Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - First Impressions

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By ttocs
    PC Box shot
    PC Box shot

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a game that I have been looking forward to for quite some time. I was a fairly big fan of the original, and even though the second was hated by most PC gamers, I actually quite liked it. Prior to it's release, you heard nothing but good things about the newest Deus Ex and one such story told that the PC version wasn't just a direct port. With that in mind, I pre-ordered the game on Steam and began playing two nights ago. After putting over 10 hours or so into the game, I feel that I can give an honest impression on how it's gone so far. So, without further adieu, my thoughts on Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If you have played any of the previous Deus Ex games, you know what to expect. There's a lot of heavily modified humans which gives them an almost superhero like powers along with big corporations and shadowy corporate agendas. The game actually takes place about 25 years prior to the first Deus Ex, so the world is a little more chaotic. Human modification with bionic arms and other such devices is a bit of a hot button issue. On one side, you have scientists and corporations citing the life saving ability while on the other side you have purists who claim it's against human nature. Throw in some socio-economic issues and the world is rife for chaos.

No Caption Provided

You play as Adam Jensen, head of security for a company call Sarif Infustries. This company is one of the forerunners in human mechanical augmentation and as a result suffers an attack on the eve of a big announcement the company was going to make. In the scuffle, you are nearly killed only to be brought back with an insane amount of modifications. From here on out, you are equipped to find out who called the hit in on your company (and as a result caused some personal strife for Adam) and bring those people to justice.

As in other Deus Ex games, you are given a lot of choice in how you want to complete a mission. Do you run through the front door guns blazing or do you sneak in through the back? You can also play the social game and try to talk your way into places. All are an option thanks to the mechanical augmentations you have built into your body. Every level you will gain a point to put into these augmentations improving some and opening up others for the first time. The way that the developers built this system is seamless. You acquire the points at specific XP intervals as well as through buying them (although in limited supply) from stores. Early in the game you may feel a little under powered, but thankfully you get points to place soon enough and the badassery begins. Hacking was something I found I needed early on to complete some of the early side quests, so a little protip is to invest in 2 or 3 of hacking as soon as you can. From there the choices are yours and they really are plentiful. I always find myself anxiously looking forward to the next point I'm going to receive to try out a new power or improve upon one. It's very addictive and you can see your character becoming better and better as time goes on.

In Deus Ex, you can focus on Stealth or Gunplay or also a mixture of the two. I'm going for the mixture. I'm finding that stealth is amazing and really fun. On the PC, holding the right mouse button sticks you to a wall in third person perspective giving you a wide view of the area. I'll take people out in the shadows as much as I can, but I also carry some weapons for when things inevitably go hairy. Stealth is so fun because of the tools that are given to you. You can approach someone from behind and perfom a quick stun or kill move to silently remove the enemy from combat. Be careful though, because if you only stun his buddies can wake him up and they will be alerted to your presence. Pull the body aside to avoid this and hide it well, just like you would in a Metal Gear Solid game.

No Caption Provided

Gunplay in DE:HR is nothing to scoff at either. It can be just as fun running from cover to cover mowing down enemies with your weapons. Weapon mods and augs that improve gunplay are a plenty so you can always tweak what you want to do or become. The mix of stealth and gunplay has been a blast so far and I'm really enjoying it.

The graphics in Deus Ex: HR are fantastic. The world has a very golden glow to it which sort of reminds me of a Blade Runner type world. There are some long load times between areas but they don't happen that often and I did find myself forgetting about the issue as time went on. I played this game on the PC with max settings and it was amazing. I haven't seen the console versions so I can't really speak to them.

One thing I typically don't touch on in first impressions is music but in this case, I think I have to. The music is hauntingly wonderful with a touch of despair. When the action gets heavy, the music reacts and really blends into the background while at the same time being ever present in your mind. The music reflects the mood and at times even caused some anxiety about what's around the corner. They did a great job with the music and a soundtrack wouldn't be a bore to listen to.

No Caption Provided

One final note about the game that really impressed me - the level of detail with the story. Everywhere I go there are emails, PDAs, eBooks, etc. waiting to be picking up/hacked and read. If you are a story nut like I am, you are going to have a field day. The story is very throught out and doesn't treat you like a dumb consumer. You will have no idea what some of the story items being referred to are at first, but remember them and it will pay out.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution can easily be categorized as a candidate for Game of the Year. Not many games pay so much attention to detail, show so much polish, and keep you as invested in the story as Deus Ex: Human Revolution has. I'm looking forward to completing the game to find out exactly what's going on in this world and give the game another playthrough with a different loadout of augmentations. I hope this first impressions proved helpful to you and if you have any questions about anything in the game, feel free to post a comment and I'll respond ASAP. Thanks for reading.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By ttocs
    PC Box shot
    PC Box shot

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a game that I have been looking forward to for quite some time. I was a fairly big fan of the original, and even though the second was hated by most PC gamers, I actually quite liked it. Prior to it's release, you heard nothing but good things about the newest Deus Ex and one such story told that the PC version wasn't just a direct port. With that in mind, I pre-ordered the game on Steam and began playing two nights ago. After putting over 10 hours or so into the game, I feel that I can give an honest impression on how it's gone so far. So, without further adieu, my thoughts on Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

If you have played any of the previous Deus Ex games, you know what to expect. There's a lot of heavily modified humans which gives them an almost superhero like powers along with big corporations and shadowy corporate agendas. The game actually takes place about 25 years prior to the first Deus Ex, so the world is a little more chaotic. Human modification with bionic arms and other such devices is a bit of a hot button issue. On one side, you have scientists and corporations citing the life saving ability while on the other side you have purists who claim it's against human nature. Throw in some socio-economic issues and the world is rife for chaos.

No Caption Provided

You play as Adam Jensen, head of security for a company call Sarif Infustries. This company is one of the forerunners in human mechanical augmentation and as a result suffers an attack on the eve of a big announcement the company was going to make. In the scuffle, you are nearly killed only to be brought back with an insane amount of modifications. From here on out, you are equipped to find out who called the hit in on your company (and as a result caused some personal strife for Adam) and bring those people to justice.

As in other Deus Ex games, you are given a lot of choice in how you want to complete a mission. Do you run through the front door guns blazing or do you sneak in through the back? You can also play the social game and try to talk your way into places. All are an option thanks to the mechanical augmentations you have built into your body. Every level you will gain a point to put into these augmentations improving some and opening up others for the first time. The way that the developers built this system is seamless. You acquire the points at specific XP intervals as well as through buying them (although in limited supply) from stores. Early in the game you may feel a little under powered, but thankfully you get points to place soon enough and the badassery begins. Hacking was something I found I needed early on to complete some of the early side quests, so a little protip is to invest in 2 or 3 of hacking as soon as you can. From there the choices are yours and they really are plentiful. I always find myself anxiously looking forward to the next point I'm going to receive to try out a new power or improve upon one. It's very addictive and you can see your character becoming better and better as time goes on.

In Deus Ex, you can focus on Stealth or Gunplay or also a mixture of the two. I'm going for the mixture. I'm finding that stealth is amazing and really fun. On the PC, holding the right mouse button sticks you to a wall in third person perspective giving you a wide view of the area. I'll take people out in the shadows as much as I can, but I also carry some weapons for when things inevitably go hairy. Stealth is so fun because of the tools that are given to you. You can approach someone from behind and perfom a quick stun or kill move to silently remove the enemy from combat. Be careful though, because if you only stun his buddies can wake him up and they will be alerted to your presence. Pull the body aside to avoid this and hide it well, just like you would in a Metal Gear Solid game.

No Caption Provided

Gunplay in DE:HR is nothing to scoff at either. It can be just as fun running from cover to cover mowing down enemies with your weapons. Weapon mods and augs that improve gunplay are a plenty so you can always tweak what you want to do or become. The mix of stealth and gunplay has been a blast so far and I'm really enjoying it.

The graphics in Deus Ex: HR are fantastic. The world has a very golden glow to it which sort of reminds me of a Blade Runner type world. There are some long load times between areas but they don't happen that often and I did find myself forgetting about the issue as time went on. I played this game on the PC with max settings and it was amazing. I haven't seen the console versions so I can't really speak to them.

One thing I typically don't touch on in first impressions is music but in this case, I think I have to. The music is hauntingly wonderful with a touch of despair. When the action gets heavy, the music reacts and really blends into the background while at the same time being ever present in your mind. The music reflects the mood and at times even caused some anxiety about what's around the corner. They did a great job with the music and a soundtrack wouldn't be a bore to listen to.

No Caption Provided

One final note about the game that really impressed me - the level of detail with the story. Everywhere I go there are emails, PDAs, eBooks, etc. waiting to be picking up/hacked and read. If you are a story nut like I am, you are going to have a field day. The story is very throught out and doesn't treat you like a dumb consumer. You will have no idea what some of the story items being referred to are at first, but remember them and it will pay out.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution can easily be categorized as a candidate for Game of the Year. Not many games pay so much attention to detail, show so much polish, and keep you as invested in the story as Deus Ex: Human Revolution has. I'm looking forward to completing the game to find out exactly what's going on in this world and give the game another playthrough with a different loadout of augmentations. I hope this first impressions proved helpful to you and if you have any questions about anything in the game, feel free to post a comment and I'll respond ASAP. Thanks for reading.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.