Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

So... It was a beta the whole time? Right?

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hotspray

Reading through the massive infodump from GI, it really does seem like I wasted 300 hours in a paid beta early access. The changes all seem terrific for Destiny, but mostly because of their bizarre omission from version 1. (or .5?)

With all the expansions in, TK content, new leveling system and actual integration of NPCS/Story, Destiny might actually play and look like a grown up AAA release. A game I might actually want to play.

Trouble is, I've already burned out to a point where I feel... Burned? I'm envious of new players who scoop up the bundle with an open mind. It seems like they might be getting something closer to what a lot of players wanted last September. Is this what early access feels like?

On an unrelated note, I feel like Bungie needs to stop having Developers recite rehearsed platitudes in their trailers and documentaries. If I have to listen to that goddamn cadence one more time. You know, the "Players are going to FEEL something. And we KNOW that. We WANT them to FEEL things in this WORLD. And they're going to SHOOT. GUNS. And we KNOW that."

*edit*

Yes, 300 hours in and didn't really enjoy it. Call it a journey into the heart of one man's darkened soul. I can't say why I did it... Maybe to bear witness. But mostly because I lack the constitution for suicide.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Junkerman

I agree with this sentiment; I've spent a fair share of hours with Destiny too and cant say that I really "like" the game. I think a lot of people are in that boat. We all ~want~ to like Destiny a lot because the game play thats there is amazing. Its a fun game with great gunplay that feels as good as Halo... it just fails to deliver on every other aspect of what brings people to a videogame.

I just started playing through the House of Wolves content and its improved the game vastly... its not enough but if they keep fixing it slowly I think it has a real shot of redeeming itself.... you know except for the fact its going to cost 200 bucks when all is said and done.

Meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

The most disappointing game of all time continues to disappoint

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a silly sentiment. A good game is getting better. I see it as Diablo III being good out the gate (despite what people thought), and getting better as time went along.

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: D3's issues and Destiny's issues are quite a bit different.

Diablo was a good, complete game, but the hardest difficulty was unfairly designed to only be accessible to those who want to spend money on the Auction House or the Real Money Auction House. The loot system in the game at inferno was designed to push you to use the AH, and spawned a bunch of theories that Blizz just wanted that RMAH cut. To rectify the issue they just cut out both auction houses and tweaked some drop numbers. Now long after Reaper of Souls, the game is in fantastic shape, and is supported amazingly. The changes every season have been substantial, and look to keep being high quality.

Destiny was (still is to some) a game that was very lacking in content when it launched, and had a horrible, horrible leveling wheel. The light system was just plain dumb. It's different when gear makes your character stronger due to stats you've already been dealing with throughout the game, but to introduce a brand new stat at 20, whose sole purpose is just to be a different way to say level 21-34, was so needlessly convoluted. I'm very glad they are scraping the idea and just making it a proper RPG character ladder. I think the loot system its self wouldn't have been a big deal, but when combined with the lack of any logical story, lack of content that clearly was cut due to time/dlc aspirations, and no meaningful experiences before the raids, Destiny year one was a big ol' package of thing not to do in a game, and hopefully lessons learned. House of Wolves was a bright spot in the first year, and how they made the game more interesting with that leaves me with small hope that Taken king will be good and restructure the game in a positive way.

That being said, the early PR for Taken King was so awful, I'm back to being skeptical.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, spoilers!
    The fact that it was a beta the whole time is the surprise twist ending.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I put about 200 hours in did the first raid multiples times on each difficulty, played alot of multiplayer, hit level 29 and quit. The most fun I had was shooting into the loot cave. Game is shit.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Did it meet expectations? No. Did I enjoy my 200+ hours with it? Yes.

I'm currently on a Destiny hiatus, but that doesn't mean I've abandoned it forever. I'm not jumping into Taken King immediately, though.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty expensive beta, then.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

While I wholeheartedly agree that the game has been and is massively flawed, that's just a silly thing to say. You might as well say that of any game that gets better with updates. The Witcher 3? Beta. Diablo 3? Beta. World of Warcraft? Beta.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny is an mmo, mmo's are never finished. Would you rather them leave most major changes unchanged and never improve their game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@hotspray: You should start doing things you enjoy more then.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

300 hours and you didn't enjoy yourself? That's on you, man. Life's too short to waste your time like that

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By GaspoweR

Just to clarify, are the changes that take into effect in the Taken King going to be applied to the game in general regardless of whether you bought the expansion or is it exclusive to it?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 61

@gaspower said:

Just to clarify, are the changes that take into effect in the Taken King going to be applied to the game in general regardless of whether you bought the expansion or is it exclusive to it?

Apply to the game as a whole, just like the Loot 2.0 stuff with Diablo III

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Locking all the content behind pricey dlc pushed me away from the game and i'll probably never come back. I wouldn't say i didn't enjoy it, but i did hit a point where it was no longer fun and leveling by doing boring ass bounties and the same strikes over and over made me realize i had no reason to play the game anymore.

Some of the new stuff seems cool, but it should all be free patches or at least most of it. I shouldn't have to pay more money for a complete game, fuck that. I get the whole "destiny is an mmo" thing but it's more like an mmo lite with all it's content stretched out so far that it felt like nothing but a bare bones empty grind.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm with basically everyone else: Destiny could've been so fucking great. It just needed more of everything.

Imagine if it was the Earth map, but seriously like 100x the size. You could be messaging a friend saying: "You should come online, I've found some ruins in the snowy district and there are some big ass creatures in there defending probably good loot."

All the changes kind of sound good, but you'll still be playing the same couple of instances over and over and over again..

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd hoped my preface would have spared the "300 hours? Life's too short as it is bro..." replies. But it does actually raise a question - How does that happen? Am I (and tons of others who say the same thing) just crazy? I'll break it down:

*I was massively hyped for Destiny. Like, child on Christmas hyped.

*There wasn't much else coming out at the time, since publishers intentionally got out of the way.

*All Co-Op games are fun with friends, even if only as an interactive skype session. The Destiny zeitgeist brought in a lot of RL friends who I don't ordinarily play games with.

*I bought into the Bungies marketing that "everything you do will matter to your characters long term development." I bought into the notion that the base game was a platform, and things would be added.

*Getting to 30 became a weird quest. I needed to put a period on my time with the game, and 30 was the clearest goal. So I did the raid. Then did it on a duplicate alt. And another duplicate alt. I was forever 29 until a week or two before the expansion. Finally got pants and was "ready" for the expansion.

*At this point I was burned out, disillusioned with the obvious cut DLC content, flawed leveling system, lack of any in game communication/lfg flagging, etc. It took a long time to really grasp the profound disappointment of Destiny, but it did fill a coop/pvp with friends niche for a while. Eventually everyone else scattered, better games came out and that's that.

All of that took probably 250 hours over several months, with X hours added on from idling.

takayamasama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotspray: I hear ya man. I tried playing the game twice. Once at launch on one console, then after House of Wolves on the other...so I bought it twice during the last year.

Each time I played it I was really trying to make it something special, as it really really should have been. Admittedly, it was way more fun to come back to after the two DLC packs were added, there was still a lot wrong and missing. I still put a lot of hours into it though, and got Skolas dead...so I accomplished some stuff.

I like HoW a lot but I'm still skeptical on Destiny. I think it's in a really weird spot, where it could fully redeem itself soon, or put the final nail in the coffer of disappointment.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wtf does LFG even mean? Lame fucking game?

Anyway thats why destiny is supposed to have friggen match making...

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bungie spend most of their time fixing the game I wonder how much new content will actually be in the TTK, also Destiny's biggest problem atm is the atrocious lag in crucible.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By LawGamer

When I was a kid I was really good at seeing hard to notice details, but often times had a lot of difficulty noticing really obvious things. For example, at Easter, my parents would hide easter eggs around the house along with a much larger easter basket. The easter basket was usually in some really apparent right-in-front-of-you place, but I was so focused searching every nook and cranny in the house for easter eggs that I'd often miss it, thus forcing my parents to spend a ton of time gently trying to guide me to the easter basket while getting very frustrated in the process.

The reason I share that little anecdote is because I sort of feel like Bungie is me at Easter - they're so focused on the little issues that they don't seem to notice the bigger problems that need to get fixed. For example, apparently they are re-recording Dinklage's lines with Nolan North (who else?). That's very nice, and will probably be an improvement, but if you were to list all of the issues with the game that need to be changed, that one so far down the list I don't think I'd even have put it on there. In other words it's an easter egg, not the easter basket. They have much larger problems like a lack of matchmaking, lag in the Crucible, guilds still being useless, a lack of content, etc. that just aren't getting addressed, and at this point I'm really doubtful they ever will.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

So, how far has this game come in terms of content since release? I'm wondering if I would be interested. I mean, for me, I thought the gameplay was solid; the visuals were good and sound design was too, but I just played through the lackluster story, and was done; I haven't touched it since. Could I even play it now, or would I have to play a lot before moving onto anything interesting since I am so far back level wise? I was really hoping Destiny would come out and give us all, or most of the planets, and perhaps moons in our solar system (at first, only to expand outward) to explore, but it was really lacking there with only a few places to go. I was also hoping for a more interesting story, even if only slightly. I just wanted a game where I would get to explore, and that's not necessarily what it was. That said, I kind of knew what to expect coming up to its release, and knew I wasn't sure about the story from the get-go, which didn't matter quite as much as long as it was a game about environmental story telling through a great atmosphere. Also, I wish it was splitscreen, just because that would have probably made it have more replay value. Also, is it something I can do without friends?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@ntm: It depends on what you call content; there are arguably no new areas outside of the raids. The new missions just take you through the same spaces we've been through many times already but there is better sound bites narrating your actions and the action set pieces themselves are a lot more interesting I found.

Because of this I find it hard to quantify what is really there; I say it took me maybe two hours to do all of the House of Wolves content not counting loading screens. The best addition was the arena challenge maps which is basically Horde mode from other games and can be a lot of fun. Somehow I find it easier to swallow doing the same map over and over again if that's the premise. With the missions its like they're saying "Here is something new!" ...when in reality its just a more convoluted horde mode where you fight a giant version of a regular mob at the end.

Destiny is Halo with no cut-scenes or Cortana narrative set on three large maps... somehow I think I'd still rather play a rip off of Silent Cartographer then find another flimsy excuse to go back into the Hellmouth again.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Destinies Don't Die.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It blows my mind that someone that hates a game plays THAT MUCH of it. I mean, surely after the 50 hour mark you'd known if you'd like it or not. Why go on? There is so many other video games out there to enjoy.

To me, Destiny is a very mediocre game. The shooting is god damn solid and the visuals are nice, but everything else is pretty meh. I'm currently level 34 at about 75 hours. I like this game, but don't love it. Out of that 75 hours I'd say that i've played it solo maybe 3 hours total. The other 72 hours has been purely with friends. So with that said, I think that Destiny is a great game if you have friends who have the game as well. If it weren't for my friends, I'd have put the game down after the initial "story" missions were over.

Do I feel burned? Absolutely not. I could've stopped playing it at any time, just like anyone else here could have. That's just how games are these days. Buy a game day one and experience the zeitgeist, or wait a year until patches fix all the problems with the game and expansions add to it.

And guess what. Year 3 is probably going to be even better than year 2. And year 4 might be better than year 3. I don't feel burned for a game being better than it was a year ago. That's a good thing.

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdub901 said:

It blows my mind that someone that hates a game plays THAT MUCH of it. I mean, surely after the 50 hour mark you'd known if you'd like it or not. Why go on? There is so many other video games out there to enjoy.

To me, Destiny is a very mediocre game. The shooting is god damn solid and the visuals are nice, but everything else is pretty meh. I'm currently level 34 at about 75 hours. I like this game, but don't love it. Out of that 75 hours I'd say that i've played it solo maybe 3 hours total. The other 72 hours has been purely with friends. So with that said, I think that Destiny is a great game if you have friends who have the game as well. If it weren't for my friends, I'd have put the game down after the initial "story" missions were over.

Do I feel burned? Absolutely not. I could've stopped playing it at any time, just like anyone else here could have. That's just how games are these days. Buy a game day one and experience the zeitgeist, or wait a year until patches fix all the problems with the game and expansions add to it.

And guess what. Year 3 is probably going to be even better than year 2. And year 4 might be better than year 3. I don't feel burned for a game being better than it was a year ago. That's a good thing.

Let it blow your mind no longer, I broke it down in a post above. It was a coop game that brought a lot of friends in, released in a relatively empty window.

The topic of feeling burned doesn't have to do with "The game is better now than when I bought it? BULLSHIT!" It's more that Bungie released a woefully incomplete, muddled and poorly designed beta with a tidal wave of hype and misleading videos. A year later, I feel like I unwittingly paid to beta test for everyone who jumps in with Taken King.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Taken King is going to be $40 for like 1/4th the content that was in the base game.

Destiny wasn't a Beta. It's an ongoing experiment to see how much money can be extracted from gamers for the least amount of content, and Destiny is showing that the average $60 is vastly underpriced considering what gamers will accept. I mean look at the amount of content in GTA V, which cost $60 (though you could spend money on microtransactions online if you want) then look at Destiny which, if you bought stuff as it was released, would set you back a cool $140 once the Taken King is released.

As for people who wonder how so many people put so much time into Destiny but don't really like it, well it's because Destiny is A) ALMOST a very good game and B) Extremely grindy.

The shooting and basic gameplay in Destiny is great, and the graphics are colorful and impressive. It's made by people who know how to make extremely good games. So you play and you notice that there's really no story (or even CHARACTERS) but there are hints of a great expansive world with deep lore, and you get disappointed by enemies who never do anything interesting and bosses who are just big damage sponges, but you are told that the raid is AWESOME and you keep going because the game is ALMOST good. You get screwed by the cryptarch a few times (they sort of fixed this) and you play the crucible to get some crucible marks and you buy some equipment with decent light stats and you're on the treadmill.

But the secret is that it never really gets good. Not when you go on the raid, not when you get Gjallahorn, never. It's just...empty. There's not enough there. And it won't get good with the Taken King. Because Destiny ultimately hates its players. You can see it in the cryptarch, in the light system, and in the way developers talk about players. Destiny isn't meant to be fun, it's made to be addictive.

I'd love to hear the story behind Destiny some day. It seems clear that a different game existed once, with a more expansive story and much more content at launch, but for some corporate or design hubris it got gutted and what we were left with is a shell. And instead of filling in that shell Destiny keeps painting small details on it and charging obscene amounts.

$40 for 1/4th the content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.