Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Titan Prom; Grouping Etiquette or The Struggles of Gaming Socially

Zebrasectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zebrasectomy

How do you folk go about finding a group? Is it weird if someone just pops into your fireteam unnanounced? Does anyone else struggle with the desire to play co-op with fun duders but are also a Shy Boy/Girl with anxieties?

I dont play a lot of co-op games with strangers and none of my regular group are playing destiny right now so Im going to have to find some new people to play with, but social gaming on this level is new to me (never used discord, never done a raid).

Ive dropped into a few clan fireteams unnanounced and it went well, are most people okay with that? Would you rather have a joiner or get invited?

Anyway, I wanted to make this thread so folk could talk about your own experiences and ask stupid questions about basic social interaction in Destiny 2.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was/am in the same position as you and I highly suggest joining the Giant Bomb Destiny 2 Discord

https://discordapp.com/channels/231053783529029633/231053783529029633

Zebrasectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im gonna join tonight! I could ask what discord is and how it works but I should probably just look that up on my own...

One issue I have to find a work around is that i usually play late (10:00-12:00am, maybe 2:00 if i have a day off after), and the acoustics travel upstairs so if Im loud I risk waking my wife up. So I guess im just going to have to whisper gently into the mic or communicate through soft grunting?

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By boatorious

I play on XB1 and the GB clans seem practically dead already, though it doesn't help that there are literally four different systems that they are using for groups (xbox groups, discord, bungie.net chat, and 100.io). To top it off Bungie.net chat seems to be used the most, but I think each XB1 clan can only see their own chat. When the GB XB1 clans pretty much ceased to exist mid-Destiny I joined another group that mandated everyone have slack. Wish we could agree on one app.

So I'll probably go back to the LFG sites, that's what I did for nearly all of my Destiny 1 raids.

My main advice: if you're using the LFG sites, most of the crazy hardcore players complete raids/nightfalls right after the reset. So you'll get much better groups on Tuesday and Wednesday than you will later in the (reset) week.

Other than that, be leveled for whatever raid you are doing, and have an idea of what each encounter is ahead of time (unless it's new that week). Ask for help if you need it. You'll also need a mic and be able to talk because you'll need to call things out occasionally.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GrayFox666

@boatorious: I feel like that's an Xbox One issue because the PS4 clans and lfg on the discord are crazy full and active

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zebrasectomy: discord is basically just a chat room and there you can organize groups for the raid, nightfalls and other coop events. As for your playtime issue that could be a problem but there are people all around the world on there so I'm sure you can find some people. In fact some of the raid groups start real late.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zevvion

@boatorious: PlayStation 4 has, unfortunately, a much better deal to play Destiny 2. You get more free content in the form of more Exotic weapons, more armor, more Strikes, more multiplayer maps and more with every priced Destiny content release. PS4 also has the higher install base, so 1 + 1 = 2 and most people will play on PS4.

There are multiple PS4 clans in the Discord and I had to mute most of them except two and my phone is still buzzing every 19 seconds. Which I like, because it's nowhere close to dead.

I'm not sure why Bungie keeps doing deals with Sony. It is bad for all involved but specifically Xbox players. I guess the sales team or whatever are in charge of making deals and they don't give a shit. I can't imagine the dev team is behind this decision at all.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zebrasectomy: As far as general system etiquette, I tend to check in game what someone is doing first if I want/need their help with something. If they are with a group already then I just leave them alone. After that I check my feed for what Party Chat (PS4) they are in if one. Again, if they are in a Party Chat, that also means they are already with some people about to do a thing, so again I leave them be. The next step is to send them a quick Playstation message, "Hey, I need help with the Raid, we already have 4", etc. I also generally keep my Party Chats set to Open. My close friends know it's ok for them to just jump in my Open PC, and vice versa. If you jump in and it sounds like they are busy about to do something just say "Oh sorry, I was just seeing if you were busy but it looks like you are." But, this only goes for close friends you play with frequently. If someone I played with once during a Raid or Trials did this, I'd probably be a bit annoyed. If it's your Party Chat go ahead and invite players that pass the not busy in game and Party Chat test, that is generally fine too. But please do not spam requests. Send one, and if they don't respond let it go. Nothing is worse than being busy or away and being hit with 10 Party Chat invites or messages. Outside of that, have fun with cool people. Our Clans and especially now our Discord are great tools to find groups of awesome Duders. Good luck.

@boatorious: It probably depends on which Xbox One Clan you are in honestly. I just looked at the Bungie.net page for Lincoln Force and they had like 17 messages just in the last 24 hours, which is extremely active for a Bungie.net Clan page. The Xbox LFG on Discord is a lot quieter than PS4 LFG, but that is just you guys using it. Tell your Clan to start using both that and their Private Text Channel on Discord. It's faster and easier to communicate with each other there and it also gives you access to the others Xbox Clans via Xbox LFG. I will post on Lincoln Forces page to tell them to start using both, but I have zero control over the other 3 Clans, so if you are a part of one of those other Clans please tell them to utilize that tool to their advantage.

@zevvion: That's weird, the entire Discord is set to @Mentions only, so the only time you should get a message is when it's directly to you. My phone never gets updates from the Destiny Discord. Are you sure those aren't from Cerberus Wolves Discord (I just checked and you have it set to All Messages rather than Only @Mentions, this is why your phone is blowing up). You can change that on the Server Notification Settings. I don't see it from Cerberus Wolves because I have your Discord Muted just like I do the Unnofficial Giantbomb, so that I don't hear a ping everytime I'm on that server at work. Everyone would be so pissed at me if I had left it at All Messages like it originally was now that it has grown so large.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@hestilllives19: No, I get notifications for everything. I am rarely mentioned in any of the posts. It's not a complaint though, I just mute it and look at it when I want. I only have the LFG channel un-muted as I want to be kept up to date on that stuff.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: Hmmm. Might be because you are a Mod then. I don't know, that's weird, because I don't have anything muted and never get anything but @Mentions and Direct Messages.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zevvion: Hmmm. Might be because you are a Mod then. I don't know, that's weird, because I don't have anything muted and never get anything but @Mentions and Direct Messages.

I get messages every time you create a new channel, until I mute it. Unless you changed it to only notify with mentions in the last day or two, it's never worked like that for me.

Not a big deal, though. It's easy enough to mute channels.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: @spaceinsomniac: Ah, I just looked it up. The default for the sever is set to only @Mentions and has been like that for about a month. Each user can also set his own settings for the server that overrides what the server settings are though. So you guys may check that out. See if your setting are set to All Messages.

Zebrasectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried hitting up discord awhile back but didnt have any luck. Probably because my work schedule is pretty unusual and I was on at like 2:00am mountain time.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use this site. Link to destiny LFG

It's been very easy for me to find groups in less than a minute usually.

Zebrasectomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zebrasectomy

Ill try thst one out! Ive got about 3-4 hours to kill in an empty house tomorrow afternoon before work, im hoping i can finally do my first nightfall with the reset.

Correction: not completely empty house. There is a large dog who may require to go outside, probably at a critical point in the session, or bark loudly directly into my mic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.