Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

holy crap this game is good, even in 2015

• 57 results
    GordonDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think my favorite thing about Demon's Souls compared to its Dark brothers, is the way that every boss feels incredibly unique. The Storm King is the perfect example of this. In my opinion these "gimmick" battles made the more straight forward boss fights stand out that much more. Dark Souls tried to recapture this concept with the Bed of Chaos, but the less said about that fight the better.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing that first Quick Look for Demon's Souls back in 2009, and instantly bemoaning the fact that I didn't have a PS3, and I wasn't really in a position to buy one considering I already had a 360, Wii and a PC. 6 years later and I still haven't played it; after playing probably 400 hours of Dark Souls and a decent 100 hours of DSII I would probably consider Dark Souls one of my favourite games, if not my favourite game, of all time. I totally appreciate all the love people have for the first game, and what it did for the games that followed it, but I really can't imagine enjoying it anywhere near as much as Dark Souls. I watched the entire Breaking Brad run, and I don't know if it's just my preconceptions of what a "souls" game should look and feel like, or maybe just some muddiness from compressed internet video, but I thought that the much more linear-seeming level/hub-world design seemed like it added a whole level of "videogamey-ness" to the world that broke the fourth wall a little bit. I also much prefer the enemy and world design in Dark Souls for the most part too, I assume it's probably my preconceptions again, but Demon's Souls just felt a lot "uglier", but not intentionally, just in a slightly more cramped-amateurish-kind-of-way. It just looks like an old-ass relatively-low-budget videogame, but I suppose that's what it is. Either way, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, even if only because I'm a fiend for that style of combat.

I'd think it's probably the same as Mario Kart, where your first Souls is usually your favourite Souls. But maybe I'm just a plebeian who doesn't know what he's talking about, and when I eventually do play Demon's Souls for myself I'll see the light. Most likely all the suspense would have been ruined though, considering I've already watched the entire game through Brad's eyes.

I'm still considering buying a PS3, just for Demon's Souls, and maybe Journey and the Team ICO HD collection, even though I own a PS4... Because of the massive cult following, I'm kind of holding out hoping for an "HD" re-release for the PS4 in a few years if Bloodborne is a decent success.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I played most of it last summer and it didn't do a lot for me other than feeling like "proto-Dark Souls". I am fully aware that is my bad and I likely ruined it for myself, either by exhausting myself with Dark Souls 2 or playing as a broken magic character, but I totally didn't finish it. I should totally finish it.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've never beaten any of the dark souls game out of pure frustration. I did however beat Demon's Souls, granted it took me like several years to finally beat it... I think compared to other games in the series, I loved the atmosphere and tension in Demon's Souls more, but I think Dark Souls does a better job with exploration and content.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#55  Edited By Humanity

I'm mostly curious to see how Bloodborne will be influenced by Demon's Souls. Every time I've ever read interview snippets about the game they always reference Demon's instead of Dark Souls which makes me wonder if it's just coincidence or if it will really be heavily based on (inarguably) the best game in the series?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#56  Edited By alistercat

I finished it this year and it holds up really well. I still like the other games more.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Carlos1408

@pr1mus said:

It's got better atmosphere and a much better soundtrack than Dark Souls.

Individually some areas are incredible and beat anything in Dark Souls but i prefer Dark Souls' world as a whole and it's structure.

I much prefer the way magic works in Demon's Souls but the choices of spells is more limited as is the choice of gear.

World tendency can go fuck itself HARD.

All in all both games have their strengths and weaknesses. I still like Dark Souls the best but Demon's Souls is something special.

Both shit all over Dark Souls II.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, particularly when it comes to the soundtrack. It's one of my favorite if not favorite videogame soundtrack of all time. Shunsuke Kida is the real deal!

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game became broken when I got the dragon bone smasher. Especially after upgrading it. I could just steamroll through everything. Including bosses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.