Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

SWERY working on Deadly Premonition 2

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bmehlers
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TruthTellah

@bmehlers: I think it may be misleading to say that SWERY is "working on Deadly Premonition 2", as the offhand quote seems to suggest that he simply worked on it in the past. I would guess the idea was batted around a bit and some planning was done, but I don't think we can necessarily assume they did anything substantial with it or are still working on it until we hear a clarification.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yep, I saw this. I need to know what it is.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

As a previous poster said, it was quoted in the past tense. And, as perhaps the game's biggest fan, I don't want a sequel. I feel the first was perfect and adding on to it feels unneeded.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As a previous poster said, it was quoted in the past tense. And, as perhaps the game's biggest fan, I don't want a sequel. I feel the first was perfect and adding on to it feels unneeded.

But what if you can wear cologne and ride a bicycle?

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Pepsiman

This is one of those times where I really wish game outlets would properly archive the original, untranslated responses for interviews with Japanese creators. I get why it's not a common practice since reporters who aren't bilingual would have to probably pay for a third party to transcribe the original Japanese, but it would solve a hell of a lot of semantic headaches that arise when you only have the final translation to work with. Someone like me would be able to look at that source text and tell you in five seconds just what sort of nuance was implied in the original response that a translation might not entirely convey.

As it is, whoever was the translator for the Gaming Bolt interview seems to have played it pretty straight and literal sounding, which can provide clues as to what was probably said in Japanese. If that's the case, I'd agree with the consensus that it sounds like Swery is merely referring to the fact that he at least worked on a sequel at some point in the past, but isn't necessarily doing so right at this moment. Was it cancelled? Was work halted? It may not necessarily be the former if he's able to mention it so casually because that would likely break publisher agreements of some sort if, say, Marvellous, the Japanese publisher of the first game, owns the IP to the series in general. But on the other hand, even if he himself owns that IP somehow, the fact that he can mention that work on a sequel so nonchalantly may indicate that he just didn't get that much done. It's hard to say; my words are just as much conjecture as everyone else's, but that's probably the most solid theory to go on. He's pretty outspoken on Twitter though; maybe if somebody were to ping him, he'd be willing to clarify if anybody is that curious.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bmehlers

I agree it may be assuming too much to say he's working on it, because he is definitely focusing on D4 right now. One can only hope that a next gen Deadly Premonition sequel will be his next project.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe he was talking about working on the ports of the first game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Fucking A in the coffee.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

Sign me up, guy can write crazy shit and its extremely entertaining

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.