Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Destiny: Did you get to visit the moon?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Destiny: Did you get to visit the moon? (252 votes)

Yes. I was lucky enough to have heard about it in advance. 25%
    Yes. I knew something was supposed to happen then, but I didn't know what. 13%
    Yes. I just happened to be playing when it became available. 3%
    Yes. I played the mission, but didn't realize there was much more to explore. 12%
    No. I wanted to play it, but I couldn't make it at that time. 18%
    No. I knew about it, but didn't realize when it was happening. 4%
    No. I just thought the special event was going to be an emblem. 5%
    No. I knew about the moon event, but I just didn't care. 6%
    No. I had no idea there was going to be an event. 15%

On Saturday, the developers of Destiny unlocked a single mission from the game's moon level, but it was only available for two hours in the afternoon. Anyone who managed to play during that time also is supposed to receive an in-game emblem marking the event. After the two hours, the beta continued, but the moon was locked.

But not everyone is off on weekends, so some players were pretty understandably unhappy that the event was only available for a short time. Adding to the frustration is the fact that many players played the mission, but didn't explore the area after that. There was a massive amount of content that could be missed that way, including a huge amount of underground scenery.

To see just how many people missed out, I thought it would be interesting to have a poll.

• 
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I didn't know there was going to be an event. This sounds like something they should have opened up for a day or so. I guess they were trying to get as many users to log on at one time as possible.

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was aware that something special was going to happen on Saturday and that many believed they'd unlock the moon. It sounded cool but I had no idea (nor did anyone, I think) that there'd be a time limit attached to it. I just figured that it'd be available for the rest of the beta. Unfortunately missed out. I would have liked to check it out. I enjoyed my time in the beta.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By micemoney

I didn't know that they were doing all that honestly. I had read previously that it was just going to be the emblem, so I made no specific plans to log in by a certain time Saturday. Just wasn't a huge deal for me. Once I found out about it, it was too late (late Saturday night) I was pretty bummed out. When I first started the beta, I saw the moon option available and got pretty fucking stoked, because all I thought you had to do was reach level 6 for access. REALLY wish they left it open for the rest of the day, or at least made sure that people were informed about the specifics more ahead of time.

I know the release date isn't too far off, but it's still a bit of a bummer. Didn't think I would be into this game that much...looks like I am.

Avatar image for mst3k_tom_servo
    MST3K_TOM_SERVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to the moon and shot a bunch of dudes and then i went back to earth and shot a bunch of dudes. I liked shooting dudes on the moon slightly more.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hadn't read bungie.net (where they stated Friday that the moon would be open), so it was a nice surprise having a big new area to explore. I don't know how you could have missed all the messages (and an email) that they were having a special event Saturday.

I completed the mission once and immediately replayed it, ignored the first objective, then proceeded to explore most of the moon area on foot. I can see why some people are mad that the mission was only available for 2 hours, but if you didn't explore the map then that's the player's fault, not Bungie's.

When I started exploring I expected to have the 10 second death walls everywhere, but I was surprised to find that most areas were available, with only a few obvious closed doors deep in Hellmouth.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

nope was not following bnet all that much. but definitely looks pretty from screenshots

may be squished on your low res screens.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ran it twice. I was hoping to run into some other players the second time, but even despite encountering a public event I didn't see anyone, so I didn't bother exploring much. I really don't think anyone missed much by not exploring thoroughly in the beta.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's on the players for not exploring the map and rushing straight to the end of the mission. My friend and I took our time looking around every cave for loot and checking out the scenery wherever we could. Not to mention that you can do that mission repeatedly. We ended up replaying it three times, and the last two times were just us venturing inside an underground Hive base. It was creepy and pretty cool, even if we would constantly run into dead ends and locked doors.

Also for those complaining about how they opened it up for only two hours, this was their test to see how their servers will be able to handle a massive amount of people playing a game in a certain period of time. Unlocking the Moon was an incentive for the players who have played a lot of the game to log back in. Having the mission open up for the entire day would deter people from logging in during that two hours and spread thin the number of log-ins thereby negating the whole test. It's not like the mission is exclusive to the beta either, you will get to the moon when the game comes out.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeah, I knew it was happening, but I'm always out with my family at that time on the weekends.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I knew about it, I had nothing going on and could have played it, but I didn't.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

I knew about it and was there in time, but I waited for a friend to come so we can play it together and they locked it before we had time to play it. I thought Bungie would make it available again the final day of the beta but nnnnope.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aceofspudz

But not everyone is off on weekends, so some players were pretty understandably unhappy that the event was only available for a short time. Adding to the frustration is the fact that many players played the mission, but didn't explore the area after that. There was a massive amount of content that could be missed that way, including a huge amount of underground scenery.

I don't actually think being unhappy about a time-limited event because you had to go to work is 'understandable'. The only thing to understand is that working is a decision people make that results in them not being able to use their time for other things. It's called an opportunity cost.

It's not Bungie's fault you were sitting at a cash register when they ran their event. You made that decision to work those hours, and the world is not required to bend around it. Some things you'll just miss out on. Who doesn't understand this?

The people who ran the event and went unrewarded for their lack of curiosity should probably take it to heart rather than blaming someone else. Bungie delivered them a valuable life lesson as far as I'm concerned.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the mission, didn't explore the environment.

Not really mad about it, I need something to do with the game after I buy it, you know?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I had been wondering why the last story mission on the moon wasn't unlocked, but I knew that there was going to be some PVP stuff on Saturday. I took a break from PVP and noticed the moon was open so I went for it and found the trail the Guardian had left.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@aceofspudz said:

I don't actually think being unhappy about a time-limited event because you had to go to work is 'understandable'. The only thing to understand is that working is a decision people make that results in them not being able to use their time for other things. It's called an opportunity cost.

It's not Bungie's fault you were sitting at a cash register when they ran their event. You made that decision to work those hours, and the world is not required to bend around it. Some things you'll just miss out on. Who doesn't understand this?

The people who ran the event and went unrewarded for their lack of curiosity should probably take it to heart rather than blaming someone else. Bungie delivered them a valuable life lesson as far as I'm concerned.

1) I wasn't working.

2) I played the moon, and explored the area fully.

3) I'm able to understand that running an extremely limited timed event on the last day of your beta--and not explaining a thing about that event until the day before it started--might be a good way to test your servers, but it's also a good way to disappoint potential customers.

For me personally, I never read the Bungie blog, so I only knew the two things that the game told me. Play at a specific time for a special reward, and that the beta would end on Sunday. I played the moon once, and almost quit right then with the idea that I'd play a bit more later. Thankfully, I decided to go back and explore, because the game sure didn't tell me that the level would only be unlocked for two hours.

Everything went right for me, but I can still understand the disappointment of those who missed out, and I can still criticize Bungie for the way they handled the situation.

@legend said:

I knew about it and was there in time, but I waited for a friend to come so we can play it together and they locked it before we had time to play it. I thought Bungie would make it available again the final day of the beta but nnnnope.

A perfect example. Loads of people had no idea that content would be added at all, much less that it would only be available for two hours. Both of these facts were only announced a day before on the Bungie blog.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

@bigjeffrey: last shot: that is one low-orbiting moon station...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I knew about it but had family stuff to do so missed it.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I didn't know about it, not that I would have been able attend the event.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I explored the hell out of it. Killed some new enemies and found an emblem in a hidden chest. It's a bunny emblem, so of course I'm rocking it!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fattony12000

Yup.

Although I don't know about the lucky bit in your statement "Yes. I was lucky enough to have heard about it in advance.", though. They made it rather clear through various channels that something was gonna be going down, or so I thought.

Play Destiny today (7/26) at 2PM Pacific. Earn permanent rewards that you'll enjoy beyond the Beta. Explore the Moon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152264354571149

We’re even sending you on a new story mission. For this one, you’ll be glad you scrounged that jump drive from the wastes of the Cosmodrome. You don’t need us to tell you where you’re headed. We’ve marked it on the map since the moment when the Beta Build became a secret whispered about by only our friends and family. This new destination will be open to you for two hours.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---07252014/en/News/News?aid=11963

NeoGAF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858529

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I had to work.

At least it's just an emblem and nothing major.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: Minor disappointment would be understandable (in a "Oh shucks, that's too bad" kinda way), but anyone who is legitimately angry or upset has issues. It's not like you got anything special for completing it, it was just an early look at a level everyone will play in little over a month. The only part of the whole thing that actually "mattered" was the special beta emblem that will carry over, and you only had to log-in for that.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

No, I didn't notice that I could go there.

I'm not even sure I got the emblem. I played during the specified time, and it popped up a message like "Play the beta during this time to get an emblem thing!" but I don't think it directly confirmed that I got it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaLe

Played the mission once and then explored the whole area and found a sweet cat emblem in a golden case. Mission was great, really enjoyed it.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I didn't notice that I could go there.

I'm not even sure I got the emblem. I played during the specified time, and it popped up a message like "Play the beta during this time to get an emblem thing!" but I don't think it directly confirmed that I got it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@zeik said:

@spaceinsomniac: Minor disappointment would be understandable (in a "Oh shucks, that's too bad" kinda way), but anyone who is legitimately angry or upset has issues. It's not like you got anything special for completing it, it was just an early look at a level everyone will play in little over a month. The only part of the whole thing that actually "mattered" was the special beta emblem that will carry over, and you only had to log-in for that.

I pretty much agree with this, but I do think waiting until the day before to explain what would happen was a poor way to handle things.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I did. I thought it was massively underwhelming.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karkarov
    Yeah I was on the Moon.
    Yeah I was on the Moon.
    And I definitely explored it.
    And I definitely explored it.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

It was kind of a cryptic message, "play on sat for a reward" so i played at the time they advised but had guests so just long enough to get some random missions finished. It wasn't until after it closed off that i heard about the moon, would have been nice to try the area out but i guess i will be seeing it plenty when the game launches.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew about it in advance, had the time to play, did the mission on the moon once and logged out.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Franstone

"We landed on the MOON!"
    Yea, knew about it and made a point to check it out.
    Got 2 play-throughs done, first on normal, second on hard.
    Didn't have time to explore a lot after that though.
    Can't wait for more in September!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How many wizard-homes did you guys find?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fire fights on "hard" (level 9 difficulty) were actually challenging. Enjoyed it immensely.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The moon was ok, I enjoyed earth better mainly cus of the free roam public events.... That hooded character is probably pissed that you stolen the ship they were fixin' up so of course that stared at you from behind a moon rock on a rig with the "soon" look so many mysterious cloaked rogues do in RPGs...

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I got in on the moon mission and I enjoyed it. I'm curious how many unique worlds the final game will have.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I did. I thought it was massively underwhelming."

- Neil Armstrong

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I dont see what's understandable about being upset.

cashbasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to the moon. I liked it, but I tend to really like Destiny as a whole. I thought the end of the mission was particularly exciting.

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to work. I'm kinda glad I missed it, a special emblem isn't a big deal to me, and I have more to see when the game launches.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kagato said:

It was kind of a cryptic message, "play on sat for a reward" so i played at the time they advised but had guests so just long enough to get some random missions finished. It wasn't until after it closed off that i heard about the moon, would have been nice to try the area out but i guess i will be seeing it plenty when the game launches.

For you and anyone else who missed it:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I wanted to play it, but I couldn't make it at that time.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

When I played the beta Saturday it made a big to do about a crucible event so I didn't even know the moon was open.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I wanted to play, but I was sick all weekend. I honestly thought I would be able to play it on Monday...no dice. I'm a bit disappointed that the gravity on the moon wasn't different...I mean why not dial the physics down a few notches?

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i loved the game so much i kept watch on destinys and bungies twitter.so i knew in advance about the moon,and i played it and loved it like the rest of the game.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, had to leave out of town. I finished all the main content in that game in like a day, i like the game but i think this beta was pretty terrible as far as content goes. The fact they hide missions my guess is the main game will be pretty short

crcruz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crcruz3
    No Caption Provided

I've spent 8 hours total on the Moon. I did the history mission 5 times with my 3 characters and them I entered again in last minute and explored for almost 6 hours.

If you don't log out or finish the mission nobody kicks you out! Pretty cool.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did it once and it was nice. I don't know if there was an explore option available since I only did the mission once. I didn't know that they would close the moon later on so I logged out to do other stuff =(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.