Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

Should I get the expansion pass?

mrbob9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi, I played destiny up until I got around to 22 and gave up shortly after for other games. The part of the game I really enjoyed was shooting things and people and things. So with the current expansions both out what type of variety in the shooting of things does 35$ get me? How much of it is dependant on having a regular play group vs solo and pickup?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been wondering the same thing, but now they have new dlc coming out that isn't included in the pack and will probably be another 20dollars. I got to level 28 in the main game pretty much soloing and strikes, so the end game content never appealed to me since nobody i know who plays those types of games has a ps4. The time sink to do raids just seems like too much, destiny was a hop in do strikes, get loot, and hop out type of game to me.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@oursin_360: @mrbob9000:You should really only be considering getting the first two expansions if you're into the end game content. The story missions and strike in The Dark Below are, quite frankly, not very good. The raid is the only thing that makes that expansion worth a damn, and that wasn't even as good as the Vault of Glass. The story missions and strike in House of Wolves are much better, and the Prison of Elders does have a matchmade version. Even still, I wouldn't recommend it to someone that didn't have at least 2 other people to play with, since Trials of Osiris and high level Prison of Elders are the real draw.

With that having been said, the upcoming expansion, The Taken King, is going to have a lot more to offer to players that aren't necessarily doing end game content. It's going to have a much more substantial "campaign" component than the previous two expansions, even including a new patrol space (not technically a new planet since it's a massive space ship, but essentially a new planet). It's also going to have several new strikes that appear to be incorporating more mechanics driven boss fights as opposed to bullet sponges. Basically, The Taken King is actually an expansion, whereas the other "expansions" were pretty much just DLC. Of course it's also priced like an expansion, at $40.

If you're into the idea of more Destiny, but don't necessarily have much interest in the end game, I'd definitely say The Taken King is more for you than the previous expansions. The $60 box that comes with all previous content is the definitely the way to go, since you're paying much less than if you get them all separately and it will be a huge infusion of content all at once that will probably end up being more than all of vanilla Destiny.

Also, the base level will be increased to the point where you'll be able to things like Vault of Glass and Crota's End pretty much just by levelling up with experience (as opposed to the light level grind), which will make that stuff much more accessible for people put off by the post level 20 gear grind.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you have to buy the DLC's in succession to access everything? Or can I say, just buy the latest one and play that content.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfork said:

Do you have to buy the DLC's in succession to access everything? Or can I say, just buy the latest one and play that content.

The Dark Below and House of Wolves can both be played standalone, but you need to have everything to play The Taken King. If you don't have anything and want to play the Taken King, the cheapest way in is to simply get the $60 package, rather than buying each separately.

mrbob9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is right now with the current doc regardless of price a good place to get back into destiny if I have no console friends?

Putting this much effort in to asking what's up probably warrants paying to get in to see what's up

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zeik

Getting the expansion pass at this point is a waste of money, because it doesn't even come with The Taken King. Wait for the "Legendary" edition of The Taken King to get all that DLC plus The Taken King, plus another copy of the base game. (If you bought the physical edition of Destiny you could sell it or gift it.)

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By OldManLight

if you're planning to play regularly and you're ok with running Prison of Elders repeatedly to get up to max level and you don't want to be periodically shut out of the easiest ways to get Strange Coins, then yes, the expansion pass is worth the $35. If you just want to see the content once and never replay it, save your money.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It's well worth the money if your talking about it's value proposition. You can get hundreds of hours out of the DLC. But to do that you need to find a group of people you enjoy playing with. If you just plan on spending 6 hours playing the story missions then save your money for The Taken King and buy all of the existing content for $60. It's all about how you are going to treat Destiny, play daily, buy the pass, play for 6 hours then just go ahead and wait, because you will definitely feel ripped off if you don't play all 3 Prison of Elders challenge modes and Crota's End.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Substance_D

If you enjoy playing with friends (or random people) in PVP or PVE stuff, then get it.

If not, I'd wait until the Taken King expansion because in order to get much out of the House of Wolves content, you need to play in groups. If you don't have friends who play Destiny, you can find groups pretty easily on the Fireteams subreddit or LFG.

fishbuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar boat, just picked up vanilla Destiny a few weeks ago - absolutely fantastic gunplay and loot hunting. Got a Titan to 29. Having a lot of fun leveling up Iron Banner right now.

I'm so interested in pushing forward but I have absolutely zero interest in any kind of raid or activity where I need to have planned teammates.

Prison of Elders sounds like the most fun thing for me, can I do it with random groups like the strikes?

AlchemistZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlchemistZer0

I bought the season pass, don't waste your money. Unless you dont have a lot of gaming options and want to grind the same things over an over in hopes of loot or to level weapons an armor. I had far to many options so i let go of destiny. Pretty much one of the reasons i even bought my ps4.

AsherV20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fishbuddy: PoE has four flavors: Level 28, 32, 34, and 35. Level 28 has random modifiers for rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5 and a random boss at round 5 and supports matchmaking. So you can go in solo and the game will pair you up with other Guardians.

Levels 32 and higher require pre-made Fireteams and feature set rounds, modifiers and bosses. But you'll get drops enabling you to make purchases from Variks, the PoE vendor, as well as Etheric Light, the item needed to boost non-House of Wolves Legendary gear to top-end Year 1 stats.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By galacticgravy

@ll_exile_ll said:

...and that wasn't even as good as the Vault of Glass.

I found the Vault of Glass to be unbearable. This is coming from a long time MMO raider, so maybe my expectations were off. It was a slog and the bosses (except Atheon which I actually kinda liked) were just more waves of enemies over and over and over. That being said, what made it somehow worse than that?

I'm in the same boat, here. There's something I enjoyed about Destiny. I enjoyed the leveling and most of the missions. I enjoyed the strikes. The PvP was alright, but I'm not much of a competitive player anyway. All these season passes are going on sale now and I don't know if I should drop any more cash seeing as that the end game of vanilla didn't agree with me.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, you should get a good game!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll said:

I found the Vault of Glass to be unbearable. This is coming from a long time MMO raider, so maybe my expectations were off. It was a slog and the bosses (except Atheon which I actually kinda liked) were just more waves of enemies over and over and over. That being said, what made it somehow worse than that?

I'm in the same boat, here. There's something I enjoyed about Destiny. I enjoyed the leveling and most of the missions. I enjoyed the strikes. The PvP was alright, but I'm not much of a competitive player anyway. All these season passes are going on sale now and I don't know if I should drop any more cash seeing as that the end game of vanilla didn't agree with me.

If you didn't like Vault of Glass, maybe Destiny isn't for you. Almost everyone I know that plays a lot of Destiny is in agreement that Vault of Glass is the best thing in the game. If that didn't do it for you, I would suggest playing a different game.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hestilllives19
    @ll_exile_ll said:
    @galacticgravy said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

If you didn't like Vault of Glass, maybe Destiny isn't for you. Almost everyone I know that plays a lot of Destiny is in agreement that Vault of Glass is the best thing in the game. If that didn't do it for you, I would suggest playing a different game.

I think Trials of Osiris is currently giving Vault of Glass a run for it's money though. I wasn't typically a fan of Crucible, mostly because of lag problems it's pretty broken, but Trials runs have really got me into PvP. I think my Crucible K/D went from 1.03 to 1.55 in July (month to month, not total) from actually putting time into it.

@galacticgravy: As someone who hasn't played a lot of MMO's, I'm not sure what your expectations were, but personally I thought VoG was pretty great. It's encounters are a whole lot more varied than you give it credit for. VoG was attempting to teach you how the mechanics work, slowly, throughout the Raid. First you learn how the plates work outside to open the door, then you prevent sacrifices to points and being marked, next you learn Oracles, and then a major boss fight that uses Oracles/Marks and forces you to learn the Relic to take down the boss. After, you run through a very unique puzzle (Gorgon/Jumping) that has hidden loot throughout. Then a mini boss fight with 3 bosses that forces you to again use the Relic, learn Portals, constant marking to remove with Relic, and then sacrifices again at the end. Lastly you have Atheon who incorporates most of what you've learned so far and throws in a curveball of splitting your team in half each wave. Half of you open a specific plate that your team is on the other side of and avoid being blown up and clearing Supplicants, and the other has to use a Relic and defeat two different waves of enemies (dependent of which planet they are teleported to) while killing 7 Oracles before you run out of time. Once that is dealt with you get infinite powers and increased damage to take down the boss. I'm not sure how any of that could be considered "just more waves of enemies over and over and over" but to each his own I guess. I think what Exile was referencing with his comment about Crota not being as good as VoG was that it wasn't complicated. It was a sprint to the finish with a few interesting ideas along the way, but that left the heavy lifting to one player with a sword in the end. Not to say that Crota isn't fun, it is, it just wasn't the same as the first time you stepped into Vault of Glass. It also puts an unnecessary burden on the shoulders of one player in the end. Added to that it had a lot more round ending bugs that would cause an unavoidable wipe no matter how good you were (team wipe after killing Deathsinger for no reason, disappearing swords, rude Swordbearer who just runs off out of the fight for no reason, and ninja Crota moves). Most of that has been patched now, but it did take a little too long. Like Exile stated, if Vault of Glass was "unbearable" then maybe Destiny Raiding isn't for you.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ll_exile_ll said:
    @galacticgravy said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

I think Trials of Osiris is currently giving Vault of Glass a run for it's money though. I wasn't typically a fan of Crucible, mostly because of lag problems it's pretty broken, but Trials runs have really got me into PvP. I think my Crucible K/D went from 1.03 to 1.55 in July (month to month, not total) from actually putting time into it.

Agreed. Trials of Osiris is the main reason I still play Destiny. By now, at this time into the new expansion, I usually stop playing until the next one comes out since I have everything/did everything. Right down to the perfect roll of a Solar Jewel of Osiris. I still play because I love Trials. It is the best competitive multiplayer mode I've ever played.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoy Crota's End more than Vault of Glass. I think VoG is too slow and unrewarding. Drop rates in Crota's End are much better. I've run Vault of Glass a lot more than CE and still don't have all the weapons, let alone 3 copies of the ones I really like. I am only missing 2 Black Hammers to have 3 copies of every weapon I like in CE and have at least one of each. VoG also doesn't reward the opening of the Vault, Confluxes, Gorgon Maze and Platforms at all. In addition, I've never, ever, ever, ever gotten anything good from Oracles either, even though that takes for eeeeeeeeeever to do that part.

Everyone says they like VoG better, but in reality everyone jumps into a fresh CE run, while nobody wants to jump in anywhere before the Templar in VoG. It is ridden with unenjoyable sections that don't reward anything. Crota's End only had 2 problems. First, it can be completed without a full fireteam. I solo the Raid on Normal and usually do it with 2 or 3 on Hard. Personally, I don't consider this a problem. Second, it had tons of glitches preventing completion. That sucks. But it seems to have been fixed by now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Vault of Glass when I first played it. It still remains the best co-op experience I've had playing it blind with friends I met on Giant Bomb. But, after a certain number of completions, it really becomes busy work. Especially since it is unrewarding and sections of it are based on time rather than performance.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@zevvion said:

Agreed. Trials of Osiris is the main reason I still play Destiny. By now, at this time into the new expansion, I usually stop playing until the next one comes out since I have everything/did everything. Right down to the perfect roll of a Solar Jewel of Osiris. I still play because I love Trials. It is the best competitive multiplayer mode I've ever played.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoy Crota's End more than Vault of Glass. I think VoG is too slow and unrewarding. Drop rates in Crota's End are much better. I've run Vault of Glass a lot more than CE and still don't have all the weapons, let alone 3 copies of the ones I really like. I am only missing 2 Black Hammers to have 3 copies of every weapon I like in CE and have at least one of each. VoG also doesn't reward the opening of the Vault, Confluxes, Gorgon Maze and Platforms at all. In addition, I've never, ever, ever, ever gotten anything good from Oracles either, even though that takes for eeeeeeeeeever to do that part.

Everyone says they like VoG better, but in reality everyone jumps into a fresh CE run, while nobody wants to jump in anywhere before the Templar in VoG. It is ridden with unenjoyable sections that don't reward anything. Crota's End only had 2 problems. First, it can be completed without a full fireteam. I solo the Raid on Normal and usually do it with 2 or 3 on Hard. Personally, I don't consider this a problem. Second, it had tons of glitches preventing completion. That sucks. But it seems to have been fixed by now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Vault of Glass when I first played it. It still remains the best co-op experience I've had playing it blind with friends I met on Giant Bomb. But, after a certain number of completions, it really becomes busy work. Especially since it is unrewarding and sections of it are based on time rather than performance.

When I talk about Vault of Glass being the best thing in the game, that has nothing to do with rewards. I certainly agree that when Vault of Glass was the current end game content, the low drop rate was certainly frustrating, but that's really separate from the design of the raid itself. When I say that Vault of Glass is the best thing in the game, I am talking from a game design standpoint. As @hestilllives19 mentioned, VoG is great because of the way the mechanics and concepts are introduced and expanded upon over the course the raid. It's a great example of not only compelling cooperative gameplay that actually requires cooperation, but also of teaching the player mechanics organically and building upon and combining these mechanics as things progress.

You're free to prefer Crota's End for whatever reasons you choose, but I don't think it holds a candle to Vault of Glass, and whether or not the drop rate for rewards is more forgiving has nothing to do with the fact that from a design standpoint it's a lot weaker in my opinion. I completely disagree that CE has only two problems. A majort issue I have you did mention, the lack of a need for a full fireteam. I understand the appeal of just jumping in solo or with 1 or 2 other people for a quick and easy clear (which I also do with somewhat regularity), but to me defending that because it makes things easier is no different than defending all the various cheeses and exploits.

Even more of an issue than the fact that you don't need a full group to complete CE is the fact that it's actively a lesser experience with a full fireteam. All the encounters are faster (and in some cases easier) when you have fewer people. Even with a full team, the two main encounters (bridge and Crota himself) are designed in such a way as to have most players standing around doing nothing while 1 player is the center of attention. During the bridge it's one player at a time crossing while everyone else waits their turn to be the star. During Crota it's the sword holder that actually fights the boss while everyone else just stands around waiting to fire rockets when the sword holder tells them to. This isn't cooperative gameplay between six players, it's 1 player doing all the work while the other 5 watch.

Compare that to Vault of Glass, which has many instances where players genuinely have to work together. Making sure every oracle spawn is accounted for, coordinating home and away teams for the portals with multiple relic carriers, the teams being forcibly split up during the Atheon fight. All of these encounters give each member of the team a different role to perform, and everyone must be on point for success. The one encounter where you could say 1 player does more than everyone else is the templar fight, but even then the five players without the relic have plenty to do (covering multiple point in the area, dealing with detain shield, and obviously damaging the Templar itself) Of course, highly skilled players can do some of these things with less players, but because the raid is actually designed around cooperation, it is much harder to achieve undermanned and certainly a lot slower.

Then there's the difficulty. The difficulty of Crota's End relies almost entirely on throwing an obscene number of major enemies at players, combined with the original delta scaling of hard mode. Now that the delta scaling is no longer a concern, CE hard mode has become an absolute joke. Vault of Glass, on the other hand, it barely any easier at 34 than it was at 30 because the difficulty of the raid is based on the design of the encounters, not the level of the enemies. There are very few majors in the entirety of VoG, and most of the yellow bar enemies we do encounter are not true majors, with a lesser % damage penalty than normal majors. Despite the lack of delta scaling and the low number of major enemies, Vault of Glass is both more difficult than CE hard mode is now and has always felt like much more of a fair challenge than CE hard mode ever was.

Finally, I personally don't think rewards have any place in a discussion about the quality of an activity. At this point in the life of the game, I almost literally have everything in the game. Aside from Praetorian Foil, I have every raid weapon, ever exotic, every HoW elemental primary (and multiple versions of each); there is nothing in Destiny I want that I don't already have. If I choose to play a certain activity, I play it because I want to play it, not because I want to get stuff. On that note, I don't jump into checkpoints every time I play as you mentioned. If I play something it's because I actually want to play, not to get rewarded. Even before I had everything I never played Destiny for the loot. I play it to have fun with friends, I play it because I like the cooperation of raids and the competition of crucible. When I think about the activities I like and dislike in Destiny, it has everything to do with game design and nothing to do with rewards.

The only benefits Crota's End has over Vault of Glass is that it doesn't take as long to clear, you don't need to find a full team to clear it, and the rewards are more generous. The first two are not positives for me because a raid should be time consuming and a raid should be the ultimate cooperative experience. The last one is certainly a good thing, but it's only relevant when the activity is new. These many months later with loot no longer a concern, I would choose to play Vault of Glass over Crota's End every single time.

(If this comes off as hostile in any way, I apologize. This isn't meant to be an argument, just a detailed explanation of why I feel the way I do about these two raids. I directly addressed some of the points you made, but it's not meant as an attack, just a friendly debate.)

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@ll_exile_ll: I'm not disputing any of the points you made, I'm just saying it is precisely the reason why I prefer CE over VoG. Oracles take teamwork, absolutely. But it is only rewarding (in the sense of accomplishment) the first time you do it. Any point after that it is the ultimate busywork. It can't be done any quicker if you perform better. It always takes the same amount of time, which is to say way too much.

Crota's End was designed to feel like the pressure of time was on you. Every section needs to be completed fast. I much like that over the dragged out sequences like Confluxes and Oracles in VoG. The fact it is possible to do it solo doesn't mean it is any easier. Doing it solo is harder than with a full fireteam and whenever I do it I need to be focused on what I'm doing. Unlike Oracles, which is by far the easiest thing out of any section of any Raid, where people just talk about their day or other games to pass time while completing the slog that is the Oracle section. Zero effort is put into it.

Crota's End may be shorter, it may be faster and it may be less reliant on teamwork, but oh man is it much more engaging than Vault of Glass. That's not to say I think everything in Vault of Glass is boring, I still think Atheon is an amazing encounter and I still very much enjoy that one. But nearly everything else has my mind drifting off as I play through it. I can't say the same for CE.

Like I said before, I definitely liked VoG better the first time I played it than CE the first time I played that, but over time I've come to appreciate CE more just because replaying it is more engaging and appealing. Leaving drop rates aside even; I get more out of clearing that than VoG.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rich666

Honestly I have the season pass and never went to play the 2nd expansion. I actually deleted Destiny months ago, if that has anything to say about the quality of the game. A truly, truly disappointing game in all respects.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's worth it. The raid Crotas end is more respectful of your time investment than VOG ever was and the POE content is fun. The game is a lot less grinding with the new content than it was in the base game. For a parent with little free time it makes the game playable where the base game was just to big of a time sink.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I would say no only because you shouldn't support Bungies current business practices, but ultimately it's up to you what sort of price you're willing to put on fun.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

If you have friends that play a lot and will play with you then yes. If not then HELL no. I started playing recently because I got it all for free on another platform with friends that play it there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.