Very little is known about Decoy Octopus. At some point in his life, he had his nose, ears, and cheekbones shaved down to make disguising himself easier, as well as having his hairline shaved back to ease mimicking different hairstyles. While mimicking someone, Decoy Octopus swapped his blood for that of the subject he was mimicking. He would even go beyond merely parroting his target's mannerisms, personality and appearance, but he would become that very person.
Metal Gear Solid
Decoy Octopus was one of the FOXHOUND
operatives who took part in the revolt under Liquid Snake
's leadership. When Solid Snake
infiltrated Shadow Moses Island
, he met the DARPA Chief Donald Anderson
. This was in reality Decoy Octopus who lied to Snake about having his detonation code found out by Psycho Mantis
and also informed him about the PAL override system. He then died of a heart attack, which is eventually revealed to be a FOXDIE
virus attack. It is later explained that Donald Anderson was a target of the FOXDIE virus implanted in Snake, and as Decoy Octopus swapped his blood with Donald Anderson he was susceptible to the virus.
- Revolver Ocelot stated in a conversation with Liquid Snake that Decoy Octopus was possibly the oldest member of FOXHOUND.
- His body was later retrieved by Vulcan Raven after succumbing to FOXDIE.
- He is seen in his normal appearance only once in the game in an exposition sequence.
- He is the only FOXHOUND operative whose primary specialties do not lie in combat, hence, he does not end up fighting Snake.
- Originally, Snake was to fight Decoy Octopus outright, but it was omitted as Hideo Kojima's vision could not be realized on PlayStation hardware. His ideas were later integrated into the Laughing Octopus boss battle in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.
Log in to comment