Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Aug 23, 2011

Human Revolution is the third game in the Deus Ex series, a prequel where players take control of augmented security officer Adam Jensen, and investigate attacks against Sarif Industries, a leader in augmentation technology.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution first impressions (PC version - Steam)

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Gage

Pros

Highly detailed environments

Large levels with several multiple paths to take advantage of, which explains the load times

Fine performance, minus SSAO, vsync on. The reported mouse sluggishness isn't happening on my system.

Musical cues that are throwbacks to the original game

• Ex: offices in intro set to a revisiting of the Unatco HQ theme

Interactivity on the level of the original game, which rewards exploration:

• passwords and codes written on notes, pdas, in emails
    • Unique and often helpful dialog from many bystander NPCs
    • number pads for secure items with 4 digit PINs
    • eBooks with snippits from articles or novels

AI is refined

• Enemies are quite aware and will run an effective search if they spot you

Cover system works well and familiar to Gears of War fans; i turned on the "toggle cover" option

Experience system tied to a wide array of customizable augmentations

Interface is very PC friendly; doesn't feel like a console-ported interface

Voice acting and dialog is good but not great

Cons

Initial troubles starting the game - fixed by moving/renaming an ati dll in the Windows system folder

Long load times - >30 seconds

Many unskippable logos on startup

My system specs:

• Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    • 4GB DDR2 800
    • GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
    • Installed on WD 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    • Running at 1920x1080, all visual options on except SSAO; I get a solid 60 FPS with occasional stutter. In my opinion this works well with a FOV of 90, which you can set in the in-game options.

Edit: added my system specs

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gage

Pros

Highly detailed environments

Large levels with several multiple paths to take advantage of, which explains the load times

Fine performance, minus SSAO, vsync on. The reported mouse sluggishness isn't happening on my system.

Musical cues that are throwbacks to the original game

• Ex: offices in intro set to a revisiting of the Unatco HQ theme

Interactivity on the level of the original game, which rewards exploration:

• passwords and codes written on notes, pdas, in emails
    • Unique and often helpful dialog from many bystander NPCs
    • number pads for secure items with 4 digit PINs
    • eBooks with snippits from articles or novels

AI is refined

• Enemies are quite aware and will run an effective search if they spot you

Cover system works well and familiar to Gears of War fans; i turned on the "toggle cover" option

Experience system tied to a wide array of customizable augmentations

Interface is very PC friendly; doesn't feel like a console-ported interface

Voice acting and dialog is good but not great

Cons

Initial troubles starting the game - fixed by moving/renaming an ati dll in the Windows system folder

Long load times - >30 seconds

Many unskippable logos on startup

My system specs:

• Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    • 4GB DDR2 800
    • GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512 MB
    • Installed on WD 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    • Running at 1920x1080, all visual options on except SSAO; I get a solid 60 FPS with occasional stutter. In my opinion this works well with a FOV of 90, which you can set in the in-game options.

Edit: added my system specs

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FritzDude

I'm currently playing this game on the 360 with the game installed (6.8Gb) and after an hour of playthrough i have not gotten a 30 seconds load screen, but only around 10 seconds, even though people said it has long load times, even longer on the consoles. So is this something more present further into the game? At this point i don't have any concs for the game, but i'm sure they will come sooner or later, as with every other game. I'm enjoying the game a lot. No technical issues what so ever.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ghost_cat

I was thinking about getting this for PC.  What are your system specs, and how is it running on your computer?

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @FritzDude said:

I'm currently playing this game on the 360 with the game installed (6.8Gb) and after an hour of playthrough i have not gotten a 30 seconds load screen, but only around 10 seconds, even though people said it has long load times, even longer on the consoles. So is this something more present further into the game? At this point i don't have any concs for the game, but i'm sure they will come sooner or later, as with every other game. I'm enjoying the game a lot. No technical issues what so ever.

Probably. I've heard the loading starts to be troublesome when you die.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So fucking hype. Have to awit till Friday here, but oh, how good the weekend will be. 

...well, when I get a moment to play it.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343

Very excited to get home tonight. :D

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm

Looks good so far. Unfortunately I work today, so the game should be waiting for me once I get home.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Mars_Cleric

this time tomorrow it comes out here

I'm kinda excited

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gage

I just came in to work, and this will be a long day. I'm already planning in my head how to best take on a room of 4 thugs that repeatedly thwart me.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

I'll be installing this on my 360 after hearing about the load times some people are experiencing.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TotalEklypse
    @RoyCampbell said:
    @FritzDude said:

Yea this gets annoying. Try not to die.. lol.

I've played for about 6 hours so far and don't feel like I have gotten anywhere. Which is great it is supposed to be a long game. I really get sidetracked a lot with everything.  
    I have had a couple tech issues and my system is very current. Took about 20 minutes to get it running smooth enough and pretty enough to enjoy. 

I like it a lot though. I really do. Haven't even gotten the fun upgrades yet. I am seriously curious if there is a newgame+ .. o how fun it would be to be all pimped out and get to start over once I beat it.
    Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gage

I'm interested in hearing some numbers from an SSD install. This gives me flashbacks of the original version of SiN.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13  Edited By MachoFantastico

Good to hear that the PC version at least seems solid, had my concerns. Might pick it up after all.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @TotalEklypse said:
    @RoyCampbell said:
    @FritzDude said:

Yea this gets annoying. Try not to die.. lol.
    Challenge accepted.
    tarquinbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tarquinbb

woot,  OP your system specs are lower than mine and i was expecting framerate problems on 1920x1080.

so the performance is better than the witcher 2?  (i had to lower the resolution on that game to get a stable framerate)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomeJerk

The long loads are peculiar, but this engine apparently is an old one made for consoles..?

I consider my 40gb SSD money well spent tbqh. When Friday comes I'm going for as many Ghost rewards as I can.

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gage

Yes it's definitely smoother than Witcher 2. I'm holding off on playing that one until I build a new gaming system.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thornie_delete

Anyone running this at max settings? I'm reading about some issues with the vsync capping the game at 30 FPS. Only way to fix it is by enabling triple buffering. Also, I'm hearing the game gets "framey" in certain spots even on high end machines... I'm thinking I'll wait for them to start patching the game before I start playing.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ghost_cat

Hmmm, with your specs like that, I guess PC is the way for me.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jams

I just got done playing it on a late 2010 iMac in boot camp. My main PC is undergoing some stuff so I figured I'd try it out on this computer. I have to say it runs really good at 1080x720 without vsync or AA on. I'm super happy with it. I'm actually pretty shocked that it runs good at all seeing as how this is the entry level iMac desktop.There are jaggies all over the place, but I've grown out of being a graphics whore a long time ago.

iMac Specs:

Intel i3 540 @ 3.07GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4670

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Karkarov

Lets not judge those load times hard just yet.  Look at the specs.  That is a decent pc, but not high end by any means.  If I get long load times on my pc tonight after work I will definitely post about it.  Then you can be worried ;p.  But somehow I think it will be fine.

Arlecchino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arlecchino

The only problem I've had with the game is the skybox. My god is it horrible.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By rjayb89

With how revered the original Deus Ex is among gaming communities, I'm very interested in playing this. Hopefully, that Live Quick Look later today (I don't know what time, but I'll be there) will quell my excitement for this game. I have too many games to play right now, and I've learned that as long as it's on Steam, it'll be on sale someday. Someday.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bocam

My game keeps fucking crashing

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Arlecchino said:

The only problem I've had with the game is the skybox. My god is it horrible.

Noticed this in the leak.

Guess they didn't change it.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Shabs

@Gage: Thanks for posting your specs. I was worried my laptop wouldn't quite cut it, but it has very similar specs than your machine (Core 2 Duo E8400 2.26Ghz, 9800M 1GB) and I have a lower-res screen (1440x900) so I think I'll be fine.

Does it gracefully handle a controller being plugged in?

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By RIDEBIRD

If the Internet wasn't split by a huge ocean, I would be playing right now. Sounds promising!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a weirdly specific question to ask. Do dead enemies disappear instantly, after a while or do they remain until you complete mission/load/switch area?

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gage

@TheSeductiveMoose: I do know for sure that neutralized guards stick around for a while, since you are given a tutorial explaining how you need to drag bodies out of sight of patrol paths, to keep the alert level low. I haven't backtracked to see if any of my takedowns have faded from the world.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog

When you drag someone while holding your gun, do you hold it with both hands?! I NEED TO KNOW. Also, can you turn off the highlights on usable objects? How deep is the dialog? How deep is the progression system? Multiple endings? Replay value? Graphics? How customizable are weapons? Animation? Physics?

I'm so happy that this turned out to be good.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ChaosDent

@TheSeductiveMoose: Enemies do not disappear. Dead bodies will alert other enemies if they are spotted and unconscious enemies can be woken up.

@valrog: Wow, that's a lot of questions... Yes, you continue to "hold" your gun while invisibly dragging a body. Except for the lack of visual cues telling me whether I've latched on I don't really care. You can turn off the highlight (and the waypoint markers if you care to), you'll get only the onscreen prompt when you are at interaction distance. To be honest, I was annoyed by the highlight in videos but I seem to prefer it in actual play. It felt a little like cheating when I could easily spot a hidden vent around a huge stack of boxes, but hey, Jensen is augmented for a reason.

The dialog with some characters are fairly involved, giving you a chance to convince them to do what you want if you can read their emotional state using various cues (there's an aug to help with this). Most dialogs are fairly equivalent to Mass Effect though, you have a chance to be nice or snarky then you get a series of "Tell me more about ...." options.

Character progression is handled entirely through inventory and augmentations. You unlock "praxis" by gaining enough XP or finding the items laying around and you can use them to unlock any of your augmentations. There are a couple of fairly deep trees including stealth, combat, hacking and strength and a few short or one-off leaves like the social enhancer. Most of the augments are either passive or activated in context like the hacking mods and the melee takedown ability, a few like invisibility are activated on the F1-F4 keys (probably the d-pad on consoles). You can augment your aim stability but most of the weapon's effectiveness seems to come from weapon mods that you can equip in the inventory. There seem to be quite a few weapon mod types.

I can't speak to your other questions, since I haven't come close to finishing the game. I think the game looks nice and I've heard that there are multiple endings and several reviewers mentioned a desire to play more than once. I'm optimistic that the ending will turn out as well as the beginning.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AssInAss
    @valrog said:
    When you drag someone while holding your gun, do you hold it with both hands?! I NEED TO KNOW. Also, can you turn off the highlights on usable objects? How deep is the dialog? How deep is the progression system? Multiple endings? Replay value? Graphics? How customizable are weapons? Animation? Physics? I'm so happy that this turned out to be good.
    TOO MANY QUESTIONS!  Enhance your calm!  

You holster your gun when dragging bodies, I think. You can turn off highlights in menu. Dialog is multiple choices, no light/dark system. It has graphics, animations, and physics (localised hit reactions on enemy's body when shot in different places + ragdoll = funny). 
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gage@ChaosDent: Thanks for the answers. Seem like this'll be a purchase then.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By valrog
    @ChaosDent: @AssInAss: Thank you for your answers. I really appreciate them. This is turning out to be everything I hoped it to become. One last question I forgot to ask earlier. What about the clothing? Is it automatic depending on your playstyle (Trench coat for stealth, armor for more direct approaches) or do can you decide on your own what to wear and stuff?

But anyway, thanks again. The wait is killing me.
    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jams: What kind of fps do you get with those specs, and on what in-game settings? Thanks. 
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Jams

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@Jams: What kind of fps do you get with those specs, and on what in-game settings? Thanks.

I left everything on Normal, but set the resolution to 1080x720. I deselected Vsync and turned off any Anti Aliasing. I'm not sure what FPS I'm running exactly but it seems to be anywhere from 20 to 40 fps with the occasional dip here and there. It's definitely been playable and if I needed to I could always turn off shadows or post processing which would probably bump up the FPS's dramatically.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By management

@mracoon said:

I'll be installing this on my 360 after hearing about the load times some people are experiencing.

Installing it is supposedly going to make a huge difference on the 360.

I kinda want this for my PC, but I think I'm getting it for the 360, just to be sure.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

As a constant quick-saver, I found the loading times in this game to get pretty annoying pretty quickly. A no-kill stealth run ain't easy with load times like that.

But I'm finding the game pretty fun, definitely a more accesible title, but it seems to preserve what made Deus Ex matter to people, so I'm happy I guess.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jams: Ah thanks for the reply man, seriously considering the pc version now.
    DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By DonutFever

It froze up 3 times in half an hour, but hasn't again after playing it for 3 hours.

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ds8k

PC version is decent except for the loading. I've got the game on a 10,000RPM 6Gbps HDD and every single load takes 30 seconds.

EDIT: Of course after writing that the game crashes twice on me...

Gage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gage

One positive note about the load times that I just noticed: on the load/continue screens from the title screen, you can toggle story chapters left and right and catch up on the gist of or refresh yourself on what's been going on so far in the life of Adam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.