Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Using a Controller on PC

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I realise this is probably heresy to most, but I can't stop playing the PC version of Destiny with a gamepad rather than mouse and keyboard. I feel like I am letting the side down but I can't help myself.

My reasoning is twofold. Firstly, I played the first game completely through on the 360 until the support tailed off and I can't shake the feeling that it is a natural controller style game - but that's maybe more to do with muscle memory rather than game design. Secondly, as a recent decent PC builder, I still find M&K controls a bit unnatural. Don't get me wrong, I see the advantages. I don't think my PUBG friends would let me play if I used a controller and I am finding this control system fine for slower paced games. But having tried it out a couple of times on Destiny 2 I just can't find any fluency using a M&K. I'm not all into the crucible so I am fine not having a competitive edge in that side of things. It just feels right having a pad in my hands while I wander about the game.

Anyone else committing PC heresy or are you all much more disciplined and dexterous than I?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Hey man, one of benefits of PC gaming is being able to use whatever control method you want. I wouldn't want to play a shooter on PC with a gamepad, but if that's what you prefer then go for it. You should never feel bad for playing how you want to play. Some PC players play third person games like Assassin's Creed or The Witcher 3 with keyboard and mouse, while I will always play those games on a gamepad. It's just preference.

The great thing about having options is that everyone can play how they want.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As ever, it's what you're used to. To me, controllers feel far less natural and require more dexterity than M+KB.

Who cares? Use whatever makes you happy.

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm playing with a controller as well. Just don't expect to win at pvp or carry in strikes/raids.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i do, not just for destiny but even other games. it's mostly just for comfort. the slight decrease in precision is a small price to pay for less strain on my hands, wrist, and back in the long run. the minor downside is that i like variety and trying different guns, but using a gamepad just always makes SMGs more appealing to use since it doesn't require good aim.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Efesell

If it lets me I'll play any game on PC with a controller, it's more comfortable.

As I learn every time my batteries die out my skill with mouse and keyboard have also totally atrophied.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, the soothing voices of the bombers. Thanks guys. I was getting very bored of being told over comms that I should really use M&K like they were the first ever person to do so. @ll_exile_ll , I completely agree, the whole reason I moved over to a PC, aside from finally being able to afford one, was to be able to play games in a multitude of ways. Surely that's the whole point?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Hestilllives19

I've been enjoying playing on my Xbox One Controller a ton, committing all the heresy, also @ll_exile_ll don't judge me, I'm weak so I bought it on PC too. I've had a blast though using the pad, especially since I rarely turn on my Xbox One and it just collects dust, so I'm actually getting some sort of use out of that purchase. I've also been doing relatively well in PvP. I have like a 1.38 K/D and 2.08 KA/D overall on PS4 and I'm at 1.53 K/D and 1.99 KA/D on PC so far, but that's only in 15 games, mostly solo. I have found it much harder to compete against Hand Cannon users on PC rather than Console where nobody uses them due to the horrific Aim Assist, Bloom, and just general bad accuracy issues. M/KB users don't seem to miss with them ever so they are again as good as Destiny. But Auto's and Scout's are still strong so you can use that to your advantage, and right now most PC players are extremely inexperienced, so while they might have a twitch advantage, Destiny is much more about map knowledge and understanding angles, much of which the PC community at large is lacking compared to Consoles right now. I've really enjoyed my time with it. I really wish I already had a group of Trials friends on PC like Console for this Weekend though.

To Exile's point earlier, I know some PC Elitist have a weird deal about using M/KB only for PC games, especially FPS's, but that's the brilliant thing about PC, you can do whatever you want for the most part, and if using a Gamepad after you've been on a M/KB all day at work is your thing like it is mine, more power to you.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll judge you, but ultimately, it's your game. Do whatever.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By nophilip

After hundreds of hours across Destinies 1 & 2 on PS4, I'm playing on the PC with my Dualshock 4. I'm just extremely used to how the game feels in a gamepad. So far it turns out that I'm doing just fine in both PvP and PvE content. I'm performing about the same in Crucible as I do on console, pretty consistently around 3.0 efficiency.

The only real Crucible difference on PC that I've seen is that a lot more people seem to be using Coldheart.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The only place where you shouldn't use a controller is in Trials. You'll let your team down. If people rage at you for using it in the (Prestige) Raid, they are being illogical. You can perform to 100% effectiveness with a controller in PvE content.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also don't team with anyone who would be on somebodies case for letting the team down in a video game.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By xanadu

I'm also using a controller. The main culprit for me is my computer monitor. When you have a 55" 1080p tv sitting right next to your 20" 1080p cpu monitor, using that for the sake of mouse and keyboard purity seems silly.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do you. If I ever double dip I might as well,

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Here is the question though, would you rather me use a Controller in Trials on PC, when I have a 2.26 KA/D on PS4 in Trials, or try to use a M/KB for the first time? I'm going to be using a Controller in Trials on PC this weekend, and if anyone on my team has a problem with that they can, as Quinndolyn so eloquently put it on the Cerberus Wolves Discord, "Suck My Butt" (haha I still don't understand that phrase but I love it, it sounds like some kind of Super Kink).

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I switch back and forth. Usually I start enthusiastically with a mouse and keyboard and then switch to a controller because I just want to lean back and also I'm never as comfortable with a KB/M as I am with a controller.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm tempted to give it a whirl just to see how it feels, but as it is I'm always gaming at my desk it's usually MKB for me. Maybe I'll whip out the old Xbox controller at some point just to see how it feels; I honestly haven't even turned it on yet.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Isn't there heavy aim assist for controllers still in the PC version of Destiny 2?

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By maxszy

Meh, ignore others. How you play, is up to you. Gamepad feels better? Do that. Its supported for a reason.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I never liked the feel of M+K in Destiny. I think it's probably a sensitivity issue, where I have my fancy high response mouse turned all the way up for Doom and Titanfall 2 and going to the slower Destiny feels twitchy and weird. But I immediately fell in love with how the controller felt, so I stay with that 100% of the time. I think if you're worried, then find an ok set up with M+K that you can go to if you want to do pvp or your groups struggling or whatever and you need it, and then use the controller the rest of the time. I don't think you need to worry about it though.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hestilllives19

@mike: It feels pretty identical to what it feels like for Destiny 2 on PS4. Whether one considers that heavy I don't know. What I do know is that due to it's PC release, Destiny 2's base Aim Assist has been drastically reduced across all Platforms from where it was on PS4/Xbox One for Destiny. It's one of the reasons, with a Gamepad guns like Hand Cannons and Scouts feel incredibly inaccurate. Hand Cannons in particular suffer major issues due to Bungie's mechanics like Bloom, Recoil, Initial Shot Accuracy, present when using a Gamepad, and seemingly not when using M/KB. This is one of the reason's with Destiny 2 in particular you are seeing Weapons Meta's of Auto Rifles and SMG's on Consoles with Shotguns/Fusions/Rockets as Power Ammo, and frequently seeing Hand Cannon, Scouts, and Sniper Rifles as Power Weapons on PC more frequently when they aren't touched anymore on Consoles. With such low Aim Assist, only Scouts like Mida with 100 Aim Assist are really good, and both Hand Cannon's and Sniper Rifles are more or less unusable on Consoles.

But, all of that said, I'm not sure how Destiny 2 compares to most other FPS's, as I've never cared to dive into system of another game like I have with Destiny. I know that most of Destiny's Aim Assist is Cross-Hair Slowdown, with a little bit of Reticle Stickyness (though more often than not this causes more issues than it helps because it's target based rather than Crit based, and a target moving in front of another often jerks your aim a bit), with extremely limited bullet magnetism (in all reality Bungie's Bloom and Intitial Shot Accuracy mechanic work actively against any BM that may exist). Where AA is probably an issue on PC is people spoofing Gamepad and using M/KB, because the same player with a M/KB has a sizable advantage over a Gamepad player. Bungie talked about this awhile back, basically saying that doing this come with the same disadvantage using a Gamepad does, like Recoil, Bloom, etc. So they don't plan do really crack down on that unless it becomes a glaring problem.

Note: Basically Initial Shot Accuracy is Bungie's term for the fact that while using a Gamepad, where a bullet lands is more RNG based the further you are from a target, especially with weapons with low range stats. Basically if you stand 20m from a wall with a Hand Cannon, that bullet will go where your Crosshair is the 90% of the time. At 25m, you are down to 80% of the time, and at 30m about 60% of the time. The closer you are, the less by which those missed shots will miss by, but often this is enough to make a Crit a Bodyshot or a miss entirely. Add to this their Bloom mechanic, where the accuracy cone of shots widens the faster you shoot, and successive shots with Semi-Auto weapons in Destiny start to feel wildly inaccurate, especially Hand Cannons due to low Range values. In my opinion, both of these are things that, like in Destiny 1 during Rise of Iron, Bungie needs to drastically reduce the effects of. It will help ease the burden of the lowed Aim Assist values for Destiny 2 for everything other than Sniper Rifles. This video by TripleWreck last year demonstrates the issue, coined by the community as "Ghost Bullets", that they eventually fixed in Destiny that has come back in Destiny 2.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@mike: There are like 7 or more mechanical stats that come into play with accuracy. Aim assist, magnetism, lock-on, bullet direction and others I don't remember. Most of that stuff is non-existent on PC, but is immediately activated as soon as you plug in a controller and use it. I wouldn't call it heavy in the sense that not having the reticule on your target will still make you miss. But it helps getting your reticule on the target, which is something controllers just need in order to feel good. With KB/M, it would only get in the way. So it's not really a matter of making it easier for controllers to compete, it's just that they need it, where mice need it to not be there.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

As far as PVE, I would enjoy target acquisition/tracking less with a controller. I really like the dexterity of tracking 1:1 with my hand rather than pointing the crosshair towards a direction. On top of that, part of the fun is tracking those headshots, not getting close enough and having it give it to me. I'm also someone that finds M+K comfortable enough.

thetankengine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one of two games that's the exception, the other and PUBG, but I exclusively use a controller over mouse and keyboard. Its just better, I think one of the advantages of console first development has been a refinement of physical interface design, no more control schemes where every button on the keyboard does something different.

Also lots of games benefit from having analogue control (driving, sneaking, etc) that I'm surprised no gaming keyboard has come out with analogue WASD buttons.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one feature of using a gamepad that mouse and keyboard users are completely missing out in is rumble. it doesn't really affect gameplay, but it definitely adds to the immersion.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, nearly two weeks in and it's been absolutely fine. Holding my own in Crucible, probably making a few people curse the aim assist, which is much noticeable compared to using controllers in other PC shooters. I certainly don't feel that I am hindering team mates in PvE or PvP, even had the odd MVP, which has been nice. Maybe, once it feels a bit more natural using a M+K combo for me, I'll relent but it's been far less of a hindrance using a pad once I was more familiar with the flow of the game again. Now to earn more clan stuffs for the GBEU group!

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished Devil May Cry 3 on keyboard, so you can do whatever you want.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wardcleaver

Do whatever you want, duder. I no longer play games on PC, but when I did it was usually with a controller. Actually, I am probably the opposite of most: I was more likely to play single-player games with a M & KB, but almost always used a controller for MP. I get that a mouse has faster aiming, however using the keyboard for other functions always felt a little clumsy to me. It just never felt totally right.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I play Destiny 2 and Warframe on the controller. YOLO?

Avatar image for thievingsince95
    thievingsince95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way the aim assist is setup for gamepad use on the PC for Destiny 2 makes that a totally viable choice, even in PvP, which was really surprising to me. It's amazing, but Destiny 2 on PC really is the best version of the game, even if you never play with M/KB

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.