Do you think this game will be bad?

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrHadouken

I haven't been paying any attention to it, but I just watched the launch trailer and it looks like just dumb fun. In a way a B movie DMC... if you kind of get what I am saying? What do you guys think?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Solely judging on the box art alone I can only assume it will be between bad and meh

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It looks cheesy and fun in that popcorn flick kind of way but i'm worried this game will not shape up too well. I believe they released the whole team as soon and the game was done and there have been no marketing or much coverage on the game.

Now what level of jank this game will have is still up in the air. It could be janky but still fun like alpha protocol or janky bad like Duke Nukem. My guess it will be somewhere in the middle of fun and janky.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that I can't judge a piece of media I have not finished, or even touched. But this just seems like it's going to be a horrible train wreck. I feel like it's going to be Nolan North's "Garfield."

BlueWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have never enjoyed a High Noon game. Might be funny, but it might not.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skimmed a tad through an early playthrough, gameplay looked non-intrusive, but I did laugh a few times.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By Svenzon

Judging from what I've seen on YouTube, it doesn't seem terrible. The gameplay seems pretty average, not far from Raven's Wolverine game, and the humor is a mixed bag. Some jokes are pretty funny, some not at all. Enemy corpses blink for a few seconds before disappearing like in the NES days, which I find kinda charming. Nolan North seems to be having fun, at least.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just as bad as that Wolverine game back in the day, probably.
And I liked that a little.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No thank you! It looks like it plays like story missions from Spider-man 2 for the ps2 . Nothing from the trailers or gameplay that I've seen looks worthwhile. The jokes seem cringeworthy and the gameplay seems boring.

I'm not really the target demo though as I don't have a past with Deadpool or High Noon.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 15

You're almost guaranteed that it's going to be bad.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Nezza

Alex has said that he is playing it on Twitter. If they've given it to him to play, then it is not a good sign.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza said:

Alex has said that he is playing it on Twitter. If they've given it to him to play, then it is not a good sign.

Twitter plays games? I think I may have to get this Twitter thing then...

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Will wait for reviews and then most likely a Steam sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm expecting it to be really average. Seems like a 5-6/10 game.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jimmyfenix
FunkyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw this game at London comic con and it just looked kind of mediocre. A friend with me who likes Deadpool a lot was really excited for it, though.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

I dunno about this one..usually if there is no gameplay vids or anything like that to come out before its release it usually means they are hiding something.....but time will tell.

Reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat animations didn't look very tight at all, which doesn't bode well for the controls. Maybe it'll be alright but It doesn't look like much.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

As opposed to good?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, but I started thinking about the game, and then started thinking about NeverDead. I think that's an indication of how I think this will go.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I think it'll be unremarkable and forgettable.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most comicbook games are bad. Judging by that and early buzz, yes it will be bad.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That was Raven, this is High Moon. I doubt it'll be as good as that Wolverine game.

@quarters said:

I don't know why, but I started thinking about the game, and then started thinking about NeverDead. I think that's an indication of how I think this will go.

Sounds about right. (although ND did try some new things at least) This game seems way too self aware though. I dont know if the comics are that bad or maby it just doesnt translate well to video/audio but it seems too much.

Protome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I had hope for it when they said Cable and Domino would be in it. Then lost it all when I found out Daniel Way wrote it. That guy has single handedly ruined Deadpool.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a game starring Deadpool, what do you think?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@protome said:

I had hope for it when they said Cable and Domino would be in it. Then lost it all when I found out Daniel Way wrote it. That guy has single handedly ruined Deadpool.

Yes! He is terrible!

lexyz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@zeforgotten said:

That was Raven, this is High Moon. I doubt it'll be as good as that Wolverine game.

@quarters said:

Sounds about right. (although ND did try some new things at least) This game seems way too self aware though. I dont know if the comics are that bad or maby it just doesnt translate well to video/audio but it seems too much.

Zero fucks were given when it comes to who made the game though.
Not unexpectedly my point flew right over your head

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How low can he go? Sorry, I'm listening to Ludacris right now so that should tell you how I feel about the game.

And by that I have no idea who Deadpool is, I see he's in Marvel and now he's in the new Batman game? wtf? I was watching a dude play it on twitch and some of the toilet humor had me chuckle a bit but then again my humor varies on how impaired I am via either liquor or drugs so... who knows for me?

To answer the question I'm sure it will be an average action game for the summer.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I cannot possibly fathom Alex giving it more than a 3.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Unfortunately, it probably won't be. Poor Alex.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@beachthunder: Alex will give it a 1/5 I guarantee, I watched some youtube vids to check out the gameplay and while some of the cutscenes are ok.... Some have a Duke Nukem Forever cringe quality to them, there's one scene where a villain named Arclight is impaled through her torso by rebar lying dead and Deadpool is imagining squeezing her breasts from a distance. A'la close focus style between his fingers while she's dead. It's pretty fucked up.

This shits gonna explode all over the webs in a bad way. Especially since theres really nothing going on right now in the gaming press.

edit: the gameplay is just a monotonous beat up some thugs hash with a turret sequence mixed in here and there.

2nd edit: while some of the cutscenes are kind of funny, I just don't see most of the gaming press let this game slide with it's misogyny in this day and age. It's too big of a target for a big article.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By devise22  Online

@beachthunder:

Alex will give it a 1/5 I guarantee, I watched some youtube vids to check out the gameplay and while some of the cutscenes are ok.... Some have a Duke Nukem Forever cringe quality to them, there's one scene where a villain named

Arclight is impaled through her torso by rebar lying dead and Deadpool is imagining squeezing her breasts from a distance. A'la close focus style between his fingers while she's dead. It's pretty fucked up.

This shits gonna explode all over the webs in a bad way. Especially since theres really nothing going on right now in the gaming press.

edit: the gameplay is just a monotonous beat up some thugs hash with a turret sequence mixed in here and there.

2nd edit: while some of the cutscenes are kind of funny, I just don't see most of the gaming press let this game slide with it's misogyny in this day and age. It's too big of a target for a big article.

But that is Deadpool.

When did it become a crime to be violent and self aware? Does that mean we should parade around and call stuff like this the best ever. Of course not. Gameplay wise it looks and from the brief bit of it I played earlier like a third person action shooter with all the check boxes filled. Upgrade systems, a mixture of gun and sword combat, light rpg mechanics, and various gameplay elements all themed into one. Your typical third person action game these days. But it isn't completely unfunny. Granted I have always liked the Deadpool character and when something is so self aware I generally enjoy seeing how creative/far they will go with references and just in general what they do.

But we don't need to just hate on it because it's average and self aware. I feel like so much of the video game world is up it's own ass about resenting anything that even remotely appears childish or offensive in any way. Like calm down. Deadpool has been childish and offensive long before he had a video game. If you are going to do a game about him would it not make sense to make it childish and offensive? It's not like actually admitting some of the jokes are pretty good and the game itself is a otherwise well made "average" game is going to suddenly say we all embrace the industry being sexist and racist and offensive and on and on.

Personally I think the approach to this game needs to be relax, try to let yourself enjoy it and if the self aware stuff and the violent combat isn't for you, move on. If it is? Cool, maybe you'll be able to drink a few beers have a few laughs and get a decent experience out of it....

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching some game play, it didn't look as bad as I thought and just came off at being mediocre at worst. I didn't expect that much out of the game in the first place anyway, so it is not really surprising me that it is going to be nothing great. I would totally pick up a mediocre game if it was cheaper than the price point it is at.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yeah it probably will.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devise22: That's all fine and dandy but that scene that I described is gonna explode like the alien impregnated twins from Duke Nukem Forever.

I will fucking bet you Kotaku will have some fucking ten paragraph article about this within two weeks. Your response really misses my point, it's not about Deadpool's self awareness and that he wants he babes. It's that there's a pretty messed up cutscene that's gonna explode in the press as well as some other minor misogyny views. I'm sorry but wanting to squeeze a Dead chicks tits as humor is gonna rub a lot of people the wrong way.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've seen, it looked really mediocre. You know who the real victim is here? Nolan North. His voice acting is great, unfortunately the game isn't. Such a shame.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fearbeard

If GiantBomb reviews it then I'd expect a 2 star review. Probably a metacritic of the mid 50's to mid 60's.

I don't think it will be particularly awful, just extremely mediocre.

Edit: Well after seeing some videos I'm thinking that this game might get slaughtered by the critics based on the current backlash towards sexism and misogyny in games. Personally I think it might be a solid 7.5 (which is enough to get me to play a game) but I don't think it's going to score that high due to it's offensive nature.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By maskedarcstrike

Here's the fight

Loading Video...

edit: i marked it

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sanious

@devise22: That's all fine and dandy but that scene that I described is gonna explode like the alien impregnated twins from Duke Nukem Forever.

I will fucking bet you Kotaku will have some fucking ten paragraph article about this within two weeks. Your response really misses my point, it's not about Deadpool's self awareness and that he wants he babes. It's that there's a pretty messed up cutscene that's gonna explode in the press as well as some other minor misogyny views. I'm sorry but wanting to squeeze a Dead chicks tits as humor is gonna rub a lot of people the wrong way.

If it rubs them the wrong way, they don't have to play or pay attention to the games existence. After seeing the scene myself, if anyone picked up on this and tried to make a big deal about it I'd tell them to get better things to worry about.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By maskedarcstrike
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maskedarcstrike: ...eh, air pinching? That's no Duke Nukem dead breasts slapping. I think this game will just be regarded as bad, and something dumb like that won't be much of anything versus the symphony of dumb around it.

Deadpool will be -lucky- if it gets any press for that.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 devise22  Online

Even if they were to freak out about it and the whole internet blows up doesn't change the fact that it doesn't make any logical sense.

Duke Nukem made some sense. While Duke Nukem was a mildy offensive game way back when, it certainly wasn't what they did with Duke Nukem forever levels of offensive. Flipping out about a Deadpool game making jokes about something like that to me makes as much as sense as getting mad at a movie about serial killers featuring murder. Know your subject matter before you go in and set your expectations accordingly. In this case the source material is just as offensive and over the top. Deadpool is so sexist in the comics it's kind of crazy. But that is the character. Throwing that on a game suddenly doesn't make it more relevant or more offensive. :S

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The first trailer completely whiffed on the humor for me. I think Deadpool can be funny, but this game kinda isn't grasping it.

Also mediocre beat'em up combat isn't too high on my list of things I want to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.