Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Denis Dyack

Person » credited in 13 games

Denis Dyack is the former president of Silicon Knights, former Chief Creative Officer of Precursor Games, and current Founder and CEO of Apocalypse Studios.

Does anyone else think Denis Dyack is a total moron?

jamesconsidine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jamesconsidine

topic?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

He's definantly not a moron

He's a bit drastic, but he brings up a lot of good points and isn't afraid to talk about controversy, which is rare in developers

and he's got a good track record also

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't hate the guy but he does some really stupid things

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turboman

He's definantly not a moron

He's a bit drastic, but he brings up a lot of good points and isn't afraid to talk about controversy, which is rare in developers

and he's got a good track record also

Avatar image for microwavedapple
    microwavedapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By microwavedapple

He talks a bit too much, but I guess that's part of his job considering he get interviews from lots of sites. Other than that he seems like an alright guy.

Cardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Cardon

He's not a complete moron but he does seem to be losing it as of late. I can understand being defensive about your project but when it doesn't stack up to other titles on the market and falls flat of the hype that you've been building up you should really give it a rest.

Instead he decides to battle people on Neogaf saying that he's trying to expose the "terrible pit" that are forums.  Dude, your game has been in development for a long time yet there are animation issues and the analog stick combat doesn't feel that tight.  Stop going on message boards reading what people are saying and try to polish your product.

I personally wanted to punch Dyack in the face after hearing him compare the terrible camera in Too Human to the Automatic Transmission.  Acorrding to him once people get used to it they'll love it and realize how revolutionary it is. WTF dude?

Pakorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pakorn
    TurboMan said:
    "He's definantly not a moron

and he's got a good track record also"
    I completely agree.

I like his drama. I think he uses his "celebrity" status as a platform to talk about things that not a lot of people talk about. His discussion on 1up yours a couple weeks ago about his NeoGAF post was an amazing diatribe about why we need to  be careful in this age of internet anonymity, since we don't know who we're hurting or what effect our discussions have on things. When you're an ass on the net simply to be an ass, without good reason, you can be damn sure it will have negative effects somewhere.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Schadenfreude

As others have said, it's definitely not a moron. He's very intelligent, he just doesn't appear to know how to act professional. If you're a public figure and plan on reading/posting on message boards, you need to learn to not take criticism personally.

jamesconsidine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jamesconsidine

I never had any problems with him but that rant he did on 1up yours a few weeks ago was just rediculous. His games are fine, but he just needs to chill the fuck out.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turboman

yeah, true...

but GiantBomb needs to choose good moderators that aren't completely morons as they do on NeoGaf

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterMollusk

I love the man. However, he really needs to hire a PR dude to consult before he does silly things.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Termite

He's not a moron, but he does dumb things sometimes.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wouldn't say he's a complete moron, but he does have moronish qualities.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I wouldn't say he's a complete moron, but he does have moronish qualities.

Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Teirdome

Nah, he's not a moron.  But his first bachelors is in Physical Education.

His lecture on 1Up Yours a couple weeks ago was pretty fascinating, but I don't believe that it is as dire as he makes it out to be.  We as humans will adapt before we implode, of that I am certain.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alex_V

Always seems like an interesting guy with an original point of view IMO.

I don't agree that if the early buzz on his new release is negative, he loses all right to have an opinion. His whole point is that a lot of the negative buzz on NeoGAF actually had absolutely nothing to do with the game at all, but was just personal vitriol thrown about by internet warriors who just get off on being rude to strangers. Let's not fall into that trap - be honest, none of us personally know Dyack so any heartfelt judgement on him or his intentions is bound to be a bit shallow and ill-judged.

It's almost as if having a guy be totally honest and a bit eccentric is a bad thing - I wish all developers were as interesting as he is.

spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spragels

He says some crazy things. I think he just gets upset when people make fun of him. When you put yourself out there I think you have to be able to take the abuse from the public.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18  Edited By jechtshot78

Only those who are jaded.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Alex_V
    spragels said:
    "He says some crazy things. I think he just gets upset when people make fun of him. When you put yourself out there I think you have to be able to take the abuse from the public. "
      Should an incredibly thick skin be a pre-requisite for creating games? I don't think so. I want to see people like Dyack encouraged, not criticised. I agree with you that it comes with the territory, but I don't see whose purpose that serves. Even if his game turns out to be useless, does he deserve personal abuse?
    Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dryker

He genuinely seems to be passionate about his project and that makes me interested. We all say stupid things sometimes, the fact that he has publicly shows he's speaking from the heart and not some tele-prompter. I'm definitely buying Too Human.

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MisterMollusk

Be nice if the above is fo realz. Anywho, back to the topic, Denis Dyack seems like one of the most human developers around and while I don't think it's good for his image doing what he did, I certainly can understand why he said what he said. Heck, I get mad too seeing the crap people post about his game ("oh i played the demo and then deleted it cauze it suxxored"), I can hardly imagine how it must feel taking that when its a project you've been trying to pull together for a decade.

KillerFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 33

#22  Edited By KillerFly
    Cardon said:
    "Acorrding to him once people get used to it they'll love it and realize how revolutionary it is. WTF dude?"
    I've definetly have gotten used to the right stick combat and like it a lot. After playing the game for a while, you realize it's about loot and abilities, not combat.
    Cardon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Cardon
    KillerFly said:
    "Cardon said:
    "Acorrding to him once people get used to it they'll love it and realize how revolutionary it is. WTF dude?"
    I've definetly have gotten used to the right stick combat and like it a lot. After playing the game for a while, you realize it's about loot and abilities, not combat.
    "

Well my comment about Dyack's comment was in reference to the camera system of Too Human and not the combat.  In my time with the demo I did in a way get used to using the right analog stick for combat but still found it slightly unfulling due to the animations and the somewhat less tactile feel when actually fighting the enemies.
    ringlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ringlord

Denis has an ego and likes to talk, a combination that can lead to problems and apparently gets under the skin of some people. Doesn't bother me in the least, so I certainly don't consider him a moron. All I care about are games, and his company seems to consistently make good games. Hopefully they keep it up.

comedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By comedy

Ever since he went on GAF and started calling out users, I started to think different of him. Then I heard him on 1up Yours and I lost most respect.

Hilit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hilit

I like him. I always wondered how developers felt about the whole alpha, beta process and showing games really early, and how they felt when the reaction to their unfinished work was poor.

It was great to see Denis come out and be willing to talk about that kind of stuff.

While I may not agree with everything he says I think he has a lot of interesting ideas about the industry in general and it's important to me that he is always willing to discuss his beliefs and has a public platform in which to do it.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By napalm
    Pakorn said:
    "TurboMan said:
    "He's definantly not a moron

and he's got a good track record also"
    I completely agree.

I like his drama. I think he uses his "celebrity" status as a platform to talk about things that not a lot of people talk about. His discussion on 1up yours a couple weeks ago about his NeoGAF post was an amazing diatribe about why we need to  be careful in this age of internet anonymity, since we don't know who we're hurting or what effect our discussions have on things. When you're an ass on the net simply to be an ass, without good reason, you can be damn sure it will have negative effects somewhere.

"
    I couldn't agree with you more. Nobody has really confronted the dangers of technological communications before, especially when pertaining to our industry. However, while I don't think bringing it up on NeoGAF was the greatest idea, there really isn't a much better place for him to do so. It's not like you can put something like that in a press release and not sound batshit crazy. The only way to do it, however counterproductive, is to attack those people head-on, full force and just get out into the open.

NeoGAF sucks anyway.
    DerBonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DerBonk

I think that Denis is actually a very cool dude and I don't really get most of the ridicule he's getting, especially since a lot of it is VERY personal. It's freakin' PR-talk, that' how it is, it will always be there and I thin kwe should jsut ignore that part. His explanation on 1Up Yours was very interesting on the other hand and I think he is absolutely right. He said it again in the interview with Brad, the whole NeoGAF thing is less about his game or even NeoGAF, but more about the way humans and human societies use technology for communication.

We, as a society, have not yet adapted to the incredibly fast development of the ways we communicate. Just imagine (the example Denis also used) someone invented the watch in the Middle Ages. Just over night, everybody could afford a watch. Before, people were living according to the sun etc. Now there is this abstract concept of time, that everybody tries to adhere to. This time, an hour, a minute etc. does not really exist like that. So, what would that've done to society? I don't know, but it would not have been an easy transition, that's for sure. Up until now, humans have evolved paralell to the techonlogical development. But, I think, starting with the industrial revolution, technology has been developing faster and faster and society just can't keep up. We have hardly been able to cope with the results of the industrialization, just now are we thinking about energy, environment, social responsiblity and productivity in a proper way. We have slowly adapted to the industrialization, but in the mean time, when we were not yet properly adjusted, we have destroyed our planet, depleted most of our ressources and had regimes like Stalin and Hitler. If we had adapted faster, a lot could have been prevented, I am sure. There is no need for communism in a socially resposnible society.

With the Internet-thing Denis talked about, it's just the same. We, as a society and as individuals, have not yet learned how to treat this new way of communication. Oh yes, we (or at least some of us) think we have already mastered it and I think, that we, postign on this very board, are already on a good way to adjust to this new form of communication, but overall, this process is going too slowly. I think we need to educate children in schools how to properly use the Internet. Hoe to properly communicate using this medium. This what Denis meant. A lot of people do not realize, that even though we don't see or hear each other, what we write here, is something we could have just as well said to each others faces. This is just as real as face-to-face communication. It is lacking a lot of the connotations and that makes it even harder, but what it especially is lacking for some people is this sense of being real. If you insult someone on a message board, you really do insult someone and hurt his/her feelings. Things you do and say have implications IRL, jsut like Pakorn said. We, as a society, have to learn how to deal with that. right now, GAF is a good example that shows, it's just not working yet.

Something I found very interesting as well was what Denis said about the "penalty" for loosing his little bet. He does not care at all if his NeoGAF-Tag reads "Owned by the GAF", he might never return to the side. All the other posters there do really care about their Tags and might actually feel like they really lost something. That's just absurd and illustrating what Denis talked about.

tl;dr: Denis is nice dude and I agree with him.

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shadowjak

No, he's a douche, not a moron. Firsto ff, everything he said in the 1up podcast about neogaf was completely true. Second, he knows how to make great games so clearly not a moron. Otherwise a five year old could produce a game.

If he's a moron, then Uwe Boll is a genius

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Ross

He's being passionate in defending his game that unfortunately was released to impossible hype after having been in the works for over a decade (although the 360 version was in development for 3 or 4 years).  So no he is not a moron, he is just defending just he loves.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By babylonian

Currently listening to an old Bombcast where Ryan called Dyack "the Canadian Keyser Soze". I like that description a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.