Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 06, 2017

The full-fledged follow-up to Bungie's sci-fi "looter shooter", streamlining much of the previous game's mechanics while featuring larger worlds and new abilities. It was later made free-to-play.

Worth playing vanilla Destiny 2 end game content now that Curse of Osiris is out?

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just wrapped up Destiny 2's campaign and hit the level cap. I think my power level is around 200. Is it worth digging into the end game content of vanilla Destiny 2, or will Curse of Osiris instantly invalidate all of it?

I should note that I'm a pretty casual Destiny player. Never got into Destiny 1, and I'm probably going to hold off on picking up the expansion until some general impressions roll in.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pyrodactyl

From what I understand, most of the end game loop has been converted to fit within the curse of osiris. That means that you won't be able to play most of it without the expansion. You can still probably play the quest chains that give you some unique guns but that's mostly it.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Zevvion

@flatblack: You can still do it, but you only have access to Vanilla endgame content. Which means if the Nightfall is a Strike from Curse of Osiris, you won't be able to do it that week since you don't own it. You can do the Raid, but only on Normal and that has increased in Power to 300 so you'll have to grind for longer until you are able to.

For this week that means you can do the Nightfall and you can do the Raid, but you have a long way to grind since you need to be 300 Power for those now.

I would also mention it is a live game, the endgame has to move as the game moves. You can't expect to do endgame content when you're only playing the old stuff. That wouldn't make sense and would actually invalidate people buying the new content.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: So long story short, I shouldn't really worry about doing patrols or anything if I think I'll eventually pick up the expansion because it'll quickly trivialize any vanilla loot I pick up?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Based on the way loot works in Destiny 2 versus the original Destiny, my assumption would be that Curse of Osiris items are just going to be different, not necessarily better. Just about everything in the game is tuned to whatever level you currently are, including the enemies you fight to a degree. If you had Osiris, the Osiris drops would be at your current level I assume.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@zevvion: Bumping the recommended power level of content that was in the base game is pretty shitty, though.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@flashflood_29: Yeah, there are a lot of people on Reddit up in Arms about the fact that before yesterday they could do the Prestige Raid, and now it's impossible. For reference though, it should now be much easier to grind up to those levels if you do indeed want play Curse down the road. Rare softcap was raised to 300 Power, and Legendary Vendor softcap is now at 305, so it should be much easier to hit those levels now. For reference, before yesterday those softcaps were 260 and 265. I'm not sure though how the Leviathan Raid works for those without Curse of Osiris, as CoO owners get up to 330 gear from the Raid, but since they locked non DLC owners to 305 Max, I don't know that it's possibly for you to go past a 300 drop (outside of the obvious Mod 305 drops). If you get Curse now though you can work on a couple things, hitting the new Level 25 Cap, and that grind to 335. If not just grind up to 300 if you plan on ever playing Curse or another DLC. Curse is seeming to be rather weak right now, but the Raid Lair looks pretty cool. If someone wasn't planning on Raiding, I'd recommend skipping Osiris though, it's pretty weak outside of the Raid Lair, even if it was an interesting little short Campaign, it doesn't really justify its $15 or $20 price (depending on if you bought the Season Pass, I'm justifying this as my $15 of the $35 pass, because it barely seems to be worth that so far).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: So long story short, I shouldn't really worry about doing patrols or anything if I think I'll eventually pick up the expansion because it'll quickly trivialize any vanilla loot I pick up?

No, because you can infuse the Vanilla gear you obtain once you get the DLC. I have one new weapon from Curse of Osiris that slightly outperforms my usual set up. Otherwise I am still using the same guns so far.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So, from what I'm reading, if I thought Destiny 2's end game was crap, this probably won't do much to sway me...

I enjoyed Destiny 1 enough (post-Taken King), that I preordered the edition with the season pass to save a few bucks.

I'm dumbfounded that they botched the landing so hard. If they fix it, I guess I'll have some backlog content to play, at least.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zevvion

@fredddi43: There are two new Strikes. Supposedly. I have only seen one of them so far.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@nutter: If you already own it, like I do, the Campaign is good, so it's probably worth a look-see. There are really good parts, and some rather bleh moments, just like normal Destiny story stuff. Nothing really sticks out as fantastic, but it does a solid job. I'd go so far as to say I probably enjoyed it more than Destiny 2's story, but it's only 8 missions. The Heroic Adventures, which I hadn't played yet when I posted are actually pretty well done. It adds another hour to 90 minutes of content depending on how fast you run through them, and they are very good. The lone Lost Sector was very disappointing, but Lost Sectors are what they are anyways, so not much of a loss there. The big question mark right now is how good will the Raid Lair be. If it's great, and Raid Quality content, like it appears to be here (at 1:20, those environments look pretty cool and it's definitely a more engine room vibe for the Leviathan World Eating Ship), then I can see Curse having real teeth to it. But we will see on that tomorrow. One of the better reviews I've seen so far was from Datto. Curse just seems to be missing the gravy, where's my gravy?

Loading Video...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hestilllives19: I own it, and I think I have a couple of friends that do as well. I'll see if we can check it out one of these nights (if schedules align).

It doesn't sound like it'll make me more positive on Destiny 2 overall, but that there's some fun to be had.

Thanks!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

How does Bungie get away with some of these expansions? So little content from what I've read, yet they charge full price. Some games get free updates that have more content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.