Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Destiny

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Sep 09, 2014

Shoot your way across the solar system to level up and collect new loot in this multiplayer-focused first-person shooter from Bungie and Activision.

The Dawning - Free December Update

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

The Dawning is a free minor DLC update for Destiny, specifically Rise of Iron. It will bring:

• SRL Racing, rumored to be a three week event
    • New Quests, specifically highlighting the Vanguard. It's possible there are some minor quests in here as opposed to the usual holiday nonsense quests
    • Vanguard Elite Strike Scoring, as someone who liked scoring in Prison of Elders, I'm glad to see this added to Strikes
    • New gear, Vanguard and Crucible updated gear. No light level increase
    • Ice Breaker is back
    • Solar and Void versions of Thunderlord are obtainable
    • 'New' Sparrows, and with new they mean new paint jobs. Same models as before
    • New SRL tracks
    • Timed Christmas and New Years event that lasts through January, complete with holiday quests and Christmas themed gear

I am looking forward to it myself. I'm glad they are bringing an update that is a bit more beefy than their usual holiday nonsense like Festival of the Lost. I'm especially looking forward to Strike scoring. Should make that more interesting for a bit. Very curious to see what new quests they are talking about, but I won't hold my breath for anything substantial. Not really looking forward to any of the new weapons though. I don't care for Exotic heavies that much. I don't know what those machine guns can do in terms of perks, but if they are just Solar and Void augments of Thunderlord, then I don't need them. Also don't care too much for SRL. I will have fun in there for a bit, but not a huge draw. I do like the sound of new gear though. Always looking to fashion up the best I can.

All in all, it sounds like a pretty decent update considering it's free. Though it won't be enough for long. This is content you can chew on for a month max. If the next update will be in April as before, then that's not good enough. I hope they are going to step things up this year.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Hestilllives19

@zevvion: A few updates to your list.

• Skeleton Keys drop rate increased (thank goodness). - Patrick Casey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GVVfwXE550
    • At it's conclusion Sparrow Racing WILL be added to Private Matches.
    • Strike Scoring will also remain after the end of The Dawning event.
    • 3 Revamped Strikes - Taniks, Omnigul, and the Nexus all coming back and revamped. I've watched the Nexus, it's pretty great and uses Vault of Glass mechanics like the Relic or Cleansing spots depending on which instance you get. - Mesa Sean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgVx0h45wK0
    • Thunderlord copies are named Abbadon (Solar) and Nova Mortis (Void). They seem to have the exact same perks as Thunderlord.
    • Icebreaker's recharge rate on shots has again been changed from the now 8 seconds to 6 seconds. When it originally launched it was 5 seconds.
    • Green Engrams will automatically dismantle into Weapon/Armor parts (triggered by reaching level 40).... hip hip horray, hip hip horray. That was very annoying.
    • An Ornament Kiosk is being added so that once you have obtained an Ornament, you always have said Ornament (this likely means dismantle and rebuy are the same amount of Silver Dust). Very good change.
    • With that, now Ornaments are individually purchasable from the Ornament Kiosk for 25 Silver Dust. You no longer have to buy boxes in hope you obtain a specific Ornament. This is a fantastic change and hopefully a new direction for how their Eververse Microtransactions will work for loot in general. At least that's my hope.
    • There is a new Record Book for SRL, which is free this time (should have been the first time too).
    • Likely no update to Vault Space according to Deej, he's says they are pushing Kiosk's to improve Vault Space at this time. Many are asking for a Raid Kiosk if that is the case that will store any and all obtained Raid Gear. One for all Iron Banner Legendary Gear would be nice as well, be no news on these, just rumors.

All of this comes with a suspicion of the only thing happening when this is supposed to launch that I was going to be excited about NOT happening. A few Bungie employee's were asked at PSX about if there were Weapon/Class Balance changes coming with the launch of The Dawning, especially since this is around the exact time in the quarter they regularly do that, and the fact that they barely touched those things at the launch of Rise of Iron and mentioned a later Weapon/Class Balance change. They either declined to comment or said that wasn't something they were talking about at this time (they did so in a way that many on Reddit think it may not be happening). The last major Class/Weapon Balance change was back in December 2015 that fundamentally changed the way Destiny worked, and many (myself included) are really looking forward to a major shakeup to the current Meta or way the games weapons and abilities interact with each other because as it stands right now Destiny is not in a very fun place, and has been in that not very fun place for a very long time. Honestly if a Weapon/Class Balance doesn't happen, I'm not sure anything Destiny does with The Dawning will bring me back at all, so I will be very sad if Bungie wasn't just being coy about what they will change a week from tomorrow.

Edit: 12/19

Things actually added in the update in addition to the things already listed.

• Crucible bounties and Jolly Holiday can no longer be completed in SRL
    • Dead Guardians are automatically revived at the end of Strikes
    • Fixed an issue where enemies did not exit spawn locations correctly (they shouldn't sit behind the spawn anymore without coming out)
    • Reduced incoming burn on Strikes (seems to match the 2x we do to enemies, was 2x/3x, now seems to be 2x/2x)
    • Increased Archon's Forge starting time from 5s to 10s (prevents the presenter from getting locked in the room and losing his offering, happened to me multiple times early on)
    • Archon's Forge now prioritizes dropping combatant type offerings of the bounties you have in inventory
    • Xur now again sells Exotic Shards
    • Xur sells Heavy Ammo in Stacks of 10 rather than 3, for 3 coins instead of 1.
    • Players can purchase Wormspore from the Vanguard Quartermaster
    • Brother Vance can exchange Motes of Light for Passage Coins, and vice versa (1 Mote per Passage Coin, 3 Coins per Mote)
    • Nightfall is a guaranteed Skeleton key on first completion by account of the week
    • Legendary Gunsmith Weapons from Rank 2 are now repurchaseable
    • If everyone in a Crucible Matches waves at the start of Heavy in Crucible, Heavy ammo disappears from the map
    • Increased Trials and Iron Banner vanity item drop rates
    • Added back Y2 Crucible weapons to PGCR (Public Games Crucible Rewards, basically normal PvP): Party Crasher +1, Ash Factory, Eyasluna, Red Spectre, and NL Shadow.
    • Fixed tons of other minor issues, check out the full list here
    BeardDuder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BeardDuder

Thanks for the great info! Looking forward to the update.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Zevvion

@hestilllives19: I'm not really looking forward to a balance update to be honest. Not because I don't want one, but because it won't be a good one. They have proven time and time again to just nerf things to the ground whenever they buff something else. I really don't want to have a better sniper rifle in exchange for having my Last Word suck even more. Or having my precious Hammers be nerfed into the floor because they were OP before.

Balancing means they should make every archetype/subclass/option viable. But whenever something is OP, they nerf it into the floor until unusability or unreasonable underperformance at best. I just want to snipe and pull my Last Word when Shotgunners are doing their nonsense. Then use my hammers to smash my own face into theirs so they explode. That's all. Last Word is usable now at least, if they are going to buff every primary but not Last Word, it will be trash. Which is something I can definitely see them overlooking. Sunbreakers are still broken, which I don't think they'll ever address because they were OP before. Suncharge is busted. It doesn't snap to valid targets on your trajectory and one in six times does no damage on a clean connect. It just pushes them back. Not to mention the melee occasionally not doing base damage and the unreasonable low damage of the Thermite Grenade compared to Voidwall (or perhaps Voidwalls unreasonable high damage. I can't remember a time where that hit me and I didn't walk away at least as weak as a Lightning Grenade would hit me).

Long story short, I can currently use my sniper and my Last Word while kind of being a Hammer Bro. Leave my precious playstyle alone. I don't want it nerfed any further.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@zevvion: I agree to an extent. What they have done before is no bueno. But what they have been talking about recently, Cosmo at least, is buffing primaries, and Shotgun useage is out of control. They need to do something about it but the funny thing is Shotgun's themselves aren't really great performers so nerfing them would be way the wrong move. It's the abilities that promote their play, Amplitude and Juggernaut, and slow Primary TTK from all of the nerfs. Another big thing people in the community have been harping at them about, and they have noticed is Ghost Bullets. I have a feeling that will get fixed, at least to an extent. So if anything, The Last Word would come out as strong as ever, which would be another great stop gap to Shotguns, having a true counter to them like we always had before The Last Word was nerfed into the ground.

All in all I'm just hoping for change. The game in it's current state isn't fun, at all. I got 3 Flawless this weekend, and honestly it made me not want to play this game anymore. And that was on Widows Court, one of my favorite maps in the game. Seriously, I love it, but this Meta is just trash. It's easily my least favorite situation this game has ever been in since I started really playing PvP back in House of Wolves. It's sad when a game I've put in 3,000 hours into, and never really "gave up on" make me not want to turn it on at all.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By stackboy

I'll definitely check this out when it launches, been a while since I booted up Destiny.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Thanks for posting this list. I'm disappointed that they haven't fixed the "cannot connect to target player" issue with two local consoles. :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.