• 50 results
glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

Assuming that there won't be delays, we won't have to wait for PS5 before we get to poke & prod at Kojima's new creation, which will come out on the 8th of November.

Looks like a whole lot. Bombastic with it's visuals at least, if anything.

"People have created 'Walls' and become accustomed to living in isolation.

"Death Stranding is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the 'Strand' or connection.

"As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or 'Strands' with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you'll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others."

reap3r160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven no idea what this game is.....hahaha.

I mean I can't say I'm not intrigued, but I sure hope they say more.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay's definitely looking interesting. Traversal being the main element that enemies get in the way of as opposed to combat as the core element could be really cool, especially if you have to outfit yourself for each trip you make and have to commit to it with the limited resources you have on you, and don't necessarily know what you'll encounter.

Character names are dumb as hell and not in a good way, remains to be seen if Kojima's writing is better when he's not having to deal with an established setting.

By the way, the collector's edition seems to come with a life sized (or close to it) baby in a jar.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By glots
@brackstone said:

By the way, the collector's edition seems to come with a life sized (or close to it) baby in a jar.

Who WOULDN'T want this thing?

No Caption Provided

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no it's not.

(woo!)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By liquiddragon  Online

I haven't seen the last 2-3 trailers! Pretty excited!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By notnert427

I demand a full GBE playthrough of this game. I have zero desire to play it, but I sure do want to watch Dan play it and try to process the nonsense.

Also, this isn't coming out in November.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rejizzle

I think this all looks real dumb, and only time will tell if it's dumb in a good or bad way. Good to see that Kojima is still Kojima at least.

President of the United States lying in a hospital bed in the oval office. Great silly image, real unsubtle, Kojima as all heck.

Epidehl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Epidehl  Online

Gotta say, this is the first trailer that makes this look like something I'd actually want to play instead of just... Some weird thing. It also comes out basically on my birthday so I'll probably check it out.

Good to see something filling in the hole left by the Sonic movie getting pushed back.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Humanity

Looks Kojima as fuck and I absolutely love it.

Incomprehensible, but visually striking. Wheelies on a trike, WWI trench runs, climbing simulator, baby fuel for your ghost radar..

I'm so glad Kojima just gets carte blanche on these things. It's like what if Grasshopper games were weird but also really polished and actually decent to play.

I mean I know there are Kojima detractors out there, folk that think Metal Gear is garbage blah blah.. but if you can't get some joy out of this guy getting out from an awful fucking place like Konami and then letting creatively loose and making some bizarre thing with a bunch of Hollywood actors and directors taking center stage than you've lost all joy in this industry.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This looks like it has more going on mechanically than I was expecting. If they can capture some of the gameplay creativity that went into MGS V then it could be pretty cool, even if the story turns out to be just Kojima at his worst.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Loved that trailer. Still don't know in the slightest what the fuck is going on, but at least now Kojima revealed quite a bit about gameplay mechanics. There seems to be a lot more to do than just walk through a (beautifully realized) wasteland.
November 8 seems extremely optimistic - but what do we really know? Could be a rather short game after all.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By BoOzak

I mean... I'm in... but i'd be lying if I said the game actually looked fun to play.

I'm not sure what it is but the combat animations also give me FFXV vibes, which isnt good. I liked FFXV but the combat wasnt very fluid and more than a bit clunky.

Also I really hope the game isnt in your face with social commentary about being divided and togetherness etc. etc. It could end up in Detroit: Become Human territory if so. (I like Kojima's work but he's even less subtle than David Cage)

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By notnert427

This thing really warrants some further discussion:

• You are the baby? We are all the baby? I...moving on.
  • Reedus family portrait is Back to the Future-y.
  • Sick bike, yo. Also, sick gold accessories (pre-order now!)
  • Crows. CAWWWW.
  • Politics. Excellent, this game "has something to say", and what that is will likely be dumb as shit.
  • "BRIDGES." Man, FUCK BRIDGES.
  • Reedus suits up in dope future gear.
  • Apocalyptica is actually an inspired musical choice.
  • Walking. YEAAAAHHH!
  • More walking.
  • Dogtags. Not just regular dogtags, but dogtags in spaaaaace.
  • Snow walking.
  • Magic extend-o ladder.
  • Slow rope descent down cliffside. This looks like extremely fun gameplay.
  • Woman held at gunpoint by oppressive military force. They're assholes.
  • Oof. I can't think this was intentional, but "homo demons" is a really ill-conceived phrase.
  • More sick gold! Bonus Jamie Lannister hand.
  • Teleportation to face-licking.
  • Stealth segment. Everyone loves these.
  • Fail state is onslaught of lightning spears. Don't tase Reedus, bro.
  • Batman combat, with cinematic slow-down.
  • Bike wheelie!
  • Guys in yellow hoodies hate rain.
  • BTs. Unfortunately, this isn't Titanfall-related. I got excited there for a second.
  • Okay, apparently the bridge baby is there for time-travel radar. Cool?
  • It appears the BTs are the Taken from Destiny. Also possibly zambies.
  • Sweet, I loved Battlefield 1! You're not gonna want to stand too close to Black Bess there, though. Trust me.
  • Oil man.
  • Okay, who threw the baby from Toy Story on the barb wire? Not cool.
  • Spinning Bruce Willis Norman Reedus.
  • VR.
  • Fuck these dogtags.
  • Water Reedus.
  • Cadaver.
  • Pool time.
  • Hugs, not drugs.
  • Cremation is still a thing.
  • So is drowning, apparently.
  • Yelling? Yawning? Either way, this has some real gif potential.
  • VR dogtags.
  • No no no, don't shake the bridge baby.
  • Either an acid trip or more VR.
  • Red dress lady framed on white background turns for dramatic effect. This is some Deadly Premonition shit.
  • Invisible graboids got him.
  • Leather suit. They're in The Matrix, guys. It all makes sense now.
  • BRIDGES. Also, Spider-Man has apparently taken over the US.
  • SAM. Reedus tear.
  • CLIFF. Mads vapes.
  • FRAGILE. More tears from a character that will likely be a wildly unhealthy depiction of women.
  • MAMA. Smiles.
  • DEADMAN. Nodding Guillermo del Toro, because why not?
  • HEARTMAN. Nicolas Winding Refn. This is completely unnecessary and fucking perfect.
  • DIE-HARDMAN. Annndddd we've peaked. Shut it down. Also, of course he's Skullface.
  • HIGGS. Basically Troy Baker as a Destiny character.
  • AMELIE. More tears, but this time they're blood tears.
  • Reapers. Stompy reapers, it seems.
  • Deflecting bullets like a true cool guy.
  • Hands pressed against glass.
  • Heads pressed against each other.
  • Toy Story baby in the womb?
  • Rebuilding America...from the MOOOON.
  • Apparently suicide rebuilds America.
  • Title card. Cast that's already been mentioned by name.
  • Oil soldier.
  • Lighting a cigarette from a floating ember is dumb and great.
  • Soldiers have red eyes. That's how you know they're bad.
  • They're also fireproof.
  • NOVEMBER 8, 2019. (Until it gets delayed)
  • Fog lady with speech on humanity.
  • Valentin Zukovsky drowns in his own caviar.
  • Glasses Mads. David Caruso dramatic glasses removal moment.
  • The baby is Reedus?

I love that this exists. I can't wait for November 8th....I mean, probably the PS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9
deactivated-5d5f33a6b34f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Specifically the part where he was running away from the dudes with the electric prods looked very goofy and clunky to me.

I like the idea of traversing long distances over these open and beautiful landscapes but I hope the whole gameplay aspect of creating ladders and other tools and equipment to get across doesn’t become too monotonous.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love bat-shit crazy. I am so on board with this game.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

Also I really hope the game isnt in your face with social commentary about being divided and togetherness etc. etc. It could end up in Detroit: Become Human territory if so. (I like Kojima's work but he's even less subtle than David Cage)

The main character's name is Sam Bridges, and he's tasked with rebuilding connection across America from the sickly US President. One of the main enemies are a group of militant separatists. This game is 100% going to be in your face social commentary.

Darn. Where's that Garth Marenghi meme when I need it?

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha wow! Well I guess I'll see you all on November 8th and we can finally find out kind of Drug The Death Stranding is suppose to be and what are it's lasting effects.

Honestly this could be a game that is 50% cut scene and I'd still be into it. Can't wait for what ever this is suppose to be.

SunSpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Metal Gear series has never been subtle, but this game seems like it's going in kind of an uncomfortable direction with its message. The trailer doesn't read to me as "People with different ideas and backgrounds can come together", which is a message most people can get behind, it seems more like "Individualism is wrong and you're obligated to help other people, even if you don't want to", which doesn't sit right. Admittedly, this is probably a result of the game being made by a Japanese guy, but why set the game in the United States if you're going to ignore American cultural values in favor of Japanese ones?

On the other hand, the name "Die Hardman" shows that Kojima's still willing to inject his usual brand of weirdness into Death Stranding. I hope there's more weird, fun stuff than political metaphors in this game, but I don't have super high hopes right now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Efesell

You know I think I've come to realize that I enjoy Death Stranding as a factory of inscrutable nonsense trailers but have no hype for it as something to actually play.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OurSin_360

This is the first video game trailer to get me actually excited in a few years. I don't own a ps4 anymore, but i may have to get one again at some point to play this. Feels a lot more like metal gear solid 6 than i thought it would lol. I hope the narrative comes together in a semi coherent way, but man all this looks interesting. Something with a triple A budget that's not cookie cutter cliche game we've played before. This definitely looks cool.

@sunspark said:

The Metal Gear series has never been subtle, but this game seems like it's going in kind of an uncomfortable direction with its message. The trailer doesn't read to me as "People with different ideas and backgrounds can come together", which is a message most people can get behind, it seems more like "Individualism is wrong and you're obligated to help other people, even if you don't want to", which doesn't sit right. Admittedly, this is probably a result of the game being made by a Japanese guy, but why set the game in the United States if you're going to ignore American cultural values in favor of Japanese ones?

On the other hand, the name "Die Hardman" shows that Kojima's still willing to inject his usual brand of weirdness into Death Stranding. I hope there's more weird, fun stuff than political metaphors in this game, but I don't have super high hopes right now.

I have no idea how you came to any of these conclusions from this trailer? Like i need an explanation lol.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It already feels like E3 and it isn't even June yet.

Rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#24 Rorie  Staff

I don't even know what to expect here, but I hope this is good.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the promo image for the Collector's Edition, the baby pod is called a "bb pod", with "bb"being internet slang for "baby" (albeit in a different context), which is maybe better than having a character called Die-Hardman?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the recent opening of WoW Classic beta (and upcoming release) I've been following that community recently and people there have talked a lot about the good old classic WoW videos with early Oughts metal music. So when I heard Apocalyptica I couldn't help but make that instant association, which made the whole thing weird on another level.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Best case scenario: Kojima actually wraps this story up and the almost guaranteed continuation of the long takes from MGS V don't end up being more of an indulgence than a means of telling a full story. I enjoyed his direction in MGS V on a surface level, but I'm a long take nerd and would never argue that it was actually effective or necessary to the storytelling, especially once we saw what God of War did with the technique. Also, the gameplay is full of unique and engaging systems that ably depict the message of connectivity Kojima is going for while not becoming just a survival game, or a shell of the playground that was MGS V due to this character's non-GMO background.

Worst case scenario: The script and direction is even more self-indulgent than MGS V was and the actual gameplay is a jumbled mess of ideas that never feel particularly good or necessarily invested in providing the player a satisfying video game experience. Every game Kojima has ever made suggests the latter can't possibly be the case, but there is always a chance that that could change and this video didn't make the combat or the stealth look like any fun honestly. Because KojiPro largely remained the same studio after the Konami departure I'm holding out hope but man that stuff looked raw for a game coming in a little over six months.

Whichever case scenario: I am still waiting for this game with bated breath, and happy that I now know what days I need to request off from work.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

After the first few trailers, I figured that there was nothing that could surprise me about whatever this thing turns out to be, but the bit in the oval office got me to once again ask, "What the fuck is this game?"

"You're the president of jack-shit." Death Stranding 11/8/19

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

Not that the final game won't portray it, but the earlier trailers, especially the last big one presented the game's sense of 'isolation' better (I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing here), but I'm happy we are hearing and seeing more characters and some kind of story. While it's still definitely strange, with this latest trailer it doesn't seem as strange or abstract as I thought it would be. Awkwardly, I know Kojima loves to shove story in his games, but I was actually surprised to see more story come from this.

I feel like we're finally seeing what this game is really about; maybe not entirely obviously, but we can speculate much better as to what it's about. At least, I think I can. Above all, I'm actually pretty happy it's coming out so 'soon' and on the PS4. I can't wait for next-gen, but I am also totally happy that I don't need to buy a new console to experience this game. Oh, and gameplay, like animations and shooting at least look very much like MGS5.

I guess I'd say the thing I am wondering most about is just, what exactly are the BT's? Is it ghosts, aliens, inside someone's mind, a projection from someone that had some science go bad on them, etc? It seems like he may be doing more war themes here just by having your character perhaps go back to wars in history once you die? Not sure. I hope it's not like the Matrix or something. If it is, then maybe I won't care, I don't know.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't know man. I don't know if that made me more or less likely to play it. I don't even know what the hell I just saw. Nah, fuck it, there's no way I'm not gonna play this, right?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as that trailer wasn't 90% of all the cutscnes, this game is incredibly intriguing.

Was Madds playing the role of Kojima at the end there?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to hear from anyone that doesn't love Die Hardman as a name. It's Hot Coldman all over again in the best way.

I love the look of this and it's not far off at all.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima hasn't failed me yet so I have faith that this will be a good video game at the very least.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Somehow Kojima gets me so fucking excited. He hasn't missed a step yet and this looks like no exception. Can't wait.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The internet now needs a Death Stranding name generator. I'm pretty sure at least one of these will end up being a character in the final game:

John Roper

Lad der Placer

Bobby Belay

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That can’t be a Hideo Kojima game, the women don’t even wear fetish outfits.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By berfunkle

I've read on several web sites that Death Stranding could be a timed exclusive. Would be awesome to play on PC, but I thought Sony was bankrolling this game. Can't believe the news is accurate.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That part about "create new bonds or "Strands" with other players around the globe" sounds potentially very interesting, like there's a multiplayer layer baked into it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris said:

That can’t be a Hideo Kojima game, the women don’t even wear fetish outfits.

Theres a woman called "Fragile" and she got licked by some supernatural dude. It's a Kojima game.

Gazoinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That trailer was awesome. I'm really excited for this game. I'm sure it'll be a mess, but even with all his issues I always appreciate that Kojima tries to do something more with his games than just make something entertaining. The story definitely seemed more straightforward here, though I'm still really intrigued with all this other side stuff and the BTs and what all. It seems like the other side is some kind of world of death that's leaking into our world, or... something? Dunno, but the atmosphere during the section with the BTs was really creepy. I hope he takes the chance to go full horror a few times here.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read on several web sites that Death Stranding could be a timed exclusive. Would be awesome to play on PC, but I thought Sony was bankrolling this game. Can't believe the news is accurate.

Didn't Kojima work with Guerrilla and use their engine? I don't know if that would prevent it from going elsewhere.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of love how cryptic and no spoilers at all about what this game even is. It's rather refreshing. It wouldn't surprise me when the game gets released that it just a big troll as this was all just one big advertisement for the actual game to be released in 5 years. I kind of love how completely nonsensical all of this is as well.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I would put that thing in my fridge and have someone open it, just to freak them the hell out.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't seem to care about this game. I like most of Metal Gear. Zone of the Enders was pretty cool. Boktai was a neat idea. But I never got to the level of Kojima worship I've seen in others. And I'm a champion of new and weird ideas, especially in this industry. But just....nothing about this looks interesting.

dgtlty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dgtlty

At least there's nothing political in this game, right?

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a link to a uproxx article talking about the more jokey reception the trailer has had.....quoting an Alex tweet towards the end.

https://uproxx.com/viral/funniest-best-tweets-death-stranding-release-date-trailer/

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... the more trailers I see the less interested I am in the game

I love Metal Gear Solid (and like Metal Gear), but it isn't for the story. Its for the ridiculously solid gameplay and amazing set pieces

Maybe when this releases Reedus will merge with Mads and gain the power to summon soldiers from every conflict in human history. But right now it looks like all the Kojima "story" (including awkwardly rapey moments) without the gameplay that motivates me to not skip said story.

reap3r160

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just a big troll as this was all just one big advertisement for the actual game to be released in 5 years.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. The point where Mads says something like, "I'll show you the real thing soon". It's at that moment I was all, "please let this be a troll that would be hilarious".

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rocketblast0063

Too bad that Kojima seems to be back in the Sony jail, I really enjoyed playing MGS 5 on PC, good engine too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.