Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Loved the trial. Would I love the game?

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My interest in Destiny has piqued with the current sale for the DG edition of Destiny for only like $65. I just played the trial, played all the way up to the lvl 8 strike, capped to lvl7 as a Warlock, and actually really enjoyed rolling around the Patrols with randoms and fighting crazy high level stuff. I'm curious about buying the game, but worried that they've stacked all the fun content up front, and it becomes a slog soon after. Is that true, or does it remain fun and varied? Thanks so much!

Also, Destiny DG for $67 or Destiny Vanilla for $43? :)

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By cerberus3dog

Can I ask what areas you've seen up to this point? I'm talking planets.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi
    @cerberus3dog said:

Can I ask what areas you've seen up to this point? I'm talking planets.

The trial is the beta, so just Earth.

The trial is exactly what the rest of the game is. If the idea of doing that stuff for another 20-30 hours is appealing to you then yeah, go for it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To get your money's worth out of destiny you have to either enjoy the PvP (it's a lot like halo multiplayer) or be willing to group up with 5 others for the raids. If you can find people for the first raid (a hard thing to pull off since everyone who cares enough is already only doing the DLC raid) you should have a great time with the game. Raids are definitely better than roaming around aimlessly

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You will do similar missions and strikes on three other planets which will get you to Level 20. Then everything revolves around you redoing strikes/ raids/ and weeklys for better gear. Once you have seen the missions and strikes on the other planets as well as the raids, you will have seen everything in terms of content.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would try to get it as cheap as you possibly can, otherwise yes there is fun to be had in destiny. What you have experienced is pretty much what the entire game is like and it can get repetitive pretty quickly but if you enjoy the core gameplay enough and find the hunt for loot alluring you will probably have some fun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sirfork said:

I would try to get it as cheap as you possibly can, otherwise yes there is fun to be had in destiny. What you have experienced is pretty much what the entire game is like and it can get repetitive pretty quickly but if you enjoy the core gameplay enough and find the hunt for loot alluring you will probably have some fun.

The entire game expect for the raids.

As @pyrodactyl mentioned, raiding is the main draw for almost everyone that is still playing Destiny. The raids almost feel like an entirely different game compared to all the other content, and if you've got a good group to do them on a weekly basis (or are willing to seek one out) it's easy to get a lot of enjoyment out of Destiny despite its issues. If you don't get into raids or PVP Destiny gets old very quickly. I personally really like both raids and PVP, and have thus far put like 400+ hours into the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@DrSwank: If you "love" everything you've done so far then there is plenty more where that came from, so theoretically you might love the rest of the game. As others have noted though, be cautioned that the game doesn't evolve one iota from what you've been doing thus far. After level 20 you will be introduced to a great many new economies you will have to grind for but the basic gameplay remains unchanged, apart from the two raids. At this point though, apart from just seeing it, I don't really know what point there is to doing the Vault of Glass raid. Not only is the vendor armor better, but the unique perks on the raid set is VoG specific.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@DrSwank: If you "love" everything you've done so far then there is plenty more where that came from, so theoretically you might love the rest of the game. As others have noted though, be cautioned that the game doesn't evolve one iota from what you've been doing thus far. After level 20 you will be introduced to a great many new economies you will have to grind for but the basic gameplay remains unchanged, apart from the two raids. At this point though, apart from just seeing it, I don't really know what point there is to doing the Vault of Glass raid. Not only is the vendor armor better, but the unique perks on the raid set is VoG specific.

I really have enjoyed what I've played so far. I've never been a big "loot" guy, but the gameplay is fun.

Apart from everything else, the game on sale, without DG, is like $43 I think(?), from what I've read, most people feel like for $10, the Dark Below is worth it, which I presume that the follow wolves dlc should also be "worth" roughly the same, it seems like spending the extra $24 to get DG would make it a worthwhile purchase.

The sad part... I've spent more time (and had a better time) playing the Destiny trial than I did with Halo MCC... :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfork said:

The entire game expect for the raids.

As @pyrodactyl mentioned, raiding is the main draw for almost everyone that is still playing Destiny. The raids almost feel like an entirely different game compared to all the other content, and if you've got a good group to do them on a weekly basis (or are willing to seek one out) it's easy to get a lot of enjoyment out of Destiny despite its issues. If you don't get into raids or PVP Destiny gets old very quickly. I personally really like both raids and PVP, and have thus far put like 400+ hours into the game.

Concerning PVP, I'm glad the Halo 5 beta came out because Destiny's pvp looks wayyyy better. Halo 5 looks like it's going toward CoD, which sucks. I hate CoD. I also like how you have a greater attachment to your character and weapons, and specials in Destiny, vs just playing Masterchief, again, but now it's CoD Masterchief. Destiny looks wayyyy better in the PVP department. AND, after Halo MCC tragedy, I'm quite certain that the matchmaking magic has left the 343 building with the Bungie networking masterminds. I feel like I've had so many bad experiences this year with tragic connectivity issues, that it's so refreshing to see PVP and Coop that just works, and works beautifully and seamlessly, like it should, and Bungie knows this all to well.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@DrSwank: The gunplay is pretty good and hey, if you like it go for it. I can't pretend that I didn't have fun playing the game and I spent a long, long time playing it. One last word of advice though - to really get the most out of it you will need to have 5 other dedicated friends to play it with. To do the raid naturally, and also to do the nightfall strikes etc etc. This is a game where you do eventually hit a wall trying to lone wolf it.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Giant_Gamer

If you have the money and in a dire need of a good online multiplayer game then don't hesitate and buy the game already!

A friendly tip, earth is the best map in this game so don't hold your hopes up for something better in this game because there isn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have the money and in a dire need of a good online multiplayer game then don't hesitate and buy the game already!

A friendly tip, earth is the best map in this game so don't hold your hopes up for something better in this game because there isn't.

Destiny DG for $67 or Destiny Vanilla for $43? :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@DrSwank: The gunplay is pretty good and hey, if you like it go for it. I can't pretend that I didn't have fun playing the game and I spent a long, long time playing it. One last word of advice though - to really get the most out of it you will need to have 5 other dedicated friends to play it with. To do the raid naturally, and also to do the nightfall strikes etc etc. This is a game where you do eventually hit a wall trying to lone wolf it.

I do actually have many friends playing this, all who, like crack addicts, have been very pushy for me to purchase it for several months, annoyingly so, however, I do prefer to play lone wolf or with my wife, chill coop style. I don't think high lvl raids is going to be for me, too much stress. but just watched some youtube pvp with Warlock (class I'm playing) and looks incredibly fun and where I wished Halo MP had gone.

Last question: Destiny DG for $67 or Destiny Vanilla for $43?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By tds418

Probably! I don't know what the demo has but I think the strikes, raid, and PvP (I know, shocking) are the best parts so if you haven't played those yet go for it. The Raid also isn't as intimidating as it may seem - a lot of people pretty much have the Vault of Glass mastered so if you can just set a two hour chunk of time aside one evening and spend 5-15 minutes on the Bungie forums (or DestinyLFG) finding a group (I do it all the time as a lone wolf) it should be pretty doable.

edit: also if the DG contains the expansion pass that's a bit of a steal, like a $95 value. Keep in mind you won't hit the expansion content until at least mid-20s (they've lightened the grind to get there though).

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@DrSwank: Get the DG, the DLC is $20 each and that's insane.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Like others have said, if you enjoy doing the exact same thing that was in the trial over and over for 20+ hours I would say go for it. Doing the raid however is pretty crucial to getting good loot unless you want to spend more time grinding. Also, there is no couch/local co op so keep that in mind.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'll reiterate what others have said. If you like EXACTLY what the story does, and want to do it repeatedly, as well as what you did in the strikes and bounties and what not, then yes. But it is literally exactly what you did over and over again. It can have variation depending on who you play through things with, but much in the same vein that a WoW raid changes based on your party.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought the DG =) 67 for game and both expansions seems like too good a deal to pass up!

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By tds418

@DrSwank If you're on Xbone feel free to add me. If I'm playing in Destiny and not mid-Raid or strike I'm usually down to join up with people. GT: Harpua418

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.