Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Detroit: Become Human

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 25, 2018

An interactive drama from the studio behind Heavy Rain, Detroit follows three androids in near-future 2038 as more androids in the city become fully sentient.

Quantic Dream's GDC 2012 "Kara" demo announced as Detroit: Become Human.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JCTango

It's been years since Kara was just a GDC 2012 demo

I don't know about you guys but when I first saw this, I REALLY hoped this was a trailer for an upcoming Quantic Dream game - the voice acting by Valorie Curry, the writing, and the subject matter of what it means to be human moved me so much. I was so disappointed when I found out it was just a showcase of what their engine could do.

It's now 2015 - and on October the 27th, Quantic Dream releases the trailer for Detroit: Become Human during Sony Playstation Games Week:

The feelz.

I know some people don't really like the games QD puts out, and some may say this story has been done before... but damn if I'm not excited to pop this in and cry many tears in front of the television.

-JC

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Yep love these games I can't wait!

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So very happy about this announcement!

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm very glad they revisited this idea. For as hit or miss Quantic Dream is as a studio (IMO), I still manage to be intrigued by each of their projects.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mannymar: Agreed! They aren't scared to push the envelope a bit with subject matter - and it's all handled very well with gravitas.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Trailer looks alright, but since it's probably made by David Cage, i'll have to pass on that. Shame.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Everything about this is right up my alley. I like Quantic Dream's games, but there's always one or two glaring plotholes and a handful of awkward scenes or something that stop them from reaching their full potential so to speak, so I'm really hoping they knock this out the park. Especially since no one else is really making big budget games like this (aside from Super Massive with Until Dawn I guess).

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@babychoochoo: Indigo Prophecy and Beyond: Two Souls' third acts left sour tastes in my mouth ._. I'd like to think they learned their lesson not to go too crazy, but I doubt it. Still won't take away from the rest of the game, though... I hope! : )

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Looks pretty cool. The original concept trailer was definitely something special, but I wonder if it'll have legs for a full game.

I feel like we don't get a lot of games about a machine uprising where they aren't the bad guys.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I like the idea of Quantic Dream games. But holy shit does David Cage not know how to write with subtlety to save his life. Beyond was such a good idea that was horribly mangled. I want to believe in this and hell I'll most likely buy it but I'm not going to get super hyped for it yet.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By InternetDotCom

I think the games are always worth playing even if the last half of all of them are me saying

HA LOOK AT THIS DUMB WRITING. I still laugh every time I think about the twist in Heavy Rain

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

To me the trailer just feels so basic, like its the first android existential drama ever. When that is far from true. I have zero faith in David Cage as a writer to do this with any sort of interesting twist to it or exploring the themes in any meaningful way.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I loved that video when I first saw it, and hope they don't retroactively fuck it up with this game.

The trailer's got me cautiously optimistic. That and Wild were the most interesting things to come out of that conference. Androids and shaman.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked indigo prophecy and beyond two souls, but the story this game is telling seems to have been told already a million times over. It looks cool though and hopefully has better writing/acting than heavy rain.

shamusisaninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man Indigo Prophecy was so huge for me as a teen, and I genuinely loved Heavy Rain, Beyond was not an amazing game game by most standards but this looks super interesting and I am sucker for this kind of setting so I am hoping for the best.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would've been more hyped up if this was a spiritual successor to Robocop.

Also this seems like a proper sequel to the film "Ex Machina" with how the premise is set up.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really have wanted a game where the protagonist was an android searching for their humanity. Hopefully this focuses on a more personal story and doesn't delve into world saving bullshit. I know David Cage doesn't have the best track-record, however I'll keep my eye on this one. Also, it's superficial, but the game's name is really dumb.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

And people though Horizon: Zero Dawn was a bad name? Wowzers

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I'll add it to the watch list because it's a David Cage game but I'm not sold yet.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Certainly a prequel to Las Vegas: Remain A Robot

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was really hoping they'd turn that into a game. I haven't really been a fan of their finished works, but MAN they come up with a good premise.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like an interesting premise. Could be an interesting title.

As a side note, anybody else think the lead character looks a little bit like Jennifer Lawrence?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really have wanted a game where the protagonist was an android searching for their humanity. Hopefully this focuses on a more personal story and doesn't delve into world saving bullshit. I know David Cage doesn't have the best track-record, however I'll keep my eye on this one. Also, it's superficial, but the game's name is really dumb.

And people though Horizon: Zero Dawn was a bad name? Wowzers

LOL... Yeah... Not a huge fan of this name at all. Could've used their imagination a bit better here.

Looks like an interesting premise. Could be an interesting title.

As a side note, anybody else think the lead character looks a little bit like Jennifer Lawrence?

I've noticed a few ppl mention this today - I don't really see it D:

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By MEATBALL

Needs more David Bowie.

I don't know if I can tolerate Cage/Quantic Dream's work at this point; hope it's a lot better than Beyond: Two Souls. Dig the concept, even if it's not entirely original.

She better not wind up fighting the internet.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this one is good, I haven't really enjoyed a Quantic Dream game since Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) came out. I was interested in Heavy Rain but I got a PS3 so late in it's cycle that the train was already gone for me, both the demos for Heavy Rain and Beyond didn't entice me.

I'm a bit skeptical, the theme seems interesting, but the trailer sounds and feels extremely pretentious, like it's the first android drama ever or something and knowing Quantic Dream's and David Cage's path, I'm afraid this feeling I have might be on the final game as well.

The graphic's didn't blew me way (looks like it's Heavy Rain's engine updated), but I have to say I was impressed with Kara's facial movement in the last scene.

Also, the concept artist for this game is an artist I follow and really enjoy his work, so at least I have that to look for!

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that David Cage most often outright steals ideas from other things, and this sort of subject matter is already very, very well worn territory, I doubt this is going to be any better than his previous attempts at Drama. At least his games are always great for making fun of. In a way, I look forward to exploring weird French Detroit and seeing all it's signature lavomatiques.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if they're just using Valorie Curry's likeness or if she's the voice and mo-cap actor for Kara? I enjoyed her acting on House of Lies, got me curious to see her acting on this one.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if they're just using Valorie Curry's likeness or if she's the voice and mo-cap actor for Kara? I enjoyed her acting on House of Lies, got me curious to see her acting on this one.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure they asked her to come on-board :).

I like her acting too - not a huge stretch they would ask her to do mo-cap (especially facial expressions)

Here she is behind-the-scenes doing Kara in 2012:

Loading Video...
    Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate at the very least what Cage and Quantic Dream are trying to do, even if I think that mostly everything they have done is not all that great.This may turn out okay, if only as a graphical tech demo.

Hopefully we won't have a repeat of a suicide scene as it happened in Beyond Two Souls. Seriously, skip to 2:55 in this video. The way the subject is approached is kind of disgusting, and I surprised that Cage seemed to receive very little criticism with regards to this. It's not as much as the act itself, as what happens afterwards, with the game seemingly trying to do a positive spin on the decisions that were made. I'm just going to spoiler block it, just in case. It kept on screwing up on me, sorry if anyone gets spoiled by the video title.

Loading Video...

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I passed on Beyond: Two Souls but this looks interesting, especially after that Kara tech demo.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Man, this game sounds and looks incredible. I'm so happy they're capitalising on the world they established in Kara (though I wish she was still a brunette).

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more Willem Dafoe! I enjoy David Cage's games, European version of America and all.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great premise, just like QD's other games and those had flawed narratives in ways I just couldn't ignore. I hope it ends up good, but I'm cautious. David Cage tends to miss the mark consistently and I wouldn't be shocked if it happened here.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£10 says Kara winds up leading an android rebellion against some otherworldly threat.

ChocolateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see mankind is divided about this human revolution taking place in Detroit. I'm sure David Cage's writing will be as subtle as that last sentence of mine.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm cautiously optimistic. I loved Heavy Rain, but Beyond sucked. We'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.