Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Destiny Was Not Given A Fair Chance

• 142 results
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

This is a really silly defense of Destiny. The game is fine. No one has even said it is rubbish, just alright.

If you enjoy it, that's fantastic, but you don't have to write all this or be like that other guy who compared Destiny and Monster Hunter just to feel better about it. People feel differently about games, and that's alright. It doesn't mean they're not giving a game you like a fair chance.

Relax and have fun with Destiny. Maybe share a blog post about all you're doing in it or write a review on the wiki. Celebrate your appreciation of the game instead of stressing over it. :)

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

In order to actually experience most of the lore for Destiny you need to go on Bungie's website and read the Grimoire Cards or use the Destiny App. That is a bad implementation of story to me.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In order to actually experience most of the lore for Destiny you need to go on Bungie's website and read the Grimoire Cards or use the Destiny App. That is a bad implementation of story to me.

Yep. I shouldn't have to leave your game to read about the story of your game.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The lore in this game is so overly nerdy and dorky I just can't even...

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

A lot of those vocal complaints (i.e. "It's short" or "It doesn't explain anything") are just shorthands for people to complain about something without taking time to actually understand what is wrong with the game. This is something that happens frequently with game criticism, particularly from people who want to jump in with their opinions as fast as possible. I think that most of the people who sit down with Destiny and think out their problems with it can better elucidate why they have those issues with parts of it (if they do at all). For example, having "finished" the game now, I don't think it's short so much as thin in the variety in the content; there's plenty to do but you have to keep doing it for rep/gear/etc.

So, to sum up, your thread title is pretty on-the-nose--most people don't give a game a fair chance before they jump all over what's "wrong" with it. There are those people who can play something for an hour and go, "Yeah, I'm done with it. This isn't for me,' but they may not fully understand why the game bothers them. As long as they don't jump online to make a bunch of incorrect statements about a game, it shouldn't really bother anyone.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I agree that the game should be given a chance, yes. But I don't agree with your arguments for why the game shouldn't disappoint people. Even compared to Call of Duty, the story in Destiny takes a step backwards from the standard. It's not about the length of the story, it's about the quality and the poor lore that is delivered in the game. It's very generic. Your "just grind to get loot" argument uses the word "grind", which is what throws many people off the game. They promised this MMO-style game with loot and this big world to play in, and they didn't deliver. So yeah, people's "weird false expectations" were mostly raised there by Bungie themselves, and now everyone is reacting to the fact that Bungie didn't deliver what they were promising.

When it feels like a chore to play, it's not about "not giving it a chance", it's because the game isn't fun.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The problem with Destiny's story isn't that there's very little of it, it's that what is there is not very good. Sure, Minecraft has no story, but nobody expected it to and Notch never tried to give it one. Same with Call of Duty and Battlefield - their developers don't really try to give them a story, they just toss you into an arena and let you do your objectives. Destiny tries to give players a story and most players don't seem to think very highly of it.

You sound like you're stretching arguments to validate your opinion against Jeff's.

For the record Call of Duty and Battlefield both try REALLY hard to make good stories; they just do it in all the wrong ways.

On Topic: I have found all the reviews that I have read to have completely valid argument. With that said I am loving the game. The combat is great, the loot is enjoyable(though could be more diverse), and I absolutely adore the strike missions. I think Destiny has a lot of great ideas that they didn't fully bring together.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@ssully said:

@believer258 said:

The problem with Destiny's story isn't that there's very little of it, it's that what is there is not very good. Sure, Minecraft has no story, but nobody expected it to and Notch never tried to give it one. Same with Call of Duty and Battlefield - their developers don't really try to give them a story, they just toss you into an arena and let you do your objectives. Destiny tries to give players a story and most players don't seem to think very highly of it.

You sound like you're stretching arguments to validate your opinion against Jeff's.

For the record Call of Duty and Battlefield both try REALLY hard to make good stories; they just do it in all the wrong ways.

On Topic: I have found all the reviews that I have read to have completely valid argument. With that said I am loving the game. The combat is great, the loot is enjoyable(though could be more diverse), and I absolutely adore the strike missions. I think Destiny has a lot of great ideas that they didn't fully bring together.

OP specifically pointed out the multiplayer of those games and that's what I was referring to. I didn't make that clear, sorry.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of those vocal complaints (i.e. "It's short" or "It doesn't explain anything") are just shorthands for people to complain about something without taking time to actually understand what is wrong with the game. This is something that happens frequently with game criticism, particularly from people who want to jump in with their opinions as fast as possible. I think that most of the people who sit down with Destiny and think out their problems with it can better elucidate why they have those issues with parts of it (if they do at all). For example, having "finished" the game now, I don't think it's short so much as thin in the variety in the content; there's plenty to do but you have to keep doing it for rep/gear/etc.

So, to sum up, your thread title is pretty on-the-nose--most people don't give a game a fair chance before they jump all over what's "wrong" with it. There are those people who can play something for an hour and go, "Yeah, I'm done with it. This isn't for me,' but they may not fully understand why the game bothers them. As long as they don't jump online to make a bunch of incorrect statements about a game, it shouldn't really bother anyone.

They aren't required to though, they are consumers of a product and have every right to not like something for whatever reason.

And i feel like most reviewers gave this game more than a fair shake, most waited until they experience what they considered to be the meat of the game to review it fully. They could have easily posted a review the day of after completing the story and running a few strikes/crucible matches and never even getting to level 20. You can beat the main game at like level 17 or 18 honestly, and you dont' even get any of the good loot until after 20 so i think that's giving the game a pretty fair shake IMO.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comparisons to a Souls game? That's just wrong.

Dark Souls refuses to hold your hand - it is a conscious decision that the entire game is designed around. The most obvious example in support of this is the messages system, which allows players to lend each other a hand (helping or otherwise), and discover the game for themselves. It is a bold series, unlike almost all games released nowadays, and this helps to make the Souls games both refreshing and unique. The praise they receive is not hollow, but well earned; the developers have a vision, and they execute it with all their soul.

Destiny, on the other hand, cannot hold your hand because it has no hands to offer; whether the hands are full with something else or simply nonexistant I cannot say. All I know is that Destiny is a content-starved game that only offers repetition to its players... In fact, the game itself is noteworthy solely because a lot of money was spent advertising & developing it, not because of any remarkable aspect that it actually has.

Destiny is unfocused... an incomplete whole, lacking some vital ingredient. Critical reception, both from Giant Bomb and other sites, has made this clear.

Destiny is trying something different, though: it's charging $60 (or more) for a product of the same calibre as a free-to-play MMO (albeit with higher production values). It is grindy, repetitive, and incomprehensible, complete with a thousand currencies and content packs to top it all off. Bungie is trailblazing a new path for subscriptionless MMOs, with "expansion" packs at every turn, until Destiny 2 is out and the cycle begins anew. They say it is a ten year plan... this is their vision - an unfocused succession of games without vision, and presumably without soul.

In any case, for better or worse, profit is in Bungie's Destiny.

This post generated 1 Orb of Light.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny isn't considered a bad game, neither is Watch Dogs or Titanfall. They are considered average overall.

If you want to see a game regarded by the majority as straight up terrible, look up Aliens: Colonial Marines.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

Ultimately it's a 3/5 game for me for the reasons everyone has already listed. But it's an enjoyable 3/5. Mirror's Edge was a 3/5 for me too but I fucking love that game. Not every gane that a person thinks is great needs to be given great review scores and press. And that's ok.

This is a really great point. Many reviewers like Jeff still insist on their review and final score reflecting not only the experience of a game, but as a signifier of the specific quality of all of its combined assets. So a 3/5 doesn't necessarily mean, "This game is utterly average.". It can also translate to, "This game has some great parts, and an equal amount of not so great parts. So if those downers don't bother you so much, you might have a great time with it!".

We should come up with a term for it...

"Alpha Protocol Syndrome"?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wasn't aware that there was a ton of negative backlash to Destiny. For the most part the consensus I've seen has been a resounding meh.

Is that what has the OP's jimmies so rustled?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GaspoweR

It's great that you are enjoying the game but don't say that other people are not giving it a fair chance because they are not enjoying it as much or rather they're not investing as much time in it as much as you are. That kind of progression kinda works for and against the game since people pointed out that the early levels are kinda dull and somehow they're expected to "tough it out" to get to the later levels or the above level 20 content before they can start really enjoying the game? That's not really a fair thing to ask for people who are not willing to commit so much time just to do that. If you're enjoying the game that's great but you shouldn't fault people also who are not having fun with it. Just because they didn't have fun with it doesn't mean they didn't give it enough time for them to be able to make a judgment for THEMSELVES whether they had a good time with it or not after all. It's their experience and that's fine, so you don't need to say that they didn't give the game a chance just because of the reasons you mentioned.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: That would be Bionic Commando syndrome for me. ;_;

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@gaspower said:

@joshwent: That would be Bionic Commando syndrome for me. ;_;

Same here. I really liked that game, and it was pretty fun once you got past that it wasn't an open world game, and the plot was just awful.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not played it but it sounds like it doesn't have nearly as much to explore as an MMO or Borderlands. If you make a game that is designed around MMO type missions you cannot have a world that is slightly larger than Halo. Halo works great because each encounter is designed while in this game it sounds like the encounters are trash mobs with little to no AI. They wanted to merge a FPS with an MMO but got the worst from both genres. For the type of game the created where you run the same area again and again, of course people will complain that it gets repetative. People complained for backtracking in Halo 1 and this is that times 100.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Destiny is one of the best test cases for a more flexible review process. I pretty much agree with the scores I've seen from what I've played. But hell, the raids aren't even in the game yet! Destiny could be revealed to be much better than it currently is, and I think scores should change to reflect that. If raids, or other meaningful endgame content is added to make it much better, then I think the score should go up.

But, these reviews are meant to be purchasing advice, and people should know what they are getting. And if that is a game where you revisit the same areas over and over and over again shooting the same enemies each time... I mean, that's just not gonna jive well with everyone.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@gaspower said:

It's great that you are enjoying the game but don't say that other people are not giving it a fair chance because they are not enjoying it as much or rather they're not investing as much time in it as much as you are. That kind of progression kinda works for and against the game since people pointed out that the early levels are kinda dull and somehow they're expected to "tough it out" to get to the later levels or the above level 20 content before they can start really enjoying the game? That's not really a fair thing to ask for people who are not willing to commit so much time just to do that. If you're enjoying the game that's great but you shouldn't fault people also who are not having fun with it. Just because they didn't have fun with it doesn't mean they didn't give it enough time for them to be able to make a judgment for THEMSELVES whether they had a good time with it or not after all. It's their experience and that's fine, so you don't need to say that they didn't give the game a chance just because of the reasons you mentioned.

Maybe giving Destiny a "fair chance" involves playing through all 10 years of Destiny and spending hundreds of dollars on DLC and sequels.

Most of the reviews didn't hit until Thursday or Friday so I'm not sure what else the OP wants.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny was a victim of its own hype. This kind of reaction is what happens when a game tries convincing everyone that it's really great and awesome and will be the NEXT BIG THING, including people who usually do not like or enjoy these types of games (FPSs, MMORPGs, etc). The other big hitters, such as MGSV, Bloodborne, Persona 5, that Halo collection, etc. are being smarter about what they do when it comes to marketing. They will make an attempt to market to a wide audience, but on the whole, they do not try to convince people that the game is something other than what it is, and show the fanbase what they want to see. The final reception of the game is kind of moot anyway, seeing as it has already sold a stupid number of copies, and probably got quite a few PS4 units sold for Sony.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@csl316: More power to you, mate. ME3 is a pretty great game.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By amafi

@joshwent said:

@jasonr86 said:

Ultimately it's a 3/5 game for me for the reasons everyone has already listed. But it's an enjoyable 3/5. Mirror's Edge was a 3/5 for me too but I fucking love that game. Not every gane that a person thinks is great needs to be given great review scores and press. And that's ok.

This is a really great point. Many reviewers like Jeff still insist on their review and final score reflecting not only the experience of a game, but as a signifier of the specific quality of all of its combined assets. So a 3/5 doesn't necessarily mean, "This game is utterly average.". It can also translate to, "This game has some great parts, and an equal amount of not so great parts. So if those downers don't bother you so much, you might have a great time with it!".

We should come up with a term for it...

"Alpha Protocol Syndrome"?

Man, I love Matt Rorie's Alpha Protocol so much. Some of the best times I've ever had playing a video game.

I guess I could see someone feeling the same way about Destiny, I just don't understand how. It's an incredibly boring game that feels completely soulless, and the part it does well (dudeshooting) is the part I care the least about in any game ever made. Personally I feel 3/5 is pretty generous for what it is.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By XenoNick

I'm enjoying the game but I also agree with the reviews. Been playing with a friend and we have done our best to ring as much content out as we can (Level 21 and have only just finished Venus). Last night I was saying once we reach the 'end' of the story I might just be done with the game.

In the end though don't let review scores wind you up and make you feel the need to defend them. If you enjoy it that's all that matters. Doesn't mean you have shitty tastes or anything (Unless you like something like Ride to Hell). If the game wasn't given a fair chance I think reviews would have gone up on the Tuesday before many people got in on it. Seems to me like a lot of reviewers took some time for the review.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Destiny makes a good first impression.

Most of these reviews are coming in either 2 or 3 days after release and that's very generious at best. But, I'm trying to give the game a fair chance but it rubs me the wrong way in a lot of ways. I do feel like level 15 the mars missions is really what everyone wanted out of this game and that's just 8 hours in. I show the cinematics to family and they come off rather confused, "apparently earth is invaded?" "can you do anything other then shoot at things." Now to be fair, I do think even Mass Effect can be shallow especially the story but everyone loves it because we dug into to find some value in it even if ME2's combat was rubbish.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many people in this world have played Minecraft, Terraria, or exclusively the MP side of games like CoD/Battlefield and endless others? So you bought a game and experienced zero, or very little story before. But Destiny has very little story?

You are attempting to compare apples to oranges in order to justify your own feelings on the matter, a better comparison would be another action rpg with story elements, like Diablo III. Diablo III had the worst story in the series with dull predictable plotlines, wasted potential, and numerous plotholes. Though as with all reviews it is subjective, this negatively impacted my experience with Diablo III, and is therefore a reasonable point of criticism for me. Likewise if Destiny has a weak storyline and it potentially impacts peoples enjoyment, it is a valid point of criticism even if it doesn't matter to you personally.

The game doesn't explain it's systems? Weird, the Souls games never did that very well but everyone still raves about them. Hell some people even LIKE the fact that those games don't hold your hand.

Some people are really into many things that the general public aren't, this doesn't mean that the general public has to like it as well. The souls games, at least the one I played, didn't do a good job explaining its systems, this does not in turn make it a highlight of the series. If I were to review Dark Souls I would say it succeeds inspite of this aspect, not because of it. Or to put it another way, once you get past the poor parts of the Souls games, beneath you have an addictive and challenging experience that manages to surpass the negative elements to become something more. Apparently Destiny does not manage to overcome this as well, but even if it did doesn't excuse it for being done poorly to begin with.

The loot system is different than Diablo and Borderlands? Again, what makes that flat out a problem?

Different in and of itself isn't bad, but the question should be is it good in and of itself. Apparently to the reviewers the answer is no. Stating that you need to spend hours upon hours in the game for it finally to get good should be a sign as to why it isn't. Loot is a vital component of these kinds of games, often which lack the story or mechanics to be completely satisfying on their own and rely upon addictive character advancement through leveling and loot to make up for it.

The quests are boring is a great argument. They are. Doesn't seem to bother countless millions who play MMO games and have for years.

You're not even trying anymore. However, let us continue. Just because another genre of game generally does something poorly doesn't excuse it for being poor, nor this one for being poor at it as well. A better example would be to directly compare it to a game like Diablo or Phantasy Star Online, whose quests are generally not all that inventive either. Typically consisting of 'go here and kill stuff' or 'go here and kill stuff until you can pick up x', the difference there is that you have a story that is offering you a reason and motivation to go forward, the loot helps distract you from the simple mission structure cause you never know what you might find randomly as you go up the advancement treadmill, and the game is built upon a generally fun system. Destiny seems to be lacking some of that by your own admission, so when the game fumbles several of the pillars that a game in the genre relies upon and offers nothing to replace them, the result is a less stellar experience.

Ultimately to me it feels ironic and hypocritical of a big chunk of people who argue against the experience they are having in Destiny.

Are they having an enjoyable experience: Y/N, on a scale of 1-5 stars where would they rate that experience? Other games don't matter, it could be a game nearly identical to one of their favorite games of all times, but if something, or several things, is off and it detracts from it and renders it less enjoyable, they are perfectly justified in criticizing it.

@devise22 said:

Those ways may not be for you, but at least give the game a fair chance and actually try them.

They did, and didn't like it as much as you apparently do, does that then make your experience less enjoyable? I have played a number of games other people didn't regard highly and still had fun. Binary Domain was one of the most fun shooters I had played in years, the fact no reviewers give it 5 stars doesn't negate my enjoyment of it.

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who loved Halo 3 and ODST legendary co-op for the amazing set pieces and AI, would people with a similar background recommend it to me? I also felt the reviews didn't give the game a fair shake of the stick and Jeff was pretty straight up in admitting he didn't buy into the setting/design, so I'd like to hear from someone who did buy into Bungie games before.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most anticipated, talked about and hyped game of the past few years was not given a fair chance? Yeah, I think you're wrong. People were psyched for Destiny, but it turned out to be subpar. And you can't just scoff away at legit criticism because other games don't get criticized for it. Destiny tried a lot of things, but failed at a lot of things as well. Mostly the promise of a story that could keep this franchise going for the next ten years. I'm intrigued by the lore, especially the Traveler and that shit, but it's basically not touched at all. And I think that sucks major donkey balls.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So many times I see people call reviewers out for not being fair-minded and follow it up by essentially telling those reviewers to make a conscientious effort to enjoy the game while playing it for evaluation. Boggles the mind.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Franstone

I agree, Destiny has gotten a totally bad rap.
    Seems like it's one of those things that's cool to hate cuz it didn't "live up to the hype."
    Even more funny is the people that "just don't know what Destiny is..."
    Destiny is exactly what I was expecting and I'm having a blast playing it.
    Loosen up, you may too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

So many times I see people call reviewers out for not being fair-minded and follow it up by essentially telling those reviewers to make a conscientious effort to enjoy the game while playing it for evaluation. Boggles the mind.

"Be fair-minded" essentially means "Agree with me" and "make a conscious effort to enjoy the game" means "I spent $60 and am trying really hard to convince myself it was not a waste, so please do the same so my bubble isn't punctured."

Cecil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really been enjoying Destiny, but I totally agree with jeffs review and understand why some people are disappointed. Destiny was given a fair chance and it's not like it was scored one star. It just didn't live up to all the hype. Games rarely do.

Uberunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The fact that Destiny's story is lacking or simply poor is a disappointment, but that's only because people were expecting the story to be at least decent. People don't expect the story of CoD to be highlight of the game, and when it isn't people factor that into their review of the game.

The loot in Destiny isn't "different" from Diablo/Borderlands, it just drops way less frequently, and is way less important than Bungie were making it out to be.

The quests in MMOs are repetitive for sure. But they are infinitely more interesting than the ones in Destiny. Even if it's just because you're fighting different enemies in a new area, that's still more interesting than what Destiny did.

I don't think people's expectations for Destiny were unfair, it's just a disappointing game in a number of areas.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to think that Destiny was given a fair chance. During the Alpha & Beta most people were generally excited. Many, including myself, thought it to be a little odd having to return to the same areas again and again. But it was forgivable as it was a early access build.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It cost over 500 million dollars.

That's confusing to some people.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of people are confusing disappointment in the game with them not liking it. I like it. Its fun. But I am disappointed with it. It has many flaws, and many things it doesn't do well/right. But it has enough that make it fun to play. And I fear the sales numbers and the amount of play time will be confused by bungie as people loving the game. And the next one will just be a cookie cutter experience.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny doesn't get hype; it stays hyped.

Bungie's marketing team made a loot-based shooter look like the greatest game of all time, and from what I've seen, a lot of people bought into the hype. It's okay, though. Y'all can explore the rest of Earth in Destiny 2.

Please be excited.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of you are confusing my criticisms with some sense of me being upset over review scores. I don't need validation to enjoy what I'm enjoying. I enjoy it and that is fine. What bugs me about the criticism is that at times it isn't fair at all. It's blanket statements of things that objective, and then your subjective thoughts applied towards them. When a reviewer or someone who has played the game says "the game has very little content." That is inaccurate. The game has HOURS of content. A more apt statement would be "the games content is not for me."

I'm perfectly fine that people either don't like it, or don't like parts of it. I don't think it's a perfect game either, and I think there are going to make a bunch of changes and so things as the game goes on to fix some of the flaws. However what I like most about the game is just that it had the balls to be this risky. To hype up a AAA game from the makers of Halo so much and absolutely ditch conventional RPG systems, conventional loot systems, and conventional story telling. Not of all that was for the better, but it certainly was fresh and it had me exploring/talking as opposed to just going in and knowing what was going on.

But if that stuff isn't for some people? Fine. But the people coming out and saying "there is no differences in the classes, they all play very similar" is the stuff that bugs me. Jeff said that several times on camera as well. When in reality it's his approach to playing the game that showcases a lack of diversity. Which again, is fine. If that is the way he wants to play the game, great. But the classes do play differently and the depth and complexity is there if you explore it. The issue is, not everyone play style is such that they care about it. So it has no effect on them.

Which is what ultimately leads me to think some people aren't giving this a fair chance. Even if they don't like the game, nobody puts these type of blanket statements on other games. Even Jeff, despite his dislike for most MMO's and Dota, he still acknowledges that those games as you hit later levels in an MMO can get crazy with their quest design, can get super complicated and intense. He doesn't like Dota but recognizes that the games has serious depth in it's mechanics and what you can learn. Even if it's not for him, academically he goes out of his way to understand why people enjoy the content, and what it factually is bringing to the table. I feel like people have been misrepresenting Destiny in some cases. Is a lot of the grinding/game going through the same areas? Yes. But weapon variety/weapons that have meaningful properties exist. Saying they don't, is simply false. Does it take too long for some players to get to the point where they would get some of those things? Yes. I'm not saying the game is perfect or has no flaws, or "screw you all because you don't like it." It's much easier to have a conversation about a game when we all are on the same page about what is actually IN the game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

We'll go looting and shooting on the moon in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel instead. At least until Destiny gets a PC release.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who loved Halo 3 and ODST legendary co-op for the amazing set pieces and AI, would people with a similar background recommend it to me? I also felt the reviews didn't give the game a fair shake of the stick and Jeff was pretty straight up in admitting he didn't buy into the setting/design, so I'd like to hear from someone who did buy into Bungie games before.

So you never played the game but feel the reviews have been unfair? The problem with modern gaming in one succinct post.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's less challenging I guess, the AI aren't as fulfilling as they are in Halo. The story is far and away the biggest difference, there's no character or even story investment. It feels pretty great to play, even more while co-op. Halo never felt repetitive on a playthrough, whereas Destiny feels repetitive after the first few missions.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dunno duder, I'm at level 8 right now which obviously isn't that far in but I'm already bored with the game. I'm not really sure what I expected but I know it was more than what I've gotten so far. We'll see if I keep going, almost feel like I have to so it doesn't feel like a waste of money but that sucks right? Aww well maybe part two will be better.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By conmulligan

@devise22 said:

I think a lot of you are confusing my criticisms with some sense of me being upset over review scores. I don't need validation to enjoy what I'm enjoying. I enjoy it and that is fine. What bugs me about the criticism is that at times it isn't fair at all. It's blanket statements of things that objective, and then your subjective thoughts applied towards them. When a reviewer or someone who has played the game says "the game has very little content." That is inaccurate. The game has HOURS of content. A more apt statement would be "the games content is not for me."

I don't think anybody is really criticising the game for having very little content, it's just that there's very little unique content, and what is there feels remarkably hollow. So, sure, you could spend hundreds of hours grinding out gear in Destiny, but that doesn't mean there's hundreds of hours of worthwhile content in the game.

I'm perfectly fine that people either don't like it, or don't like parts of it. I don't think it's a perfect game either, and I think there are going to make a bunch of changes and so things as the game goes on to fix some of the flaws. However what I like most about the game is just that it had the balls to be this risky. To hype up a AAA game from the makers of Halo so much and absolutely ditch conventional RPG systems, conventional loot systems, and conventional story telling. Not of all that was for the better, but it certainly was fresh and it had me exploring/talking as opposed to just going in and knowing what was going on.

Calling it risky is one way to put it, but I think for me it just comes across as a series of ill-advised design choices. As for the storytelling, it isn't that unconventional, it's just bad. There's no real narrative arc to speak of, zero interesting characters, and very little context given to the overall universe. It might as well not be there.

But if that stuff isn't for some people? Fine. But the people coming out and saying "there is no differences in the classes, they all play very similar" is the stuff that bugs me. Jeff said that several times on camera as well. When in reality it's his approach to playing the game that showcases a lack of diversity. Which again, is fine. If that is the way he wants to play the game, great. But the classes do play differently and the depth and complexity is there if you explore it. The issue is, not everyone play style is such that they care about it. So it has no effect on them.

I've spend over 20 hours with the game and for me there has been no appreciable difference between the classes when you're playing minute-to-minute. You're using the same weapons, mostly the same pieces of armour, and the same tactics when fighting enemies. It's great that you're able to derive a different experience when switching between classes, but if most people don't share that experience then it's not unreasonable to describe the classes as too similar.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It didn't cost over 500 million dollars to make.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Sterling

@theht said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Polygon Article.

Activision Blizzard will spend $500 million developing and promoting developer Bungie's upcoming first-person action game, Destiny, CEO Bobby Kotick revealed during the Milken conference in Los Angeles last week, Reuters reports.

Ugh, stupid tablet. Anyways, that above is why people think it cost $500 million to make. But then later Bungie came out and said that was for the 10 year plan. Not just this game. As taken from here.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@theht said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Polygon Article.

Activision Blizzard will spend $500 million developing and promoting developer Bungie's upcoming first-person action game, Destiny, CEO Bobby Kotick revealed during the Milken conference in Los Angeles last week, Reuters reports.

Like he said, the cost of making (developing) the game was not 500 million dollars. Promotion is hella expensive.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@theht said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Polygon Article.

Gamespot article:

Bungie’s Eric Osborne repeated the developer’s Chief Operating Officer Pete Parsons’ explanation: “For marketing you'd have to ask Activision people, but for development costs, not anything close to $500 million,” Parsons told GameIndustry International in an interview. “I think that speaks a lot more to the long-term investment that we're making in the future of the product."

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop quoting me before I can fix my post due to my stupid tablet auto submitting replies! Stupid tablet.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Stop quoting me before I can fix my post due to my stupid tablet auto submitting replies! Stupid tablet.

lol sorry! xD

I see why people might hold onto that number and wonder "wtf where's the content", but after a quick google search they'll have their answer.

I guess at that point the question becomes "wtf why 4 locations and repetitive quest design", which I'd also like to get an answer to.

Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've completed the story and quite a few dungeons and it does have some problems.

• The story is not engaging at all and gives no real sense of urgency to resolve whatever matter there was (which still isn't clear to me at all).
    • The AI is awful. Difficulty is from increasing number of enemies and how aggressive they are, but not from improvements in the tactics they use.
    • Classes lack diversity. The game could use some class specific weapon classes to mix it up a bit. They could have items that give modifiers to your abilities to transform into something unique.
    • Sub-classes feel mostly the same, but you are forced to level up the skills separately if you want to try something else. I wish they'd just level together and you pick which you want. I don't enjoy grinding out skills.
    • The loot diversity could use improvement and hopefully can be fleshed out in the future. I feel they should look a bit more at Diablo for some inspiration on how to make items into something more appealing.
    • Players drop out of dungeon groups leaving you on your own very often. The dungeons do scale down when this happens, but not the experience I want. There needs to be punishment for leaving multiplayer PvE content and the game needs to make an effort to fill out the group once someone leaves.
    • There needs to be more dungeons. It's very bare right now and most of the dungeons take place in areas you had quests previously.
    • PvP content is generally fun, but there needs to be some efforts to balance out player skill levels. It feels like you either get on an extremely good or bad team, but never have I been in a balanced match. I feel if they can get the team balance right, then this would improve considerably
    • The way to gain gear is too much of a grind. I'd prefer just getting a piece of loot for each dungeon I complete with a small chance for more to drop while completing it on higher difficulties

There are some good sides to the game as well:

• The gun mechanics are very sound and most weapons feel good to use.
    • PvE content is fun if you get in a competent group that doesn't bail on you
    • The graphics are very well done

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.