Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Death

Concept »

The main line of distinction between victory or failure in video games, death is the process of a biological being ceasing to be alive.

Games That Dont Include Death??

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Titles in the minority. Most Puzzle games avoid death, but at the same time avoid any characters so there is no potential of death either. For example Tetris.

However some games like Pokemon manage to create character empathy and play out a full story complete with battles and fights and yet none of the characters actually die. Can you guys think of any other examples?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of games with no deaths. Two that come to my mind are Animal Crossing and Katamari Damacy.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Termite
    brukaoru said:
    "I'm sure there are plenty of examples of games with no deaths. Two that come to my mind are Animal Crossing and Katamari Damacy.
    "
    But what happens to all those people when they get rolled up?
    bigpig33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigpig33

sports games

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

The main characters or complete lack of death across the board?

If complete lack of death...

BioShock?

The upcoming Fable 2?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brukaoru
    Termite said:
    "But what happens to all those people when they get rolled up?"
    They become part of a beautiful star or planet! Seriously, they are probably wondering around on the star/planet just like the Prince and his cousins are on theirs.
    Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Giantkitty

My favorite is the game over: is there any game that doesn't have that eventually?

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Nintendude

*RIse from your soil you 2 years old topic on a dead forum about death*
    *cough* 
    sorry about this but I just couldn't resist to post.

This instantly brought a Wario Land 3, for Game Boy Color, to my mind. I really, really liked that game when I was a kid. You never could die or see any kind of game over screen despite it being a pure side scrolling platformer. The worst thing you can experience is to get pushed back to the beginning of the level because of a screw up, such as touching an enemy to turn you into a zombie and falling trough bunch of floors. Of course that's really rare, most of the time there are situations where you just simply lose few seconds, such as climbing up to an earlier point after getting bumped into water from a ledge. 

I'd say it still is one of the most fun 2D platformers to date featuring some of the tightest level designs ever. This game also provides me some of the fondest gaming memories I can remember ^^ Definitely recommending to anyone interested to try some old GBC game, there is no doubt that it's one of the best and prettiest looking games on the platform.

Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
    thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thekingoftoilets

Street Fighter? You only get knocked out.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Wildfire570

The 2008 Prince of Persia game doesn't have death at all.

evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By evildeadron

Wall Street Kid for the NES (1990) 

i have no damn idea why this was the first game to pop into my head regarding the topic
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By aaox
    Herdy Gerdy I don't think had any deaths. I did not like that game very much, however.
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nintendude
    @Wildfire570 said:
    " The 2008 Prince of Persia game doesn't have death at all. "
    Oh, of course. Didn't come to my mind at all. I hated that game and loved the other ones. Deaths are essential for a modern platformer, was only worth a rental for me because of that.
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By masternater27

Arkham Asylum, although I guess Batman could kinda die.  And there were dead bodies.  But you don't kill anybody at all.

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nintendude
    @masternater27 said:
    " Arkham Asylum, although I guess Batman could kinda die.  And there were dead bodies.  But you don't kill anybody at all. "
    Never played it myself but that's quite interesting, it's even more rare that way around when a game features enemies to defeat.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MKHavoc
    @Wildfire570: Not true.  You can't die while playing, but death is an important part of the story.
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wildfire570
    @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    Oh, of course. Didn't come to my mind at all. I hated that game and loved the other ones. Deaths are essential for a modern platformer, was only worth a rental for me because of that. "
    Really? I actually enjoyed that game for that very reason, it was the first platforming game I have played since Jak and Daxter series so it was rough getting used to falling. Kept me from throwing my controller.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By turboman

Flower

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By demontium

Banjo Kazooie N&B. 

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nintendude
    @Wildfire570 said:
    " @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    Oh, of course. Didn't come to my mind at all. I hated that game and loved the other ones. Deaths are essential for a modern platformer, was only worth a rental for me because of that. "
    Really? I actually enjoyed that game for that very reason, it was the first platforming game I have played since Jak and Daxter series so it was rough getting used to falling. Kept me from throwing my controller. "
    Yup, I just couldn't care any more after falling few times, ended up jumping all around the place without really checking where those actions lead. I was actually really surprised I got that, Be gentle with her achievement, I would have sworn I fell more often than that.
    aylien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By aylien

Hmm, maybe another question might be "Games that don't include loss?" Or is that even possible?

Because really, as your original post states, games that avoid character avoid death.  Pajitnov could have included the image of  a human manually moving the tetrinos around, who would get "killed" when the lines reached the top of the screen.
    But games like tetris just abstract the notion of a human avatar until it becomes unrecognizable.
    In other words, although there's no human-like object that "dies" in tetris, you can still "lose", which is essentially dying, until you restart the game.
    Same thing for Katamari, you "die" by failing to meet the conditions imposed to pass the level.

I'm trying to remember if you can "die" in flower, or whether you just keep going until you win. Do they time out your  game? 

*Are* there any games that don't have some form of "death"? And I guess to be clear, by "death" I mean an in-game state where you cannot do anything until you "resart" the game, however that's handled by each game.

Rior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Rior

Soulreaver

brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By brodywb

I don't think you can die in The Maw, but I haven't finished it yet, so maybe you can later.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    You make my brain hurt. It is essentially the same thing as dying sans the reload screen. Why the fuck would you want the load screen? Do you like wasting your time?
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

@thekingoftoilets:  Charlie's dead but yeah, I don't think they ever show someone dying.
      I can't think of a rhythm game that you die in.

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nintendude
    @LiquidPrince:@LiquidPrince said:
    " @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    You make my brain hurt. It is essentially the same thing as dying sans the reload screen. Why the fuck would you want the load screen? Do you like wasting your time? "
    It just worked much better in the sands trilogy in my opinion. i loved those and this one was too different for me. I think it's just the matter of not really risking as much as you used to.
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nintendude
    @aylien said:

"*Are* there any games that don't have some form of "death"? And I guess to be clear, by "death" I mean an in-game state where you cannot do anything until you "resart" the game, however that's handled by each game. "

That Wario Land 3 still fits in these rules. You can continue until you have completed a level, no matter what.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Nintendude said:
    " @LiquidPrince:@LiquidPrince said:
    " @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    You make my brain hurt. It is essentially the same thing as dying sans the reload screen. Why the fuck would you want the load screen? Do you like wasting your time? "
    It just worked much better in the sands trilogy in my opinion. i loved those and this one was too different for me. I think it's just the matter of not really risking as much as you used to. "
    Trust me, I'm Giantbomb's resident fanboy. I still don't understand why people complained about it.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By Sooperspy

Peggle, sports games, kart racers

Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nintendude
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Wildfire570 said:

It just worked much better in the sands trilogy in my opinion. i loved those and this one was too different for me. I think it's just the matter of not really risking as much as you used to. "
    Trust me, I'm Giantbomb's resident fanboy. I still don't understand why people complained about it. "
    Heheh, it's just a matter of preference and people tending to stick with something more familiar style of mechanic. Especially with this kind of situation where it has always been the other way. For me, it was purely the lack of bigger penalty which made the game feel just that little bit too easy.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Nintendude said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Wildfire570 said:

Trust me, I'm Giantbomb's resident fanboy. I still don't understand why people complained about it. "
    Heheh, it's just a matter of preference and people tending to stick with something more familiar style of mechanic. Especially with this kind of situation where it has always been the other way. For me, it was purely the lack of bigger penalty which made the game feel just that little bit too easy. "
    So you're saying people don't like innovation.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By Ryax

Rapelay! it holy has death if you cant rape correctly

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wildfire570
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Nintendude said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Nintendude said:

" @Wildfire570 said:

Heheh, it's just a matter of preference and people tending to stick with something more familiar style of mechanic. Especially with this kind of situation where it has always been the other way. For me, it was purely the lack of bigger penalty which made the game feel just that little bit too easy. "
    So you're saying people don't like innovation. "
    Well its sort of innovative that you can't really "die" within the game, it could be due to the lack of challenge that originals might have had then. Though throwing in another option to have higher difficulty maybe wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Nintendude said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    Also, are we talking no deaths or straight up no death-like occurences? because pokemon only "faint", and even in mario games he just kinda howls and the screen fades to black/he hits the last checkpoint but he never actually dies.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Vinny_Says

the simpsons hit and run

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Nintendude said:
    " @masternater27 said:
    " Arkham Asylum, although I guess Batman could kinda die.  And there were dead bodies.  But you don't kill anybody at all. "
    Never played it myself but that's quite interesting, it's even more rare that way around when a game features enemies to defeat. "
    that game has several people dying !  Frank Boles for example

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.