Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Jumping back into Destiny, what's all the new content, and what do I need to buy?

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I haven't played Destiny since that first major patch released with the raid in it. I played pretty obsessively, but the mats grind just totally killed it for me. That combined with the lunacy and lack of overall content that pissed off Jeff drove me away. I haven't picked it up since and have pretty much ignored any news about it.

The game's overhaul has me interested again, since I really did like what was there at the beginning (which was not much :/). So, what are the new content pieces that have come out since? Is it worth continuing with my old gunslinger dude, or restart from the beginning? Also, if there's a bunch of different DLCs, what's the most efficient way for me to buy them all to get caught up? I'm downloading an 18gig patch right now, does that just come with a lot of the new stuff?

Thanks, also, I'm looking for new people to play with. Feel free to add me! PSN: EKUST1X

Mageknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You'll have to buy everything, unfortunately. Because Bungie built off stuff that requires DLCs I & II in The Taken King, they're making everyone buy them to even be able to play it. 'Luckily' they also released a Legendary Edition that includes the original Destiny (unfortunate, but you can pass it off to a friend I guess) and the first two DLCs for $60.

Is it worth $60, though? I'd say yes, personally, but maybe I like this game too much! You'll be fine picking up your old Gunslinger - with The Taken King they introduced a new quest system (among other things) that will guide you through The Dark Below and House of Wolves, and with the purchase of The Taken King I think you'll get an item that puts you up to the start of TTK's story and progression if you want to skip the first two DLCs.

And yeah, the 18 gig patch includes /everything/ in the game right now.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

There's enough new stuff to work towards, as well as new activities to do while working towards the stuff that it feels like a full game now. You'll even be able to skip to level 25 right when you fire it up and skip past the early game grind if you want.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Hestilllives19

@therealnelsk: If you jump back in buy the Legendary Edition like Mageknight said. Personally I spent the entire $60 as well just to go digital and traded in my original Destiny for $10. If you don't have either DLC, it's worth it, your basically saving $15. As far as the current state of the game goes, the mats grind is mostly gone now. Getting mats is extremely easy and most of the now unused mats can be used for others purposes such as traded for rep at factions or sold for glimmer/motes. Motes of Light, Strange Coins, and Glimmer and the only real currencies left anymore and Glimmer is mostly a joke, I used it all the other day and before I could even blink I was capped again. They even introduced a new destination material that is a joke because the new Vanguard Ghost Shell has a perk that allows you to obtain 2-6 of the mats each time you pick up an Engram on the Drednaught, which is constantly. I have well over 200 of those Mats on each of my 3 characters. I feel like turning off that perk because I'm actually now getting too much of it. I think you can find Ghost's that do the same for each destination if you still need those. I know many of us long time players had 400 of each mat on each character so we didn't have to worry about those though. Also, all armor parts are now unified so no more armor mats for each class which was extremely annoying if you had one main character and rarely played another class. Word of advice, if you do get back into it on your Hunter, be on the lookout for a Graviton Forfeit, it's really cool looking and the having Shadestep and Predator on your Nightstalker is amazing, especially since Shadestep is the last perk to unlock for Nighstalker, and easily the best single perk in all of Destiny right now. At least that's my opinion, from someone who has always mained a Warlock, he mainly plays a Sunbreaker now, and spends his entire time as a Nighstalker just Shadestepping back and forth because it's just pretty much the best. Good luck to you whether you jump back into Destiny or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.