Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

100+ things that would make Destiny a better game!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'd like to say that I actually really enjoy playing Destiny. I played through the whole game with my friends, and it was and still is a blast. That being said, there are a lot of disappointing aspects to Destiny as well. Here are some of the things that I think Destiny could have done in order to be a better game. Feel free to add your own points as well and lets see if there truly are 100+ things about Destiny that could be improved.

1. Cutscenes: Destiny feels like it has a rich world, filled with many characters and lore. But the delivery mechanism of this story is mostly through the Ghost, who vaguely explains some details to the player, while they are loading into a new level. It's too much talk and not enough show. This is an easy remedy; stick to the tried and true formula of using cutscenes. If Destiny showed us some of the stuff that it talked about instead of just talking about it, there would be a far greater sense of world instilled in the player. The few cutscenes that Destiny does have are easily some of the best story moments in the game. More Queen anyone?

2. More Loot: The amount of loot that drops from enemies is really disappointing. You could farm for hours post level 20 and still be rolling around with green or blue gear. Even playing through the Crucible doesn't give enough gear. The amount of loot dropping should be significantly increased, even if most it is garbage. That way even if you do get garbage drops, you can still dismantle them and get useful parts for crafting.

3. Crafting: You should be able to get weapons in more ways then just getting loot or buying them from vendors. If Bungie doesn't want to increase the weapon drops in the game, they should at least have different crafting components drop, which can then be traded in for actual weapons. I'm not talking trading in some random Spinmetal and getting marks and then getting weapons. I'm talking actual variety in weapon parts.

4. Customizing Weapons/Armor: As an extension to crafting, players should be able to customize weapons. Instead of having the same gun drop over and over again with some slight difference to stats that barely amount to anything, players should be able to use weapon parts that they find as drops in the game to customize their weapons. New sights, new silencers, new alt fire options, new modifiers, new skins, new everything. It should be customizable in such a way that even if two people have the same base gun, what they have done to it through customization would make them act wildly different. Those same ideas should be applied to armor; instead of having armor with preset modifiers that randomly drop, the player should be able to min max how they want their character to feel and look. Individual gear shaders would be cool too.

5. Loot Trading with Friends: There are times when you as a player just seem to be having terrible luck, but your friend is getting a bunch of loot that he or she doesn't want. You should be able to trade loot with your buddies in order to help each other out. You moving on to Exotic gear? How about passing on your old Legendary why don't ya?

These are a few of the things that I've been thinking about on how to make Destiny a better game. There are probably tons more that I'm not even thinking of at this moment.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

6. Space dolphins

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

7. Replace the Paul Mccartney end credit song with "Live and Let Die"(performed by Guns N' Roses).

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

8. Mission Variety - You are constantly doing the same thing over and over again in Destiny. Something to freshen things up a bit would be nice.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

9. More awesome lighting effects integrated into missions - I think the lighting and shadows are one of the best parts of this game. It's great running along and seeing your shadow move about, or even better still seeing a Vandal move around chasing you via its shadow. Early in the game is a mission where the Hive are attacking you in the dark, you only have your flashlight/ghost to guide you. I thought "this is freaking cool". I think only one part of one mission after that had anything similar. The rest was just stock standard levels.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

10. Actually having an MMO like open world to explore. You can explore Mars, Venus, Earth in this game. Yea not really, just some open spaces connected by tunnels or corridors because it has to load the other open space (seriously if you go too fast you actually see a loading text).

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By impartialgecko

11. Not having to bump out to orbit between quests: Instead, have hubs on each of the planets where you go back to in order to turn in and pick up quests so you can spend more time in the world and less time in 2 minute+ loading screens. It would give the game a chance to make its world seem like an actual place if I hadn't spent something like 2-3 of my 30 hours in Destiny in loading screens between the citadel and the planets. Seriously, Destiny is the most disjointed and lackadaisically-paced game I've played in over a decade.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

12. Pulling a Reaper of Souls.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By reisz

13. Access all the benefits of The Tower from a menu - I actually love going to the last city, but having to travel back there after every engram, for every bounty and to get anything other than shooting done is just a bummer, it contracts the universe and diminishes the sense of scale and importance they tried so hard to build. Alternatively; make the same benefits available inside your ship as well, Mass Effect style. They could even tie things like storage space and vault access to different ships.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

14. The option for matchmaking in all modes - for those of us playing the story missions, who don't have friends that are playing Destiny, but still want to get the full experience. Having to send an invite to random people you come across feels unnecessary and can be a little tedious. There's the crap shoot they may already be in a fire team or they might just ignore you altogether. It seems like it'd be a given option right off the bat.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

15. Some fucking indication when the patrol mission I'm doing on your supposedly level 12 planet is actually to kill a bunch of level 25 assholes thankyouverymuch - It's possible I'm blind and that this exists somewhere, but man does it cheese me when I truck my way halfway across the map through a bunch of fucking tunnels only to see a bunch of laughably unkillable enemies sitting on top of my target.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

16. Tools that make being in a clan actually useful - why is there no calender where people can put up a time that they want to play and other people can sign up to play with them?

Why can't you see a list of your clan members online while in game and invite them in game, you can do this online or via the app, but not in game.

Why can't you set a status on your profile to say what it is you're looking to do, for example "looking for raid", "looking for strike", "looking for patrol", "looking for pvp".

Why does a game so much about playing with other people lack the most basic of tools to play with them? I don't care that there's no match making, but even with clans it's a case of going onto a separate entity away from the game and shouting in an echo chamber hoping others will see it and reply.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

17. Replace Peter Dinklage with Charlie Day - It is very clear Dinklage didn't really give a shit during his VO sessions and was only hired because he had nerd cred for being on Game of Thrones. So I was playing last night and one my friends said that Ghost should have a manic energy about it. We got to thinking and Charlie Day clearly fills that role. He can be manic but has enough sense to not cross the annoying line like a John Leguizamo.

Also the voice cast has a bunch of great character actors in the cast like Lance Reddick (The Wire), Peter Stormare (Fargo), James Remar (The Warriors), and of course nerd favorite Nathan Fillion but they hardly use them. Which just seems like a huge waste.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

18. More combat sandboxiness, throw some vehicles, explosive barrels, barriers, and turrets down in the stock level geometry to mix it up a bit. Go Forge on that ass, Bungie. That would go a super long way toward both mixing up the same old levels and mission types.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

- Remove some the MMO expectations and add more RPG bits
    * More choices for body, height, face in character creation
    * More clothing and armor options
    * Make your Ghost a character you always see buzzing around, give the Ghost a holographic projection of a body when talking to you....give ist more character and don't have it always talking just in your ear as some unseen voice. MAKE ME CARE ABOUT IT!!!!

* More dialogue and missions in town with more life-like NPCs in town.
    * A bit more choice and linking efforts to story...if I nail a mission make it change the story, if I fail make it have another chnage.
    * Quadruple the missions areas on Earth to reduce covering the same ground
    * Double the missions areas on the Moon, Mars, and Venus.
    * Tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end for this first game. Make hooks for the next few games, but this game NEEDS its own story arc w/ beginning-middle-end.
    * Stop dicking around, all DLC content should fit into the story arc presented by the main game...NOT complete the main game's story. The main game should be a satisfying narrative form beginning to end with DLC just adding extras and adding is mysterious details the first game might have presented.

I'm glad Bungie missed its bonus for overall score, they need to wake the hell up!!! This is 2014 you can't half-ass a game this badly..well they can, they made a ton of money. However, I hope that loss of a bonus shakes some sense into them.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

19. 8-12 months of patches and DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

ive not played the game but it seems like the most overly-hyped game with not much meat on its bones in recent memory. everyone was so excited and it sold huge though all i ever hear is everyone's "meh" reactions

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

ive not played the game but it seems like the most overly-hyped game with not much meat on its bones in recent memory. everyone was so excited and it sold huge though all i ever hear is everyone's "meh" reactions

I think Destiny is an above average game. It isn't terrible and there are fun moments to be had but Activision/Bungie pulled a huge Peter Molyneux.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

20. Beards

When I can't make a convincing Abraham Lincoln with your character creator, something I do in every game that offers it, your game has failed me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.