Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Recommended to get Destiny at this point or no?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sweetz

Hi all, I'm primarily a PC guy, but I like consoles too. I generally buy one about half-way through a generation when there's at least a half dozen good exclusives I want to play. PS4 has reached that point, so I'll probably be picking up a PS4 Pro soon.

I'm on the fence about getting Destiny. It's a game I was always interested in, but the love/hate way the Giant Bomb guys always seemed to describe it made me wary. Generally speaking, I'm mostly immune to the carrot-on-a-stick appeal of loot driven games. I played a lot of Borderlands 1, but completely bounced off of 2. I like loot driven action RPGs like Diablo, but I play those games once and move on. However, I do like Bungie shooting and love scifi settings. So it's a tough call for me whether Destiny would end up being worth my time.

That said, I mostly play games single player and at this point, I'm wondering if Destiny has a viable player population anyway. I won't have a group of friends to play it with so will I just completely miss out on the raids and things like that?

So do you think should I get Destiny or skip it?

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Dayve86

I love Destiny. I'm mostly a PC guy and I play games single player. There's something about the feel of Destiny's combat I just don't get from others games. It's constantly satisfying. Also the amount of content you get for buying the Destiny Collection is a really good value.

Playing the game solo and strike playlists are still a blast to me (even though you're repeating the same missions). The player base is huge and you normally match into a playlist instantly. I've only done two raids but there's enough Destiny LFG sites out there that finding a group shouldn't be a problem.

I'm behind on my Destiny because of work, but I plan on getting Rise of Iron after my birthday next week. My PSN is Dayve86 if you're looking for someone to casually play with over the holidays.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I had a lot of fun with it. At this point there's enough content for the game to be a good value. The game's loot was never it's strong point; it is a game that is about the sublime feel of the shooting and movement. Even though the last bit of the game I played was previous to the latest expansion I found there to be a decent amount of varied content with several raids to play. The only thing that might be a bummer about the raids is if everyone playing them could do it with their eyes closed at this point, making it a frustrating experience for you as you deal with their impatience.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That depends on wether or not you would like to have 200+ hours of amazing entertainment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

After bouncing off of it, when it was first released, I came back to it this summer. The amount of content you get for $60 is great. The shooting is great. But the story and structure is pretty lacking. I ended up listening to podcasts the entire time because the story is just such nonsense. Everything is at stake, but nothing really is at stake.

The player population is still high. You can't matchmake for Raids though, so you have to go out and find people to do that with, but there are a bunch of sites for that.

We sound pretty similar in that the loot drop does not effect us as strongly as it does someone like Brad. Idk if I would recommend this game to you. I enjoyed some of my time with it, but nothing was satisfying enough to where I felt good about all my time spent with it. It's like 2 or 3/5 for me.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alucitary

I picked up Destiny when it first came out, and played it non stop for the first 2 years. I literally played it every day during that time span and met a lot of friends along the way, Like you I was originally a single player focused person, but was eventually sucked into the raids and higher level stuff with easy to use sites like DestinyLFG. I played ever piece of content every week, completed every challenge, quest, and community goal there was to finish, spent more than my fair share on micro transactions when they were first released, and I'm pretty sure at one point or another I held every one of the thousands of guns in that game, but I stopped 100% cold turkey before the April update earlier this year. The reason is that it was becoming increasingly clear what Bungies strategy was going forward, and it was a sharp turn from the first 2 years of the game. They were finally beginning to hunker down on developing "Destiny 2" and pretty much everything since the April update has essentially been a stopgap to keep people interested and playing. To be fair all of the updates have been really high quality from the little I have played. All the new activities they added were very enjoyable, and Rise of Iron was extremely well produced considering the circumstances, although predictably it is a jarringly short ride from start to finish. To be not so fair though, the way they started to play around with micro transactions is the worst I have ever seen. The current state of what they expect their players to pay out, and what they get in return is frankly pretty disgusting. They are clearly seeing how far they can push the limits of micro transactions in anticipation for Destiny 2, and trust me they wont stick around because the community is NOT happy about it.

Overall I would say only get Destiny 1 if you don't think it will prevent you from picking up Destiny 2 hopefully later next year. It isn't really accurate to say that the game finally has enough content from all the expansions to make a full game, or that you are getting a great deal by picking it up for $60 and getting like 4 expansions plus the base game, because most of that stuff, like all the old activities and raids, including the best one (King's Fall), are obsolete and you will not find anyone playing them. At this point the only thing you will really get out of those expansions will be the short story missions that will only leave you confused at their inclusion without the payoff the original content provided. If you really just want to go it alone and shoot some aliens, and run strikes while you listen to podcasts or something then great, There has definitely never been a better time to get the game for that experience, the game is a blast, and the shooting is the best there is right now, but just know that it still does not feel like a complete package for a completely different reason than at launch. If you want to really get into the game, enjoy some of the greatest multiplayer experiences ever, and learn about the story and world they are crating, please come back around for Destiny 2 even if you do end up feeling a bit let down because it is such a mess to navigate currently.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By Zevvion

@sweetz said:

Hi all, I'm primarily a PC guy, but I like consoles too. I generally buy one about half-way through a generation when there's at least a half dozen good exclusives I want to play. PS4 has reached that point, so I'll probably be picking up a PS4 Pro soon.

I'm on the fence about getting Destiny. It's a game I was always interested in, but the love/hate way the Giant Bomb guys always seemed to describe it made me wary. Generally speaking, I'm mostly immune to the carrot-on-a-stick appeal of loot driven games. I played a lot of Borderlands 1, but completely bounced off of 2. I like loot driven action RPGs like Diablo, but I play those games once and move on. However, I do like Bungie shooting and love scifi settings. So it's a tough call for me whether Destiny would end up being worth my time.

That said, I mostly play games single player and at this point, I'm wondering if Destiny has a viable player population anyway. I won't have a group of friends to play it with so will I just completely miss out on the raids and things like that?

So do you think should I get Destiny or skip it?

Here we go. This right here is why the community on this website hates Destiny. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of what the game's appeal is. If you're looking for this, don't get Destiny. It is not Borderlands, it is not Diablo. It is not a loot game. It's a cooperative shooter. Loot is merely an element of it. You need to gear up properly to tackle the challenges put in front of you. Gear is a means to an end. Gear is not the drive that makes you want to play. You want to complete that Nightfall, you want to complete that Raid, you want to win in Iron Banner and you want to try to get flawless in Trials. Gear is secondary or even tertiary.

Destiny is a skill based game. It has very solid and consistent gameplay. Nothing in it is insane. There are no guns that shoot midgets. Everything makes sense in its own universe and the Exotic nature of some of the guns are very nuanced, often promoting a specific playstyle. Not necessarily being the most powerful weapons. Everything feels premium. These guns feel like they could exist. The shooting feels fantastic and you can get very good at it. Then, the game starts to put your skills to the test.

Heroic Strikes are harder versions of Strikes with several modifiers. Often something like Arc, Void or Solar Burn. This means weapons of that element deal significantly more damage than usual. This also means enemies that deal those damage types wreck you almost instantly. It requires you to approach these Strikes more methodically. Then there is the Nightfall. A weekly Strike that is even harder than Heroic Strikes and has more modifiers. Then, there is the Raid. There are currently four Raids but only the most recent one sees a lot of play as usual. You can still definitely experience the others, though doing them weekly is probably not something you'd do. The newest Raid, Wrath of the Machine, is fantastic. It's the best Raid they have ever done. Apart from 0,0001% of the community that finds a way to complete them solo, they absolutely require 6 people to complete. They are mechanic heavy challenges and require you to be skilled at the game and have proper gear to tackle the challenge. Then there is a Heroic version of the Raid which is harder and has more mechanics.

The multiplayer is fantastic as well. It is the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game, let alone a shooter. Once a month is Iron Banner which is a week long event and every weekend is Trials of Osiris, which is the most competitive and rewarding experience I've ever had. It is a tournament Elimination mode. Elimination is a 3 v 3 game mode where if you get killed, you can only be revived by a teammate after a delay. You cannot respawn on your own. You get a passage to enter the Trials; you get armor at 5 wins and a weapon at 7 wins. But if you lose three times, you're out and have to get a new passage card. If you manage to win 9 times without losing, you've done a flawless passage and you get to go to the Lighthouse. Everybody is chasing this and it is very thrilling and exciting.

If any of this sounds appealing to you, I highly recommend you get Destiny. It is the best game of this type that has ever been made. Granted, there aren't a lot of games like it, but I'm not booting it up every day because I have nothing else to play. I do so because it is that much fun to me.

Also, you're always welcome in Cerberus Wolves, one of the Giant Bomb clans I set up. If you want I can also help guide you through the game at some point when you want to.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I see I wasn't the only one typing up a rant of the last 15 minutes.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DharmaBum

I always toy with the idea of playing Destiny. It's kind of crazy to me that I haven't touched the game as I'm a huge Halo fan. Bungie really are experts at control and "feel" though. I think I'll give it a go around the time the sequel gets announced and maybe then the first game's collection will be on sale.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zevvion: I was looking for your reply. :)

I'd say yes. Still many playing it and a lot from this community will help you out with the SP when you need it. Great people.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What appeals to me with gaming in general is the ability to build a character and continue to evolve that character through levelling and new gear, and Destiny is top notch for that.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@zevvion: Always... Just don't look out the window...

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: It's not much of a case of you're being watched but I have gotten used to see you on the Destiny forums that if there is a topic without your input I start to worry.

@hestilllives19: My dad, who served in the IDF special forces, always told me that being paranoid has saved his life on several occasions.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gerrid

one thing to keep in mind is that the original mission structure for Destiny 1.0 is a complete mess. The way progress through missions is laid out can be confusing and the story is so minimal that it won't give you any guidance.

But, don't give up, because they fix that with the expansions. So it's worth suffering through to get to the best stuff.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I personally never got much satisfaction out of Destiny as a single player experience. When I had someone to play it with, it was well worth the money, even though I never had the interest in grinding up to Raid gear. I don't know how that whole process has been tweaked since the latest expansion, but people in this thread are seriously understating the grind. If you want to run through the story, fine, that'll probably get you your money's worth. Run a few strikes, that's a fun way to spend a few hours. But you won't get anywhere in the progression sense if you're not the kind of person who's willing to run through the same mission multiple times so you can make the number on the exact same gear you're already wearing go higher.

In the end, I'd say give it a try. The negative stuff you've heard from Jeff et al has probably managed your expectations sufficiently.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a great game. The shooting feels GREAT. I've been playing solo maybe 40% (in some missions there's matchmaking) and the rest with just one friend.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@zevvion: I would agree with everything you typed except for the multiplayer. I think the shooting is amazing for PVE missions; not for PVP. I'd rather play other multiplayer shooters other than Destiny.

I would say that you need to make sure that you have a group or a friend that you can count on to play it with. I put in about 250 hours into Destiny until I hit a wall where I basically couldn't progress because I couldn't find a group to play with, so I stopped. I skipped Rise of Iron and am glad that I did. With all of that said, when Destiny has its hooks in you, it is ridiculously hard to stop.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: You can find people to play with in 60 seconds. Better than any matchmaking would. That game's lack of matchmaking really laid bare how terrible matchmaking in games actually is. If Trials or Raids had matchmaking, the two activities I put most of my time in by far, I would not play Destiny at all.

As for the PvP, opinions. I think no other shooter plays better online than Destiny does in relation to skill development. Halo comes close, but its multiplayer is uninteresting to me by a lack of things to achieve in it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I bought my PS4 last year and it came with Destiny Taken King. I'm also primarily a single player gamer and I thought it had enough content for solo play. I especially liked the feel of the shooting. However, it was very clear that you'd get so much more out of the game if you had a friend or 2 to play it with. I think if you could pick up the Destiny Collection for $40, it'd be worth it to see through what the fuss is all about alone.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

@zevvion: How can I find people to play with in 60 seconds?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hestilllives19

@colonel_pockets: @zevvion: As someone who has put a thousand or more hours into Destiny's multiplayer I think it's a pretty mixed bag. The base concept is fantastic. Abilities feel great and the combat is second to none. You have time to out think other opponents and playing well really does rely pretty heavily on your knowledge of the game, what the other players are doing and have equipped, and how they can interact with the game world. All of that is fantastic, and Destiny, at least in my opinion, does it better than any other FPS on the market, and by a wide margin.

But, it also suffers huge drawbacks. Destiny was designed with a fancy Peer to Peer connection system that is super intricate, and honestly, is incredibly awful for PvP. It's why no matter what they do with Matchmaking setting, and the ones now in the game after last week are some of the best they've ever had, at least in my limited experience with it so far, Destiny will always suffer from massive lag issues. It's an infrastructure problem they can't really fix, at least not until Destiny 2 where hopefully they will redesign it from the ground up to fix all of the issues. On top of that you have a Crucible Design Lead in Derek Carroll who is just constantly a dick to the community, and frequently goes out of his way both thumb his nose at us and make design decision that are to the detriment of the game. Honestly, most of the community would rather him just gone. The Crucible has also always suffered from far too infrequent patches to both fix issues and balance the game properly. It's something that should be touched in a minor way at least every 6 weeks, and they only seem to do it every 4-6 months. Another big thing Bungie needs to do a better job of, like always is communication and though they have been doing an ok job of it lately, listening to player feedback. It took them over a year to actually address their matchmaking in the direction players have been requesting since they used us as guinea pigs last December, which didn't happen until last Wednesday.

Destiny has great bones, and it's something amazing to build Destiny 2 on. But a lot of it's issues just won't be fixed until then. Don't get me wrong, I love Destiny, which is why I have over 3,000 hours into of which more than 1/3 is in Crucible. And Trials of Osiris is one of the best game modes for PvP there is. But I don't think Destiny will be able to reach it's full potential as a PvP game until Destiny 2, but I do have hope that they fix some of the staggering issues that it has now with Destiny 2.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: Yeah, this is basically why I stopped playing. Destiny is a really good base, but there is still so much to improve. I did not enjoy Desinty PVP and the only reason I would hop in is to grind away during Iron Banner. It's just not nearly as fun or dynamic as other multiplayer shooters that are out right now. I would argue Battlefield is a much better team experience than Destiny. Especially when you compare Destiny PVP with it with the things you listed. When you are rolling with a squad that knows what they're doing, it can be some of the most satisfying experiences you can have in a game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That depends on wether or not you would like to have 200+ hours of amazing entertainment.

eugh so little content

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not anymore, no, when it was released there were no worthwhile fps games but now there are many better ones. If you're one of the lucky ones who can get super into it then it'll be incredibly good value.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: LFG, fireteams, so many ways and sources to use to set it up. After one month of usage, I already had over 30 new friends on my list who were constantly down to play Raids or Crucible.

I would argue there is not a single shooter out there that is more dynamic than Destiny is. The effect each gun has on that game's metagame is such you don't see in any other. Coupled with the subclasses and abilities thereof and how each of them can intertwine with another teammate's; nothing beats it on that front. Clearly we're talking opinions here though, I understand that. You obviously don't like it. But OP might, if he's into the type of PvP it offers.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DharmaBum

@hestilllives19: Sounds like the same old Bungie from back in the days of competitive Halo. In their defense however, I feel like the way hardcore "MLG" Halo fans heavily critiqued any facet of the game that didn't perfectly suit their needs played a large role in Bungie wanting to move on from the series and its immature audience.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: When you wet the bed so to speak with your solo campain's like Destiny did at launch, I think having a great community that supports your game after launch for all of it's other features is the best you can hope for. Between PvP and Raids, that's something Destiny has done pretty well. Building off of that with your PvP into something that can be watched, an MLG or ESport type game so to speak is a very successful way to go. The real sad part is Destiny has the bones to be one of the best MLG/ESport type games out there if Bungie would handle it correctly. If plays and feels fantastic. And when connection issues aren't a factor it truly feels like the better, smarter player, wins every engagement. This is the exact recipe for an ESport game. But it has some fundamental balance issues that they just either refuse to acknowledge or refuse to fix or just outright break/create. There is a reason why Destiny has always had and even today has one of the largest Twitch followings as it rarely fall out of the top 10 on Twitch, as a 28 month old game. Ever since they added custom matches MLG leagues and Tournaments have been a very real thing, but when Destiny players have to agree to sets of "Gentlemen's Rules", generally the same set of rules mind you, because the game is fundamentally unbalanced there is an serious issue. To an extent that will always exist in these type of settings, but the fact that all of those outliers are fair game in Trials and regular Crucible means there are some serious balance issues Bungie needs to take to heart. It's also a fundamental problem that only 1 playstyle is used currently in those scenarios, Matador/Palindrome (especially when HC's themselves are actually even broken due to Ghost Bullets, or bullets that don't actually hit their intended target often, and are still superior to other weapon classes at high level play). It's a glaring reminder that Snipers just aren't actually viable at high level play anymore because of the insane flinch they added, and both Fusion and Sidearms never will be viable secondaries without major buffs. There is a reason why the top Snipers in Destiny, guys like SirDimetrious, nKuch, TrueVanguard, KJHovey, TripleWreck, and IFrostbolt all Shotgun in Tournaments and League/Sweats. I really hope Bungie gets it together for Destiny 2, because while new content drives in the masses, and hopefully Destiny 2 will do that, having an engaged and active community are what keeps player retention high. Something Destiny was very good about in Y1, worse about towards the end of Y2, and seeing the worst of right now. If player retention for Destiny drops too much that is going to negatively effect sales of Destiny 2, which is a mistake Bungie cannot afford to make.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My interest in Destiny's end game faded pretty quickly but I still got a super-solid 40 hours out of it and I constantly think about popping it back in.

I also have a good friend who despite buying and enjoying Battlefront, Overwatch, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 finds himself, yet again, playing Destiny instead.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hestilllives19

@professoress: I'm the same way as your friend. I'm sitting on Battlefield 1, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Mafia III, Watch Dogs 2, Final Fantasy XV, and Dead Rising 4. I also still haven't finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, MGSV, and The Walking Dead Season 2. Have been playing more Mafia III and FFXV of late though than Destiny, but I still play Destiny way too much. Hopefully Destiny just stays in the poor state I feel like it is right now for people like me who have done everything 100x over until Destiny 2 so I can get some of that backlog knocked out. I guess I can be content with 100's of Raid completions and 108 Flawless Trials runs, though I will still probably play 1 or 2 cards per weekend of Trials, even with the poor state of Destiny's Crucible. Trials is that much more fun/intense than any other game out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Destiny in its current state is actually pretty remarkable for being a game that can meet your interest and level of commitment wherever it stands.

If you want to quietly poke at its challenges or enjoy the shooting in a sandbox environment, it rewards you. If you want to dig more into a Diablo-style loot and light grind, the game's strike playlist and ancillary activities (weekly bounties/daily public events) make that a viable way to enjoy the game. If PvP is your thing, Destiny's multiplayer offerings receive constant attention, regular balance tweaks, and scheduled "events" whose payouts include unique and extremely potent weaponry and armor. Finally, if you want to engage with Destiny's endgame, its four raids are among the most exciting experiences you can have in a first person shooter.

I mostly play the game on my lonesome. While I wish the game itself had a better system for matching players together for certain endgame activities (the raids/certain high-level missions called "Nightfall" strikes), there are numerous web-based solutions that can help you find like-minded players who want to see the same content you do. Even Bungie's own Destiny mobile app allows you to identify certain playertypes you'd like to join, or even post an open classified for a mission you're hoping to tackle with a group.

The community is at an extremely healthy point right now. You'll always see an increase in players just after the release of a major installment of content, and since we're now a few months removed from Rise of Iron some of those players have drifted away from Destiny. But don't let that deter you. Destiny remains one of the most populated games on both PSN and Xbox Live. You will have no issues finding people to play with, or running into wayward explorers during your travels across the open public spaces.

Destiny is not without fault or flaw. But it will reward you for playing how you want, when you want.

I'd say get it.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I purchased the latest expansion and have only played it for a handful of hours.

If you have friends that play it regularly and will do the raid and all the jazz, I say get it at a discount. If not, I would pass 'til Destiny 2.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By ProfessorEss

@inevpatoria said:

Destiny is not without fault or flaw. But it will reward you for playing how you want, when you want.

I'd say get it.

It helps a lot that the base, moment to moment gameplay is excellent regardless of all the other stuff.

I'm super hooked on Sleeping Dogs again but I'll be damned if this thread doesn't have me thinking about playing Destiny tonight.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I tried LFG for like 2 weeks and I just kept grouping with crappy people. I guess you had better luck than me. I was playing on Xbox One if that changes anything. And yes, absolutely these are opinions. I'm hooked on Titanfall 2 right now. I played Titanfall 1 for 2 years because of the unique stuff that is in that game. I like to play my shooters ridiculously aggressive and Titanfall's gameplay is basically tailored for that. Destiny doesn't really reward aggressive play; at least with the loot I have.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DharmaBum

@hestilllives19: Thanks for the reply. I haven't followed the Destiny scene at all so that read like a nice synopsis of the state of affairs. Bringing it back to their legacy with Halo, it always felt like much of the brilliance of the first trilogy's multiplayer was accidental. The most obvious example is the BXR from Halo 2, an unintentional button glitch which ended up adding an entire new layer of skill and depth to the metagame.

In other words, the designers and engineers that created the sandbox are geniuses for the engine they built (especially when applied to campaign/PvE), but that doesn't mean they understand fundamental competitive balance and what mechanics best suit multiplayer. Any time they did intentionally attempt to add a new element to the sandbox (take armor abilities or deployable equipment for instance) it never felt as elegantly implemented as the original pillars of gameplay - guns, grenades, melee. By Reach and Halo 4 (granted this was a new developer) the series had lost its legacy of innovation and instead tried to copy the common shooter trends of the era. Multiplayer map design in particular has arguably gone downhill with each Halo iteration.

I think 343 have really stepped it up after all the flak they got with Halo 4 and MCC (rightly so) and put a very intentional focus on the multiplayer esports side of things with Halo 5 - e.g. hiring pro players from the community as well as poaching talent from other studios. Their finals event hit about 40k viewers last night and they announced plans to continue into 2017 with more tourneys. I'm very curious to see if Destiny 2 goes down the esports route too or if they stick with a PvE focus which they undoubtedly excel at.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hestilllives19

@dharmabum: Yeah, don't get me wrong, Bungie has done a few things right. Last year they hired the Destiny The Game Reddit creator, Cosmo, as one of the main Community Managers. It seems like he is finally being given a voice at Bungie as some of their patch notes for The Dawning shows like...

• Increasing the Skeleton Key drop rates.
    • Guaranteed Skeleton Key on first Nightfall completion of the week.
    • Automatic dismantle of Green Engrams once you hit Level 40 (they previously took up inventory space until you dismantled, and were junk items nobody wanted except the materials they dismantled into).
    • Passage Coins sold for Motes of Light (Trials boon coins, 9 per card, and they run out quickly, but without them, Trials is much harder to go 9-0).
    • Repuchasable Gunsmith Rank 2 weapons (weapons players earned but if Dismantled could never obtain again).
    • An Ornament Kiosk that allows you to purchase any and all Weapon Ornaments for 25 Silver Dust (huge change to their microtransactions, hopefully one that seeps into their other microtransactions).

These were all what Reddit called "Bungie Please" Items, or changes so often requested that Reddit made them topics that could no longer be discussed because they were universally agreed to be positive changes for the game, and were added to the Bungie Please forum post. This is by far the most Bungie Please items they have ever addressed at once, which is a very good thing.

But with a living breathing game like Destiny, it just always feels like they could be doing more, especially when it comes down to things they broke while updating the game that weren't a problem beforehand. Which is a lot of the game before the December patch last year that really messed up the game and they pretty much spent an entire year fixing a lot of what they broke back then. Hopefully all the testing they did on us for Destiny 1 is put to good use to make Destiny 2 an amazing game though. That's my hope.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

NEVER !

(wait for Destiny 2)

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Legend

Stay away from this game.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hestilllives19

@sweetz: I always try to keep my mouth shut when these posts come up because as the top poster on the Destiny forums, I think my opinion comes off a bit biased, because I honestly love Destiny and it's why I put over 3,000 hours into it over the past 28 months. But I think a question about whether to buy or not buy Destiny at this point comes down to this... What do you want to get out of Destiny?

Many players have come into, during many points over the past 28 months and either loved or hated it, and it all comes down to that one question. If you come into Destiny looking for a great story, a Mass Effect space Odyssey in FPS RPG form, I hate to tell you, at it's best Destiny is not that game. It's story has always been, even at it's best passable, and at it's worst just downright bad. It's best lore, and there are some good things there, are locked behind Grimoir card only accessible via Bungie's website, or hinted at through gamemodes and ongoing side stories like Iron Banner, Raids, Hidden Story missions, etc. It is not a very single player friendly game, and was never designed to be. It's also not Diablo, or Borderlands. So your loot driven heart will go cold looking to slowly upgrade your character via loot. It's not that type of game. All loot before Legendaries and Exotics are garbage, and will never be used by you outside of getting you to the point of being able to obtain that sacred Exotic/Legendary gear. Your abilities in Destiny come in the form of your 3 Subclasses, one of which you are going to have to wade through now old content to locate. Speaking of old content, the UI is going to be a massive overload at first. Destiny's item system is incredibly convoluted and complicated. Mostly due to the fact that they have had to restructure it because it was broken at nearly every launch of DLC, or about 5 times now. Many launch players will hardly recognize the game as it is now. Now as far as content there is a massive amount of content, but it's going to be a bit of sensory overload if you will. The game is going to throw Quests from Destiny, The Dark Below, House of Wolves, The Taken King, The Y2 April Update, Rise of Iron, and as of Tuesday The Dawning at you right as you boot up. It's going to be hard to tell what to do, where to go, and you will be easily overwhelmed. Lack of Content is far from Destiny's problem at this point. Now if this is the type of game you were looking for and these things turn you off, do not get Destiny right now. Wait until Destiny 2 and try to jump in then.

Now that I've probably scared you off will all of the bad parts, here is what Destiny really is, what you should do if you plan on getting Destiny, and why it's actually a pretty fantastic time to jump in on the franchise before Destiny 2 comes along. Destiny is a Coop game, and one of the best Coop games ever designed. It is built to be played with other people. From a PvE standpoint, connecting with others is fantastic. All PvE content is designed around a 3 player fireteam (outside of Raids which I will touch on it a bit). The game plays and feels best within a Fireteam that can Super, create orbs, which allows Super Chaining, and watch each others back, and Res each other if they die. That shooting and ability use feels fantastic, and is universally agreed as the best part of Destiny, that minute to minute gunplay. No FPS on the market does it better. To be honest, after putting so many hours into Destiny, it's really hard to even touch games like Call of Duty or Battlefield, as Destiny just feels far superior to them in that regard. And while many of us are tired of fighting Fallen, Vex, Hive, Cabal, and Taken, there really are a massive amount of enemies in Destiny to learn how they work and how to counter each and every one of them. There are 43 base enemies in Destiny according to the IGN wiki, many of those have Boss variations and several of the Raid specific enemies such a Gorgons weren't listed there either. There are 6 explorable open world areas, 16 Strikes (17 on PS4, 3 of which are being remade on Tuesday with variations and another 3 from Rise of Iron that had variations as well), and 4 Raids. The current leveling system past your actual level (1-40) is called Light Level and goes up to 400. The current content, Rise of Iron starts at level 40 and 290 LL. But upon purchase you are given what is called a Spark of Light. It is an item that can be used to Level you instantly to 40 and give you 280 LL gear. I would highly recommend using this to jump the hurdle many of us had to go through in getting a character to that point (likely save you 20-30 hours of mindless grinding for no reason and not gaining any progress towards end game). Now as far as Light Leveling goes, they have made major changes since Rise of Iron dropped, and now just playing the Siva Strike Playlist will get you up to 365 LL gear. Playing the Heroic Strike Playlist will get you to 385 LL. After that Exotic Engrams, Skeleton Key Treasures, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, and Heroic Wrath of the Machine are the ways in which to get all the way up to 400 LL. If you do not plan on playing the Heroic WOTM Raid or Trials of Osiris, hitting 400 LL is completely unnecessary, as you can easily do anything else in Destiny at 375-380 LL (complete leveling guide here). Most of your time in Destiny will be spent doing similar activities on repeat trying to obtain Exotic Weapons/Armor and Legendary Weapons/Armor with specific rolls of Intellect/Dicipline/Strength (effects how quickly your abilities: Super, Grenade, and Melee recharge) and perks such as Hand Cannon or Scout Rifle Reloader and extra Sniper or Shotgun Ammo and Extra Rocket or Machine Gun Ammo, etc. A lot of my time has been spent looking for Artifacts and gear with specific perks and those RNG stat rolls so that I can have special abilities like my Artifacts that either Generate Super 50% quicker for Teammates once my Super is up (4 minutes down to 2 minutes) or always on Radar with a Primary equipped. That and having perfect 5-5-1 splits on Super recharge, Grenade recharge, and Melee recharge. But if you don't care about min/maxing yourself, you won't be spending as much time doing that stuff, or collecting all of the Exotics in the game.

The biggest draw to Destiny are the 4 Raids. Wrath of the Machine, Kings Fall, Crota's End, and Vault of Glass from newest to oldest. Wrath of the Machine is the only Raid that will drop current Light Level gear, so in essence it's the only viable Raid right now. Which is ok, because it is easily the best Raid to date in Destiny (in my opinion) second to the original Raid Vault of Glass. These are 6 player mission that take between 30 minutes and an hour to complete when the group already knows how they work, but going in blind can take many hours to figure out the mechanics to, as they are pretty complicated scenarios most of the time. They are easily, at least in my opinion, the best content in all of gaming on your first playthrough, and still pretty satisfying in the runs through them thereafter. Those runs being to perfect how to do the Raid and get loot. The biggest drawback to Raids is the fact that you have to have a premade fireteam of 6 Guardians. Which for many people is either hard or impossible. That is why, if you search this forum you will find a lot of Clans (link is to our Giantbomb Destiny Clans) and Raid searching feature like 100.io (our 100.io page to find Raid Groups). You can also use sites like DestinyLFG.com or DestinyLFG.net, but those tend to be a mixed bag, as I've had better luck with other GBers from here. My biggest suggestion would be if you get Destiny, join one of our clans, work on getting leveled up, and try to get into groups with clanmates and have them help you along to understand parts of Destiny that may confuse you. Likely most of the time those guys will help you out, and Raid with you, as most Destiny players, like me have friends lists of over 50 other Destiny players to do activities with. Mine is closer to 90 Clanmates on PS4 and 120 PSN friends, but that's mostly because I play a lot and am a Clan leader of those 90 or so Guardians.

As it doesn't sound like you are much interested in PvP, all I will say is this. While is has huge problems, as I stated in another post above, its something I hated at first but grew to absolutely love once I understood it. In and of itself it's pretty fantastic, though I wish it's Matchmaking architecture wasn't as awful as it is, which causes bad lag issues. And Bungie has a bad habit of letting the PvP get stale by not changing things often enough, but those are nitpicks of someone who has put thousands of hours into it.

Here is why it's a great time to jump in right now. The Dawning, their Christmas event, kicks off tomorrow. So there should be a slight uptick in active players. Even without that Destiny is consistently a top 10 Twitch game, 28 months later, and PS4/Xbox One have well over 1 million active players each week, even in downtime. Plus it is highly likely (this is far from a guarantee, but is highly speculated) that Bungie is going to relaunch Vault of Glass, and Crota's End at current Light Level (or whatever the LL changes to) with the April Update early next year. So it is likely those activities will again become relevant and people will be running through them before Destiny 2. Buying Destiny now gives you plenty of time to get oriented with Destiny and level up before that launches in April, and then you can go back through the old Raids with fresh eyes so to speak.

If you can find Destiny The Collection on sale, it's a great value for your money. I've put several hundred hours into Rise of Iron alone. It's a game you can pretty much play endlessly. But it isn't a very good solo player experience and if that is what you are looking for, you may want to look somewhere else, because Destiny is at it's best when played with other people. Good luck with your PS4 Pro.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to like Destiny so very much.

I didn't

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get it, play it and just enjoy it. The content is fun and you can meet some cool people like Lasaan and Zev from Cerberus Wolves, or the various LFG sites.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't really have the patience to seek out strangers to play the game with, so it sounds like I should skip it based on all of you saying it's more a co-op shooter than anything else.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: I can tell you are passionate about this game. I respect that.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetz: We're not strangers! We're a family here at Giant Bomb!

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By OldManLight

@zevvion: idk man, destiny even identifies itself as a loot game. All the carrots at the end of the stick are all cosmetic or utilitarian in nature. Save for people getting world first in raids, or flawless in trials, bragging rights are not what this game is built on. I'll agree that the majority of the high end content is based on co-operative play but the incentive to engage in that is the loot. The reason people are soured on destiny is the abusive way the game handles the post game grind. For example, if i set up a series of gates around a running track and periodically opened one and told people to race to the next closed one. Then once the first person got there, i'd say ok, now wait until i open this next gate and then race to the next one, this may take a while. That is what they're doing with the player progression and instead of having a system in place that will constantly feed people higher level enemies with larger health pools that deal more damage like other loot games do, destiny locks in the values for everyone and every few months decides to tweak the difficulty up and open the next gate. Hardcore people race to the next one, get frustrated when they realize there's nothing for them to do with their progress once they get there and leave. That's the primary problem with Destiny.

That said, yes OP, there's definitely something worth seeing in Destiny if you've never experienced it. The secondary problem you'll run into is that some of the great older content that's no longer relevant will not be able to be appreciated because it's been left to rot in favor of whatever the current expansion and will no longer benefit you (loot wise) if you decide to do it. This is the secondary problem with Destiny.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hestilllives19

@oldmanlight: That's the thing though. Your absolutely right that Destiny has loot like other RPG's. I mean you have 10 Loot slots. 3 separate Gun slots, a Ghost, 5 Armor slots, and an Artifact that can now give you pretty amazing abilities that augment play. And those 10 Loots slots absolutely vary the way you play Destiny just like every RPG, and a Vault that can hold hundreds of Loot items. But for most Guardians, hitting Level Cap, or at least minimum level to not have a disadvantage in the Raids or other said events is a means to being able to do those events with friends because they are fun. Especially those of us who have, over the past two years, developed strong friendships with that groups of Guardians we do those type of activities with on a regular basis. The vast majority of my Raid group could kind of care less about the loot anymore, at least its the secondary concern to just taking some time to hang out with each other again, once a week for a few hours. We rarely even talk or focus on Destiny itself anymore, just shoot the s**t so to speak for awhile together, and Destiny is the backdrop. This obviously excludes the first few Raid clears (mostly), especially the first Heroic clear, and Trials of Osiris. Because those are more serious matters (maybe a better term is attention deserving, serious sounds kinda lame and exaggerated).

In essence, at least for me and most of the people I play with, we hit cap so we can just relax and start playing again. Start going after weapons with good perks and armor with good stat distributions/perks. I've been 400 since pretty quickly after Wrath of The Machine Heroic launched, but I'm just now getting weary of playing, because I've got to the point where I have every Exotic now, great weapons in every archetype, desirable perks/stats on every armor for every subclass I could want to use, so therefor now there isn't much to play for. And most importantly the vast majority of my friends have dropped now too. To be honest, the worst the game ever was in regard to LL was with The Taken King when hitting LL 320 was nearly impossible (before 1 to 1 infusion and guaranteed + LL drops). I honestly don't know anyone (all of which are 2,000+ hr players like me) on my friends list that hit 320 before the April Update. It was just grueling. I don't ever want Destiny to be in that kind of place again. It just wan't any fun. And because of the way Light Level is enable in places like Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, and Raids, having a LL number without a cap with difficulty increasing enemies would be a pretty bad time if you played others with a lot more time in Destiny than you. So I actually think Level Caps are a good thing in Destiny, but I'm all for what they have been doing in making hitting Level Cap easier and easier all the time (though for reference I wasn't a huge fan of the soft caps at 350 and 365 Rise of Iron originally launched with, and am thrilled those are gone now). I think the biggest complaints I've seen about "post game grind" come from a mindset like some of the GB staff has that they should be able to only put in 2-3 hours every time there is an update to get leveled up enough to do any content in the game at that point, such as the Raids. And there is no way around the fact that you have to put more time into Destiny than that to get the most out of it, a lot more. Otherwise you aren't even scratching the surface of what Destiny is, and there is no way it will ever be an enjoyable experience.

As far as your point two, it is highly likely that 2017's April Update will be revamped Y1 Raids, Vault of Glass and Crota's End. Cosmo has even hinted at the fact that they are seriously looking into the best way to bring back the Vex Mythoclast, the Vault of Glass Exotic Weapon. That and the 2/3 Strikes they relaunched are the 2 heavily influenced by both of those Raids with the changes they made. The Fallen one from House of Wolves just added Siva elements to go with Rise of Iron. I think the likelihood of this happening is extremely high, especially since it's easy for them to do, the community has been clamoring for it, and it would be a great way to Send Off so to speak Destiny 1.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldmanlight: To be fair. New content making older one obsolete is a problem with every MMO or heavy online reliant game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: idk man, destiny even identifies itself as a loot game. All the carrots at the end of the stick are all cosmetic or utilitarian in nature. Save for people getting world first in raids, or flawless in trials, bragging rights are not what this game is built on. I'll agree that the majority of the high end content is based on co-operative play but the incentive to engage in that is the loot. The reason people are soured on destiny is the abusive way the game handles the post game grind. For example, if i set up a series of gates around a running track and periodically opened one and told people to race to the next closed one. Then once the first person got there, i'd say ok, now wait until i open this next gate and then race to the next one, this may take a while. That is what they're doing with the player progression and instead of having a system in place that will constantly feed people higher level enemies with larger health pools that deal more damage like other loot games do, destiny locks in the values for everyone and every few months decides to tweak the difficulty up and open the next gate. Hardcore people race to the next one, get frustrated when they realize there's nothing for them to do with their progress once they get there and leave. That's the primary problem with Destiny.

That said, yes OP, there's definitely something worth seeing in Destiny if you've never experienced it. The secondary problem you'll run into is that some of the great older content that's no longer relevant will not be able to be appreciated because it's been left to rot in favor of whatever the current expansion and will no longer benefit you (loot wise) if you decide to do it. This is the secondary problem with Destiny.

You are incorrect. The core community does play for bragging rights. You want to finish the Raid, you want to get Flawless. There is no point to argue about whether loot is the driving factor of this game. It simply isn't. If you were to play Destiny with my friends who play Destiny every day, you'd quickly realize that none of them play for loot. It's all for the challenge, it's all for the fun. You even argue yourself it doesn't follow the template of a loot game. This is just a perfect example of your expectations not matching the game you're playing. It's literally someone playing Burnout and being upset it doesn't control realistically.

You are especially incorrect about your assumption how the hardcore community plays Destiny. This:

Hardcore people race to the next one, get frustrated when they realize there's nothing for them to do with their progress once they get there and leave.

is entirely inaccurate. Again, I play Destiny nearly every day because I am having fun with it more than any other game. I belong to the 'hardcore people' you describe and your description of me, my friends or the community gauged through LFG sites and Reddit is false.

To be clear, I'm not saying or arguing your opinion is wrong. If you don't like Destiny because it doesn't trace suit of loot games, then you don't like it and that's fair. But your assumptions about the community are just incorrect.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sweetz

Hey just wanted to follow up on this. I never did end up buying Destiny 1, but I did end up buying Destiny 2 on PC purely because I had friends who were getting it.

First of all, let me say that the community absolutely steered me in the right direction here and I'm very glad I did NOT buy Destiny on PS4. Judging by Destiny 2, I would not have enjoyed it at all without people that I know personally to play it with. Even with friends to play with, I'm struggling to maintain interest in Destiny 2 and my friends feel the same. While we've completed the campaign and some strikes, the game is already turning into more of a chore that it seems worth and I'm already questioning whether I'll ever do the raid.

Also, again assuming that Destiny 1 was very similar to 2, I would absolutely call it a loot game first and foremost. The campaign held almost zero interest for me as compared to more focused, traditional single player shooters. Nor does the quality of "shooting" seem that spectacular to me. The carrot-on-a-stick loot progression is basically the only thing keeping me going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.