Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Director's Cut features discussion

Pestulon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pestulon

When Deadly Premonition came out on the XBox a few years ago, I got to maybe half way through the game. Seeing that there will be a new director's cut of the game this Spring, I thought this would be a wonderful opportunity to go back and finish the game. So I started doing some research on the director's cut to see what has changed. After watching a couple of Swery interviews, it seems that the new features they have announced so far include:

• HD graphics
    • Additional scenes
    • Improved shooting mechanics
    • Reduced difficulty (combat & QTE's)

These are the new features that I have seen Swery talk about so far. Personally, I am hoping that they would also improve the driving mechanics and make time management a little less restrictive. I did not like having to replay certain chapters over and over again to be able to do all the side quest stuff. I would have liked to have the opportunity to explore the town more at my own pace, without worrying about time limits too much.

Other small quality of life type of improvements that I would like to see in the game include larger gas tanks, more inventory space, improved nutrition mechanics and maybe even some sort of fast travel option. I know that most of these are available as side quest rewards in the original game but it would be nice to have these in some form off the bat and make the side quest rewards improve these further for instance. In the original game I felt like completing the side quests at the earliest opportunity was almost mandatory if you wanted to enjoy the game.

What do you guys think about the new features they have mentioned so far? What other improvements would be on your personal wish list for the ultimate Deadly Premonition Director's Cut? Or do you feel that improved visuals and better aiming and shooting mechanics alone is enough to make you want to return to Greenvale?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

I never played it so I will be jumping on it for the first time when this comes out.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By spiceninja

Did the original Xbox 360 release not have HD graphics?

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThePaleKing

Cut out all the combat and quick time events.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By XenoNick

Kinda gutted the Directors Cut isn't coming to 360 (Just S-Ranked the game recently and would love to see the changes). Making the QTEs easier is a pretty good idea. Heard there is gonna be some new story stuff which could be interesting.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By coakroach

Will there be bicycles and cologne?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By musclerider

I played all the way through this game with a friend of mine and we plan on doing the same thing with the DC. Now with my friend at the wheel I'm kind of bummed he'll never get to experience the full awfulness of the combat. Wall ladies, anyone?

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind
    Pestulon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pestulon

@DarthOrange said:

I never played it so I will be jumping on it for the first time when this comes out.

I'm sure you'll find it entertaining. It's pretty much "Twin Peaks: The Game" in so many ways.

@ThePaleKing said:

Yeah, this is exactly how I felt playing it the first time around. I just would have wanted to see how the story ends and what happens to all the quirky characters but the terrible survival horror action sequences made it such a chore to play.

As far as extra story content goes, I believe they mentioned some added prologue stuff in the beginning and an extended ending of some sort. And Swery mentioned that there would be DLC for the game as well, that add some extra sequences, which I'm not too excited about to be honest. I mean, if the DLC scenarios are actual story-enhancing chapters, then they should be part of the main Director's Cut experience in my opinion. And if they are something else, like additional challenge or survival modes, I couldn't care less.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@ThePaleKing said:

Seriously.

It's funny because I've heard that Swery didn't want any combat and was forced to put it in... so now his directors cut still has it?

Weird.

Not sure what to say about this version as it costs more and from what I've seen, I don't get what differences there are. Maybe I've just missed them but it looks the exact same.

@Pestulon said:

As far as extra story content goes, I believe they mentioned some added prologue stuff in the beginning and an extended ending of some sort. And Swery mentioned that there would be DLC for the game as well, that add some extra sequences, which I'm not too excited about to be honest. I mean, if the DLC scenarios are actual story-enhancing chapters, then they should be part of the main Director's Cut experience in my opinion. And if they are something else, like additional challenge or survival modes, I couldn't care less.

The fact that he wouldn't put this DLC in what is called a directors cut says it all.

I can't help but be pretty negative about this. Sounds greedy.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Rafaelfc

i'll wait until I get this game inevitably from the PS+ Instant Collection...

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

He's also confirmed that the mini-map will be improved; that was basically his first announced feature, I think.

Honestly, I love Deadly Premonition enough that I was simply planning to buy the PS3 version when it eventually came out, director's cut or not. So long as the "improvements" aren't actually detriments in disguise (think Star Wars special editions) we'll be fine. I almost just want a loaner copy for PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.