that the review is absolutely honest and truthful in the best ways possible:  he flat-out says it's a shitty game, but that it's amazing at being shitty.  On the other hand, it's fucking brilliant that he gave it a 10 to throw that stupid fucking Metacritic shit out of whack! 

When it comes down to it, folks...Jim Sterling just did the most brilliant and necessary thing in his life.  I'm pretty sure he just fulfilled his purpose in life.  Now he can go DIAF...and give me his Chaoseater in the process. 

Nonetheless, I'm going to end up playing the game...solely because it's so fucking cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff1240337f3e
    deactivated-5ff1240337f3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does everyone either hate him and call him a stupid attention whore, or love him?
    I played the game for around 3 hours this weekend with my friends. Never before has a game made me want to shit my pants in excitement and fear one moment, then the next moment have me pissing my pants in sheer laughter and joy on how corny and awesome everything is.

this is a buy even if it was 60 dollars.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By sixghost
    @Rmack said:
    " I used to really like Destructoid, seriously. It turned my eyes to some games I would not have seen before.  But...it just kept getting more and more pretentious and "IN YOUR FACE" that I just couldn't take it anymore. How many articles are written, on the front page no less, saying "You are an idiot if you think __?" Too many.   I just don't care what Jim does in his reviews and I hate that he gathers so much attention. It's hard NOT to call him an attention whore at this point. To be fair, I clicked on this review and read it. He justifies it just fine. Then, after reading the thread some more, dug up some other reviews. Looks like he goes out of his way to point out little flaws in big-budget titles for the hell of it, then give it a low score to see some shitstorm hit the site.   Also, don't forget that his site will now be at the top of Metacritic, getting, again, attention. If it gets pulled from Metacritic, I'll eat a dick* if he doesn't try to pull some stunt with it.  *Dick may or may not be a candy bar. "

Yeah, all that fucking attention that comes with being at the top of the Deadly Premonition review page. Pretty soon Destructoid is going to have to buy private jets just to store all the money that will be flowing in following this.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I thought that review was spot on,  I've have not read a lot of his stuff though before but I'll probably look at it from time to time now.

gamer4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#67  Edited By gamer4life
    @larryrules138: 
    @Zenaxzd:

first, i did read the whole review.  i wouldnt comment on this if i didnt, thats just dumb.  the whole "its so bad that it makes him happy" thing is just bs.  a game with that bad of controls wouldnt make anyone happy.  yes im sure there are parts that the game breaks or glitches that are pretty funny (see the quick look of darkest days) but as for the overall experience? hell no.  i dont care what he says, after a while it just gets frustrating to play any game if the controls are broken.  no one is happy to play a game with broken controls, unless of course ure jim sterling looking for more attention.  and guess what?  its working cause here we are talking about how much of an idiot he is.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By hinderk
    @gamer4life: Obviously you didn't read the review. Here's what Jim had to say about the controls.

As far as the gameplay itself goes, Deadly Premonition won't be beating any of your AAA games on the market. However, for a budget title, everything is surprisingly competent and tight. The controls are decent enough, the combat is relatively balanced, and the action can scare when it needs to. Compared to your average budget game, Deadly Premonition is a new gold standard. The worst that can be said of it is that it is outdated. It's very clear this game was designed with the PlayStation 2 in mind, but if you have a love for old school survival horror, there is absolutely no reason why you should let age get in the way of something that would have been an utter classic several years ago.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Quacktastic

Haven't played this game or anything but, his brand of humor grates and the comment sections of his articles are full of people tripping over themselves to be the first to "Get it."

gamer4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By gamer4life
    @hinderk:  OBV you didnt read my post.  ill say it again, of course i read the review. i wouldnt comment on something that i had no idea about.  i dont know how u consider "decent enough"  good, but to me that sounds like they are barely passable.  esp if you read other reviews on the game which all mention how terrible the controls are...
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By xyzygy
    I am actually sold on this game. It's because of the weirdness and oddness that I want to play it. Man! 

@jakob187: Does he have a replica of the Chaos Eater?
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By hinderk
    @gamer4life: Sorry if I misread your post. I thought you were implying that he said the controls were bad in his review.

Now about the controls. In his review he states that most games with that  " so bad it's good" feeling are hampered down by their awful controls. Since the the controls in this game are passable, you can enjoy the craziness of the games story and presentation.

From his review

Yet, Deadly Premonition is the very first game I've seen that has been able to pull off that unique "so bad it's good" flavor. The fact that this game is so below standards actually works superbly. Usually a bad game struggles to maintain this ideal thanks to frustratingly awful gameplay, but since the combat is actually serviceable, this particular title can get away with being absolutely terrible in a completely hilarious way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixghost:
    Hahaha, alright, you got me there. But still, you know what I mean. People get wind of this sort of thing. Like what happened with Halverson and that Golden Axe game.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By VWGTI

Oh christ...

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Castro

It seems to me like the dude from IGN is the only one that doesn't like this game. I read Jim Sterling's review and I've read the posts from people on here (that have actually played the game) as well as Neogaf, and it seems pretty unanimous that this game is awesome. So yeah, I'm definitely picking it up.

Also, 10 years from now this game will probably sell for quite a bit on Ebay as it will be considered a cult classic at that point and I seriously doubt that they'll print that many copies of it. Probably.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Are you guys commenting on the Deadly Premonition > Heavy Rain article?  LOL.

It's good to know that I can get Deadly Premo for only $20 as my Heavy Rain substitute for the 360. Yeah!  :-)   Now to read the probably funny article that glorifies Deadly Premo & rains shit all over Heavy Rain...roffles.

jzungre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By jzungre

I don't really dig that the main reason he justifies his review score is the price point....  And what if it was 60?  would it automatically become a 7...?   20 bucks to some people is nothing, to others a lot.

jzungre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jzungre

I don't really dig that the main reason he justifies his review score is the price point....  And what if it was 60?  would it automatically become a 7...?   20 bucks to some people is nothing, to others a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.