Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Is now the best time to jump all in to the PC Version? (And if so, looking for a GB Clan!)

imJimothy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By imJimothy

Hi all,

I played a ton of D1 and enjoyed it, but never let myself get too invested since it was never released on PC, and I'm never as comfortable playing a shooter on a game pad as I am on a M/KB set up.

With how the community, and the duders have been talking about D2: Forsaken, I've been tempted to jump back into the game. I picked up the base game with the DLC pass for year, and remember feeling a little under whelmed and boarded once I reached end game. I trust the GB community far more than I do that of the official DestinyTheGame subreddit or Bungie forums, so how do you guys feel the game is now on PC? Is there a GB clan that I could get into to find some guys to play with as I mostly play solo right now ....

Thanks guys and gals!

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Hestilllives19

@imjimothy: I just ran Activity on Taswell Corps, there are now 25 open spots. Rorie already linked the Giant Bomb Destiny Discord.

As far as if this is the best time to jump back into Destiny, I personally think it is. But you might want to evaluate what you want from the game first. The Forsaken Campaign is really solid, but it does leave things a bit on the open book side. That is primarily due to a pretty expansive and honestly extremely well made Post Campaign arc. That arc takes you all the way up to Destiny 2's newest content that is only available every 3 weeks, this week in fact, of the Shattered Throne Dungeon at 590 Power Level. Here is where your level of commitment as a player comes into play. Forsaken has a softcap at PL 500 and Level 50. The vast majority of players touching it will pretty easily reach this due to any gear anywhere leveling you up to this point, but you are still looking at investing a decent amount of time to get here, depending on where you start from (0 or Level 30 having finished all other content). From Warmind's finish and around 385-400 PL, your probably still looking at 25 hours, maybe less, to finish the campaign and hit 500. Then you have to unlock The Dreaming City and all the post game content, probably another few hours. Once you've done that, the real grind begins. Forsaken easily has one of the harshest leveling systems in Destiny's history post 500, with multiple softcaps (look at this chart) and certain Activities with rewards that will actually allow you to make progress at certain levels, and others that will just pretty much even you out to your current power level. To be honest, this is not something I'm the biggest fan of. Mainly because for most people, not only takes it take longer than it should, but it's rather complicated, which is why I put up a Information and Leveling Guide to all things Forsaken (some of the stuff gets into really deep hidden Dreaming City Activities). But one of the great things about Forsaken, is in any given week, there are 20-30 possible things you could be doing, with and without groups. It is the biggest and most diverse the Destiny Franchise has ever been, but it can also make the game a bit overwhelming. In any given week, you can be being pulled between 3, 4, 5, or even 6 Activities that you feel compelled to get done because they won't exist next week. It's a whole lot to handle for Completionist type players. Very few people will even get half of what Forsaken has to offer done. But if that isn't something you care about, and you are ok with just jumping in and picking the few Activities that you like, it's a pretty amazing experience. If you get hooked, like many of us, on Forsaken, you can easily spend several hundred hours in this world, and feel like you are seeing new stuff very often. It's the best the Franchise has ever been in my eyes, but I do wish they would streamline the 500-600 Power Leveling process more. You are very likely to spend 3-4 weeks, at 20+ hours per week to start unlocking the End Game content like the Last Wish Raid and finally the Shattered Throne Dungeon. And keep in mind, a lot of these End Game Quest/Activities more or less require a group, so I highly recommend both finding a Clan and checking out the Discord. There are a ton of us hanging around there who have been there and done that with everything in this expansion, so we can walk you through any questions you might have.

And the whole monetization thing is being blown out of proportion lately. Activision promised investors in a call earlier this week that they wanted to bring players back because “Some of our other franchises like Destiny are not performing as well as we'd like. Forsaken is a high quality expansion of content into the universe, honestly some of the highest quality content we've seen in the franchise to date. We have not yet seen the full core re-engage in Destiny, which has led to the underperformance against expectations to date. Some players are in ‘wait and see’ mode. If you’re in, you’re deeply engaged. If not, we think now’s the time to bring players back.” I think Activision's biggest concern here is the "full core re-engage in Destiny". With 1.9m players logging into Destiny yesterday, a Sunday and 10 weeks into Forsaken, it's safe to say that the players who own Forsaken are playing, and frequently. But a low quality bar on Curse of Osiris, and general lack of depth to the End Game in vanilla Destiny 2 last year really turned a lot of the 10 million players who purchased it off. There are a couple things of note. Bungie recently released Destiny 2 base on PC for free until Nov. 18th. They also recently announced the end of Season 4 for November 27th, which very likely signals the launch of the Black Armory DLC, which is surprising in that most players assumed it would launch a week later on Dec. 4th. They also recently announced and put in game a new Silver purchasing option in the form of Temporal Surges. These are basically the ability to buy outright previous Season Emotes for an actual cash value. To be honest, while this sounds like the real money microtransaction scummery Jim Sterling loves to rage against, this is actually a very positive thing for the game, and something I've actually been a proponent of for a long time. Cosmetic items like Emotes, in my opinion, need to be given a value and sold for an actual amount, rather than RNG loot boxes. I love that Destiny 2 allows these items, in the current season, to both be obtained for free for playing, or purchased with an in game currency in Silver Dust if it's for sale that week. But you just might not obtain that item and really want it. For a game that some players put hundreds of hours into, not being able to obtain a silly dance move can be frustrating, so removing the RNG if you decide to buy it, is a very good thing.

TLDR: Destiny 2, after a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get here, has one of the best microtransaction stores in video games IMO. I don't expect that to change, because to be honest, it doesn't need to. Bungie is making a lot of money off it, and it's a really good system. And I strongly think systems like Termporal Surges are what Activision was talking about to Investors, and that is nothing but a good thing for the game.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By rorie

There are a few D2 clans, I think. I can't guarantee access to any of them but I'm in Goldman Shaxx which seems pretty busy! There's a GB Destiny Discord that might be able to funnel you to the right place.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've told their investors that they plan on monetising the game more due to disappointing profits. I expect the game to get much worse when they roll that shit out, so maybe when forsaken was released was the best time to jump in. Who knows how soon that'll happen or how bad it'll be though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5  Edited By Humanity

It depends how much you want this game to consume your life. In order to get the most out of Destiny and Destiny 2 by extension you will have to first and foremost have a dedicated group of people to do group content with, so either 2 more pals for nightfalls etc or 5 more friends for raids - or at least have a reliable pool to draw from. Given that, you will have to dedicate a significant portion of your free time to get the most out of this game. Also as mentioned above, there has been an investor meeting where they decided that monetization is the best way to drum up revenue so prepare to see 5 more Silver-esque (Silver is the real money bought currency for cosmetics) getting introduced down the line to the already incredibly lengthy list of resources the game deals in.

Destiny can be a lot of fun but it requires quite an investment from the player.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@humanity: Yeah, the whole lifestyle gaming thing sucks. I think there was a sweet spot with Taken King where they got it right. I’ve tried Destiny 2 twice...it’s not worth the bullshit.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@nutter: I remember Destiny 1 becoming almost a job at some point where I would get home, see which of my "clan" buddies were on and running through all the content on my three characters. They were even more hardcore than me because we would run a raid on hard which took like a good 2-3 hours when you got good at it, and then they would run it again on all their alts. I remember when I finally quit it was almost like quitting a drug because I became so used to the routine and suddenly it felt like I was somehow missing out by not participating and doing the grind with the group. In retrospect it was the right choice for me personally because I'm just not that hardcore anymore, but if you have time and energy to burn then why not.

imJimothy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19:

Hey man, don't know what to say but WOW. Thanks for the great in depth answer. I have since grabbed the DLC AND am trying to find me a GB centered clan to get into some of the content with.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never a better time than when it's free! lol. I don't have time to get into the multiplayer and stuff so playing an hour or so a week has been cool, i like it.

EthicZetetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EthicZetetic

Who has not yet bought Destiny 2, I advise you to read my topic on the Bungie website (it is short) about the banns in Destiny 2. I'm lucky guy, because was banned before I could enter the acquired Destiny 2 Exhausted Delux Edition, Blizzard recorded the fact that I couldn’t even enter the game for 1 second, so they return money to me, but you may not be so lucky.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/249886322

Despite the return of money, this story hooked me and I will try to inform as many people as possible about this. I first encountered with such surrealism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.