Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Destiny 2 Reveal Trailer 10AM PT / 6PM BST

• 57 results
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

Edit: And the trailer is here! It has a date too: September 8th, a Friday.

-

So we're about 20 minutes away from the 'reveal' trailer for Destiny 2 (ignoring that 73 second teaser). I'm not approaching this as a Destiny fan as I haven't played it, but I am interested in seeing what the marketing machine for a $70+million game looks like.

How are Bungie and Activision/Blizzard going to position this game? It's going to be competing with other heavy hitter shooters like Battlefront 2 and (their own) Call of Duty 2017, but also with other big sequels like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

It's also worth remembering that the original Destiny was cross-gen with the PS3 and 360. This time they can develop solely for current gen hardware and hopefully they can show off what that means for the game.

2017 is shaping up to be a crazy year for games, so hopefully Destiny 2 throws something crazy in too.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Yep I'm sold. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"So, everything is gone. Your stuff, my stuff. But most importantly: my stuff." - Cayde-6

Ha, nice way to acknowledge the fact none of our gear carries over.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was fine with the teaser trailer being nonsense, but I expected more from a reveal trailer. The only story information we got is a guy named Gaal needs to die, which isnt that exciting.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Yup, that sure is a CGI thing that says absolutely nothing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, game, you have my attention.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get ready to hate something interminably all over again!

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Nah, I'm good.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: So what no aliens either? That's some of the worst box art i've seen in awhile. Obviously this means the game will be shit. (j/k)

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This trailer is a metaphor for the tone of the game being confused again.

xenobytezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a definite tone shift from that trailer, which is a good thing.

I'm kinda disappointed in myself how much that trailer got me excited...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

To me they are kind of playing up the "space knights" thing even more with the characters. Actually looks pretty WH 40k ish.

I find the ways in which they are tweaking it pretty interesting personally. They had a lot to build on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross, it made me remember Borderlands, -1 hype.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

packerman120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By packerman120

Guarded optimism is the name of the game here for me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Humanity

I don't have any particularly bad feelings about Destiny, although I do think it wasted your time in some really dumb ways, but this trailer somehow didn't sit all that well with me. Can't even say why exactly.. I mean it's like they're really trying to distance themselves from the first game in every way possible at which point I don't get why they're even bothering with calling this Destiny 2 instead of just making it another standalone game since there are almost no ties to the original.

It's not like the deep lore found on that external website was the biggest draw for most players.

But hey good luck, hope it's a more comprehensive experience this time around. Nothing wrong with more good games being out there - I just hope it turns out to be a good game.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting some gameplay...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trailer was pretty funny, but it felt kinda... I dunno, like a commercial for a phone app game? I expected something tonally in nature with the first Destiny, something mystical and magical. From the looks of it, The City getting effed up could have been a proper set up for an "Empire Strikes Back" kinda thing. Instead, we're getting a self-aware, lighthearted sci-fi action comedy akin to Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't have a problem with that, but there was potential with the initial tone and narrative from the prequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a horrible trailer. I like the change in tone. Destiny took itself way too seriously, but this type of humor falls flat at best and makes me cringe at worst. I'm all for a less-serious Destiny, but this was awful. If that guy is going to be talking to me in the game, that may be a deal-breaker.

Hopefully the game is good, and this is just them trying to drive home the fact that this is something new (with the gigantic "2" and the silly teaser and trailer).

Stop locking beta access behind preorders.

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superdomino

I'm so torn on PC vs PS4 now. Seems like playstation will still have exclusive content locked for a time which is a case for console. PC will look great and feel great but i just worry about the community drying up. Destiny feels like a Titanfall case where the console community will go on much longer.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mellotronrules

i didn't play d1, but i'm honestly looking for a excuse to give this a shot.

gotta say though- the tone of both the teaser and this trailer screams 'try-hard' to me. hopefully the game itself is solid.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh... PC at launch, didn't expect to see that. Guess I'll need to pay at least a little attention to what the game shapes up to be.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dan_CiTi

@thatonedudenick: essentially this. I'll probably pre order to get the beta though. I like the idea of getting this on PC but I doubt mine can run it as well as I'd like to and I am certainly not going to be able to afford a new PC by September 8th.

Oh but yeah this trailer said nothing other than Cayde-6 is annoying and a reason/justification for all of the loot going away, which I didn't really need. But I am glad to see the Tower go. I want to see how they deal with a change in graphics/look, framerate, and FOV on consoles with it coming to PC. I'd like to think it could look a bit different/better and get around 60 on a PS4 Pro / Scorpio.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Was the voice actor for Zavala different? Lance Reddick has such a distinctive voice, it didn't quite sound right to me.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By glots

@jaycrockett said:

Was the voice actor for Zavala different? Lance Reddick has such a distinctive voice, it didn't quite sound right to me.

I thought of Lance Reddick right away when I heard the character talk, so I'd imagine that is him. I never did encounter him in Destiny, but Lance was in Horizon so the voice is still pretty clear in my head.

Also this seems okay...well, for a trailer. Guess this is all we're getting before E3. I just booted up Destiny yesterday after not having played it since forever and it still played great. Now just make the surrounding elements just as good and I'm totally onboard.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first trailer but they really needed to pick a tone in this one.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who makes video game trailer I haaaaaaaaaaaated this. I mean I get it, they want to say they are changing the tone of the game; but that was not the biggest issue for me playing only 80 hours of Destiny 1 (which in Destiny terms is not even touching the amount of time the hardcore community put in that game) and hating myself for wasting my time with that game. If you have a new IP and you want to do a tone trailer I get it, not for a sequelfor a game that a lot of people had major issues with and felt burned by.........

Tell me why I should care about this as someone who was burned by the first game, cause if I want self referential humor I'll go watch deadpool again; its the same low rent crap that turned me off Borderlands in the long run.

My take - Destiny 2: GUYS WE GOT PHAT LOOT AND ITS FUNNY NOW

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hestilllives19

@jaycrockett: @glots: Lance Reddick has always been Zavala and this sounded exactly like him as well. Not sure why you would think it was anyone else.

As far as everyone saying this is a tonal shift, as someone who put 2,200 hours into Destiny, that's a crazy assumption. If you think that, you didn't play Destiny, at least you didn't play more than parts of the Original Story and never once listened to any Vanilla dialogue at the Tower. All 3 main characters on display, Zavala, Cayde-6, and Ikora Rey are all the exact characters they have always been throughout Destiny. They were not brought into the forefront until The Taken King expansion, which was arguably the absolute best Destiny's story ever was, but that is where you can most distinctly see these 3 characters in this form. There are also a slew of Tower Quotes from all 3 years of Destiny so far that back up the tone presented in this trailer. And what makes this trailer good in my opinion is the juxtaposition of the leadership styles of the 3 Leaders of the Vanguard (basically the 3 leaders of the human civilization left, each a leader of 1 of the 3 Guardian factions: Titan, Hunter, and Warlock).

Needless to say, as an actual fan of Destiny I loved both the teaser on Tuesday and this trailer. I can't wait to see the gameplay when they Twitch stream it live on May 18th. That can't come quick enough if you ask me.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Mixed feelings on that. I think the issue is that Destiny's advertising has always been so at odds with what the attempted tone of the actual game is so it doesn't really tell you anything. The original one had all those commercials with people bro-ing it up with one-liners when the game itself is super-serious.

It's just sort of weird. I mean, I'm all for making what would amount to a Firefly-toned MMO with Destiny level shooting. I'd probably play that. But I also would really have liked the original Destiny if they'd done the story right to begin with. And I don't think those are two extremes you can really mix together very well. It's either gotta be Cayde-6 one liners all the time or Bungie-style Serious Spiritual Sci-Fi. Mixing them together just sorta undermines both.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hah. That was cute. The loot joke was the only thing I couldn't help but roll my eyes at. Shame we probably won't get a big-budget science fantasy adventure (with substantive content of course) that's tonally more like Hyper Light Drifter out of Destiny though.

Now for the real question: do I wait for the reviews, or dive in because it's more Destiny aaaaand IreallylikedDestinycauseitplayedreallywellcauseitwasfuntoshootandmoveandthestrikesarereplayableandnoreallyitscoolI'velearnednothing.

#AsAnActualFanofDestiny I did not like the teaser and find this trailer decent.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Trilogy

As someone who didn't play the first game, this does nothing for me. Maybe there's some reference I'm missing that's getting people excited, but yea, it's just a slightly longer version of the first one they put out, which didn't have anything to say or show about the actual game, either. Also, it's kind of weird that the dude is basically joking about loot? Like, we all know that it's a loot game, but that just seems like a weird thing to joke about in your CG trailer. Was that humor in the first game or something?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 49th

I love the character designs, I have never really paid much attention to Destiny but the whole aesthetic from the trailer is pretty cool. I'd like to check this out now that it's available on PC, that was a fun trailer.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like I will just have to continue to wait for that mythical space opera game then.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I liked the teaser a whole lot, but this trailer felt it was trying too hard with the humor.

Still very curious how this pans out.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone still saying they are changing the tone of the game, they're not, and you don't know what you're talking about.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was expecting some gameplay...

Why? Does anyone actually think the gameplay won't be good? That was the one thing everyone actually liked about the first game.

Anyway, it's tough because trailers will never convey the exact scope of the content, and the system they wrap it in. Even from a story perspective it's fine for a tonal shift depending on how the mission is laid out. Tons of serious games have goofy side characters or goofy characters in general for the quip at the right time. It really just depends how it all looks. If you can't fly your ship and it's a loading screen to go to mini zones on planets though I may be out. I want fucking Borderlands in space. Give me a giant ass planet to roam around on and feel lost on, and then give me a few more of them. And then you knwo what you do for DLC? More fucking planets.

Like I feel we have been asking for a proper space loot shooter since last generation and everyone just keeps making their own stupid twist on it. Just give us what we want already. Not a psuedo MMO. Not micro transactions. A straight up first person RPG loot shooter with a ship that I can take to 3-4 curated huge as planets that you spent all your time making quests and characters on. Seperate the MP entirely, just let us explore that world, and that lore as endlessly as we like imo.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I was hoping for or disappointed in was no CGI preview of a new class or new element. Other than that it was about what I expected.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing an absolute ton of Titanfall 2 lately, I only have one request. Please be 60fps. It would make the PVP so much better.

I also like how they straight-up said that your vault and all your loot was destroyed in the attack. Cool with me. I want new loot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It coming to PC is neat but the trailers Deadpool vibe felt forced and did little for me. Let's wait till E3 I guess.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: I like the joke roaming around Reddit right now of, "But Bungie, what if I store my loot at the Reef or Iron Temple?"

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

PC availability is big for me. Looking forward to it!

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BrainScratch

Never cared about Destiny but liked it's designs and artstyle, so I'm a bit disappointed that some of the new stuff has a Warhammer vibe on it's looks. Other than that, I liked the trailer (and the teaser). I thought I was going to hate it after seeing people comparing it to Borderlands and Guardians of the Galaxy but I don't think it's like those, it felt more like they're acknowledging their own flaws rather than shove the jokes in your face.

Now I just want to know if they can get an interesting campaign, more "cinematic", and less generic multiplayer. If they manage to do that, I might be into it.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By Phoenix654

This trailer is an almost perfect metaphor. The blue dude seems to be the marketing machine while Nathan Fillion's robot represents the players of Destiny 1. They're trying desperately to salvage their damaged story, they players just want to know there's more loot to collect.

Also, zero gameplay, therefore I remain as uninterested in Destiny as I was when I stopped playing nearly two years ago. No trailer, I won't pre-order so I can have beta access, thanks though.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people still expect games like this to be revealed with a 20 minute long gameplay demo? Yes, it's a cinematic trailer. Of course it is. Especially coming from Bungie, who tend to be fairly tight-lipped about their games, this is not a surprise at all. This is how they announce every damn game they make.

We will find out about the game over the next few months, I'm sure by the time E3 has passed we'll have much of the info we need to make a more informed decision about our individual hype levels.

I liked the trailer. I think that Destiny could use a bit of that Bungie goofiness. It was one of the things that helped Halo's campaigns (up until 343 took over) more unique and enjoyable for me. I don't need the first trailer to reveal the game's secrets.

@theveej said:

As a person who makes video game trailer I haaaaaaaaaaaated this. I mean I get it, they want to say they are changing the tone of the game; but that was not the biggest issue for me playing only 80 hours of Destiny 1 (which in Destiny terms is not even touching the amount of time the hardcore community put in that game) and hating myself for wasting my time with that game. If you have a new IP and you want to do a tone trailer I get it, not for a sequelfor a game that a lot of people had major issues with and felt burned by.........

Tell me why I should care about this as someone who was burned by the first game, cause if I want self referential humor I'll go watch deadpool again; its the same low rent crap that turned me off Borderlands in the long run.

My take - Destiny 2: GUYS WE GOT PHAT LOOT AND ITS FUNNY NOW

It's an announcement. No announcement trailer could have shown how they are making a better game. Sorry but it just wouldn't be a trailer at that point it would be an event. They have plenty of time to talk more about the game itself. E3 isn't THAT far away and Destiny is big enough to justify plenty of marketing about the game itself between now and then.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe one day there will be a good Warhammer 40K game and I can play that...

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jonny_anonymous: Have you played that Space Marine third-person shooter that came out a few years ago? From what I heard it was actually pretty good.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baka_shinji17: Yeah, I love that game. Everything about it had so much weight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.