Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Curse of Osiris or Warframe?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Hey Duders!

Just wanted to get some feedback on if Curse of Osiris is worth coming back for?

I'm looking to level a new Warlock as I didnt enjoy my hunter at all playing through the destiny 2 content. I just recently stumbled across Warframe and heard its pretty cool!

I enjoyed my time with Destiny 2 but did not feel it was 90 bucks worth of fun. Folks think it'll be worth another 30 to keep playing or is a game like Warframe worth checking out to fill that fast paced loot shooter niche?

Thanks!

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Hestilllives19

@junkerman: I'm probably not the one to ask. I like, and always have, Destiny more than most people. And with the 3-5 hours I put into Warframe, I really didn't have that great of a time. The systems behind Warframe are suppose to be pretty slick, but all I saw was all kinds of Mic... Macro Transactions (because everything seemed rather expensive). I'd rather put my time into a game that, at it's core, is extremely fun to play like Destiny, than one that is extremely boring to play moment to moment but has "amazing systems" that it runs on. There is no doubt Destiny's Systems need a major overhaul, but honestly it doesn't even sound like you've gotten that deep into Destiny 2 to hit that wall yet. Hint: Most players don't and won't get that far, because it's systems, even right now when players are very agitated at them, don't start to break down until you put at least 100-150 (I hit that wall around 120 hours myself, but I'm also a very experienced Destiny player who was grinding everything that first month, including multiple Trials Flawless and Raid Clears each week that most players don't ever get on 3 characters) hours into it. If you didn't get far enough into Destiny 2 to clear Leviathan at least once and a Prestige Nightfall, I'd say stick with Destiny. Curse will include a lot of fixes (a few for it's current bad systems) and a decent amount of new content (probably 20-25 hours worth including everything like the new Raid Lair).

Note: Having played all 3 Classes quite a bit, Hunter is easily the least fun Class, including all the Subclasses IMO. Gunslinger is fun for a PvP that isn't as much fun as D1 was. But Nightstalker has been nerfed so bad due to bad perk selection by Bungie that it really isn't worth playing, and Arcstrider, while Combat Flow can be fun, isn't in the best place either. I enjoy playing Titan the most right now because all 3 Subclasses can be fun to play, but Warlock has it's moments on Voidwalker and Stormcaller. Also, Dawnblade is really bad and not very fun to play either. Hanging out mid air is not good in Destiny and leads to easy deaths. And Dawnblade is way too floaty.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Warframe is free so you can play that first and see if you like it.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warframe is by far the better value in terms of sheer amount of content for $0 - but I just don't care for the combat model. I feel it's too floaty and weird. Destiny's shooting is better but feels content-barren. I bought the super-fancy digital deluxe edition of Destiny so I plan to play through Osiris, get some decent gear, then uninstall it until the next expansion.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Warframe is a grind, but in the end you can grind for everything in the game without spending $$$ on anything. Yes you have to farm to get that far, but it is truly FTP if you want it to be. That said, ~400 hours in I've still got things to grind for and definitely to learn, and I haven't even touched the new "open world" portion stuff. There's a ton to do, but a lot of it is abandoned by the devs post-release and mechanics seem to only get cursory touch ups, at best. Destiny 2 at least stays pretty consistent in its vision, something that Warframe can't get away with claiming. It's so bad that several (fuck, most) of the major bosses at the end of planets that have existed forever in Warframe are downright garbage fires.

As you get further into the midgame-endgame of WF, it starts to approach a really ability-driven "hero" game, so if you're not into tons of ability usage a good chunk of the frames will be pretty boring to you. That said, plenty of the warframes are designed around shooting real good like.

It's also way faster than Destiny 2, like by factors faster. It feels so smooth in comparison to how clunky D2 is (to me, of course) and I can barely play D2 now that I've gotten into how fucking fast Warframe is without even utilizing a frame designed to go stupid fast. This also makes the game less "tactical" at times, where it comes closer to an ARPG where you shred screens at faster and faster speeds in a group. Optimize the numbers and some mechanical skill is the name of the game for WF.

tl;dr - if you like ARPG's more than shooters, grind and all, hit up Warframe. GRIND AWAY. If you want to play other games and have a life while seeing progress, play Destiny 2.

e: Somehow I forgot that Warframe explains almost nothing to a new player and is a severe learning curve to overcome. So that's another potential positive or negative to consider.

Bvb_Finn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Something about Warframe I cant do. I enjoyed it on PC awhile, but I just couldnt do it on console.

My advice to most people is to wait for year 2, or even 3. Unless of course you just really want something to play, but I doubt its going to take you long before youre looking for something else. The only downside to waiting is you might miss out on certain raid hype. Like, it might be harder to find a raid group for the older raids, or lesser liked...whereas during the time of the raid being released, it would be really easy.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zevvion

Curse of Osiris doesn't add a ton of content, nor a ton of quality of life changes, so if you didn't think D2 was worth your time, then Curse of Osiris won't change that.

As for Warframe, I tried playing it many different times. I first played it when it was beta on PC only many years ago and tried playing it over the years, as recently as two months ago. I can't get into it. It doesn't feel good to me and I just don't get sucked into that world.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By triple07

They are actually pretty different games even though they share a lot in common. I personally am going to be playing Curse of Osiris but I bought the edition with the first 2 expansions included. While I really enjoy Warframe it doesn't fill the same niche for me of just really solid shooting like Destiny does. It is a way better value proposition though as all the content as far as I know is available without paying anything. While I don't think it has as satisfying shooting as Destiny it does have its own thing going with the crazy movement and all the different Warframes. Plus it just had a pretty large content patch that added more open world content. Not sure how this works, or how good it is since I haven't tried it out yet.

So I guess for you I would say give Warframe a try. Since you didn't seem to like your time with D2 I'm not sure more content is going to fix that. Worst case scenario you play Warframe for a bit decide it's not for you and go play more D2, its not like the content is going anywhere (plus they are making some changes to progression on Dec 12th so you could easily wait for that).

Also where do you live that base Destiny 2 was $90? I bought the deluxe edition with the expansion pass for that price! (It was through Humble store with 10% off but still)

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Hestilllives19

@triple07: I assumed he meant he spent $60 for Destiny 2 and then another $35 for the expansion pass. If he meant $90 for base Destiny 2 I would have to assume he is in Australia. Prices on video games get nuts there I'm told.

@junkerman: Mike has a good point, Warframe is free, so give that a go and see how it feels to you. I couldn't stand the combat personally, but a lot of people love it. And as Prime mentioned earlier, I think I also didn't really understand the game, mostly due to the fact that it doesn't explain itself well.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a great video about why you should play warframe from a Destiny player point of view check it out

Loading Video...

I played over 200 hours of this game and it's hard to say what keeps me coming back. So this video is a great tool to show people what warframe is all about.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I cast one vote for Warframe! I just think this game is more fun the destiny. But I do love how well coded destiny is

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Canada where, unfortunately, new games are just shy of 90 bucks after taxes.

I think I might give Warframe a try since its free, but it didnt look too fun to me based off of the gameplay videos. I appreciate all the feedback though! I have a feeling I'll just be one of those bitter Destiny players until the year 3 vindication. /sigh

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

You should get a sense of Warframe with a couple of hours of play. I like it quite a bit, but I think Destiny has the best shooting, so that's where I'll be this week.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By galerian

I dislike the early grind of Warframe, but mind you, this was when Loki was my starter Warframe. As a game for you to play casually or amongst friend it is okay. Other posters already mentioned this, but the handling and combat feels a lot floatier than Destiny. I haven't try the Plains of Eidolon update, but I heard good things about it

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I dig the mechanics behind Warframe as I start to research it a bit, but all things point to it being a major time sink to get to its bigger pieces and I'm not sure I have the time for that right now... one thing I enjoy about Destiny is how casual it is.

I have been having a completely different experience using a Warlock this time around though, really wish I had done that from the start and not essentially lost all of that time.

phourniner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warframe for sure (500+ hours played). D2 was fun for all of a week, everything got stale, and the DLC sucks.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny 2 locked out most of the end game content, like nightfall and heroic strikes, for people who have not purchased the expansion pass. There's less content now than in vanilla D2...unless you pay an extra $20.

Sorry, but I can't in good conscience recommend that kind of game practice by any means.

My vote goes to Warframe.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warframe is a great game, granted its been a few years since i played but i had a good time even before i put 40$ into it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As someone who has played Warframe for over 600 hours on and off since 2012 and put nearly 400 hours into Destiny 1: they're wildly different games.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@neurogia said:

Destiny 2 locked out most of the end game content, like nightfall and heroic strikes, for people who have not purchased the expansion pass. There's less content now than in vanilla D2...unless you pay an extra $20.

Sorry, but I can't in good conscience recommend that kind of game practice by any means.

My vote goes to Warframe.

Again, this isn't true. Yes, it is shitty that some content is unavailable to people who did not buy the expansion, but there is a lot of misinformation being spread of what content is actually locked. Prestige activities and Trials are locked. Nightfall and Raid are still available, just not on Prestige.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Again, this isn't true. Yes, it is shitty that some content is unavailable to people who did not buy the expansion, but there is a lot of misinformation being spread of what content is actually locked. Prestige activities and Trials are locked. Nightfall and Raid are still available, just not on Prestige.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46537

An official apology from the Bungie dev team recognizing their errors and apologizing for locking out content for the vanilla Destiny players. A patch is apparently coming out next week to revert some of the changes, but not all them, that occuried with the CoO DLC.

And according to their patch notes it looks like they actually did lock out some of the content you said they did not. :)

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warframe is free and actually pretty good. Destiny 2 is a $90 shitshow. Thats my input.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

I recently got back into Warframe and it seems better than ever. It's still rough around the edges, but that's a lot easier to forgive when it's free. (And still has one of the most player friendly F2P models out there.) Its shooting isn't as smooth as Destiny, but it's the powers that make those games interesting anyway. Plus Warframe has a way more interesting selection of guns and melee weapons.

The other great thing about Warframe is the ability to start and stop playing whenever I feel like. I started Warframe like 4 years ago and have put hundreds of hours into it, but I've taken plenty of long breaks during that time. But when I feel like playing again I just redownload it and get going. I don't need to buy a half dozen expansions, or a full new game, or even PS+. It makes investing the time feel so much more worthwhile in the long run.

Destiny does some things I like, but it asks too much and gives too little in return.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.