Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dear Esther

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

An unconventional Source-engine mod that features a melancholic atmosphere. Originally a university research project, it experiments by removing most typical player interactions, while seeking to still create a strong player experience. It was released as a standalone experience in 2012.

Dear Esther Review Up

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Edited By MikeLemmer

You can read it here.

Judging from the comments, looks like it's a pretty divisive "game". People either love it or hate it. I suspect it has as much to do with when you play it as any merits of the game proper. This is a slow, melancholic game. Play it during an evening you're in a melancholic mood with 2 hours to spare. Playing it any other time is like watching a horror movie in broad daylight.

No Caption Provided

It's a pity some of the game's detractors quit after ~20-30 minutes; the Caves level of the game (~40 minutes in) has some of the best stalactic/stalagmite graphics I've ever seen. Combined with the lighting effects, it makes for some hauntingly beautiful sights.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MikeLemmer

You can read it here.

Judging from the comments, looks like it's a pretty divisive "game". People either love it or hate it. I suspect it has as much to do with when you play it as any merits of the game proper. This is a slow, melancholic game. Play it during an evening you're in a melancholic mood with 2 hours to spare. Playing it any other time is like watching a horror movie in broad daylight.

No Caption Provided

It's a pity some of the game's detractors quit after ~20-30 minutes; the Caves level of the game (~40 minutes in) has some of the best stalactic/stalagmite graphics I've ever seen. Combined with the lighting effects, it makes for some hauntingly beautiful sights.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SharkEthic

Really surprised that people are taking around 2 hours to finish this. My first play through took 50 minutes and I didn't rush through it in the slightest. Maybe I'm missing something..?

I really enjoyed Dear Esther. I'm recommending it to people that I think will appreciate it and I'm gonna play through it again in the near future. That being said, I think it would have subtracted substantially from the experience had it been 2 hours long.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikeLemmer

@SharkEthic said:

Really surprised that people are taking around 2 hours to finish this. My first play through took 50 minutes and I didn't rush through it in the slightest. Maybe I'm missing something..?

I did quite a bit of backtracking and exploring to make sure I didn't miss anything. Catch extra narrations, try to read the writing on the wall, double-check what I just saw, that stuff. The fact you can take anywhere from 50 minutes to 100 minutes to explore the world & complete the story is the best argument for making this interactive: you can investigate the details as much (or as little) as you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.