Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Well, We are 3 (it's 2) months in on Destiny 2 for Console.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By Monopolized

Well Yesterday was the 60th day of the life of Destiny 2 on a console and if I am being honest the game has had its fair share of ups and downs and I apologize in advance for the rant I am about to go on.

I currently sit around 285 on two characters, with hopes of doing the raid as soon as I find people playing who are well looking at doing the raid as it seems that a large portion of people playing watched a Twitch stream, or the videos here on Giantbomb and went "Wow.. that doesn't look fun at all" and to be honest it doesn't and after doing it once, you really never want to see that place again but that's not to say the raid is "bad" it's is just very limited in what it gives to the player in a game that's primarily about shooting things and watching numbers pop off of them. Follow me here for a second. This is the second game of god knows how many and we have had 4 raids and while that might not seem like many it definitely shortens the list of what "new" things we could see and what "fun" things we could see because Destiny 2 is a first-person shooter and the fun part is shooting and that's what a lot of people come to the game for, if the design moves to too many puzzle-type mechanics the people who enjoy shooting will get bored and if events and raids just become the equivalent of a "horde" mode with monsters spewing out of as many doors as they can fit inside the level, well I am not sure that will be too fun either and while we could bring back mechanics in the first game, that is only going to come off as lazy and with how the game how the core of this game actually plays here lies the biggest problem.

We are 90 days into a game that boils down to. Walk here, talk to this guy, shoot this, guard that, go home and to top all of that off I am not sure there is an interesting place you travel to in any of these events. None of the places you seem to go in a Strikes or Nightfalls play any different than each other and only look different in minimal ways and goes a lot like this: "Oh this one is the Cabal one, it's looks like a spaceship" "Oh here is the Fallen one, put some vines on everything and have the spaceships be old and crashed" "Yeah!, the vex one .. lets go underground where are the stone is rectangular" and honestly I couldn't tell you how many there actually are because I always seem to get the same ones which are: "big Vex guy who makes the floor vanish" and "witty line about there being a second tank".

Now I understand that there are 5 of them and you would think that at this point I would have seen them all but no that has not been the case and I get that you shouldn't be able to choose which strike you do, as people would just find the easiest one and grind it all day but if I finish a strike I should never get the same strike again in the same queue until I see the other 4 and at this moment what is the point of even doing these strikes if the Public Events on any of the planets yield the same if not better rewards in a shorter time period for sometimes zero effort now.

Now that I have calmed down let us see if we can isolate some of these issues and see if there is a fix.

The Content Problem

Destiny 2 from the moment you finish the campaign has a major content problem, there are a total of 5 Strikes, that you may or may not get to see all of in a period of time, a Nightfall that you can do each week and the raid, all of this can be done on Tuesday the day it resets and you have no reason to actually come back and play because once you get to light 280+ you can do everything in the game and you don't really need to "progress" further.

No that doesn't mean that we need "more and unique" things to do, we just need a better reason to do the content that is currently in the game and just getting new guns is not worth that because most of the equipment that you get is turned into a small increase in your bar at the Gunsmith and I am not sure how many times someone can do that before they just decide "I don't really need to play during this reset" and at this moment the PVP is much of the game, you spend a lot of time getting materials to provide to the Gunsmith.

The PVP..Oh man the PVP

Bungie is no stranger to competitive first-person shooters, and of course that shows in the PVP the game plays very well, all of the classes have really great movement though I tend to prefer the Hunter because, the hunter has a jump like an actual factual jump, maybe it's just me but in a firefight I am quite terrible with anything that involves hovering but this isn't really about all that.

At this moment 90 days into the life of this game, the PVP meta is starting to get a bit stale and we hope that maybe a patch is in order that changes how weapons act when in PVP, as currently, the Auto Rifles that are higher than 450 are incredible to the point where you might only lose the fight you are in because the other guys weapon shoots faster than yours does weapons like the Scathelocke which is the only 600 RPM I have used at this time seems to be incredible at almost any range at any time in any situation and while having a gun like that isn't a bad thing but the "bad thing" is that currently one of the best guns in the game for PVP is basically handed to you and it's not that the gun itself is that crazy as there are gun like Armillary-PSU which is as good if not better than the Mida.

Though the Mida might have one of the best perks in Mida-Radar which allows you to see the radar while you are aiming down your weapon sights which is huge in the PVP environment ..and with that you see the matches start to become very stale, since the bar you need to surpass to get the Mida-Multi-Tool is rather small the only thing that you need to is keep scout rifles and be able to use a weapon to kill Fallen which is pretty low bar to get a gun that is so good. So with being the case you see it all over the place and those fights can start to get very stale and it's I hope that is something that gets fixed here soon. In the future, I wouldn't mind seeing a system in place where the exotics also have a downside that comes with the upside they bring as well but then again I guess the upside would need to be very good to outweigh any negative that you would put on those items.

Now I don't want to come off with the typical "This feels like a .5" argument but I am not sure we are too far past that at this moment the first game had longevity because it was " a new thing" and you didn't mind that there wasn't much to do because you were happy with the same content over and over again but I don't believe they have that benefit here now and I am hoping that we get to see a large content patch in 2-3 months that brings some new life into this game as signing in every Tuesday isn't really doing it for me anymore, and it isn't doing it for most of my playgroup which has almost completely fallen off.

Maybe it's something that I come back to but there are so many games coming out the claws that Destiny 1 had in me might not be there this time and that's a shame.

((If you read this, thanks it's a bit all over the place as I have not written anything in a long time but it's something that I would like to start doing more frequently))

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a PC player - so about two weeks in at this point. I did the raid for the first time Sunday night and had a lot of fun, so you should give it a try! I think it works a lot better having at least 2-3 people who can explain the mechanics before a fight, as well as reading up beforehand. I think progression is a little weird, in that you get to Power Level 265-270 and there are only three activities that can get you better gear (nightfall, raid, and weekly clan activities), and those you can only do once a week. In some ways that works better for me, because I no longer have the time in my life to devote to WoW, but I could see the people who want to keep playing each week disappointed they can't get better gear.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By nophilip

We're 2 months in? It's been 62 days since the game came out.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nophilip: certainly doesn't feel that way. The game is 100% dead for me and my entire clan. People who spent a minimum of 1500 hours each in Destiny 1.

As for the point of this thread, could you put some periods in your post man? This text without punctuation is breaking my mind

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nophilip: lol you're right, my math in the morning was Stepember, October, November.. that's 3 .. and 30 days 90days!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

A lot of this is completely unreadable thanks to the fact you only use 1 full stop in a paragraph, however I think I agree with what you're saying? Although personally I think the PvP is trash, but then again so was D1. I miss Halo.

@nophilip said:

We're 2 months in? It's been 62 days since the game came out.

To be honest, if that's the case its even more disappointing. I haven't even launched the game for 2 or 3 weeks at this point because there is no reason for me to log on anymore. Sigh.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: yeah I hear you, I woke up this morning looked at destiny 2 on my Xbox and just felt like I needed to write. I find punctuation very difficult I was told when I was young "put a comma where you would stop and take a breath" .. and my response was "but I don't need to take a breath.."

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

I got in on PC, but, yeah. I can't really begrudge people for holding off until the expansions drop or just look for other shooters to play. The post game stuff is fun to do over the course of few weeks. But over the course of two months or so, and as someone who isn't crazy about PvP in games in general? Again, can't blame 'em.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@facelessvixen: yeah, I very much enjoy the PVP but it's not something I find myself coming to every day because it never really feels like you are getting anywhere, which is a shame because it feels very good when you do play it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Endgame is considerably worse than Destiny 1, PVP is considerably worse than Destiny 1, loot system is considerably worse than Destiny 1.

Either the game gets fixed, or it's dead to me, along with any future DLC.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nothing I've read here or heard elsewhere has made me want to play Destiny 2 much. Seems like they tried to please everyone and in the process ended up pleasing no one.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OurSin_360

Seems on par with the first but not leaving people as angry as the first one did when we got tired of it. Seems like it is probably worth the price this time around at least with dlc adding more content over time. The first game left me feeling like wtf am i doing with my life before I quit, felt like I paid 60 for half a game. Man those bounties were the worst thing ever.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@monopolized: Are you on PS4? We are doing a Raid with partially newbies and partially raid veterans this Sunday. We still have an open spot, you are welcome to fill it. We're good guides if I may brag.

My thoughts on the game are too long to type, but I wrote this review. I really like the game, but it does have some issues.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Monopolized

@zevvion: Thanks for the offer but I am on xbox one D:

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By devilzrule27

My biggest gripe with destiny 2 is that they rendered doing strikes completely worthless. There just isn't a point to it. They also need to diversify their content. Strikes are pretty much just go somewhere and shoot things. They should make them like bite sized raids for smaller teams. Also the game could probably use a hoard mode like gears. Thought that about Destiny 1 but it never came. Overall I don't think there is a huge lack of content but there is a lack of anything to drive you to do that content.

As for PVP i think its alright. Not as fun as late destiny 1 after it got a little better about shotguns and snipers, but that was by no means perfect either. I'm ok with them wanting to shift the focus to more team style play, thats their choice. I do dislike how I cant select the mode I want to play. I hate the changes they made to Zones and I'm not into the bomb defusing mode.

galerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the end game got screwed over majorly by the current loot pools. Truth be told, D1 would also have this problem if not for the randomized stats on equipments. When I heard Bungie is dropping the randomized stats, I expect them to have a lot more custom equipments (at least on the weapon side).

PvP wise, if you are solo queuing and you want to win, you are really limited in your playstyle. In terms of the meta, it is fine compare to D1(blink shotgun, double tap Thorn, freaking OHK body shot sniper). I hope they can bring back the lethality back to something like a 3 taps with Old Fashioned/Better Devils (2HS, 1 body).

Yes, I like HC. Sue me.

Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered, played the story to conclusion and stopped.

My friends haven't bought Destiny 2 yet as I pretty much told them to wait until there is more and better content and its a bit cheaper. No strikes, raiding or pvp. I just went back to Destiny 1 where my stuff is.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've been playing it everyday since launch for the most part. I got 3 characters up to 305 and have done the raid close to 20 times now. (Just need 1 more trophy for the platinum!) Having been apart of the Gb Destiny discord and mingling with the clans in it have made the game so much fun for me and dramatically extended it's life in my gaming schedule. Getting through the raid for the first time was definitely tough, but so satisfying to finish. After that the path to getting all its gear got easier and easier. There's a real learning curve to the encounters and when you get used to them they are like clockwork to get through. You can actually get better at it and eventually it becomes a cakewalk; which is one of the reasons I love it so much. (I think the fastest time my group did it was a little over an hour) Prestige on leviathan had been a beast to finish, but I had fun doing it. The satisfaction in completing it was like doing the raid for the first time again. And now the raid challenges have been fun twists on the encounters that I look forward to each week. I can easily see myself playing this game ongoing as long as the expansion, and content in between give incentive to keep playing (fun gear grind, new armor and weapons, new areas, modes, events, etc.) I really like collecting as much as I can in this game and filling out the boxes on what's left. It really satisfies a part of my Ocd.

Now, with all that said; the endgame does have its share of problems. As far as I can tell, the main point of the end game is collecting a bunch of gear, min maxing stats/mods for each class, playing with other people in the clans (friendship is the real reward ;), and getting really into the pvp. If you don't care about that there's tons of adventures and world quests after the campaign that have story and can expand on the characters, but the end result of those is just more gear; and if you've hit the cap and don't care about collecting there's not much incentive. All in all, I think Destiny 2 is a much better game than the first at launch and I've had a wonderful time with it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

No strikes, raiding or pvp.

I imagine you just mean you don't like any of that content. The way you phrase it sounds like it isn't in the game.

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had fun running the raid with my clan like 4 times, then games came out and that game is gone from my mind completely.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JasonMasters

PC player here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caveats:

WoW raider for a decade

We had someone very clearly explain the mechanics of each encounter of the Leviathan.

Played around 300 hours of the Destiny 1 and did most of the raids at least once.

I run the Wiping With Style clan

I have a pretty active clan (GB folks and WoW guildies)

Clan Discord

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have put about 60 hours into Destiny 2 and I (and my guildies) are really enjoying. I have two characters above 290 and have done the raid (I streamed it for Extra Life) and really enjoyed it. While it is a bit heavier of the puzzle mechanics compared to previous raids, it is still super fun (see caveats). Stumbling through (the Giant Bomb way) has its place, but we don't have time for that. I absolutely plan to do that raid more and on more characters.

Having a social space for the clan makes a huge difference, for group finding if no other reason.

Strikes are a bummer. The Destiny 1 strikes were way better/had more interesting settings.

I don't PVP if I can help it.

Despite my personal views, I can TOTALLY see folks being done with this game at this point, which is why the Expansion is coming out soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.