Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Why is this game so highly praised?

jonostarsmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jonostarsmore

I'm not trolling or anything, I'm honestly curious. Most of the reviews I've read place an emphasis on the old school difficulty aspect, but I haven't read anything truly exciting for me to try it out. Can someone explain a bit?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By eroticfishcake

Atmosphere. Clever game mechanics. Feel-good moments. Great boss fights. Nothing really sticks out since it's a great game as a whole rather then the individual aspects of it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

Multiplayer is pretty awesome and distinguishable as well as the overall atmosphere and feel of the game. It also has pretty unique characteristics, and yeah, it does feel old school (maybe because of tis difficulty), which is awesome.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Novyx

It's a From game, which usually means people either will love it or hate it. It seems that it got more love from reviewers this time.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @jonostarsmore said:

" I'm not trolling or anything, I'm honestly curious. Most of the reviews I've read place an emphasis on the old school difficulty aspect, but I haven't read anything truly exciting for me to try it out. Can someone explain a bit? "

The guy is wearing Gothic plate armour circa 1480 which is the main reason why this game seems AWESOME. :D  EDIT: Or is it Maximillian armour?  Damn it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

You mean the praise you're talking about doesn't explain why it exists on its own? It just goes all "PRAISE DEMON's SOULS" and leaves it at that? Meh, I'll never get these "why so and so" threads...

It's a dungeon crawler with some clever online features, beautiful visuals, deep mechanics and hard as nails. If you like dungeon crawlers, play it, if not, then no amount of praise should move you. It's simple really.

jonostarsmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jonostarsmore

cool thanks for the (for the most part) friendly answers :-)

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Ubiquitous

I thought it looked pretty intriguing, unfortunatly it's not on PC so i wont get to play it. Maybe if enough PS3 exclusives interest me I'll start looking for a deal on one.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HypoXenophobia
    @Ubiquitous:
    Why not get it through dell, I believe if you buy one from them you can pay it off monthly like you would one of their computers. 300/18 = monthly pay. I'm just guessing here tho.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422
    @Novyx said:
    " It's a From game, which usually means people either will love it or hate it. It seems that it got more love from reviewers this time. "
    Huh, in my experience as of late, no one likes any of their games and they are just god awful. Im still amazed this came from them, since its been so long since they made a good game.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Your experience  is that nobody likes any of their games? Pretty sure they've created loved franchises (at least until some fuck up in later parts) like Armored Core, King's Field, Tenchu, Otogi, and others...

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stang
    @Al3xand3r: People actually enjoyed the King's Field series? I remember getting the first one as a kid on the good ole psx.....that game was just horrible. IN MY OPINION.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss

I don't think it's necessarily that it's highly praised, just that people can appreciate the potential appeal of extreme difficulty, like the stuff Demon's Souls presents you with. I know I can't wait to play it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

People seem to like it because it is sadistic but in a non-cheap way (Kind of like Ninja Gaiden in that respect). In addition, it looks really nice and has a unique multiplayer aspect to it. 

If this wasn't a PS3 exclusive, I would pick it up for sure. I enjoy sadism.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By damswedon

i think the quick look shows that this game should of died of a long time ago. also the soul stuff is realy retarded.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Stang said:
    " @Al3xand3r: People actually enjoyed the King's Field series? I remember getting the first one as a kid on the good ole psx.....that game was just horrible. IN MY OPINION. "
    It's ok, you were only a kid.
    Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo
    @damswedon said:
    "i think the quick look shows that this game should of died of a long time ago. also the soul stuff is realy retarded. "

Far from it. The Giant Bomb crew, in the quick look, are only at the very beginning of the game. Once one spends more time with the game, the mechanics became far more responsive. I started out with the hardest class to use; Barbarian. Had absolutely no armour and every boss would just skewer me in one shot. Incorporated basic dodge mechanics and messing around with alot of other things and found the game to be very easy. I mean, the best strategy one can use is actually to *not* lock on to enemies. Free running makes it incredibly easy to dodge everything coming at you. Now, at level 52 with the sword from Silent Hill 2, I can cleave off a quarter of a boss's health in one wide swing.  Losing your souls isn't all that big of a deal later on in the game. One may gain about 100K souls in a few minutes. I rarely run back to retrieve my souls anymore, or atleast don't make it a priority.

I'm glad to see Demon's Souls returning to form. I've hated this gradual shift in games towards casual mechanics which would give you a pat on the butt whenever you jumped head first in a group pile of enemies. The game requires pacing, intelligence, and the ability to adapt to your environment.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Diamond

It's innovative, challenging, rewarding, and interesting.  It's a breath of fresh air in the modern games industry.  It's not perfect, and there are ways I can personally think of making it better, but most of those would involve the game being 10 times as long.

Avatar image for deactivated-583dca8fbfb66
    deactivated-583dca8fbfb66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game, but I find the high praise given from so many outlets to be highly unexpected. Don;t get me wrong, it's a good game, but it needs more polish and more content. 

A few misconceptions from the quick look: 

- You CAN regenerate MP, you just need to find a special ring. You can start with that ring if you choose the Royalty class. 
    - Combat it's slightly different from each weapon and there's a move set and benefits for each weapon class. For example, thrust weapons can be used while having your shield up. 
    - It's very important to keep your health 100% full at all times :). 
    - Combat depends on stamina levels ( that green bar). That's not mentioned in the QL, understandably so. It's not just cutting dudes.  
    - Losing souls it's not that much of a big deal. There's even item souls that can be used to add to your stock later, even if you fail. ( do so in the nexus, losing those would be silly :) )....I lost 14.000 souls this morning. I've lost over 60.000 while playing the chinese version....You'll eventually find ways to quickly gain souls later.
     - You can create shortcuts in every stage in case you die far from the start or at the boss. That's the way you make progress trough the stages. 

It is a quick look tho, so I'm not saying all this to say anything against the GB crew. It's just that people are a bit to eager to say that it sucks, even if they haven't played it....Maybe it's because of the hype?, the game is a bit overhyped tho, i'll give them that :).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

A lot of people started fellating this game back when it looked like it wasn't going to be localized and the momentum built up from there.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By animateria
    @Pipiporapa said:
    " Maybe it's because of the hype?, the game is a bit overhyped tho, i'll give them that :). "
    I'm actually surprised by the high review scores. This game didn't have any hype or attention before the reviews started to trickle out.

I think it just surprised reviewers, because it came out of nowhere.

But this game will probably not fare well in retail sadly.  It has zero hype among the general gaming public.
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fbomb
    @animateria said:
    " @Pipiporapa said:
    " Maybe it's because of the hype?, the game is a bit overhyped tho, i'll give them that :). "
    I'm actually surprised by the high review scores. This game didn't have any hype or attention before the reviews started to trickle out.  I think it just surprised reviewers, because it came out of nowhere.  But this game will probably not fare well in retail sadly.  It has zero hype among the general gaming public. "
    I was thinking the same. It's not over-hyped, not even hyped. It came out and reviewed well, and is gaining a cult following. Much different than mainstream hype that we all know and love. When I think of hype for a game, I think Halo as the poster child... while not many games (if any) could be held to such lofty hype machine heights (not a negative), Demon's Souls doesn't even scratch the surface. I also don't think there's such thing as over-hype, unless something completely lacks substance. This game definately doesn't lack substance... just mainstream appeal.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By trophyhunter
    @jonostarsmore said:
    " I'm not trolling or anything, I'm honestly curious. Most of the reviews I've read place an emphasis on the old school difficulty aspect, but I haven't read anything truly exciting for me to try it out. Can someone explain a bit? "
    is a dream game to the people that are into this kind of game 
    its just not your kind of game oh well
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By jkz
    @Fbomb said:
    " @animateria said:
    " @Pipiporapa said:
    I'm actually surprised by the high review scores. This game didn't have any hype or attention before the reviews started to trickle out.  I think it just surprised reviewers, because it came out of nowhere.  But this game will probably not fare well in retail sadly.  It has zero hype among the general gaming public. "
    I was thinking the same. It's not over-hyped, not even hyped. It came out and reviewed well, and is gaining a cult following. Much different than mainstream hype that we all know and love. When I think of hype for a game, I think Halo as the poster child... while not many games (if any) could be held to such lofty hype machine heights (not a negative), Demon's Souls doesn't even scratch the surface. I also don't think there's such thing as over-hype, unless something completely lacks substance. This game definately doesn't lack substance... just mainstream appeal. "
    Hype = Hyperbole = gross exaggeration. There is no such thing as over-hyped, or under-hyped, it's either hyped or it's not.

/end grammar nazi rant
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eclipsesis

I like the game a lot but it can be cheap at times, how cheap? i hear you say. Well imagine you have just paid a prostitute to give you a blow job, you walk into the ally, your pants come down. Bam! shes running away with your money and you can't follow because your pants are down, bad times. Yeah thats how cheap it can be.   

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By Yummylee

I'll let yah know, when its released in the UK :'(
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By Icemael

From what I've seen, this game isn't for me. I have no problem with difficulty, if it's done in an enjoyable way(Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is a prime example). Getting pushed back to the beginning of the level every time I die is not enjoyable. In fact, it doesn't even make the game harder. The enemies I have to refight are the same I fought last time, so all it does is make the game more time-consuming by forcing me to repeat everything, even the stuff I didn't have any problem with. Taking my time just for the sake of taking my time does not make me happy. It pisses me off. 

Then there's the fact that the combat looks dull. Incredibly dull. So basically, this is a game that's dull and frustrating at the same time. That's not a very good combination. 

But whatever, if you people like dullness and frustration, more power to you. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Avatar image for deactivated-583dca8fbfb66
    deactivated-583dca8fbfb66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael:  
      The hard part of having to start over a level comes with the fact that all the points you collected were dropped in the way over there. You're heart rate becomes higher because there's something at stake. Dying becomes more important than just trial and error, specially when presented with a boss fight that will make you start over as well :). However, you can create shortcuts in that one level as you progress and all the items collected in the way are still there. 
      The shortcuts are usually just opening gates, unlocking doors by finding the right keys, lifting bridges, etc. You can go up to the boss fight, loose and then start "from the beginning", but the environment was already changed so you can go right back to the boss fight. 

It's not made to be more difficult, it just tries to place dying in the context of the game. The fact that most people don't understand this right away it's what perceived as difficult. In the context of other games, dying it's just as common, but it's not perceived as such because of checkpoint system that still make you do that scene all over again. In the end both have almost the same result, but the one in demon's souls doesn't take you away from the world because it placed you in the rules created for it. 

As for the combat system, there's 4 buttons for combat actions. L1 and L2 are for the left arm .R1 and R2 for the right hand. 
         The right hand it's the main weapon's hand, it allows you to do a simple attack that can usually combo in 3 moves ( more depending on your stamina) with R1 and a strong attack with R2.  
       Other moves with the right hand include direction+light attack, back step( circle)+light attack, roll (circle+direction)+light attack and run+light attack. Strong attacks are less flexible for a reason. 

The left hand it's the secondary weapon or shield hand. It allows you a single strike/ parry with a weapon or guard/ parry with a shield. Dual wielding means you loose you're ability to cover, but you can still parry. To parry you have to press the button just as the hit connects to your character. 

By pressing triangle you change to two handed mode. There you have a different set of moves and a damage bonus. You can cover with your weapon, but each weapon as a different percentage of damage absorption. Weapons in general have a 30% or 50%, so you'll still take a lot of damage in that mode. 
     In addition to that, there's a stamina bar. Each attack you make consumes this bar to stop you from spamming attacks. Guarding and dodging share the same action bar as attacking, which means that each hit you take while guarding will deplete your bar.  Therefore, having your bar depleted means 3 things, you can't attack, you can dodge and your guard will brake as you as you get hit, leaving you staggered for a few seconds. 
     However this bar recharges up in a matter of seconds, so it's not usually a problem unless you are guarding, then it will slowly recharge.  

Now each weapon type has a different sets of  normal moves as well as special ones. To name a few "types", there's knifes/rapiers/lance, swords/clubs, polearms, asian swords and some great blades.  

-Knife/rapier/lance types are narrow enough that you  won't be able to hit more than one guy unless there's one directly behind him. However you can attack while your shield guard it's up. Doing the direction+light attack move makes you take a back step attack. The biggest downside of this type of weapons it's that you might get staggered if you try and hit a guarding opponent.  

-Swords and clubs have some wide strikes that allow you to hit multiple opponents. You can't attack while guarding and the special direction+light attack its' basically a hilt strike that will brake your opponents guard. 

-Asian swords have a faster parry move and do a similar back-step move. The katanas, tho in the same category, have a special set of two handed moves.  

I haven't used the other ones much though. I didn't builded my characters so they could use heavier equipment, but I assure you that's different as well.  

To add to all that there's different types of damage: cut, raw physical, stab and smash. This react to the kind of "thing" that you might be hitting . Trying to cut a skeleton it's a bit less effective than smashing it with a club. 

Saying that something "looks" like it is something doesn't make it a fact. That's just bad inductive reasoning...While perfectly reasonable to fall into that trap, I just don't appreciate the tone you use to label "us people"

apoloimagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By apoloimagod
    @jonostarsmore: Where to start? I simply love this game. Great atmosphere, great combat mechanics. The inventory system is a bit flaky, but it works fine once you learn all of its nuances. And, yes... it is difficult. Actually, I wouldn't say that it's harder than many games out there when it comes to the game mechanics... the thing is that it is very unforgiving. While other games will kill you, but then place you in a close by check point... or maybe reload a latest save file, Demon's Souls will punish you, and tell you how worthless you are in your face. Not only will it send you to the beginning of the level. If you had corporeal form (that is, you had a body, you were alive) it will take it away from you, leaving as a plain soul, and take half your HP with it. It will also take all the souls you may have collected (which is the currency in the game), even the ones you had before you started the level (if any, which is why it's a good idea to use up all your souls in the Nexus before you start a new level).

Basically, after you die, it will send you to the beginning, punish your lack of skill, and make it even harder the second time around :-) But I think that's what I find appealing. It sort of feels like the game has a personality. But I think what it's even greater about this game is the networking aspect. It's been explained elsewhere, but basically you are playing the game concurrently with all the other players. Their actions influence your world (tendency), they can jump in and help you, or come in to kill you. It just gives the game a whole new very interesting twist, which makes it just an unique experience.

If you're not convinced by what I've decribed above... then this is not a game for you :-) 

-- AI
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yyZiggurat

This has been said before, this isn't a game for everyone.  I personally don't find losing all your souls when you die that frustrating since they're easily replaced.  There a lot of ways to prevent that from ever happening by being really cautious, reading all the messages, touching all the bloodstains to clue you in on what's waiting for you around a dark corner, and learning powerful defense buffs or 1 time auto-revive spells.  Its very a technical game with things like combat; breaking a foe's guard, wielding a large and powerful sword/axe that leaves you wipe open after attacking, or how your character can dodge faster with lighter armor.  If a dark fantasy  RPG with loot hunting, great atmosphere, and bosses that make you feel like you can take down anything when you're standing over their lifeless corpse (think Shadow of the Colossus) sounds interesting to you, then give Demon's Souls a shot. 

@Abyssfull 

said: 

" I'll let yah know, when its released in the UK :'( "

You can import it like people in PAL and NA regions have been doing since its original Asian release (with full English menus and dialogue) in February.
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fbomb
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @Fbomb said:
    " @animateria said:
    " @Pipiporapa said:
    I was thinking the same. It's not over-hyped, not even hyped. It came out and reviewed well, and is gaining a cult following. Much different than mainstream hype that we all know and love. When I think of hype for a game, I think Halo as the poster child... while not many games (if any) could be held to such lofty hype machine heights (not a negative), Demon's Souls doesn't even scratch the surface. I also don't think there's such thing as over-hype, unless something completely lacks substance. This game definately doesn't lack substance... just mainstream appeal. "
    Hype = Hyperbole = gross exaggeration. There is no such thing as over-hyped, or under-hyped, it's either hyped or it's not.  /end grammar nazi rant "
    Huh, I've never really thought about the etymology of hype. That really changes how I might use the word in the future. That said, I've never liked the word to begin with, which may be due to being ignorant of its proper usage. Now I'll like it less because I do know. In this case, ignorance wasn't necessarily bliss, but it was definitely a milder state of dislike. :P
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By neoepoch
    @animateria said:
    "But this game will probably not fare well in retail sadly.  It has zero hype among the general gaming public. " 

Actually from what I heard it isn't doing too badly at retail. I went to my local gaming store and they said that they had actually sold out of all their copies. I was kind of shocked and so were they, because it seemed like the game that would ward off most people, but people have been asking about it.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jmrwacko

Too bad this game won't come out for PC.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karmann

I can't seem to figure it out myself, I think part of it must be machismo/dick measuring contest, 
     "This game is frustratingly hard, but I'm such a BADASS, HARDCORE GAMER that I think that's a GOOD thing!",  UGH!  

I think it looks pretty mediocre, but that's just my opinion. All I know is that Uncharted2 is getting MY 60 bucks!

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karmann
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " People seem to like it because it is sadistic but in a non-cheap way (Kind of like Ninja Gaiden in that respect). In addition, it looks really nice and has a unique multiplayer aspect to it.   If this wasn't a PS3 exclusive, I would pick it up for sure. I enjoy sadism. "
    ...I think you mean Masochistic. No wait, the people are masochistic, the game is sadistic, ok, forget it.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @Karmann said:
    " I can't seem to figure it out myself, I think part of it must be machismo/dick measuring contest,  "This game is frustratingly hard, but I'm such a BADASS, HARDCORE GAMER that I think that's a GOOD thing!",  UGH!   I think it looks pretty mediocre, but that's just my opinion. All I know is that Uncharted2 is getting MY 60 bucks! "
    Its not frustratingly hard at all.  Funny how the people who don't like this game keep saying that.  You just have to take your time with the levels and if you do die you don't sit there and cry about it, you figure out what you did wrong and try not to do that next time.  There's always 3 player co-op if you need help taking down a boss.
    Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karmann
    @HomemadeZiggurat:  

Yeah, I guess I can't know until I try it, but it definitely doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I usually play all my games on the easiest setting, so I can enjoy the story, graphics, etc. The only games where I like to CONCENTRATE are my racing sims, and maybe the odd fighting game. I play to relieve stress, not to produce it. 
     ...also medieval settings bore me to death. 
    ...also MetalGear is AWESOME!!!
    Slaveg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slaveg

For some reason I want to play this game so hard, fuck MGS, Infamous and Uncharted, I'd buy a PS3 only for Demon's Souls.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By unclejohnny79

read some of its reviews? they explain why

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Branthog

After a solid two hours of playing (and restarting entirely once), I haven't even beat my first boss yet so that I can get out of Nexus. I haven't even figured out what I'm supposed to be going off to attack, because the only thing I've found is the red-eyed demon that obliterates you. That said, I'm surprised that all the reviews were "this is old school tough and if you can take the punishment, you'll be thankful in the end". From what I'd seen in videos, I actually expected a game with a lot of atmosphere, but dated graphics and everything else. I figured the "it's hard and it's old school and it's not another damn emo JRPG experience!" thing was supposed to cover up dated graphics.

Boy, was I wrong. The game is beautiful. The music, the atmosphere, the graphics. Right down to something I haven't seen anyone mention yet, which is how sweet some of the fighting is. There's nothing like deflecting a blow only to retaliate with your own sweet looking death blow (which various depending on the position and angle you're delivering it from). It's incredibly frustrating, but these little touches I keep discovering (not to even mention the great multi-player-ish experience built-in to make it feel just a little big larger and like more of a community than it otherwise would) keep making me smile.

I don't know how far I'll ever get. Maybe I don't have the stones to beat it. We'll see. But I definitely would love to see more games like this and less "push button to win" games.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Crono

This is was my first boss fight, I hope it can shed some light on what gives this game praise:

The first boss you encounter is Phalanx and it is one hell of a boss fight if you don't know his weakness and are a frail magician.  I probably spent about 15 minutes fighting Phalanx and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time because I didn't want to lose my souls!  This is what makes the game so exhilarating.  The risk:reward factor.  I checked every message in the room Phalanx was in and none were helpful during my session.  It wasn't until about 10 minutes in that I learned that fire was his weakness.  I had been spending my mana killing off his numerous blobs (guards) trying to create an opening on him to attack.  I eventually ran out and I had to then do hit and runs on him because I could easily die in 3-4 hits and I was running out of recovery items.  I hid behind a pillar as him and his army slowly crept up to me.  I used turpentine, an item I had found earlier in the level, and applied it to my weapon.  This allowed my weapon to be coated in fire temporarily.  I proceeded to kill more blob guards and I followed up on Phalanx.  After peeking out from the columns and slashing away at his gelatinous ass for a few minutes, I had finally killed him and a huge wave of relief came over me.

This was the first boss of the game.   I looked forward to more.

It should be noted that all that came before this boss fight was equally as thrilling too.  The game just creates a really good sense of accomplishment simply for surviving because of the brutal "you die, you lose it all" rule (although you can recover lost souls if you return to where you died, and do not die again before you reach it).

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By C0V3RT

For me it's straight up the difficulty.  Over time, it feels as if games have sacrificed difficulty in order to make the game more digestable and fun.  I have no problem taking my lumps (ala my journey into SF IV online when it came out) nor supporting a product that isn't afraid to be different.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.