Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Lone Knight's Journey Begins (Advice Wanted)

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Giving this another go. I had another account and I remember getting stuck on the flame lurker as a soldier. I had some of the best armor, yet that thing took me out in about 2-3 hits. Unbelievable. Starting off again as a knight because of that sick ass fluted armor. Any tips? Can anyone recommend a leveling path, like, what level in each different stat should I be before taking on certain worlds (e.g. 2-1. 2-2, etc..)  

Sick Ass Fluted Armor 
    Sick Ass Fluted Armor 
    evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By evilhomer

LOL Im doing the exact same thing.  Played about a year ago but got stuck on the Flamelurker and put the game down but am giving it another go starting just this weekend.

Im playing my same character (Wanderer) but instead of tackling FlameLurker again Im pacing myself through world 4 Shrine of Storms.

So I think I have 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 completed and now going for 4-1 at lvl 32 but I was lvl 26 when starting up again and havent had too much trouble, just going slow.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

Use ranged attacks on the Flamelurker. Soul arrows work well. Just keep dodging (make sure your equipment is light enough that you can roll properly) and firing. 

That's it, really. You don't need any special leveling paths or anything like that.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By bushpusherr

I've always played as melee heavy characters, and the flame lurker is a bitch to fight that way.  It's kind of cheezy, but I've always taken him out by using an upgraded spear.  I used a purple flame shield, fire resistance band, and the spear... unequipped all other armor for speed and dodging.  I would use the pillars to keep distance between us, and when he landed from a big attack (pressed up against the other side of the pillar) i would stab him with the spear through the safety of the pillar (it clips through it a bit since it has such a long range.) 

I usually used the red-eye knight to level really early on.  Not the most productive, I'm sure, but always worked for me

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Put all your points into Strength and only use heavy swords.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

The path I took is pretty straight forward.   1-1 1-2   ->   2-1  2-2 2-3 2-4(dragon god) ->  3-1 3-2 3-3(old monk) ->  1-3 1-4 ( which i'm currently on right now, i'm about soul level 54)   I killed 4-1 boss somewhere in between because he was easy.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It varies from play styles to play styles but I found sticking to light armour is the best since it allows quick rolls which is worth practising since it doesn't make much of a difference with stronger armour anyway. But that's just how I play the game.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @Icemael said:
    Use ranged attacks on the Flamelurker. Soul arrows work well. Just keep dodging (make sure your equipment is light enough that you can roll properly) and firing. That's it, really. You don't need any special leveling paths or anything like that.
    Or jump behind the big bone to the left of the door.
    fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fini_fly

I found that the light armor sets were easier to use in general. Dodging worked best for me. As for Flamelurker, ranged attacks and magical attacks, and patience. Best of luck to you.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilhomer

Some nice responses for the Flamelurker, thanks guys! 

Still going to wait to take him out though, he scares me >.>

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @H2Oyea: Honestly, level and armor doesn't mean a whole lot, at least not in relation to skill. Once you get a feel for things, you won't need a whole lot of armor at all. There's a million different ways to go about leveling a character, so I'll just give you some general tips.

Like I said: armor isn't nearly as helpful as  leveling up and good ol' health. Put a good 10 points into vitality to start with. You don't need much more than that, and I personally don't ever put anything into vitality. Each time you level any stat, your defense goes up, and that's going to be the biggest factor in determining how much damage you can take. And again, don't wear so much armor that your guy goes into 'slow' mode. One of the best tactics in the game is out-maneuvering your enemies, and that's extremely difficult when you can barely move. Maybe put a few points into endurance if you really wanna wear something unhindered, but that's all you should really need (unless you wanna don the heaviest armor in the game. Again, useless).

Flamelurker is the hardest boss in the game. Some people claim another is, but at a player's peak skill, it is still damn-near impossible to determine what attacks Flamelurker is going to use. He's the only completely unpredictable enemy, and like you said: his punches are pretty damn strong. It's best to avoid him entirely until you've leveled up. The Flamelurker page itself has some tricks you can try that I posted, including how to go at him melee and with spells/arrows/crossbows. I strongly recommend ranged attacks for him, even if your character isn't specced that way. Just make sure you load up with ~150 arrows or more. 

If I were you, I'd skip Flamelurker for the time being. Kill the Tower Knight instead, if you haven't yet. If you have, move on to the Tower of Latria and kill the first boss. You can try for the second boss, but that's the guy that a lot of people think is the other "hardest boss in the game." You can then move on to the Shrine of Storms, but I'd highly recommend only going as far as the first boss, as this world has one of the most difficult middle sections. After that, you should be ready to face FlameLurker.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kingzetta
    @evilhomer said:
    Some nice responses for the Flamelurker, thanks guys!   Still going to wait to take him out though, he scares me >.>
    You can beat the flamelurker in 2 minutes without getting hit, if you hide behind the big bone to the left of the door.
    Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Nasar7

My character was a pure melee tank knight with some support spells/miracles and I just went toe to toe with that motherfucker. It was such an epic battle. Purple Flame Shield is a must (for a melee character), besides that armor makes no difference. Roll, Roll, Roll.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By evilhomer
    @kingzetta said:
    @evilhomer said:
    Some nice responses for the Flamelurker, thanks guys!   Still going to wait to take him out though, he scares me >.>
    You can beat the flamelurker in 2 minutes without getting hit, if you hide behind the big bone to the left of the door.
    A reason I havent is that I had the short-cut memorized back when i was playing it originally (down the chasm) but that was a year ago so I figured I would prefer doing something different first instead of learning that part again.  I will go after him after I beat 4-1 but I kinda like fighting Flamelurker straight up instead of cheesing him =P
    evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evilhomer

Yay just beat Adjucator =]

He was kinda easy though lol, killed me once with his tongue before I got off the top floor than the next time I destroyed him.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @evilhomer said:
    @kingzetta said:
    @evilhomer said:
    A reason I havent is that I had the short-cut memorized back when i was playing it originally (down the chasm) but that was a year ago so I figured I would prefer doing something different first instead of learning that part again.  I will go after him after I beat 4-1 but I kinda like fighting Flamelurker straight up instead of cheesing him =P
    Bah if demon's souls teaches you anything, it's take whatever chance you can to win.
    evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evilhomer
    @kingzetta: LOL I probably will if he ends up killing me the first couple times...but now I got to remember how to get down that big hole first.  Dont want to waste my shiny new body jumping to my own death =P
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @evilhomer said:
    @kingzetta: LOL I probably will if he ends up killing me the first couple times...but now I got to remember how to get down that big hole first.  Dont want to waste my shiny new body jumping to my own death =P
    you go to the right and then stagger your falls down that way.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Spoonman671

I recommend studying the wiki for a bit, deciding how you want to play, and then just go for it.  A lot of people feel like they need to come to others to figure out the right way to play, but there really isn't a right, or best, way to play Demon's Souls.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Aegon
    @FunExplosions:  

Hmm...Alright, I guess I can try out some of these tactics. Maybe I can play on both accounts as my soldier and knight and see along the way which works out better. And yes I did beat the tower knight and armored spider, so I thought naturally I'd go to 2-2. 
    evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilhomer

Well that was awesome I beat Flamelurker on my very first try XD  

I didnt have the purple flame shield before so I had to go get that than level up strength so I could use it, ended up lvl 41 when I beat him (Didnt take long to level in 4-1).  Did it all straight up face-to-face and was locked onto him the entire fight.  Dodged away from his attacks than mashed him with my spear, rolled away to recover stamina and health (went though about 12 Full Moon Grass during the fight) than back to more dodging and attacking.

Im seriously stoked about how that went down, couldnt have been better and was a ton of fun to fight him like that and win  =]

r2khimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By r2khimself
    @H2Oyea: I actually just beat the Flamelurker today. I two-handed my axe and put some sticky white shit on it and rolled around until he attacked with his big AOE flame attack. Then, I just ran in, took about 3 swipes at him and just repeated the process until he fell. I found it best to stay in front of him, though. He tends to jump back quite a bit. 

Just wait until you face the archdemon of that world. God, I've never been so freaking nervous in my entire life.
    evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By evilhomer
    @r2khimself said:
    @H2Oyea: I actually just beat the Flamelurker today. I two-handed my axe and put some sticky white shit on it and rolled around until he attacked with his big AOE flame attack. Then, I just ran in, took about 3 swipes at him and just repeated the process until he fell. I found it best to stay in front of him, though. He tends to jump back quite a bit.  Just wait until you face the archdemon of that world. God, I've never been so freaking nervous in my entire life.
    Thats how I felt.  Much better to keep flamelurker in front of me and take him out that way!  
    Very fun fight that can be very frustrating as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.