Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Going in blind - Anything I should know?

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SagaciousJones

I have not watched the Endurance Run and know essentially nothing about this game besides having read the manual and watching a few bizarre cutscenes. Being a weird Japanese game, I know there's a good chance that there will be some pitfalls that I'd like to avoid.

So, without spoiling the story, is there anything in particular I should watch out for or make a priority? Should I be doing side missions before story, or the other way around?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

There are some infinite ammo version of weapons hidden around the world- they make some later parts of the game much, much more manageable. I'd suggest finding them as soon as possible.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By soldierg654342

Play it on easy. Find all the bones on the map as soon as possible. Don't use the radio, you miss out on one of the best parts of the game.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By white_sox

Don't run out of gas.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dabe

Do as many side quests as you can. Don't worry about spending days between story missions to complete them. Get the infinite ammo weapons as quickly as you can find them and don't watch Twin Peaks first.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SagaciousJones

I read a discussion about the ERs where people commented that a lot of the guys' frustration could have been avoided by doing some extra things, so I'm glad to have some specifics.

Thanks everybody!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

It's in the coffee. That is all you need to know.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

If we tell you, then you're not going in blind.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By tourgen

Smoke to pass some time, do side quests , visit people at their homes, aim for the head

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dabe said:

Do as many side quests as you can. Don't worry about spending days between story missions to complete them. Get the infinite ammo weapons as quickly as you can find them and don't watch Twin Peaks first.

This nails it on the head. Ignore the story missions until you've done everything you can. Besides a tiny bit of dialog about you being late, there's no repercussions. and the benefits from most of the side missions make the game so much better.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

don't rely on the map, because it's mostly useless

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akyho

All I have to say it stay focused. I too went in blind and I am maybe half way? Its a great game, I need to complete it and get round to the ER.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

Aim for the head. Isn't that right, Zach?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Phatmac

FK

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

The map is shaped like a dog.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ExplodeMode

It's helpful to explore a lot. Rather than going from point a to b, instead take your time and just drive around and talk to people. You will end up doing a lot side quests with good rewards. And really the worst part of the game is the combat, so that pads out the in-between combat stuff as much as possible and gives you good items to make it less of an issue.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Tylea002

@Video_Game_King said:

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Video_Game_King said:

Um, obviously? I was just trying to say that I have no idea what I'm in for and wanted some advice.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SagaciousJones

Well, that was an interesting week. Game finished and all 65 cards found. What a wonderful experience.

Thanks again for all the advice, guys. There are a few amendments I would make for anyone in a similar situation as I was (no knowledge of the game, looking for obvious tips without spoilers).

First and most important, I think, is that anyone looking to do the sidequests needs to know what "Available Side Missions" in the menu means. Specifically, that the numbers in the quest list refer to the chapters that mission is available in. I spent a third of the game thinking it referred to what side-quests would become available after I cleared that mission (which was a really dumb assumption) and so had to spend a lot of time doing the replays to see some fairly backstory-important missions (such as the quest chain that starts with Anna's mother).

Also, the "don't use the radio" advice is helpful, given how amazing the car conversations are. However, I would phrase it as "don't use the radio...when advancing the story." Once you've burned through the conversations at a given point, York just cycles through a bunch of meaningless hums and hahs. I've played enough Japanese games where doing one seemingly insignificant action can lock you out of important content (example: FFXII chests and the Zodiac Spear) and it'd be easy to make the wrong assumption about the radio.

Finally, here's two things I discovered: First, there's a warp point via the radio that has a bed and spawns infinite food if you want to avoid going back to the hotel (if you don't want to conclude a chapter or something). This makes for good base for advancing time while doing side quests. You'll need to go to the Sheriff's Department to get cleaned up, though. Second, Chapter 7 is probably the most efficient replay chapter for side-quests, as it has the least amount of content you have to deal with in order to conclude the replay to compile your progress into your save.

Spoil-free advice is a fine line to walk down. I appreciate how you guys left it nice and vague, and the stuff I just typed out might be too much information for a newcomer wanting a fresh experience. Either way, I felt like saying it. Now I can look forward to watching both Endurance Runs until I get completely sick of this game. Right, Zach?

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Nilazz

Now, play through the Director's Cut ;)

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

Mmm... sinners sandwich...

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bell_End

be aware they games is actually shit an is for the most part liked ironically. the story is ok but the game feels like it fell out of 10 years ago.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SagaciousJones

@Nilazz said:

That's the plan. I'll probably pick it up on release since I get the vibe that it'll have a limited print run which will skyrocket the price after a few months. I'm already regretting not getting Xenoblade Chronicles when I had the the chance.

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT READ THE TRADING CARDS. A handful of them contain some pretty big spoilers. Not enough to ruin the mystery, but enough to take some suspense out of how the plot plays out.

WEB_War4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WEB_War4

Don't forget to watch Twin Peaks.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickL

@SagaciousJones said:

@Nilazz said:

That's the plan. I'll probably pick it up on release since I get the vibe that it'll have a limited print run which will skyrocket the price after a few months. I'm already regretting not getting Xenoblade Chronicles when I had the the chance.

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT READ THE TRADING CARDS. A handful of them contain some pretty big spoilers. Not enough to ruin the mystery, but enough to take some suspense out of how the plot plays out.

There is no such thing as limited in games anymore. At least that's what I keep telling myself to avoid buying shit like Too Human.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.