Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

S-Rank just.....out of reach.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

This is not intended to be bragging, but I S-Ranked Dark Souls on all 3 platforms recently. I had never played Demon's Souls until very recently.

Anyway, I am literally 1 trophy from my platinum...I need a pure bladestone. Lord almighty I cannot seem to find one. What the hell s going on? This must be one of the worst probability drops in history. Anyone have any advice on getting one of these damn things???

Absolutely outstanding game too. I can really see the core of what Dark Souls became.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not really sure how one would "S-rank" these games.

sixnahalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm still checking on how to rank the games on all 3 platforms. :( the game dark soul is one of the greatest game i played as of now but still can't rank it as S-rank eventhough it is the best one.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By roland_d11

The best way to get pure bladestone is from the black dual katana skeleton behind the fake wall at the beginning of 4-2. You should put your world in pure black tendency and farm away. It took me only about 250 tries to do it, so good luck :-) . I also got it on a Blueblood build with high luck using Sword of Searching to increase my luck even further.

You can watch AGermanSpy's video to see the exact location:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NROdzCeIsoQ

It is at the 24:15 mark.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pure bladestone...Oh god.. I'm having flashbacks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b463a5162604
    deactivated-5b463a5162604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i've got one, if you want to knock it out i can drop it for you.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By HH

yeh i killed that guy about a million times looking for one, actually it was probably about 30 times, but whatever it was it was my limit, never did get that +5 Sharp Kilij, but it's a bit twisted that they've linked an achievement to it.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hh: Seems like classic From Software to me. They really like to troll their players from time to time :-) .

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha I was thinking to myself "I bet it's that fucking Bladestone." when I clicked on the topic. Yeah, that thing sucks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Heathens.. the real challenge is catching those geckos! That's the REAL Souls experience any real fan would know this. Screw the games.. just gimme the geckos that spawn a finite amount of times per playthrough.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: You got to catch them all ;-) . But even if you do, you won't get any pure bladestone.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I'm not really sure how one would "S-rank" these games.

Sorry, I mean "get all of the achievements" in Dark Souls. I did it on 360, PC, then bought a PS3 and got all of them on it as well. I made a thread about it with a picture on the Dark Souls forum here at GB.Now, I am so damn close for Demon's Souls too...

The best way to get pure bladestone is from the black dual katana skeleton behind the fake wall at the beginning of 4-2. You should put your world in pure black tendency and farm away. It took me only about 250 tries to do it, so good luck :-) . I also got it on a Blueblood build with high luck using Sword of Searching to increase my luck even further.

You can watch AGermanSpy's video to see the exact location:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NROdzCeIsoQ

It is at the 24:15 mark.

sigh...yep. It's Pure Black and I have the appropriate gear. Are you sure the Large Sword of Searching has anything to do with it? I think it just effects drop rate, not the "quality" of the item. And someone told me that the luck stat also has no effect, again, just drop rate, not the quality of the dropped item?

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roland_d11

@inv2 said:

sigh...yep. It's Pure Black and I have the appropriate gear. Are you sure the Large Sword of Searching has anything to do with it? I think it just effects drop rate, not the "quality" of the item. And someone told me that the luck stat also has no effect, again, just drop rate, not the quality of the dropped item?

That is a good question, I never thought about it that way. I had the sword and the high luck stat so I used it in my off hand while fighting the skeleton. I looked it the luck stat up on the wiki and you are correct:

'Does not increase the quality of item drops, but rather how often enemies will drop items.'

But since the skeleton sometimes only dropped soul remains for me it might help a little.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sixnahalf said:

Hmmm still checking on how to rank the games on all 3 platforms. :( the game dark soul is one of the greatest game i played as of now but still can't rank it as S-rank eventhough it is the best one.

Having acquired all the achievements on all three platforms I would say the PC is the absolute hands down best, followed by the 360 and the PS3 last. I obviously love these games, having invested, umm, literally hundreds of hours into them. It's all about character build strategy, skill refinement and learning patterns of the enemies which is even more essential on NG+++s.

And, yeah, they are sicko masochists...this pure bladestone, just gross, I really wish a lizard would drop one, 4 chances and that's it, screw it up and let one escape or whatever---that's on you. I could live with that....but this seemingly limitless skeleton slaying is ridiculous...I am closing in on a million souls, all from this dual wielding katana skeleton. :-(

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By development

@inv2: Hah. That's what made me give up. I farmed for Pure Bladestone for six hours straight and never got it. Fuck. That.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By Timing
    @inv2 said:

You're right. Neither Luck nor the LSoS should affect the probability of the Pure Bladestone dropping. Being in Pure Black World Tendency is the best and only thing you can do. So just keep trying. I managed to do it twice (eventually).

Also I'm curious as to why you think the PS3 version of Dark Souls is the worst one.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By INV2

In terms of raw game stuff, on the 360 the camera is a little smoother, framerate drops are less on the 360. And, a personal note, the PS3 controller is an inferior controller. That isn't the game's fault, Sony just makes shitty controllers. Also, not starting a fanboy war, this is just my opinion, Sony and Microsoft are both mega-giant companies and I have nothing to gain by shitting on Sony, I just think the controller is cheap and at times awkward and flimsy, the sticks "stick" and don't feel "right" when you push them in, again, just my opinion.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Having never played either game and knowing nothing about them, this thread is super confusing and kinda fascinating. Should I play Demon's souls or go straight to dark souls?

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played both pretty exclusively for the past year, Dark Souls is the more "refined" successor, or sequel of sorts. They are entirely different, but share so many assets and mechanics that they may as well be. Some of the bosses in Demon's Souls are super cool, especially The Adjudicator, which is probably my favorite boss between the two games. They are both really challenging games, it's hard for me to say which is more difficult, since I played so much Dark Souls that I have acquired so much experience that Demon's Souls was a cakewalk really...um, the Maneater being the exception (really nasty boss(es)). Also, some of the Black Phantoms are raunchy, Salen comes to mind (you fight her in a swamp and cannot move, AND she casts anti-magic shield, AND she has a weapon that goes right through shields). Ummm, Demon's Souls also just explains a lot of stuff to death, which again, maybe I am just more accustomed to Dark Souls definitive lack of explanation that makes it more a mysterious and perilous world. The Nexus is so "hub-world-gamey" that it makes for an awkward experience. Also, in the beginning World and Character Tendency make no sense AT ALL, and it takes a good playthrough to really "understand" what's happening and how you can manipulate things...if you are an achievement seeker, Demon Souls sorta feels unfair and arbitrary...I go through a lot of hard work and challenge to get all the achievements...except for one, which is entirely dependent on random luck...awesome.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By HH

i prefer demon's souls, i found the five-worlds-around-the-hub set-up neater aesthetically, despite loving the connectivity of the map in dark souls initially, it kinda sprawled out of control and wore me down a bit by the end. also demon's souls has my favorite level of all time - the tower of latria - an achievement in grimness and oppression.

but whichever you prefer, both are great games in their own right, and I'd say demon's does not at all suffer from the shortcomings that a lesser-known first-in-the-series might be suspected of.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By INV2

@hh said:

i prefer demon's souls, i found the five-worlds-around-the-hub set-up neater aesthetically, despite loving the connectivity of the map in dark souls initially, it kinda sprawled out of control and wore me down a bit by the end. also demon's souls has my favorite level of all time - the tower of latria - an achievement in grimness and oppression.

but whichever you prefer, both are great games in their own right, and I'd say demon's does not at all suffer from the design drawbacks that a lesser-known first-in-the-series might be suspected of.

I agree with you, it is not "inferior" in any way. I would add that I really liked The Valley of Defilement, minus the slow crawl through swamp thing (clearly this is why the Rusted Ring was made). Especially the climax at the end of 5-4...the music, the dialogue, voice acting and unusual battle situation, just heart wrenching stuff.

"Go forth Garl Vinland, and may you be unharmed---"
    beautiful stuff.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got lucky. The first time I played through Demon's Souls, the servers were due to be shut down in a couple of months. From Software set the world tendencies to pure white for a month, then pure black for another. Made doing everything easy. Then the servers never shut down.

I just beat Seath for the first time ever in Dark Souls literally five minutes ago. He was a cakewalk compared to just getting to him. I was enjoying Dark Souls more than Demon's, but I also kind of feel like it's going on a bit longer than I'd like it to. Also too many cheap falling deaths. Every goddamn area in the game from Sen's Fortress onwards has tiny walkways hovering over certain death. I don't remember Demon's Souls relying quite so much on precarious footing to make the game difficult.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By INV2

Did it...twice, US and Japanese. What a grueling weekend.

BIGGG props to csx009, who helped with a pure bladestone for my US Platinum...sadly, since the games are on separate servers, I don't know anyone for help with it...so...I had to farm those skeleons for a very, VERY long time. Then the drama didn't end when I did NOT GET A SINGLE pure moonstone out of those 8 lizards, so I had to NG++ it to get the Moonlighter's Trophy, how ironic....got a pure moonlightstone on my first try in my US run.

No Caption Provided

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@inv2: You are mad! Mad I say! No really, amazing job :)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@inv2: Awesome! Great job! =)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.