Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

I ordered this on Amazon

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bretthancock

Without reading any spoilers I gathered from the NeoGaf thread that the plot, characters, dialog, and music is ridiculously insane and awesome in an ironic way.  I'm always attracted to odd games and for 20 bucks it's worth it to me.  If anyone else has played this or given it a chance what did you think? 

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

Well, then you're stupid.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bretthancock

Fantastic post, would read again.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

does not look too great 
    does not look too great 
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bretthancock

IGN reviews aren't exactly my primary source of non bias reviews.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

Awesome. The game looks really interesting. Let us know how it actually plays!

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Psych0Penguin

unlucky man, hope you get some enjoyment out of it ... even if its "ironic" enjoyment?

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By sarahsdad

I've got it in my gamefly queue; pretty far down, but it's there. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it after playing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By JJOR64
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bretthancock

Well if IGN hates it I can't possibly enjoy it at all.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pause422

The game is terrible, just look at 5 minutes of gameplay anywhere and you can tell that. If you can somehow justify your purchase of it with enjoyment, that's more power to you, but I rather think you will realize you wasted your money fairly fast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bretthancock said:
    " Well if IGN hates it I can't possibly enjoy it at all. "
    I'm not asking you to listen to IGN, just watch some gameplay footage. If you can, cancel your order.
    JammyLammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JammyLammy

I got it, best game I ever played.  Can't put it down, its that awesome 

The prologue is terrible though and not an indication of the game of itself. 

librariangmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By librariangmr

Bought it, played it and finished it the other day. Loved it through and through. I would definitely recommend this title (as well as recommend not paying much attention to the IGN review). It's a pretty long game too, took me about 14 hours to finish (didn't complete all the side quests).

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By larryrules138

I have it, a few hours into it. I really like it somehow. It's oddly enthralling and super enjoyable. The insanity makes it even more worthwhile. For sure worth a try, and no way a 2/10. It's a low budget game so the visuals aren't great, but I like most other things about this game. It has a lot of heart and takes a lot of chances which I think makes up for the lack of polish.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bretthancock
    @larryrules138: Thats the kind of honest opinion I'm looking for, I can't wait!
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Korone

anyone who doesn't like it is lying

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Suddenly I want to play this game as well....

larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By larryrules138

It's quirky as hell and almost hard to dislike since it does a little bit of everything. If you're a fan of Twin Peaks/Eraserhead/David Lynch surrealism, b-movie cheesiness, Japanese awkwardness, meme-inspiring shit-eating grins and offbeat humor you'll dig it. I originally got it just for the irony and so I could laugh at it but I eventually found myself playing for hours without realising.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Someone pasted a video on here about a part in the game the other day. The story looks like it could actually get interesting, and the music was kick-ass. I'm surprised at the music actually. 

I REALLY want to find this game when it gets cheap, and I know it will.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Castro

I don't wanna upset anyone here. I don't know that I will, but I just thought I would throw that out there before I said that I never take any stock in anything that IGN says. Not really sure why. I've always kinda seen them as the Maxim magazine of game review sites. The fact that they have a "resident hot girl" who is best known for licking a PSP doesn't really do much to help.

Still, a 2.0 is pretty damning regardless of where it's coming from. But fuck that. Twenty bucks + Twin Peaks = Guaranteed Sale! 

About twenty years ago, Nintendo Power told me that I would be getting a Twin Peaks game for the NES. This isn't exactly what I asked for, but it will do.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JeevesPleez
    @larryrules138 said:

" ...   If you're a fan of Twin Peaks/Eraserhead/David Lynch surrealism, b-movie cheesiness, Japanese awkwardness, meme-inspiring shit-eating grins and offbeat humor you'll dig it... "

Sold.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FCKSNAP

I'm definitely gonna get it since you can buy on Amazon with Heavy Rain for 75 bucks. That's like getting a blowjob for free! 

No not really. You can't find 5 dolla hookers 'round here. Also I've never actually seen a hooker and I live in Vegas.

XivSpew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By XivSpew
    @larryrules138 said:
    " It's quirky as hell and almost hard to dislike since it does a little bit of everything. If you're a fan of Twin Peaks/Eraserhead/David Lynch surrealism, b-movie cheesiness, Japanese awkwardness, meme-inspiring shit-eating grins and offbeat humor you'll dig it. I originally got it just for the irony and so I could laugh at it but I eventually found myself playing for hours without realising. "
    I 2nd all of that.  This game's a little like that god-awful movie you found on cable at 2 AM that you've watched 50 times over with friends, reveling in whatever headspace the developers were in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all of what people are posting is changing my mind. I just looked at the trailers, vehicle scene, graphics and voice acting and facepalmed without even giving it a chance. I love crappy horror movies.

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Metiphis

Wow there were a lot of rude people in this thread calling the game crap without actually having played it.  I think it appeals to a certain audience and graphics be damned.  I'm gonna go back to playing it now because I'm having a blast with the story and game mechanics.  Also it has some of the most amusing cut scenes I have ever seen.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By sopranosfan

I want to play it.  I wouldn't classify it is a must play but I will probably get around to it

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaptainObvious
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @larryrules138 said:
    " It's quirky as hell and almost hard to dislike since it does a little bit of everything. If you're a fan of Twin Peaks/Eraserhead/David Lynch surrealism, b-movie cheesiness, Japanese awkwardness, meme-inspiring shit-eating grins and offbeat humor you'll dig it. I originally got it just for the irony and so I could laugh at it but I eventually found myself playing for hours without realising. "
    I'm a fan of "good video game", does it have any of that in it?
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By larryrules138

It is a good game, once you get past the unpolished nature of it and if you can tolerate a bit of jankiness. If you can't, and none of what I said about the game appeals to you in the slightest, then skip it. If you're even vaguely interested I say give it a try. I really have no idea how IGN gave it a 2/10. It's not broken, which a score like that should be reserved for. It has quirks, has a generally unpolished look and feel, but it really excels in some areas. Most unique and engrossing game I've played in a while.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gloomytangent

I had some extra GS credit thanks to some choice bargin bin buys that I sold for more than I paid for... picked it up. I really enjoyed Twin Peaks on a weird, ironic level. So long as the game isn't broken it sounds like I might put up with it for its weirdness. And at 20 dollars I'll be fine if I get 4 hours in and get some laughs out of it. Yeah, I could have bought a good game, but I've played so many of those lately, a terribly shitty game can be nice to make you appreciate them a bit more.

glass_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By glass_flame

It definitely is not great; it fails on most levels of technical execution, but if you have the patience for it (4 hours is nowhere near enough) then I doubt that you'll find that you've wasted your money. I'm glad to see that the price point got some people to pick up a game that would've fallen off of my radar, at least, otherwise. 
    And to the guy who beat it in 14 hours - how did you do that? I'm ten hours in and not quite yet done with Chapter 2 pt. 2!

elfbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By elfbot
    @zudthespud said:

" all of what people are posting is changing my mind. I just looked at the trailers, vehicle scene, graphics and voice acting and facepalmed without even giving it a chance. I love crappy horror movies. "

The IGN video of driving purposely makes the game look more boring. During the entire drive in the video there's a prompt for the characters to start talking and that's some of the best dialogue in the game. 

The review also mentions that you can't control the camera, can't move while aiming, and can get stuck with low ammo and heath and have to start the game over. All of which are wrong.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By larryrules138
    @elfbot said:

"The review also mentions that you can't control the camera, can't move while aiming, and can get stuck with low ammo and heath and have to start the game over. All of which are wrong. "

If you have low health and ammo and save yourself into a corner you're doing it wrong. The game's really not that hard at all. And part of this guy's profession is playing games? Jesus Christ.

He had to have played this game for like an hour and then just stopped. I find it hard to believe you can complete the game without figuring out that you can move while shooting and control the camera.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Figuring the basic handgun has unlimited ammo the IGN reviewer must have been doing something wrong.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karl_Boss

Why do people always try to point towards reviews to say that a game is bad? People have different opinions....critics included.....play the game for yourself before trying to judge it harshly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#38  Edited By Yummylee

Hell yeah BOI!! Could probably get enough sales out of curiosity alone to possibily spawn a franchise ;P
    frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By frankfartmouth

Reviewers focus way too much on technical issues. Everyone bitches about games not getting the cultural or artistic recognition that films command, but then the reviews read like a product review for a cellphone. Shadow of the Colossus is hailed by many as one of the greatest examples of art creeping into video games, and it has numerous technical flaws.

Why can't the reviewers say the same things people are saying here: that the game is campy fun, enjoyably cheesy, etc.? Why do they have to focus on some prepackaged set of criteria of what a game should include or not include? Why can't a game have perfect imperfections like every other art form? It really seems like the gaming communities and developers are lapping the gaming media in these areas. 

I don't know, I remember back when I would get excited to read the new reviews from EGM every month. I trusted them, they seemed more honest than they do today. I'm sure some of that's because I was a kid, but even factoring that in, it still seems like things are different. I've pretty much given up on reading game reviews.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.