Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dear Esther

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

An unconventional Source-engine mod that features a melancholic atmosphere. Originally a university research project, it experiments by removing most typical player interactions, while seeking to still create a strong player experience. It was released as a standalone experience in 2012.

Is this worth 5 bucks?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngeTheDude

It's on Steam's Midweek Madness sale and I was wondering if it was worth this price. I could eat a pretty legit sandwich for 5 bucks. What do you guys think?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

Buy!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Breadfan said:
    Buy!
    The sandwich!
    ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Da.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By knetic2341

Ha, well I am hoping it is since I purchased it 2 hours ago for that price. Sounded like a great experience for a "game."

plasticstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By plasticstars

Yes. I paid price for it on release and I was still immensely satisfied.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By InternetCrab

Just played through it. Yes, I must say it is worth it.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sweetz

I just finished it and I'm on the fence. The graphics are rather pretty, and the music is effective for lack of a better term. However, I wish it told a more comprehensible, well defined story instead of stringing together a bunch of random, nebulous anecdotes and expecting the player to form meaning out of bullshit. A rough story emerges regardless of what bits you get, but I think the game falls short of it's potential. It could have been an excellent, passively interactive short story; instead it comes off as an art experiment that succeeds in aesthetics, but fails in narrative. Just my opinion obviously, but ultimately I think I was more annoyed by it falling short of what I perceived was an enormous potential, than I was enthralled by it's visual and aural aspects.

Perhaps that's all moot given that the sale is over...

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By Forcen

Even cheaper now!

ScoreSetter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By ScoreSetter

@Sweetz said:

I just finished it and I'm on the fence. The graphics are rather pretty, and the music is effective for lack of a better term. However, I wish it told a more comprehensible, well defined story instead of stringing together a bunch of random, nebulous anecdotes and expecting the player to form meaning out of bullshit. A rough story emerges regardless of what bits you get, but I think the game falls short of it's potential. It could have been an excellent, passively interactive short story; instead it comes off as an art experiment that succeeds in aesthetics, but fails in narrative. Just my opinion obviously, but ultimately I think I was more annoyed by it falling short of what I perceived was an enormous potential, than I was enthralled by it's visual and aural aspects.

Perhaps that's all moot given that the sale is over...

Thanks for talking it down some. Now when I eventually get it, I won't be expecting the greatest thing ever :)

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By matti00

I paid about that for it in the summer sale, and I was very happy with my purchase. Although that might just be because it references my hometown on several occasions. It has a very good ending, but you can still play it through a few times. Give it a go.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By EVO

Fuck yeah it's worth 5 bucks. It has some of the most beautiful scenery you'll seen in a game, plus the ending is great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.