Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Getting started with Destiny 2

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

As Destiny 2 just popped up on Game Pass I'm thinking of finally dipping my toes into it and seeing if I can drag one of my friends to join me on a space shooty shoot shoot.

However all the discussion around this game has made it sound quite impenetrable even for someone who played and enjoyed the first Destiny. I really don't know how much I should worry about light levels and raids and so on.

The Game Pass version seems to include two DLC packs called Forsaken and Shadowkeep. Will the be enough to get me started or should I pick up some other "essential" DLC before beginning? Anything else I should know before starting? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By navster15

Nah, you’re good with what you have. To start out, just follow the quest markers for “New Light” and run through the “Red War” campaign. By that point you’ll start to get the Destiny loop and you can then pick and choose what parts of the game you want to engage with.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Got my PS4 save, did they ever figure out cross-save so I can move to Xbox? I was planning to buy the expansions, but hey, can't beat Game Pass.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Cross save works flawlessly, and cross play should be happening in 2021 according to Bungie’s roadmap.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Forsaken is the best piece of content in my opinion. The Red War is what was Destiny 2 at launch. Mars / Warmind is good. Curse of Osiris / Mercury, I personally do not like.

The intro has been revamped and ties things better. Like, there are quest lines for strikes. “What’s a strike?” Well, that intro should help give you an idea. (That’s an example, but they have intro quests for basically everything; planets, Crucible, Gambit, etc.)

One of the reasons why I liked Forsaken was because that’s what made Destiny really click for me. It’s story ties in Adventures and a couple other things, which really flesh out the loop of the game.

These planets are being vaulted, meaning they are being taken out of the game (at least for now): Titan, Io, Mercury, and Mars. Mercury and Mars have DLC expansions which I believe Bungie stopped selling, or will stop soon enough. The Red War (the first campaign of Destiny 2 which includes Io and Titan) is worth seeing, if you want to play through that in its entirety.

Light levels basically have a base. Currently that is 750. Some content is at a higher level. As an example, if you are 800 and you see something that has a power level of 1000, you are under level. The leveling is not that bad to get up to speed (like 800 to 900 isn’t a grind), but the max level will take more time (going from 1050 to 1060).

One thing with light levels is they average out. For example, if you are 750 and play 750 content, you are at level. If you are 950 and play 750 content, the game adjusts your level (as opposed to going in over powered). If that’s confusing just focus on not being significantly under level when playing content and you’ll be fine.

With Raids, don’t worry about them yet. That’s obviously more late game. Beyond the light level, it’s more ideal to have a variety of weapons and you need to be more familiar with various mechanics and concepts before jumping into them. If you are interested, there are groups which can help new players through raids whenever you’re ready. In the community, they are called “sherpas”, so you might see something where somebody is scheduling a raid and say “requesting sherpa”.

I’ve played Destiny for 2-ish years before I did my first raid, so don’t feel like you have to jump into one right away. I haven’t played all of them, but my favorite that I have seen is called The Last Wish, which is part of Forsaken.

Hope that helps.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the campaign and enjoyed it whilst it was on PS Plus. Nothing too complicated, I just made the numbers go up.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Oh, with Shadowkeep, that is the latest expansion, and you are likely to bump into higher level stuff. It’s...alright. I have not spent a great amount of time with it to be honest. There’s some really good stuff in there, but I also haven’t explored everything with it.

I would start with earlier content first. Just play through a campaign or follow those quest lines. That should nudge you into more quests for exotic and legendary weapons.

Destiny also adopted seasons and battle passes and all of that. That’s more for long term recurring player. Starting off you’re going to get so many quests and things to do you don’t need to worry about getting anything like that yet.

cparrish2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: I'm constantly playing destiny, feel free to hit me up on xbox. Gt: Cosmic Cal

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

The current onboarding process within the game for new and/or free to play players is very bad. My brothers tried the game for the first time last year when it first went free to play, and seeing the way the game handles new players was baffling. If I wasn't there to answer their questions and point them towards certain things, I can't imagine they would have stuck with it for any period of time.

The first of your questions I want to address is DLC. Forsaken and Shadowkeep are currently the only two paid expansions. Destiny has one big expansion each autumn, and varying levels of content releases throughout the year. There were two smaller expansions in the first year, but both are now included in the free to play experience (though essentially all of that content will be leaving the game in November). Year 2 used an annual pass which included 3 seasons of content released throughout that year. That content is now part of Forsaken, though as with the year 1 content most of it will be leaving the game in November.

The year 3 and still current method for releasing and paying for seasonal content is the season pass model. This serves two functions, the first being similar to a battle pass with 100 levels of stuff to unlock, the second function being granting access to seasonal activities. However, seasons within year 3 did not have content or activities persist beyond that season. While activities released during mid year seasons in year 1 and year 2 remained in the game, activities associated with seasonal content in the past year went away as the season ended. As such, the only content you could buy currently that isn't included with gamepass is the current season pass for $10. I wouldn't recommend this, as this doesn't encompass a ton of content (most of the seasonal content is freely accessible) and the season ends soon.

The next big expansion, Beyond Light, will release in November and will be included with gamepass, though you will need to buy the season pass for $10 in order to access some seasonal content not directly associated with the expansion as well as the premium tier battle pass rewards.

As for how to get started with the game, the main thing I would recommend is to seek out the campaigns. I say seek out because the game will not direct you to these and their existence is not surfaced to you in an obvious way anymore. While some are better than others, they are all worth playing in my opinion. There are 5 campaigns currently in the game the game, but 3 of these will be removed in November. The campaigns are:

The Red War: This is the vanilla campaign that launched with the game. This is probably the longest, with high production value. It might be a little weird currently because many skyboxes in the game have changed to reflect the current state of the world and the imminent loss of 4 planets, but just ignore the big black pyramids floating over some planets.

Curse of Osiris: Regarded by the community as a low point for the series, Curse of Osiris is the first of two "mini campaigns." While the associated expansion is not well liked, much of this was tied to the poor state of the endgame and overall state of the game at the time. The campaign itself is fine.

Warmind: The second of the two mini campaigns, Warmind is where the game started to turn a corner and improve. However, like Curse of Osiris this is largely a result the overall state of the game, with improvements made to progression, additions of longer term chases like exotic catalysts, and changes to the weapon and ability sandbox, which aren't really relevant to the campaign when experiencing it 2 and half years later. The campaign itself is also fine.

Those first three campaigns will be removed from the game when Beyond Light launches. In order to play these campaigns, you need to go the NPC named Amanda Holiday in the hangar area of the Tower and pick up the quests from her. Taking place after these campaigns are the final two.

Forsaken: This was the big the turnaround, Destiny 2's Taken King. While much of Forsaken's strength lied in changes to the core game, such as the re-introduction of special weapons and addition of new supers, the campaign itself was also fantastic. The tone was noticeably less silly and overall the story finally felt like it was going somewhere and building upon the deep and interesting lore within the actual game. The Forsaken campaign is the best of them all in mine and many others' opinions.

Shadowkeep: This was the most recent campaign, released last year. In terms of length of production value, it sits somewhere in between the mini campaigns and the two big campaigns. It's pretty good, but not at the level of Forsaken. It does, however, set up some things that definitely feel like they are going to be explored in the forthcoming storylines.

After playing the first three campaigns, I would recommend engaging with some of the quest the game will give right after creating your character. Many of these will be quests from the first year of the game that reward you with exotic weapons just generally get exploring the planets and seeing the sights. After all the campaigns is when you probably want to start getting into some of the endgame stuff.

You'll naturally be increasing in level up to the soft cap (Power Level 1000) as you play, and that's when you'll want to start doing powerful reward activities. These will show up on the map and once you hit the soft cap and will be sources of higher level gear from that point forward. At the base power level you start at, you'll be able to do essentially everything in the game from year 1 and year 2. As you get closer to soft cap, much of the year 3 content will be playable. It is only for high level nightfall strikes and the newest dungeon that you will need power levels beyond the soft cap.

Once you get into the endgame, you're probably going to want to find some people to play with.

Lincoln Force is the primary GB Destiny clan on Xbox: https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=1723693

You can also find folks in the GB Destiny discord server: https://discord.gg/VZJhHrx

The core 3 activities in the PvE endgame are:

Nightfall Strikes: Each week a specific strike will be featured as the Nightfall: The Ordeal strike. This strike has various difficulty settings, each adding more modifiers and increasing the enemy power level. All level of the nightfall have champions, elite enemies that have unique abilities that need to be countered with specific weapon mods that are acquired from the seasonal artifact. The two lower levels of the nightfall have matchmaking, while the higher levels will require you bring 2 teammates.

Dungeons: This activity type was added in Forsaken, and are essentially scaled back raids for teams of 3 rather than 6, with slightly simpler mechanics. There are 3 dungeons in the game currently, and they are all fantastic. You're going to need to form a team of 3, as there is no matchmaking. Two or the three reward powerful drops, while two of the three (not the same two) have quests for exotic weapons associated with them.

Raids: Raids are the core endgame experience, and the IMO the best content the game has to offer. There are currently 7 raids, and they are all worth doing. Raids can vary in size and scope quite a lot, with some of the smaller ones being quite short, and the longest being a marathon with 4 bosses spanning 6 total encounters. All but the newest raid (Garden of Salvation) can be done at the base power level, and even Garden of Salavation is set below the current soft cap. You will not have to grind out any powerful rewards to do any of the raids. You will however, need to find a group. I don't play on Xbox myself, but taking a peek at Lincoln Force, it appears very active. I counted like 50 people active in just the last 10 days, so you should be able to find like minded folks to raid with if you choose. I wholeheartedly recommend raiding, it is unlike anything else in the FPS sphere, and the best thing Destiny has going for it. It is also worth noting that 5 of these raids will be removed in November (Last Wish and Garden of Salivation are staying), so if you want to try them out you have somewhat a ticking clock.

Aside from the endgame stuff, there are a bunch of exotic quests, secret missions, and of course PvP and Gambit (a team vs. team horde mode style mode with a limited PvP component). There are also vestiges of old seasonal content such as Escalation Protocol and Blind Well (public horde mode activities), Reckoning and Menagerie (matchmade raid-lite style activities) and forges (matchmade horde mode activity).

Overall, there's a ton of content in the game (though a lot will be gone soon) and it's just fun to shoot enemies. I recommend trying out the campaigns, dipping your toes into some of the quests, world activities like adventures, and strike playlists to see if taking on some endgame activities is something you might be interested in. Dungeons and Raids are, in my opinion, the best cooperative FPS experiences you can have in any game. If you're enjoying the shooting and overall gameplay, trying a raid or a dungeon is definitely going to be worth your time.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play red war and the other quests given by amanda holliday (especially since they will all be gone when the new dlc starts).

NedyahWerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely check out Lincoln Force for the clan. Been in it for a while and the clan has a good group of guys and gals to help show you the ropes and help out as needed. I think I may start playing again with it on Gamepass I'm guessing it will bring in loads of new folks.

Once you get into the endgame, you're probably going to want to find some people to play with.

Lincoln Force is the primary GB Destiny clan on Xbox: https://www.bungie.net/en/ClanV2?groupid=1723693

You can also find folks in the GB Destiny discord server: https://discord.gg/VZJhHrx

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Thanks for all the thorough info. After digging into my Bungie account I noticed and remembered that I had in fact played some of this back in 2017. I guess there was some sort of free trial period of the game back then?

It looks like the last story mission I completed back then was "Riptide" and there's a golden star symbol next to my name with the number 656 on it. Does it sound like I'm deep enough in the game that I should continue from there or has enough changed that I should just start over?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

Thanks for all the thorough info. After digging into my Bungie account I noticed and remembered that I had in fact played some of this back in 2017. I guess there was some sort of free trial period of the game back then?

It looks like the last story mission I completed back then was "Riptide" and there's a golden star symbol next to my name with the number 656 on it. Does it sound like I'm deep enough in the game that I should continue from there or has enough changed that I should just start over?

You will have to start over story wise anyway, everything was revamped with new light. Riptide is probably a story mission, "red war" is the original campaign so you would need to start it over to get back to where you were. They start you at like 750 light now too so that doesn't matter, light level only matters for certain season and end game activities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.